Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Nicky Ajose had a great season with Swindon then came to us........ maybe Ben can follow in his footsteps....... oh hold on.  ;)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Nicky Ajose had a great season with Swindon then came to us........ maybe Ben can follow in his footsteps....... oh hold on.  ;)
    As has Jayesimi, if Garner is half as good we're onto a winner 
  • Options
    Gallen confirms that for every transfer since Sandgaard has come in, the Manager has been asked does he want them or not.

Some people on this thread should hang their head in shame.

Recruitment process is completely clarified in Gallen's interview for those interested.
    This is good but some have rumoured  that Adkins didn’t want Dobson and Clare. That means that he was asked but over ridden. 
    This is a rumours board after all. 
    Or he was offered them, someone he wanted less, or no one, and thought better to go for the least worst (in his opinion) option.
  • Options
    Thought TS said he hadn't been appointed. I'm confused now. Welcome Ben. I'm very pleased with that actually.
    He hadn’t, now he has. That’s the thing about things happening, until they happen, they haven’t happened. 

When the universe stops expanding and then shrinks back again (as in theory will happen) then I'll get back to you on this one.
  • Options
    Welcome Ben, the 33 Charlton manager since I started supporting.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    Garner's obviously happy with how things are. 
    Is he ? 
    You would assume if he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have put pen to paper.
  • Options
    Good interviews although still concerns about how much influence TS & MS have. TS was obviously irked by Garner’s name being leaked.
  • Options
    Morgan might benefit from a "coaching" manager. I imagine someone like Henry could get a few games as well.
    The Museum can't afford to lose Henry but if the compo is high enough , money talks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morgan might benefit from a "coaching" manager. I imagine someone like Henry could get a few games as well.
    The Museum can't afford to lose Henry but if the compo is high enough , money talks
    We can easily poach a replacement from Swindon
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Gallen confirms that for every transfer since Sandgaard has come in, the Manager has been asked does he want them or not.

Recruitment process is completely clarified in Gallen's interview for those interested.
    Every time Gallen explains the recruitment it's different. 

A veto is only worth while if you have a choice.  
    I don't remember it being that different to what he's described before but would be unsurprised if it was an evolving thing.

Pleased to now hear him say that the manager decides what type of player he wants first. That's the one thing I haven't heard him say before. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Agree but definitely isn't the plan currently...
    Big red flag then, especially when they’d been mentioned as very much part of Garner’s success.
    Stop being alarmist. It really is not a red flag, it is probably just negotiation anyway.

Spin it round and look at things from Swindon Towns perspective. They will now be trying to recruit a manager who will no doubt want to bring his back room boys in with him. What are they going to do with the coaches in place at the moment? Pay them off?

Getting rid without having to pay up their contracts then looks a good option. The less paid to Swindon the better IMO and the pressure is now all on them now that Garner has actually signed.

I am not convinced we need both either. I personally would not like JE binned as I think he is a talented coach.
    Garner’s success has by several Swindon fans been attributed to him AND his coaching team. As has already been mentioned, the compensation would likely be in the 10’s of thousands, so in what is a crucial period in the future of this club, such relatively minimal costs should be expended to get the coaching team needed, especially if that’s what BG wants and it sounds like it is. 

With our need for more coaches as we move toward Cat 1 status I would suggest Euell will find a role but tbh like a number of others I don’t have an issue with a full sweep of the coaching team. 
    I wonder if those are the same Swindon fans who complain that they just pass the ball around all game and never shoot...despite having the most shots on target of any team in League 2 last season. You can't trust fans of the manager's previous club. If I wanted an honest opinion on how Jackson did last season the last person I would ask would be a Charlton fan
    Who would you ask then (as a fan I mean)? Genuine question.  The Swindon fans will often have differing opinions, like many Charlton fans but I still think you’ll get some semblance of how things have occurred listening to them as like society things tend to balance out when it comes to views.
    I'd make my own decision based on the data rather than anecdotes from people who think emotionally. You've talked about the coaching team that is 'needed' based on a few noisy Swindon fans. What's your sample size, 3? 4? Is a couple of Twitter posts really worth tens of thousands of pounds? These coaches might be the best in the world but if that's the case it's not because some fan on Twitter diminishes the role the manager had in their relative success. Especially that these are opinions fans are giving on a manager who has just walked out on them.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Every time Gallen explains the recruitment it's different. 

A veto is only worth while if you have a choice.  
    I don't remember it being that different to what he's described before but would be unsurprised if it was an evolving thing.

Pleased to now hear him say that the manager decides what type of player he wants first. That's the one thing I haven't heard him say before. 
    Sounds like it was the case with Bowyer at least though. They built a very good team together. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Big red flag then, especially when they’d been mentioned as very much part of Garner’s success.
    Probably the reason for the delay. He's been asking for them as part of the deal & TS was holding out. Give & take on both sides with TS saying "all in good time" but probably knowing he'll have to yield in the end.

Not sure what Euell thinks about it all. Might be best if he moves on. New broom and all that.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    So after all the shit flinging, it turns out Gallen and MS were responsible for shortlisting and doing most of the interviewing for managers after all. Gallen has not been sidelined.

You mean all the shit that was being flung at people who were questioning Mart's involvement in recruiting for the club, because, you know, he jsut sits on his arse all day picking his nose keeping an eye out for his dad? 

He just brings the analytics view to the recruitment committee. He doesn't get a final say, and Gallen brings the target list to the table.

Stand down.
    Exactly. I never got why people thought MS was totally in charge of recruitment. 
    Because every pantomime needs a villain and he was an easy target.
  • Options
    I like the fact that it is a big step up for the manager. He will strongly appreciate the chance given to him, will be highly motivated to prove himself, and will be living and breathing the football. 

That's about it though. 

The old Swindon manager finally meets the Brent-mister general in person. 

I think there will be a lot of players in and out the door in the summer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes it would be better if Garner brings over his coaches from Swindon, but it wouldn't be a catastrophe if it didn't happen, seeing that they've only worked together for less than a year.  It's not like Adkins and Crosby, who had been together throughout Adkins management career, starting 15 years earlier at Scunthorpe
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    It’ll no doubt be Garneplan. Sandgaard probably thinks he knows better. 
    Where in reality reality  he knows  fuck all.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    It’ll no doubt be Garneplan. Sandgaard probably thinks he knows better. 
    Where in reality reality  he knows  fuck all.
    But isn’t he at least at the same level as fans?
  • Options
    Hope all the snipers can now put their rifles away for a couple of months at least and give this guy a chance to get a footing. 

We need supporters to start supporting
    A couple of months?! Now we've got the manager sorted people need something else to focus on. If we haven't made at least a couple of signings by Monday then the snipers will be off again.
  • Options
    I'm glad the deal is done, glad that Garner is the new manager and I wish him well. I've watched all 3 interviews on U tube and the stand out for me is how they want the club to play more attractive and winning football.
    SG has explained that BG gets the final say on players, TS had invested in Sparrows Lane, even though he doesn't own it and BG has ambition to now prove himself  in L1.
    I hope he does get his coaches, if he wants them, and we get some flair players in.
    It's now time for the sniping, false rumours and vitriol to stop. 
    It's time to stand back see what transpires and support the club moving forward! 
    Although I'm sure the snipers will soon find something else to moan about!
    I'm optimistic that this could be a very good season.
    Will we now see the true worth of Kirk, I hope so, he is a very good player in the right system.

Unfortunately I can’t see him pressing in a way that’s suitable for the system, but we’ll see! 

Definitely intrigued to see what he can do with Kirk. McKirdy was no good until Garner got to coach him.