Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The exodus begins (Watson, Gunter. Souare to be released)

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    I only want us to keep Washington and Forster-Caskey. Would try and keep Davison and loan him out again but think it’s likely he would reject that in favour of a permanent contract elsewhere 

• Options
    This is nice news. Watson has some ability but no legs at all, only joined us to watch over his son who plays for Palace, a has-been sort of player in the truest sense.

Gunter clearly only cares about international/country football watching his performances for us.Very ordinary and old player. Good riddance

souare was a gamble with a potentially very high payoff but it seems like he’s forgotten how to play football after his injury and never looks confident. 
  • Options
    Just seen that Davison has scored 8 and assisted 2 in 17 apps for Swindon...  Not bad for a 22 year old. Can he cement a place in the first-team here next season? Probably not, but would be a shame to lose him on a free 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    No surprise but good to see it confirmed.

Decisions to come on:

Henderson
    Matthews
    Inniss
    Pearce
    Purrington
    JFC
    Davison
    Washington

Plus 6 loanees will be going:

Famewo
    Castillo
    Lee
    John
    Leko
    Burstow

Also have Kirk who seems likely he’ll be sold or loaned out again.

On replacements TS said 2-5 permanents and 5 or 6 loans to come in. That must be assuming no one under contract is unexpectedly sold.
    My guess as to what will happen

Henderson - definitely released
    Matthews - 50/50 chances of a FOURTH one year deal
    Inniss - 50/50
    Pearce - 50/50 player/coach role but the squad number rules count against having a player/coach
    Purrington - 50/50 depending on who else stays
    JFC - new contract offered
    Davison - new contract offered but might choose to leave to get regular football
    Washington - new contract offered

Of course the players may choose not to stay themselves, even if offered a new deal
    Agree on all of that, but i think we'll offer either Inniss or Pearce a deal, but not both.

Wouldn't be against giving Purrington another year, certainly not as first choice but he can provide cover for both LB and LCB and i think with the new squad limit restrictions, players who can cover more than 1 position will be key.
    Yes, Purrington can play
    LCB - maybe he'll improve as he gets used to that position
    LWB - the role he played at the start of Jacko's reign, when the attacking winger was on the right hand side. Indeed he was a goal scoring threat in that role
    LB - when Jacko is sacked in October, and the new manager wants us to play 433/4231...
  • Options
    Personally I think if we keep Pearce, Matthews and Purrington, we’re setting the bar too low in terms of quality.  Inniss should probably go because he’s likely to break down at some point next year.  The only two I would keep are Washington and JFC.  I’m not even that big a fan of JFC, but I know many of us are and think he can do a job etc, so let’s see.

It’s clear Purrington, Matthews and Pearce can’t do a job on a regular basis, otherwise we’d be higher up than 12th.  Each of them give you the odd okay performance, but to have all 3 of them retained, available for selection wouldn’t push us on.

All of the loans can go back to wherever it is they came from 
  • Options
    These 3 players were never going to be retained. 
    The telling thing for me will be the likes of
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    None of these plus a few others are good enough for promotion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Those three would be 37, 33 and 32 respectively by the start of next season. Replacing them with three 22 year olds would bring down the average age of the squad by almost two years. We still need experience which is why I would lean towards retaining Pearce but the balance had to shift.
  • Options
    Hurrah! Next!
  • Options
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    Well Lee and Leko aren't ours and Morgan isn't out of contract. Davidson has been a supporter for a long time, releasing fans isn't a good business model IMO. 
  • Options
    I think we should moving Clare up to CM. 
    As good as he has been there has been time where we have cried for an out & out CB. 
    Plus the energy he brings and the way he carries the ball would be a major asset.
    I think moving Clare from RCB should be the last thing we do, has been consistently really good there all season and offers us a different dimension when bringing it out from the back. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.
    That's mental. Clare is not a natural defender and has cost us too many goals in the past couple of months from poor decisions, positioning and backing away. Just because he looks flashy taking the ball out of defence when there's little pressure on the ball, does not make him a good centre back.

I'm much more interested in seeing Elerewe step up, who seems to have the exact attributes needed for this formation we are seemingly married to.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Of those who are out of contract or on loan... JFC, Washington and Purrington are the only ones I would like us to retain. Pearce is a maybe, as the 19th man in the squad.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    I can see us keeping more defenders than we’d like because so many are out of contract or on loan.

I’ll be disappointed if Inniss stays as he doesn’t play enough games and when fit can’t play twice a week.

Can see Pearce staying as back up for Lavelle.

I’d like to see Matthews go. Could see DJ as the back up RWB but it could leave us short if we need to switch to a back four, though Clare moving across is an option.

Purrington will probably stay as a versatile squad player.

Davison might step up to L1 in time but he’s never going to get the game time he needs here to develop. Not realistic to loan him out for a year or two at his age when he can get a a good longer term deal elsewhere.
    Do we not need a right footed back up for Lavelle? Preferably a taller version. 
    Not when we only use them as the central CB in a back 3.

Ideally we need two left footed CBs to replace Famewo, though I can see Purrington staying and covering there.
    Ta Scoham. So if we lose Pearce and Famewo we’re left with Lavelle as the only recognised CB. Clare is decent on the right, Purrington a bit less decent on the left. 
    I think they’ll keep Pearce. Is Famewo definitely leaving?
    We clearly need a to bring in two solid backs, at least one of whom needs to be dominant in the air. 
    There’s also Elerewe and Ness, but not sure if they’re really ready to step up. Maybe Barker as well, although he’s not the tallest. 
  • Options
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    Well Lee and Leko aren't ours and Morgan isn't out of contract. Davidson has been a supporter for a long time, releasing fans isn't a good business model IMO. 
    is this right? So stuck with him for another season then.
  • Options
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    Yeah it is, I posted a list of the remaining first team players out of contract earlier in the thread.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ef3c2a3c6c7e/albie-morgan-and-josh-davison-sign-new-multi-year-contracts

Knowing our luck Morgan will come good next season, refuse to sign a new deal and then leave for minimal compensation.
  • Options
    Having watched Matthews half-arse his way through the win at Cambridge, it would be a disgrace if we offered him a new contract
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    Wish they’d bloody release me!

But, seriously, whether a player is a fan or not shouldn’t matter a jot. If they are good enough then keep them, if they aren’t then don’t. 
  • Options
    Next will be Henderson …. 

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    Yeah it is, I posted a list of the remaining first team players out of contract earlier in the thread.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ef3c2a3c6c7e/albie-morgan-and-josh-davison-sign-new-multi-year-contracts

Knowing our luck Morgan will come good next season, refuse to sign a new deal and then leave for minimal compensation.
    Assuming we resign JFC, Washington, Purrington and Pearce and we need two players for every position... this is the bare minimum requirement.

GK: MacG, AMB

RCB: Clare, NEW
    CB: Lavelle, Pearce
    LCB: Purrington, NEW

RWB: DJ, NEW
    RCM: Gilbey, Morgan
    CM: Dobson, NEW
    LCM: Fraser, Forster-Caskey
    LWB: CBT, NEW

ST: Stockley, Aneke, Washington, NEW

Minimum: x2 CB, x2 WB, x1 CM, x1 ST

However, I would ideally prefer x3 CM and x2 ST - I am not convinced by Gilbey or Morgan as part of this midfield core, nor am I confident in going into a 46 game season with Aneke being one of four strikers. He needs to be the luxury, secret-weapon 5th option.

There is obviously squad caps and exemptions for young players to be considered as part of the mix.
  • Options

wow, really didn't expect that, he's more than earned a new deal. Gutted.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 

Assuming we resign JFC, Washington, Purrington and Pearce and we need two players for every position... this is the bare minimum requirement.

However, I would ideally prefer x3 CM and x2 ST - I am not convinced by Gilbey or Morgan as part of this midfield core, nor am I confident in going into a 46 game season with Aneke being one of four strikers. He needs to be the luxury, secret-weapon 5th option.

There is obviously squad caps and exemptions for young players to be considered as part of the mix.
    I would much rather we got six really good players than tried, and most likley fail, to get 10 or 12.
  • Options
    The lack of news about Matthews is worrying. 

Hopefully just means they plan on playing him the rest of the season before moving him on. 

I can't deal with another 1 year contract for the waste of space. 
    If there were odds I'd lump on the waster being here again next season. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 

I would much rather we got six really good players than tried, and most likley fail, to get 10 or 12.
    Totally agree that the players we bring in must be starting calibre. They cannot be squad fillers, we already have a dozen of those - next season's bench has to consist of the likes of Clare, Purrington, Washington etc.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The others staying or going isn't really as important.  Those 3 and the 6 loans create quite a lot of gaps that need filling. 

Saying that I hope Washington and JFC don't leave because we fannied around and we find out at the last minute (like Amos and Chuks).

Keeping Pearce AND Inniss would be mental.

Keeping, or not, Henderson matters neither way.   Doesn't count to the cap so its only wages, that's Thomas's problem, not mine.

I would actually rather keep Purrington and Matthews over some of the players that are under contract, especially now there effective backups have gone. 
    Henderson isn't needed. He's not good or fit enough to challenge McG and would be blocking the pathway for our younger keepers as well.

The big keeping question is whether AMB is good enough to be a our number one next season
    It's incredible that we have a second choice keeper that isn't good enough to challenge one of the worst goalkeepers I've seen play for us in 33 years of support.
  • Options

Source? 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I’d probably keep Pearce and Mathews. I wouldn’t want them as starters but they’re the steady Eddie’s that plug gaps in the squad. 

Unless we’ve got some unbelievable youngsters coming through in their positions, we’ll do well to find better back ups at this level