Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Good luck Ben, hope to see more of Charlton next season with some decent football being played. Struggled to get interested the last season or so. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    PWR Just got in from lunch anything happened of note yet 🫣.

EDIT; Well I’m blowed Ben Garner appointed, who’d a thought it 😲. Welcome Ben.
  • Options
    Welcome Ben. Fingers crossed for a great season.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Just read this news in the railway museum in York.
    About as Charlton as you can get. If Garner is anywhere near as good as this museum it will be a fantastic ride.
    I was there for my birthday this year! Isn't it fantastic. Proper Charlton 
  • Options
    Good luck to BG. Looking forward to his signings. 
  • Options
    I've been waiting years & years for a manager to implement an attacking team  - one that has more shots than the opposition & puts that above defending.

Only problem is.............has he seen the current squad ?  A lot of rebuilding & coaching needed to get this lot shooting at every opportuinty.

At least I've found my home......... :)
    I've seen enough teams with lower budgets than us playing a passing and attacking style of football, to suggest you don't need a Man City budget to change your style, and that players can adapt
    But you do need the players. Squads way deficient on attacking options right now. You can’t polish a turd.
    But you can sprinkle glitter on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to Ben - despite my reservations, I really hope he delivers.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Wasnt going to be anyone else once Cawley wrongly annouced it really. Nice to be offical. 

Knew nothing of the guy before the first link but after checking him out, glad to get someone in with a clear plan and vision - and one that doesnt involve smashing towards wavey arm Stockley. 

• Options
    If Garner, or whoever is manager doesn't win his first 3,...by 2 clear goals and 3 clean sheets, God help them... including TS
    Isn’t that just winning the first 3 games by 2-0?
  • Options
    Followed by "Rea?"
    ?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Charlton owner Thomas Sandgaard said: "We are obviously striving for a much better season."

The penny has dropped, that's more like it.

• Options
    I was up the Great Orme when the news finally broke, not a euphemism BTW!

First and foremost, welcome Ben! Let’s hope he and his team get a full season under Thomas, unlike his predecessors, and leads Charlton to promotion. You never know, it might be third time lucky again! 
  • Options
    Good...but why haven't we signed any players yet 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    JonT_Abs said:
    Welcome Ben. 
    Thought he would have preferred a move to Brentford in that case...

Hope he brings along Chabudz, he knows a good deal 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Style over substance/ all plate and no food.
    (I'm talking about the video in a darkened room, with background music not BG).
  • Options
    Rebuilds take time. 

This is year one. If we have a decent playing style and look like we know what we're doing by the end of the year I will be happy. 

People demanding promotion on day one of Ben being in the role don't really have a clue about the mountain he's facing. Trying to rebuild the club which hasn't really had any changes since the Bowyer days. 

Agreed. Anyone expecting/ demanding promotion will likely be disappointed. It is the aim of course but a hell of a lot of work to do with the state of the current squad.  Hopefully BG will be backed in the window(s) and bring in the right players to move us forward.

Looking forward to next season.  Won't really know what I will be expecting league prospects wise but will gauge that better over the coming weeks from the general consensus on the players we bring in ready to start on 30 July.

Would also like us to shed the irritating "we don't do cups" ethos under this new manager regarding the proper cups ie league and FA.

Excited for the new season now and hopefully will be even more enthused because we have a good squad build over the next few weeks to give us the best realistic chance of getting to where we need to be.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Welcome Ben, this is a pretty decent appointment.  If he's half as good as these we're in for a treat (cue 'knows his onions' and other pickle puns)
    Agreed...very tasty onions!
  • Options
    Garner out!

Was I first?
  • Options
    Good appointment and now we can look forward.
    Are the coaches signed up too? 
  • Options
    good news and wish him the best.  IMHO it may take up to 3 or more windows to bring in the players we need and get the contracts sorted to give us the team and platform to build from, and I am hopeful that he gets the time, support and money to do that.