Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    my sponsored links for this forum are for the following books:

The Assassin's Apprentice
    The Diaries of Franz Kafka
    How to bring up Responsible Teenagers
    And a book of Irish Poetry

Clever things these algorithms - just hope they can pick a decent team for us.
  • Options
    Super Ben's Red and White Army
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    doe's he go by "Benny" or are people just using it to fit into songs?

His Mum calls him Benjamin, David 😉.
    thanks mum
  • Options
    Mixed reaction from Swindonians
  • Options
    Thought TS said he hadn't been appointed. I'm confused now. Welcome Ben. I'm very pleased with that actually.
    He hadn’t, now he has. That’s the thing about things happening, until they happen, they haven’t happened. 
    Garner says in the interview that they've been working the last couple of weeks ???
  • Options
    Rebuilds take time. 

This is year one. If we have a decent playing style and look like we know what we're doing by the end of the year I will be happy. 

People demanding promotion on day one of Ben being in the role don't really have a clue about the mountain he's facing. Trying to rebuild the club which hasn't really had any changes since the Bowyer days. 
    Has last year just been wiped from the annals of history?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Right.  So it's now official and he's come out and said how he wants to play.  I don't think there's many fans who don't want to see us play in a more attractive manner.  To see us play with players who are confident of having the ball.  Players who actually want the ball.

All we, as fans, need to remember is there will be times it doesn't work.  There will be times we concede goals from "fucking about with it" and times where we won't just "knock it forwards" but as BG himself has said, we want to change the ethos of the club and to play like this throughout the ages groups.  The U18's particularly play nice and neat football and take the occasional risks and anyone who has seen them in the last couple of seasons has said how refreshing they are to watch.  Won't it be nice if the first team can replicate that!

I particularly like the way he says we will have a style of play that is the same both home and away.  It's now going to be up to the opposition to nullify us whereas we have been far too predictable previously.  I look forward to seeing us playing it around the opponents and watching them get knackered and watching players like JFC and Fraser pulling the strings.  I also wonder if BG will be able to harness Albie Morgan and get the best value out of him

Obviously there will need to be a number of new bodies and a change in the way the existing ones train and play but if it improves them, and us, I'm all for it.

I'm mildly excited and hope he gets a bit of time and patience, from fans and TS alike, to deliver 
    We played a similar style under Bowyer at times, especially in our promotion season.
  • Options
    Rebuilds take time. 

This is year one. If we have a decent playing style and look like we know what we're doing by the end of the year I will be happy. 

People demanding promotion on day one of Ben being in the role don't really have a clue about the mountain he's facing. Trying to rebuild the club which hasn't really had any changes since the Bowyer days. 
    With any luck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rebuilds take time. 

Was Ben Garner the manager last year? 

This is Ben's rebuild. It happens on the pitch. 
  • Options
    doe's he go by "Benny" or are people just using it to fit into songs?

Palace Reject,
    Palace Reject,
    Woah, Woah.

• Options
    Rebuilds take time. 

Was Ben Garner the manager last year? 

This is Ben's rebuild. It happens on the pitch. 
    I don’t disagree with any of that. Wasn’t sure what you meant.

TS had a rebuild shot last year. Didn’t work out.

This is attempt number 2.

He gets a pass from year 1 with the embargo. Either way Ben deserves the full positivity that comes with a total fresh start as he is blameless for last year.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Right.  So it's now official and he's come out and said how he wants to play.  I don't think there's many fans who don't want to see us play in a more attractive manner.  To see us play with players who are confident of having the ball.  Players who actually want the ball.

All we, as fans, need to remember is there will be times it doesn't work.  There will be times we concede goals from "fucking about with it" and times where we won't just "knock it forwards" but as BG himself has said, we want to change the ethos of the club and to play like this throughout the ages groups.  The U18's particularly play nice and neat football and take the occasional risks and anyone who has seen them in the last couple of seasons has said how refreshing they are to watch.  Won't it be nice if the first team can replicate that!

I particularly like the way he says we will have a style of play that is the same both home and away.  It's now going to be up to the opposition to nullify us whereas we have been far too predictable previously.  I look forward to seeing us playing it around the opponents and watching them get knackered and watching players like JFC and Fraser pulling the strings.  I also wonder if BG will be able to harness Albie Morgan and get the best value out of him

Obviously there will need to be a number of new bodies and a change in the way the existing ones train and play but if it improves them, and us, I'm all for it.

I'm mildly excited and hope he gets a bit of time and patience, from fans and TS alike, to deliver 
    We played a similar style under Bowyer at times, especially in our promotion season.
    I remember a lot of pressing but I don’t remember us being especially incisive 
  • Options
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
  • Options
    glad it is all resolved .. welcome Ben, as I typed days ago, all the VERY best during your time at CAFC
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Very well said.
    We now need to be patient and let the guy get on with the job. I must admit the thought of watching us trying to play it around at the back is giving me heart spasms already but given time Im sure we can get there and tbh anything is better than watching the hoofball we was trying to do.
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    Agree but definitely isn't the plan currently...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suspect Euell is Central to it all now. Does he stay with us under Garner, or does he seek a new challenge?
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    Garner's obviously happy with how things are. 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Given BG wants to play pressing, attacking possession football [which will be great], how many of our current squad will survive this change of approach? JS will not fit into this style of play, will he?
    Should suit Connor Washington 
    Exactly !!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    But does BG have the players required to do what Bowyer did?

I don’t think so, but will TS give him the money for a total rebuild?

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Agree but definitely isn't the plan currently...
    It’ll no doubt be Garner’s plan. Sandgaard probably thinks he knows better. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I popped onto this thread to find out the "latest" and catch up on 800+ new posts.

Read half a page and have decided not to bother with CL for the rest of the day, maybe the week. What a truly awful thread.
    You know you’ve had a crafty peek. Stop pretending you haven’t heard and give us a post.