Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    From my perspective, Garner could be better, the same or worse than JJ. As JJ wasn't given a chance to fail I don't know. I hope he is better of course, but I don't think anybody can know that yet which makes sacking JJ a bit silly IMO. Having said that, it will cost Sandgaard more if he does get it wrong and its his money. I will get behind Garner and hope he is the man for the job.
    You could say that any manager that we were linked with could have been better, the same or worse than JJ. 

However at the end of the day if there was an vacant position for a club, and both Garner and JJ were going for it I would expect 99% of the time Garner would get it. 

Garner has way, way, way more successful coaching experience across the board then JJ. If you listen to that podcast or read about him, he is from the Beale mould, a real student of the coaching game, who has worked tirelessly to get himself into this position, by going through the age groups and by completing committing himself to everything about coaching.

To add to this he also has a successful body or work behind him especially on coaching sides to perform well above expectations.

So I really can’t see how it’s a silly decision.
    Garner has a failure at Bristol Rovers and a partial success at Swindon on his record. That isn't to say he won't be a success but I would say there is as much chance JJ would have been. He didn't take long to find a League 2 job which is where Garner has come from. JJ had the advantage of being in post and having a better kowledge of the players. We can argue one way or the other but this was not appointing a Warburton or Wilder which you could then make a stronger case for a better chance of success. 

If we didn't appoint Charlton managers from within we wouldn't have had Curbs or Bowyer and Powell was a Charlton man given a chance. Where are the examples of researched recruitments working out? Dowie, Peeters, Luzon, Slade? I'll take just one success if you can find one.
    Indeed Garner did have a failure at Bristol Rovers, but I assume you’ve read about the mitigating circumstances surrounding that? Lots of successful managers have had failures in their careers.

Garner has also been part of a coaching set up with got Palace and West Brom into the top 10 in the premiership, and a Swindon team who started the season with 7 players a penalty away from the play off finals all whilst having the best attacking stats in the league (hardly what I would call a partial success). 

All this alongside coaching across various youth groups, and working to get where he is now in terms of coaching for close to 20 years

JJ has had coaching success in his own right, but he also has had coaching failures and a much shorter and less defined and successful career.

Again, if it was a straight shoot out at another club for the vacant position, I am sure Garner would get it above JJ.

Also on this point has no other football team ever in the history of football had success under a manager who had no previous connection to the club?

Or, have some managers with previous connections to their clubs done well and some have not. And some managers who have not had connections with their clubs done well, and some haven’t?

When deciding who the next manager should be, that really should not be anywhere near the top of you list on why you would want to shortlist. 
    But there is a reason why it would. In fact there are two. Firstly a popular manager buys additional time with the fans. Which can take pressure off the players. On top of that, when you go through a process, it is harder to act quickly if it doesn't work whereas JJ could have been given until October say.

What I don't want is the misunderstanding that I am assuming Garner will be a failure. I know people tend to read what they want to but it is a case of taking a chance in the pond we are fishing in. I would have liked us to play the odds a bit better but there is no reason why Garner won't be a success and I wish him well. 

The point I have been making is if you are taking a chance, why not take it with JJ first. Or maybe we should have sacked Powell when his team were playing the worst football in memory in League One. Anyway, it has happened and now we have to wait and see. If Garner fails, I won't be saying I told you so because as far as I am concerend he has just as much chance of succeeding as many others in the pond, including JJ. But preperation for a crucial season has been disrupted because of this premature process IMO.
  • From my perspective, Garner could be better, the same or worse than JJ. As JJ wasn't given a chance to fail I don't know. I hope he is better of course, but I don't think anybody can know that yet which makes sacking JJ a bit silly IMO. Having said that, it will cost Sandgaard more if he does get it wrong and its his money. I will get behind Garner and hope he is the man for the job.
    You could say that any manager that we were linked with could have been better, the same or worse than JJ. 

However at the end of the day if there was an vacant position for a club, and both Garner and JJ were going for it I would expect 99% of the time Garner would get it. 

Garner has way, way, way more successful coaching experience across the board then JJ. If you listen to that podcast or read about him, he is from the Beale mould, a real student of the coaching game, who has worked tirelessly to get himself into this position, by going through the age groups and by completing committing himself to everything about coaching.

To add to this he also has a successful body or work behind him especially on coaching sides to perform well above expectations.

Garner has a failure at Bristol Rovers and a partial success at Swindon on his record. That isn't to say he won't be a success but I would say there is as much chance JJ would have been. He didn't take long to find a League 2 job which is where Garner has come from. JJ had the advantage of being in post and having a better kowledge of the players. We can argue one way or the other but this was not appointing a Warburton or Wilder which you could then make a stronger case for a better chance of success. 

If we didn't appoint Charlton managers from within we wouldn't have had Curbs or Bowyer and Powell was a Charlton man given a chance. Where are the examples of researched recruitments working out? Dowie, Peeters, Luzon, Slade? I'll take just one success if you can find one.
    Indeed Garner did have a failure at Bristol Rovers, but I assume you’ve read about the mitigating circumstances surrounding that? Lots of successful managers have had failures in their careers.

Garner has also been part of a coaching set up with got Palace and West Brom into the top 10 in the premiership, and a Swindon team who started the season with 7 players a penalty away from the play off finals all whilst having the best attacking stats in the league (hardly what I would call a partial success). 

All this alongside coaching across various youth groups, and working to get where he is now in terms of coaching for close to 20 years

JJ has had coaching success in his own right, but he also has had coaching failures and a much shorter and less defined and successful career.

Again, if it was a straight shoot out at another club for the vacant position, I am sure Garner would get it above JJ.

Also on this point has no other football team ever in the history of football had success under a manager who had no previous connection to the club?

Or, have some managers with previous connections to their clubs done well and some have not. And some managers who have not had connections with their clubs done well, and some haven’t?

When deciding who the next manager should be, that really should not be anywhere near the top of you list on why you would want to shortlist. 
    But there is a reason why it would. In fact there are two. Firstly a popular manager buys additional time with the fans. Which can take pressure off the players. On top of that, when you go through a process, it is harder to act quickly if it doesn't work whereas JJ could have been given until October say.

What I don't want is the misunderstanding that I am assuming Garner will be a failure. I know people tend to read what they want to but it is a case of taking a chance in the pond we are fishing in. I would have liked us to play the odds a bit better but there is no reason why Garner won't be a success and I wish him well. 

The point I have been making is if you are taking a chance, why not take it with JJ first. Or maybe we should have sacked Powell when his team were playing the worst football in memory in League One. Anyway, it has happened and now we have to wait and see. If Garner fails, I won't be saying I told you so because as far as I am concerend he has just as much chance of succeeding as many others in the pond, including JJ. But preperation for a crucial season has been disrupted because of this premature process IMO.
    Can’t say fairer than that Muttley, there are clearly areas we disagree on around this, but I think you’re taking a very sensible approach.

As you say there’s no really telling if this will be a successful appointment or not, but I’m with you in as much as the sooner anything like this is sorted out the sooner we can begin to look towards next season.
  • edited May 2022
    I haven't got an issue with the owner suggesting the style of football he wants to see us play and promising to back the manager in getting the players needed to achieve it. It becomes more worrying when it gets like Roland explaining football tactics to a manager who is an ex England international. If Sandgaard thinks he has discovered the secret of success in terms of a playing style it is worrying in the extreme. There are many different paths but his backing is needed. With limited resources the approach has to always be a pragmatic one based on what you have and how your best players play.

The problem is, I don't know which of these is correct and I doubt many of us do. There are lingering doubts about Sandgaard based on genuine clues. I would say not yet definitive but that in itself is worrying. And we should be open to this possibility.
  • Swisdom said:
    People working in the game have praised him and his approach.  People that have worked with him. 

A load of internet warriors haven’t heard of him so decide he’s shit because Joey Barton says so.  

I know who I would listen to
    Especially when BG's Swindon beat JB's Bristol R 3-1 on their own pitch only a few months later.
    Does it matter because BG's Swindon didn't get promoted and JB's Bristol R did. 
  • edited May 2022
    I don’t think Cawley would have tweeted if he was wide of the mark, either TS is lying until it’s official or we have got someone better then Garner which has caused the delay, I don’t really mind either outcome but I expect it to be the first 
    TS not lying just cooling the talk before it’s signed and sealed … he being honourable to both Swindon and Garner 
    I am a big supporter of TS and been vocal about it, but if he has outright denied that Garner is our man and he becomes our manager then he has lied whichever way you wanna paint it. 

The honourable thing to do would be to stay quiet until things official and not have a jolly chin wag with supporters on social media, no disrespect to the supporters who message him but it’s quite peculiar that he would share our important business like that with fans, as much as I like how vocal he is about us..

• When Airman ‘likes’ that post it scares me , we’ve got another nutbag , let’s hope he’s more useful than that goalkeeping coach  from Swindon’s nutsack .
    We have "known" that Martin is in charge of recruitment and many of us have raised it as a massive red flag.  The proof of the pudding will of course be in the eating (happy with that @Henry Irving) but it is a big concern.

With the back ground of that there is little point employing a "manager", be it Adkins, Taylor, Warburton or Duff.

Whilst I don't buy into the buzz word bingo that is a young, hungry, progressive coach, thatnis exactly what we need, because of the way the club is run.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    From my perspective, Garner could be better, the same or worse than JJ. As JJ wasn't given a chance to fail I don't know. I hope he is better of course, but I don't think anybody can know that yet which makes sacking JJ a bit silly IMO. Having said that, it will cost Sandgaard more if he does get it wrong and its his money. I will get behind Garner and hope he is the man for the job.

Can’t say fairer than that Muttley, there are clearly areas we disagree on around this, but I think you’re taking a very sensible approach.

As you say there’s no really telling if this will be a successful appointment or not, but I’m with you in as much as the sooner anything like this is sorted out the sooner we can begin to look towards next season.
    Before we do that, we will be reassured by the transfer activity or the opposite. Some of us are pretty worried and really need that reassurement.
  • Swisdom said:
    People working in the game have praised him and his approach.  People that have worked with him. 

A load of internet warriors haven’t heard of him so decide he’s shit because Joey Barton says so.  

I know who I would listen to
    Especially when BG's Swindon beat JB's Bristol R 3-1 on their own pitch only a few months later.
    Does it matter because BG's Swindon didn't get promoted and JB's Bristol R did. 
    Bristol Rovers didn’t start pre season with 6 players though so a little different. 
    I think a lot of people are downplaying the above. Starting the season that short of players and still getting a competitive side out in the play offs is very impressive.
  • I don’t think Cawley would have tweeted if he was wide of the mark, either TS is lying until it’s official or we have got someone better then Garner which has caused the delay, I don’t really mind either outcome but I expect it to be the first 
    TS not lying just cooling the talk before it’s signed and sealed … he being honourable to both Swindon and Garner 
    I am a big supporter of TS and been vocal about it, but if he has outright denied that Garner is our man and he becomes our manager then he has lied whichever way you wanna paint it. 

The honourable thing to do would be to stay quiet until things official and not have a jolly chin wag with supporters on social media, no disrespect to the supporters who message him but it’s quite peculiar that he would share our important business like that with fans, as much as I like how vocal he is about us..
    What has ts said? I saw that ronniemoore posted a comment so I took it with a massive pinch of salt
  • Fun fact:

Both Ben Garner and Jonny Williams were born in Pembury in Kent.

Not a lot of people know that.
    So which one is @PemburyAddick
    I'm Spartacus! 

But you are missing the big question - did they drink in the Camden or Black Horse?

I watched Swindon in the Play Off semis and liked what I saw. Garner's demeanour was professional and calm (at contrast to the Vale manager), and the CBs tried to play it out when they could. Jonny and McKirdy gave them an entertaining but lightweight look, but given the recruitment constraints Garner was under he probably didn't have many options. I'm happy with the appointment but he needs to be backed to get the right players in.

And then may be a celebration pint or ten at the Black Horse and Camden..
  • cabbles said:
    buckshee said:
    I won’t rest happy until someone makes a song up for next season for Ben Garner using the classic Informer by Snow as the backing. 
    I’m not sure @seth plum is too familiar with Snow’s repertoire, but it would be good for him to give it a go 
    Ben Garner
    Bididily dididly boom boom
    Ben Garner 
    Itchy bum bum

• Cafc43v3r said:
    have @golfaddick and @jimmymelrose morphed into one?
    It's like behind her eyes.......
    I've just looked that up and it looks quite good, but I can't see the comparison with golfie and I.

• Fun fact:

I'm Spartacus! 

But you are missing the big question - did they drink in the Camden or Black Horse?

I watched Swindon in the Play Off semis and liked what I saw. Garner's demeanour was professional and calm (at contrast to the Vale manager), and the CBs tried to play it out when they could. Jonny and McKirdy gave them an entertaining but lightweight look, but given the recruitment constraints Garner was under he probably didn't have many options. I'm happy with the appointment but he needs to be backed to get the right players in.

I thought they deserved more in the first home leg but were a tad disapointing in the second leg.
  • Loving the faux loyalty and enthusiasm for the new coach no one had never heard of until five minutes ago but suddenly everyone now acknowledges as the next Klopp.

Big and totally unnecessary gamble from our owner if true at a time when he can't afford many more mistakes.   

who wouldnt have been a big gamble?
    It wouldn't have been a big gamble to back Lee Bowyer in the first place.
  • I don’t think Cawley would have tweeted if he was wide of the mark, either TS is lying until it’s official or we have got someone better then Garner which has caused the delay, I don’t really mind either outcome but I expect it to be the first 

What has ts said? I saw that ronniemoore posted a comment so I took it with a massive pinch of salt

I don’t think Cawley would have tweeted if he was wide of the mark, either TS is lying until it’s official or we have got someone better then Garner which has caused the delay, I don’t really mind either outcome but I expect it to be the first 

ButtleJR on page 139 said that TS had denied the Ben Garner appointment. It’s in the thread title mate 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022

ButtleJR on page 139 said that TS had denied the Ben Garner appointment. It’s in the thread title mate 
    not denied just said that interviews were still ongoing.
  • edited May 2022
    Why doesn't he deny it officially rather than tell a few fans? I mean, it is out there now. If this is true we jump from one hole into another!
  • Fun fact:

I'm Spartacus! 

Might have to meet you at the Horse, I’m in Pembury too
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    have @golfaddick and @jimmymelrose morphed into one?
    It's like behind her eyes.......
    I've just looked that up and it looks quite good, but I can't see the comparison with golfie and I.

Telling you spoil the 📖 and the 📺 

I read Ronniemoires post as ts had posted on social media. Opps
  • Belv said:
    Addick_8 said:
    All the non-season ticket holders on threatening to return their season tickets on Twitter is making my skin crawl.
    We, as a fanbase serious need humbling :s
    How does a non-season ticket holder return a season ticket they don't have?
    Exactly - I think it was an ironic observation on the nature of empty gestures.

Watching and listening to the video that is doing the rounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sKFHELgNFQ

and looking at his performance last season I am coming round to the "quite whelmed" position.

A young manager with some success under his belt, clearly with a brain, with a reason to want to take a difficult job in a higher league.  

Is 42 the new 32 or the new 22 ?
    That's my waistline over the last decade or so
  • I'd be shocked if some negative reaction on social media would affect what's going on with an announcement. Haven't seen Twitter comments myself, but we all know those who aren't happy are more likely to make their views known using such media/fans forums. They don't necessarily represent the majority thinking and TS can't please everyone, but if he thinks he can, he'll still be interviewing come preseason, stymied by indecision because he won't see a common consensus expressed on them.

Waiting for  some 'no shit Sherlock' feedback to tick off my CL sayings bingo card!