Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Why does everything have to be a circus.
    Exhausting isn’t it 
    Indeed.

And we know who's the Ringmaster with the whip hand...
  • I think it’s becoming very clear why the club hasn’t announced our new manager yet.

They can’t find Scarfy!

He’s currently vacationing in the med, on an all you can eat cruise ship, and will be back in 2 weeks.
  • edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    My reckoning, given the slightly unclear picture, is that this story broke from the Swindon end, via contacts that Cawley may have in that area.

Hasn’t it been rumoured before that since the regime change, Cawley’s club insider is no longer so reliable / left the club altogether?

All leads me to thinking this is Swindon saying “if you’re gonna do it, do it… pay up the compo and stop messing about so we can bring in a replacement”.

Far off or no? What do we think?
    No, Cawley is saying the deal between Charlton and Swindon is done, I can't believe he wouldn't fact check that and just take someones word for it. 

He would have pulled out the Garner is strongly link or some journalists bullshit.  He is convinced its done, else he wouldn't double down on it. 
    Fair response.

Makes the supposed TS LinkedIn conversation all the more puzzling.
    I have seen some messages from Thomas in the last 12 hours that say they are still interviewing and have no idea where the story has come from.  

Puzzling isn't the word. 
    Perhaps Sandgaard needs to say this before he flies over from the States next week.  Then he announces our number one candidate.
  • RedChaser said:
    I don’t think Cawley would have tweeted if he was wide of the mark, either TS is lying until it’s official or we have got someone better then Garner which has caused the delay, I don’t really mind either outcome but I expect it to be the first 
    If Cawley is correct, replace liar for bull*******.
    Oi, it’s well past your bedtime 😉.
    Not past closing time Uncle.
  • RedChaser said:
    I don’t think Cawley would have tweeted if he was wide of the mark, either TS is lying until it’s official or we have got someone better then Garner which has caused the delay, I don’t really mind either outcome but I expect it to be the first 
    Enjoy but you do know it’s not Friday 🤪.
  • Will give him a chance, but it's incredibly underwhelming. Failed at Bristol Rovers, did ok at Swindon. It won't have the other League 1 promotion teams panicking. 
    Or top (at this level) players beating a path to our door. I think they'll see us for the basket case that we are & steer clear.
  • The ‘flushing out a leak’ theory is interesting that’s suggested in above posts. I think stuff will always leak from all clubs but I bet it still irritates TS who seems to like having the attention.

I guess we’ll find out next week when TS appears. 
  • one penalty miss away from getting Swindon into the play off final .. seems relaxed and self assured when interviewed .. IF given some money I would expect him to build a very decent team/squad .. IF appointed he will have my backing .. not an appointment I anticipated, but there again I didn't know who to expect ..  and people, we ARE NOT getting Conté, Pip, Klopp or crackle and pop to come and manage an underperforming club .. Garner knows the lower leagues and its players ..  we will be undergoing a big player turnover and he (as said) is well capable of signing the right players ..  IF IF appointed I expect him to do a decent job .. as ever we will see
    Will he have any say in it ?
  • edited May 2022
    League 2 managers get paid an average £80,000 per year. I doubt Swindon were paying much more than the average to their manager. Garner had a contract until June 2024. I don’t see TS haggling over what can’t be much more than £160,000 in compensation if he is sure he is the right man for the job.
  • Sponsored links:

• I find it weird that TS is so open about stuff with fans over social media
    Is it really him typing though, I know he has his faults but when you think he is running a multi million dollar business in the states, has us to worry about and a family is it really him responding to our fans questions.

I suspect he employs a PR team that takes care of his social media accounts and they have freedom to answer questions.

No doubt he does respond in person but I cannot imagine it’s him all the time 

• When Airman ‘likes’ that post it scares me , we’ve got another nutbag , let’s hope he’s more useful than that goalkeeping coach  from Swindon’s nutsack .
    Is it possible to see who liked a post when using a smartphone?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ok. This is what’s happened. Charlton and Garner are agreed. We want him and he wants to come. Swindon won’t stand in his way but want adequate compo. That’s what’s being discussed now and there’s a bit of an impasse. Until Swindon agree to him leaving he’s their employee. We won’t meet their current demands so the search goes on for us in case we can’t agree terms. It’s so very simple.
    So why is Thomas saying its not true and he doesn't know where it has come from? He doesn't need to say anything at all, to anyone.
    Because he is an egotist & has to have the last word. 
  • edited May 2022

When Airman ‘likes’ that post it scares me , we’ve got another nutbag , let’s hope he’s more useful than that goalkeeping coach  from Swindon’s nutsack .
    Is it possible to see who liked a post when using a smartphone?
    Yes, You have to switch to desktop site to do that. 
  • 3 other Swindon players who look the business .. Goalkeeper Ward .. A big, commanding presence .. Right Back Odimayo, assured and good on the ball as well as a decent defender .. and the old man Baudry in central defence, a player I have admired for  a long time since his Orient days .. 34 is nowadays no age for a  fit and capable no 5/6
    AND Swindon have a youngster with the most glorious name after Luke Waterfall .. George Cowmeadow .. now there's a no bullshit name  :)
    So those 3 look the business along with McKirdy, Payne, Egbo, and Reed who i've seen people say we should be after.

Seriously? This is Swindon, a side who finished 6th in league 2. These players surely are not actually that good at all.
    To draw a comparison, and i stand to be corrected,here, but i think Mansfield Town,just nicked the play offs at 7th under Nigel Clough- George Lapslie, loaned,first, then bought from us ,is a key player
  • Jac_52 said:
    I haven't got an issue with the owner suggesting the style of football he wants to see us play and promising to back the manager in getting the players needed to achieve it. It becomes more worrying when it gets like Roland explaining football tactics to a manager who is an ex England international. If Sandgaard thinks he has discovered the secret of success in terms of a playing style it is worrying in the extreme. There are many different paths but his backing is needed. With limited resources the approach has to always be a pragmatic one based on what you have and how your best players play.

The problem is, I don't know which of these is correct and I doubt many of us do. There are lingering doubts about Sandgaard based on genuine clues. I would say not yet definitive but that in itself is worrying. And we should be open to this possibility.

I agree with this. The turning point for me would be if Sandgaard is issuing Roland-esque emails or trying to dictate how training sessions should go.

Currently I have no reason to think that this is the case and if anyone knows differently then they should be making it public very very quickly. Until then we have to accept that there is nothing wrong with an owner wanting a certain type of football and finding the staff to implement it.
     MS certainly tried at least once last season.

I'm glad the word tried is in there and I pray there won't be a repeat of this. Are you able to share any more about what happened here as that is massively concerning unless maybe he was trying to get Washington to shoot with 10% more intensity in which case fair play.
  • DA9 said:
    Just been told that TS is definitely over next week with “other shareholders”
    Read into that what you will.
    Rayleen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jac_52 said:
    I haven't got an issue with the owner suggesting the style of football he wants to see us play and promising to back the manager in getting the players needed to achieve it. It becomes more worrying when it gets like Roland explaining football tactics to a manager who is an ex England international. If Sandgaard thinks he has discovered the secret of success in terms of a playing style it is worrying in the extreme. There are many different paths but his backing is needed. With limited resources the approach has to always be a pragmatic one based on what you have and how your best players play.

The problem is, I don't know which of these is correct and I doubt many of us do. There are lingering doubts about Sandgaard based on genuine clues. I would say not yet definitive but that in itself is worrying. And we should be open to this possibility.

I agree with this. The turning point for me would be if Sandgaard is issuing Roland-esque emails or trying to dictate how training sessions should go.

Currently I have no reason to think that this is the case and if anyone knows differently then they should be making it public very very quickly. Until then we have to accept that there is nothing wrong with an owner wanting a certain type of football and finding the staff to implement it.
    There we go .  Not in the least bit surprised about this.  Any chance of the VoTV coming back for one last issue ?
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Enjoy but you do know it’s not Friday 🤪.
    Sadly, but it's Friday today.  Hooray.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

I'm glad the word tried is in there and I pray there won't be a repeat of this. Are you able to share any more about what happened here as that is massively concerning unless maybe he was trying to get Washington to shoot with 10% more intensity in which case fair play.
    But it remains deeply worrying. 
  • Surely say it publicly and/or avoid chatting to fans about it then. Just a thought.
  • The club just wanted to keep it under wraps till TS comes over next Wed /Thurs out of respect to Swindon and Garner who has yet to leave the club … 
  • Cawley has been clearly told a deal has been agreed, but that's if Charlton go down the Garner route.. I think TS wants 2 or 3 options agreed before picking.. Clearly that could piss people off! 

I think we will hear a lot more today, potenially announcement, if not early next week! That's my hunch!
  • edited May 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cawley has been clearly told a deal has been agreed, but that's if Charlton go down the Garner route.. I think TS wants 2 or 3 options agreed before picking.. Clearly that could piss people off! 

I think we will hear a lot more today, potenially announcement, if not early next week! That's my hunch!
    I think Garner is a backup option ready to sign off on, if Beale joins QPR, which looks likely. Leak to Cawley has come from Swindon/Beale side.

This scenario means both Cawley and Sandgaard are both speaking the truth. No great conspiracy.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Cawley has been clearly told a deal has been agreed, but that's if Charlton go down the Garner route.. I think TS wants 2 or 3 options agreed before picking.. Clearly that could piss people off! 

It would be amusing if Garner told us to stuff it .