Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• What on earth is he playing at. I wonder if people will continue to worship the ground that Sandgaard walks on after this appointment, absolutely bizarre.
  • My guess is he was the only candidate not to insist on control over transfers.
    In 2018 Garner was reported to have turned down the opportunity to become manager of Bradford City due to a lack of assurances over control of the team.
  • We've swapped Johnnie Jackson plus compensation (to both parties) for Ben Garner.

I've been waiting for us to rival the business acumen shown by re-signing Aneke on a 3.5 year deal for £300k six months after he left on a free. We've only gone and topped it.
  • edited May 2022
    An appointment to get everyone excited before the new season. He had a free hit with bringing in an exciting appointment and it ain’t it. Lose money by the bucket load why not chuck a few quid at an appointment that gets the fans up for it. 

Please prove me wrong ffs.
  • RedRobin said:
    I will say Swindon impressed me last season when I watched them, played good attacking football. They played Forest Green Rovers off the park away from home. They looked good against City in FA cup, although City’s class showed. 
    I want to get out of this league! How did Swindon get on
    this year? 
  • My guess is he was the only candidate not to insist on control over transfers.
    In 2018 Garner was reported to have turned down the opportunity to become manager of Bradford City due to a lack of assurances over control of the team.
    A lot can change in four years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ben fucking Garner.  Nothing against him & really hope he does well, but that's seriously underwhelming & so disappointing
  • Now we know why Josh was kept and Connor let go.
  • If true, I really don't mind the appointment, agree or disagree but Thomas has a model in his head which is mainly come from bumming up to Danish CEO at Brentford as far as can tell which is basically he wants to play a set way and will only employ managers around that way. Clearly this is the only candidate which came in line with that way of thinking
  • I’m not sure this is going to work well, and would love to know what has convinced Thomas (he’s cheap and compliant?) really want to be wrong, but am yet to be convinced, will this fella really attract players, or drag us into league 2?
  • Another ex-Palace wanker.

F**k off Ben and f**k off Thomas
  • Sponsored links:

• McKirdy and their right back at the end of the season (Egbo?) looked decent, but I am severely underwhelmed by this 
  • Shambles if appointed 
  • Fuck me, that is one underwhelming appointment. May as well of kept JJ.

This guy was sacked by Bristol Rovers and had a half decent season at Swindon in L2, we seriously saying there wasn't anyone better available? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ben Garner actually ticks a lot of boxes.

"he's a phenomenal person. He's a top, top coach, his attention to detail is unreal and he sees things that we don't see. He's a class act all around".

Very much focused on developing young players.  Similar back ground to Beale in that he has a lot of coaching experience despite being quite young.

Knows the area as well so would pass the sat nav test.
    #boom 
  • I bet Garner can hardly believe his luck that he got the head coach job at as big a club as Charlton. 
    Anyway he might just be the next Lennie Lawrence, so good luck to him. I remain sceptical however.
  • Night all, sleep tight.
  • Wow. Might be wrong but does this sound like the top choices turned us down and Garner was lower down the list?
    Perhaps Taylor and Beale couldn’t live with TS and MS being involved. I dunno.
    Good luck to BG. As least he’s being allowed to bring in his own backroom staff.