Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    shit appointment - "Ben Garner's Red and White Army" doesn't scan well. It will have to be Benny...

• Options
    edited June 2022
    The football over the past 3 seasons has been awful to watch so I'm happy we've got an attacking manager. 

I don't think The Valley is the most patient of football crowds so I do worry the passing out the back stuff will be met with some derision and nervousness which may feed back on the players. I hope the fans can get on board with a new style. 

Interested to see how a few current 'key' players fit into this possession play, particularly ones who struggle with the ball at their feet.  

I hope the recruitment efforts match the manager. 
    If we're just signing random 'good' players the data identifies and not players to fit Garner's system, it will be another crap season.
  • Options
    He's got the role.  Hopefully he is given the tools and the freedom to deliver his philosophy. 
  • Options
    Morgan might benefit from a "coaching" manager. I imagine someone like Henry could get a few games as well.
  • Options
    Morgan might benefit from a "coaching" manager. I imagine someone like Henry could get a few games as well.
    If Morgan still doesn't improve under this type of coach then it will be time to get rid
  • Options
    Welcome Ben, good luck to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Agree but definitely isn't the plan currently...
    It’ll no doubt be Garner’s plan. Sandgaard probably thinks he knows better. 
    Surely TS knows that anonymous posters on Charlton Life are the greatest source of wisdom.
  • Options
    Super Ben's Red and White Army
    Baldy Bens Red and White Army ?
  • Options
    I’d like Henry to stay for pre season, get a new deal and then get a season loan to league 2. Really think there’s a player in there. 
  • Options
    So I’m going to support our new manager wholeheartedly as I don’t have a clue as to whether he is what we need, that interview however for me could have been any number of managers answering questions with what they think we all want to hear, it came across very sterile to me, I’m definitely reserving judgement until we’ve had pre season and actually see this fella on action. However I was very enthused when we got the Adkins interview so maybe I shouldn’t jump to conclusions, although the players were fucking shit and I felt for Adkins a bit. Good luck to the new man, hopefully he is a huge success.
  • Options
    From Sandgaard's interview it appears he was "keeping other managers warm" while negotiations were happening with Garner's agent and lawyer the past couple of weeks. That would give some justification to refuting reports he had signed.

Anyway, the serial moaners can now latch on to TS saying most of the signings will happen towards the end of the window, although he does say he hopes to get a few before the Spain trip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    It’ll no doubt be Garner’s plan. Sandgaard probably thinks he knows better. 
    Surely TS knows that anonymous posters on Charlton Life are the greatest source of wisdom.
    How do you know that’s not my real name? 🤪
  • Options
    One thing we can look forward to with Ben Garner is a manager that has spent a significant part of his career coaching all of kids, teens and adults. He’s going to be able to see what probably none of our recent managers have been able to see. Sounds like coaching is his passion and that’s got to be a massive positive. I expect signings of young players from league two and one that none of us have heard of but he will have tracked. I’m quite excited by the prospect of a Charlton style. Bring on the new season.
    I echo this. I had my doubts but it is exciting to actually bring in a coach, someone who is looking forward to working with the players rather than just putting out a team with a formation and some tactics. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Big red flag then, especially when they’d been mentioned as very much part of Garner’s success.
    Stop being alarmist. It really is not a red flag, it is probably just negotiation anyway.

Spin it round and look at things from Swindon Towns perspective. They will now be trying to recruit a manager who will no doubt want to bring his back room boys in with him. What are they going to do with the coaches in place at the moment? Pay them off?

Getting rid without having to pay up their contracts then looks a good option. The less paid to Swindon the better IMO and the pressure is now all on them now that Garner has actually signed.

I am not convinced we need both either. I personally would not like JE binned as I think he is a talented coach.
    Garner’s success has by several Swindon fans been attributed to him AND his coaching team. As has already been mentioned, the compensation would likely be in the 10’s of thousands, so in what is a crucial period in the future of this club, such relatively minimal costs should be expended to get the coaching team needed, especially if that’s what BG wants and it sounds like it is. 

With our need for more coaches as we move toward Cat 1 status I would suggest Euell will find a role but tbh like a number of others I don’t have an issue with a full sweep of the coaching team. 
  • Options
    3 year deal. So it turns out that tommys mrs was right and Cawley was wrong. 
    Some serious mental gymnastics going on there. 
    Roughly translated as bulls***
  • Options
    All fart and no shit/all balls and no willy
    All tit and no nipple.
  • Options
    Well good luck and best wishes to Ben Garner. I was thinking that if you are going to nick a manager from another club, it would be strange not to back him so maybe we will now see something better than what we saw last summer which was a complete joke. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Big red flag then, especially when they’d been mentioned as very much part of Garner’s success.
    Stop being alarmist. It really is not a red flag, it is probably just negotiation anyway.

Spin it round and look at things from Swindon Towns perspective. They will now be trying to recruit a manager who will no doubt want to bring his back room boys in with him. What are they going to do with the coaches in place at the moment? Pay them off?

Getting rid without having to pay up their contracts then looks a good option. The less paid to Swindon the better IMO and the pressure is now all on them now that Garner has actually signed.

I am not convinced we need both either. I personally would not like JE binned as I think he is a talented coach.
    Garner’s success has by several Swindon fans been attributed to him AND his coaching team. As has already been mentioned, the compensation would likely be in the 10’s of thousands, so in what is a crucial period in the future of this club, such relatively minimal costs should be expended to get the coaching team needed, especially if that’s what BG wants and it sounds like it is. 

With our need for more coaches as we move toward Cat 1 status I would suggest Euell will find a role but tbh like a number of others I don’t have an issue with a full sweep of the coaching team. 
    10’s of thousands or nothing in a few weeks? 
    It is so easy to spend other peoples money, but I just can’t see TS spending his because a couple of Swindon fans say he should. Maybe you should give it a couple of months before unfurling your big red flag.
  • Options
    So after all the shit flinging, it turns out Gallen and MS were responsible for shortlisting and doing most of the interviewing for managers after all. Gallen has not been sidelined.