Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Just been told that TS is definitely over next week with “other shareholders”
    Read into that what you will.
    If the "other shareholders" part is true, it leads to two possible conclusions:
    1) TS is unwilling to bankroll our current losses on his own, i.e. it's more expensive than he thought it would be to compete
    2) TS is bringing in extra investment to get us where he wants us to be, for the same reason as above

To a certain extent both could be considered "a good thing"(tm). If there's extra investors then it will dilute Tommy's control over the club and hopefully lead to a more structured decision making process, and probably a CEO being put in place who would represent all investors interests. And of course extra money (if it is option 2) is always nice to have at any level.

The hope from our point of view has to be that TS has realised that the squad simply isn't good enough and needs a major overhaul rather than the cheaper incremental improvements he was hoping for. My additional hope would be that he realised that he can't get the losses down whilst he doesn't own the ground, doesn't own Sparrows Lane and isn't a Cat 1 academy, and that additional investment is the only way to achieve those aims in a timely fashion.

Or maybe he's just got a rich mate who's a drummer and has convinced him to invest on the basis that they can perform together at the valley whenever they like and 10,000+ people have to watch them
    Someone in the club told me, wouldn’t elaborate further, also said that genuinely doesn’t know who has the job or if anyones been offered it, but I would expect them to say that regardless tbh 
    Fair enough, and all interesting stuff.

If TS is over next week then you'd expect an official announcement either not long before he arrives, or just after. He's going to want to be in videos/photos with the new manager either at announcement or very shortly afterwards,
    Only we can fuck up the announcement of a new manager, if it is BG imagine what a let down the news and video will be when its made official. 

Certain people on here will be tearing the walls down in a week if BG has not signed 6 players, never mind been photographed with scarfy. 
    Might not happen anyway. My  understanding is that Scarfy is deeply unhappy about the new performance related contract he's been offered. (He must be seen in photographs of a minimum of 6 successful appointments.) In addition he and the club are miles apart on payments for his image rights.  
  • I think we are probably only still interviewing as our top choices, I.e. Beale etc have said "thanks, but no thanks", and that the Garner story has been leaked to the press on purpose to see what kind of response it would get. Can't see him being our next manager
  • The thing that’s interesting me most now is the comment by DA9 that Sandgaard is coming over with “other investors” Am I missing something because I thought TS was the sole owner ? 
    I’m glad someone else brought that up as I thought the same 🤔
  • Loving the faux loyalty and enthusiasm for the new coach no one had never heard of until five minutes ago but suddenly everyone now acknowledges as the next Klopp.

Big and totally unnecessary gamble from our owner if true at a time when he can't afford many more mistakes.   

Bit of a bold statement when nobody knows why he was appointed over Taylor or Beale or how he interviewed compared to them.

he has a better league 2 win rate than Taylor (okay, over less games) and has a similar coaching cv to Beale.

why is it an unnecessary gamble? This is football, aren't all appointments a gamble? Were curbishley, Lawrence, Powell and bowyer all gambles? As was Ferguson at Man U!

I don't know if garner is good or not, time will tell.  Just because he was under the radar, is he less of a gamble than Taylor?
     I think it's more to do with people presumably thinking Sandgaard took little advice again and acted on his own instinct, which is revealing itself to be pretty poor.

He really didn't help himself with his delusions of premier League and European football as his first utterings when he walked through the door.
    People tend to remember those sort of things, and when you're scratching around looking for managers and you come up with a non descript fella who did ok in league 2 it makes those statement evermore baffling.
  • The thing that’s interesting me most now is the comment by DA9 that Sandgaard is coming over with “other investors” Am I missing something because I thought TS was the sole owner ? 
    Other shareholders but yes interesting
  • Nobody knows who will be successful. 

I wasn't one of the Adkins supporters when he was appointed, but can hardly get too smug about it considering that my preferences around the time when Bowyer started losing the plot were Paul Cook who flopped at Ipswich and the Cowleys who've been average at Pompey.
  • Is this new investors or people in the background we didn’t know existed?
    I asked him straight away about this and he said no other shareholders and has no intention of bringing any on board. 
  • Are shareholders and investors the same?, if not DA9 said shareholders. Is this less exciting news than if it were investors?.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    paulfox said:
    Are shareholders and investors the same?, if not DA9 said shareholders. Is this less exciting news than if it were investors?.

It's a private company and the investors could be loaning money at an interest rate of return rather than purchasing shares and receiving dividends/ seeking long term capital growth returns.

But investors could also be shareholders of course.
  • I'm sure somebody would've picked up new shareholders on Companies House.
  • Valley11 said:
    Is this new investors or people in the background we didn’t know existed?
    He means his wife. 😉
  • Are Mrs Sandgaard and Martin shareholders?
  • DA9 said:
    paulfox said:
    Are shareholders and investors the same?, if not DA9 said shareholders. Is this less exciting news than if it were investors?.
    I was told other shareholders, club employees very own words, not mine.
    My response was that it implies to me something interesting/announcement was going to happen, could be new manager, could be new kit deal launched etc, I got a no comment/don’t know. 
    What they did say was that TS was aware of mistakes, specifically Fill The Valley, great idea, wrongly executed, and there is other recruitment going on behind the scenes in other areas to improve things. 
    Thanks, let’s wait and see then.👍
  • Chunes said:
    I don't understand how we can still be interviewing managers. How many bloody managers are we interviewing?
    It would be interesting to know. My guess is not very many at all!
  • paulfox said:

It's a private company and the investors could be loaning money at an interest rate of return rather than purchasing shares and receiving dividends/ seeking long term capital growth returns.

But investors could also be shareholders of course.
    👍
  • Nobody knows who will be successful. 

I wasn't one of the Adkins supporters when he was appointed, but can hardly get too smug about it considering that my preferences around the time when Bowyer started losing the plot were Paul Cook who flopped at Ipswich and the Cowleys who've been average at Pompey.
    That’s the reality isn’t it. We’d all have welcomed Paul Cook I think and a good case could have been made for the Cowleys. Anyone we appoint could only ever be a gamble. No idea if Garners will be our man but I’m hopeful he’ll bring new ideas and quality coaching which is something I think we’ve lacked for quite some time. 
  • Sponsored links:

He said "other shareholders" indicating they are existing people who already own shares, probably his wife and Martin.

"Other Investors" would indicate new money but that is not what DA9 said. 
  • From my perspective, Garner could be better, the same or worse than JJ. As JJ wasn't given a chance to fail I don't know. I hope he is better of course, but I don't think anybody can know that yet which makes sacking JJ a bit silly IMO. Having said that, it will cost Sandgaard more if he does get it wrong and its his money. I will get behind Garner and hope he is the man for the job.
    He said "other shareholders" indicating they are existing people who already own shares, probably his wife and Martin.

Sorry, just seen lots of replies like this above.
  • DA9 said:
    paulfox said:
    I was told other shareholders, club employees very own words, not mine.
    My response was that it implies to me something interesting/announcement was going to happen, could be new manager, could be new kit deal launched etc, I got a no comment/don’t know. 
    What they did say was that TS was aware of mistakes, specifically Fill The Valley, great idea, wrongly executed, and there is other recruitment going on behind the scenes in other areas to improve things. 
    Well I got a phone call this afternoon seeing if I would be interested in buying a hospitality package. We also discussed ST's as I've held off from buying one just yet.

So there is lots of "selling" going on atm......just a shame the club haven't really got a product to sell just yet. No manager & no new players to get excited about. Maybe in a month or twos time would be a better time to start asking these type of questions. 

Yes I got the quote wrong. Mea culpa. Still it’s interesting ? because it’s an odd comment if it means wifey and Martin

Yes I got the quote wrong. Mea culpa. Still it’s interesting ? because it’s an odd comment if it means wifey and Martin
    No problem Shooters, no disrespect to DA9 but all of it is hearsay isn't it. He knows someone at the club who has told him something they have heard etc etc. 

The clubs website says TS is the sole owner and only director however you do not need to be a director to own shares so my money would be on his wife and possibly Martin.
  • DA9 said:
    And talking of Fill The Valley, apparently, tickets are to be capped and only allocated in the blocks nearest the Jimmy Seed in the AC & west stands.
    Yeah its a good idea, so is the 4 free tickets per ST... although if I had a choice I'd rather have £50 off of the ST price. 20% off of food and drink before games is the best part of the new rewards, can probably safe half of the price over a year. 
  • Loving the faux loyalty and enthusiasm for the new coach no one had never heard of until five minutes ago but suddenly everyone now acknowledges as the next Klopp.

Big and totally unnecessary gamble from our owner if true at a time when he can't afford many more mistakes.   

Bit of a bold statement when nobody knows why he was appointed over Taylor or Beale or how he interviewed compared to them.

he has a better league 2 win rate than Taylor (okay, over less games) and has a similar coaching cv to Beale.

why is it an unnecessary gamble? This is football, aren't all appointments a gamble? Were curbishley, Lawrence, Powell and bowyer all gambles? As was Ferguson at Man U!

I don't know if garner is good or not, time will tell.  Just because he was under the radar, is he less of a gamble than Taylor?
     I think it's more to do with people presumably thinking Sandgaard took little advice again and acted on his own instinct, which is revealing itself to be pretty poor.

He really didn't help himself with his delusions of premier League and European football as his first utterings when he walked through the door.
    People tend to remember those sort of things, and when you're scratching around looking for managers and you come up with a non descript fella who did ok in league 2 it makes those statement evermore baffling.
     But nobody knows what advice sandgaard was given or if he went solo.