Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The exodus begins (Watson, Gunter. Souare to be released)

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Next will be Henderson …. 

Source? 
    The fairy's in his head.
  • Options

@Dazzler21 time to fire up the ITK list … we’ve got our first one
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Source? 
    https://youtu.be/pM76LtznNrc
  • Options
    I would like to see a couple of our academy team promoted, if they are good enough. Henry? Kanu? Millwall have done well with three of theirs this year and even palace have stuck gold with their left back. Plus, I can't recall the last time we spent big on a player who really blossomed. Ajose was a disaster. Taylor and CBT were freebies. Baure perhaps? Admittedly there was the Bonne saga, but ha! we got lucky there!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We'll replace Watson by re-signing him in August.

• Options

@Dazzler21 time to fire up the ITK list … we’ve got our first one
    I just read that as Henderson will be getting a new deal. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I think we should moving Clare up to CM. 
    As good as he has been there has been time where we have cried for an out & out CB. 
    Plus the energy he brings and the way he carries the ball would be a major asset.

Why can't Clare be the Right wing back as he does have pace ?  As long as he is in the team he won't mind where he plays and he has more pace than Matthews.  Sean Clare is a tad erratic but all our players are I guess that's why their in League 1.

He played well at RCB but he loves to charge forward and that's why we do get hit on the break if the wing back and the RCB is upfield.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    These 3 players were never going to be retained. 
    The telling thing for me will be the likes of
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    None of these plus a few others are good enough for promotion. 
    Well Lee and Leko aren't ours and Morgan isn't out of contract. Davidson has been a supporter for a long time, releasing fans isn't a good business model IMO. 
    is this right? So stuck with him for another season then.
    Yeah it is, I posted a list of the remaining first team players out of contract earlier in the thread.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ef3c2a3c6c7e/albie-morgan-and-josh-davison-sign-new-multi-year-contracts

Knowing our luck Morgan will come good next season, refuse to sign a new deal and then leave for minimal compensation.
    Assuming we resign JFC, Washington, Purrington and Pearce and we need two players for every position... this is the bare minimum requirement.

GK: MacG, AMB

RCB: Clare, NEW
    CB: Lavelle, Pearce
    LCB: Purrington, NEW

RWB: DJ, NEW
    RCM: Gilbey, Morgan
    CM: Dobson, NEW
    LCM: Fraser, Forster-Caskey
    LWB: CBT, NEW

ST: Stockley, Aneke, Washington, NEW

Minimum: x2 CB, x2 WB, x1 CM, x1 ST

However, I would ideally prefer x3 CM and x2 ST - I am not convinced by Gilbey or Morgan as part of this midfield core, nor am I confident in going into a 46 game season with Aneke being one of four strikers. He needs to be the luxury, secret-weapon 5th option.

There is obviously squad caps and exemptions for young players to be considered as part of the mix.
    We need two more strikers simply because Aneke can't start. Should two from Washington/Stockley/the new striker get injured and/or are suspended at the same time (as they were this season) then we have one forward left to start a game and another that can come on as sub. That isn't enough.
  • Options
    As good as he has been there has been time where we have cried for an out & out CB. 
    Plus the energy he brings and the way he carries the ball would be a major asset.

Why can't Clare be the Right wing back as he does have pace ?  As long as he is in the team he won't mind where he plays and he has more pace than Matthews.  Sean Clare is a tad erratic but all our players are I guess that's why their in League 1.

He played well at RCB but he loves to charge forward and that's why we do get hit on the break if the wing back and the RCB is upfield.
    Played in that position for some of the Accrington away game, did not look good/comfortable 
  • Options
    Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out lads!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    Well Lee and Leko aren't ours and Morgan isn't out of contract. Davidson has been a supporter for a long time, releasing fans isn't a good business model IMO. 
    Yeah it is, I posted a list of the remaining first team players out of contract earlier in the thread.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ef3c2a3c6c7e/albie-morgan-and-josh-davison-sign-new-multi-year-contracts

Knowing our luck Morgan will come good next season, refuse to sign a new deal and then leave for minimal compensation.
    Assuming we resign JFC, Washington, Purrington and Pearce and we need two players for every position... this is the bare minimum requirement.

However, I would ideally prefer x3 CM and x2 ST - I am not convinced by Gilbey or Morgan as part of this midfield core, nor am I confident in going into a 46 game season with Aneke being one of four strikers. He needs to be the luxury, secret-weapon 5th option.

There is obviously squad caps and exemptions for young players to be considered as part of the mix.
    We need two more strikers simply because Aneke can't start. Should two from Washington/Stockley/the new striker get injured and/or are suspended at the same time (as they were this season) then we have one forward left to start a game and another that can come on as sub. That isn't enough.
    I agree that having Aneke who can only play 30 minutes a game means that we can't really count on him being one of the four.

Anymore than that though and we'll have to rely on players from our youth teams like Kanu, Leaburn... we can't carry 6+ senior strikers.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 

I agree that having Aneke who can only play 30 minutes a game means that we can't really count on him being one of the four.

Anymore than that though and we'll have to rely on players from our youth teams like Kanu, Leaburn... we can't carry 6+ senior strikers.
    That's what we tried with Burstow.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    What I like about Davison is the straightforward nature of his approach to football, his honesty I suppose. I know there are better finishers around, but no better triers that I can think of.
    He is not defeatist. I even think there has been noticeable improvement in Josh since he has been here.
    I wish he had been here when Washington and Stockley were out and all we had was a young and somewhat bewildered Burstow.
    Josh Davison is a decent example of you get what you see, the judgement is do you see a player of value to Charlton at the moment?
    On balance I would keep him if a sensible deal could be done.
    I don't understand people saying bring back Davison but get rid of Washington. 

Your point about liking him because he's a trier also goes to another issue where people would have a 'trier' 'put in shift' but complain about 'flair players' who can't tackle or don't charge around the pitch like a headless chicken. There is a disconnect between fans crying out for a creative influence and then not giving them any chance to showcase what they can do in our disfunctional team setup which has been evident for years. 

The screams of despair when Fraser left MK for Ipswich (many said why weren't we in for him etc etc etc) were heard everywhere! Now he has been ill, not trained, played out of position, hindered by a static non motion set of team mates and got neck strain watching the ball fly over his head, and certain sections are already calling him a flop. Lee started encouragingly, had a song done for him and then didn't rip the league a new one and now people are saying we shouldn't consider giving him a permanent contract.

The last few years have been littered with creative/attacking tools that have turned out to be an ineffective bunch of tools. Maddison wasthe most infuriating, was capable of brilliance but was never given the platform to succeed and then his mental demons took over. But was Bowyer EVER going to give him a real chance? He had stellar stats but didn't run "around enough". Oztumer, Williams, Fosu, all 'creative' but didn't 'do enough for the team'.

Is this focus we have of players "putting in a shift" and diving into tackles left right and center detrimental to allowing them to be creative and do their number one job?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 

You can't just keep buying strikers in case of injury though. Not with a squad size limit.

Five, including Aneke, will be enough and also be more than most other sides.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 

You can't just keep buying strikers in case of injury though. Not with a squad size limit.

Rightly or wrongly; Stockley will be our No. 1 striker, Aneke has a long contract, Washington is important to our play with his running and pressing.

Struggle to see a Stockton or anyone remotely useful wanting to sign to not be first choice. And Kanu and the other kids are just that, kids... Not ready for the hustle, bustle and kickings in L1... 
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Karl Robinson signed him with the intention of converting him to RWB but it didn't work out. Clare became unhappy playing in that position and was loaned out to Burton. When he came back, he made it clear that he wanted to compete for the central midfield role and not be a RWB. That lead to him coming to us. So I don't think he wants to play there.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Source? 
    It’s not a source… it’s a relish.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    995632 said:
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 

Rightly or wrongly; Stockley will be our No. 1 striker, Aneke has a long contract, Washington is important to our play with his running and pressing.

Struggle to see a Stockton or anyone remotely useful wanting to sign to not be first choice. And Kanu and the other kids are just that, kids... Not ready for the hustle, bustle and kickings in L1... 
    Anywhere on the pitch, if there is a player available that's better than what we have, we should be interested in them. No room for stagnating in football.

Stockley, despite scoring a few goals this season, hasn't exactly lit the place up with his link play and we should be on the look out for someone to displace him from that no.1 striker role. If the strikers we're talking to aren't confident that they can do that, they probably don't have the right attitude for a promotion push. Healthy competition for places is the way forward.

If we go to someone like Stockton and say that we believe he has been better than Stockley this season and that the shirt for next season is his for as long as he produces the goods, that has much more chance of success than telling him he's going to be one of four and Stockley is the main man at the moment so you might get some splinters until he's injured/suspended.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Source? 
    Shirty….he has no source.
    He constantly plucks things out of the air that have a certain amount of likely hood…..or that he has picked up from social media elsewhere.
    If it happens, he looks like he has inside info, if it doesn’t he just ignores his comment or anyone who will pull him up, if it does he will one way or the other claim superior knowledge through his connections.
    Been doing it for years.😴😴😴
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WIOTOS I'll start rejoicing.
    I imagine they will hold back on any official announcement until decisions have been made on all OOC players.
    10-4 - WIOTOS? PDQ ASAP?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 

Wouldn’t want Pearce as 2nd choice, need another CB to compete with Lavelle, if there is a spare spot in the squad then Pearce can stay as well. 

Don’t think Purrington is good enough as a LCB, would prefer him as backup LWB if anything but I’m hoping we don’t offer him a new deal as I think we could get better in either position. 

Morgan I would loan out, he won’t learn anything being our 5th/6th choice for yet another year. He needs to go and play 40 games in league 2. JFC, Dobson and Fraser is a good league 1 midfield (though all a bit small so the 2 outside CBs need to be big)

Starting 11 something like this but would like to see AMB given a go pre-season and maybe the new striker could displace Washington. 

MacG
    NEW, Lavelle, NEW
    NEW, JFC, Dobson, Fraser, CBT
    Stockley Washington 

• Options
    We need a new keeper. MacG is a complete liability in my opinion.
    I agree but he still has a contract so will be here next season. Hopefully Maynard-Brewer is the real deal and can take his place in pre-season. Or we can sign another keeper with MacG as backup. Unfortunately I think it's likely he will be number 1 next season but hope I'm wrong
  • Options
    Souare, was a punt worth taking but seems that car crash has rid him of athletic & football abilities unfortunately, Gunter was ok, Watson a Bowyer signing I believe but well and truly past his worse/best. 

I wish them all well, Gunter will find a club….he’s a Welsh international after all 
  • Options
    IMHO Washington is our best striker by a country mile, we just don't play to his strengths. He makes run after run along the line but we don't often play it around the back. I think he'll go elsewhere on his own accord.

Good luck to Watson Gunter & Souare (I must admit I'd forgotten about him). Watson had a good career, we just had him about 4 years too late and held onto him a year too long (I'll never forgive keeping him and not Pratley!). Gunter has been a but underwhelming but you don't play that many games for your country unless you have something about you.

A huge clear out and recruitment drive is needed, but I'm not confident we'll get either right.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Matthews 
    Pearce 
    Inniss 
    Morgan 
    Lee 
    Leco 
    Davidson 
    Wish they’d bloody release me!

But, seriously, whether a player is a fan or not shouldn’t matter a jot. If they are good enough then keep them, if they aren’t then don’t. 
    Surely Davidson was a pun on the name (Jim rather than Josh).   Well, that's why I lol'd the original comment.  If not I will remove my lol !  I may have miss understood on account of being drunk though.
  • Options
    It’s a tough call when you genuinely like certain players but realise they probably aren’t quite good enough to get promotion 

Love Conor Washington but as a comparison he’s Garry Nelson (albeit Nelse was a higher level)

Great channel runners will get you 10 goals every season, but not promotion

When Nelse left we got Mendonca in and went up

Same with JFC (O’Connell/Kinsella)

Club needs a proper shake up, 8 new players with 6 straight in the first team

BTW I would give Conor and JFC a new contract as they deserve it 
  • Options
    The more and more I read and think about this subject, the more I conclude that the system is the greatest problem.

I'd be happy for example with Purrington as number one LB and Clare as CM in a 442. 

Why do we insist on making a simple task complicated?
  • Options
    Do we really want to give JFC a new contract? I know he is good on his day, but he plays 1 game a season!