Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:
    These should be his first 2 signings before anything else is done 
    I think TS realises that and is just playing crafty.

Much like RD TS doesn't like employing managers who want to bring their own backroom, as it's double bubble when he sacks them. I suspect it's more to do with the restrictive contracts he's offering.
    As you know what TS is thinking and what contracts he's offering I hope you can you tell us all the signings we'll be making.
    Are we buying any players?  ;)

The biggest shock for me today was Gallen saying we had over 100 applicants for the Managers role, clearly that's why it took so long, that's a lot of CV's to go through........
    Interesting because TS said 40.
    10 interviews for Gallen and 12 from TS
    minor inconsistencies.
    tS did sound slightly peeved about the leak!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Swisdom said:
    Right.  So it's now official and he's come out and said how he wants to play.  I don't think there's many fans who don't want to see us play in a more attractive manner.  To see us play with players who are confident of having the ball.  Players who actually want the ball.

All we, as fans, need to remember is there will be times it doesn't work.  There will be times we concede goals from "fucking about with it" and times where we won't just "knock it forwards" but as BG himself has said, we want to change the ethos of the club and to play like this throughout the ages groups.  The U18's particularly play nice and neat football and take the occasional risks and anyone who has seen them in the last couple of seasons has said how refreshing they are to watch.  Won't it be nice if the first team can replicate that!

I particularly like the way he says we will have a style of play that is the same both home and away.  It's now going to be up to the opposition to nullify us whereas we have been far too predictable previously.  I look forward to seeing us playing it around the opponents and watching them get knackered and watching players like JFC and Fraser pulling the strings.  I also wonder if BG will be able to harness Albie Morgan and get the best value out of him

Obviously there will need to be a number of new bodies and a change in the way the existing ones train and play but if it improves them, and us, I'm all for it.

I'm mildly excited and hope he gets a bit of time and patience, from fans and TS alike, to deliver 
    We played a similar style under Bowyer at times, especially in our promotion season.
    No we didn’t. We had players breaking forward quickly and scored a lot of goals on the counter. At no point under bowyer were we playing patient, intricate football
    The 45 minutes v Forest at The Valley?
    And Wembley. The build up to purrington a goal
    And the build up to Bauer’s goal was crazy. But they were isolated moments of excellence in an otherwise solid performance. 

Most of you have been watching Charlton much longer, and more regularly than me, but the best I’ve seen Charlton play was probably the 1-1 v Arsenal with the Dicanio penalty, when Parker ran the show. I think we were second in the Prem with Arsenal top, from memory? Well it shut my Arsenal mate up at least. 
  • Options
    Ben Garner, eh? Didn't see that coming.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

Much like RD TS doesn't like employing managers who want to bring their own backroom, as it's double bubble when he sacks them. I suspect it's more to do with the restrictive contracts he's offering.
    Didn't Luzon, Peters and Riga all bring back room staff with them?  Slade did, Robinson did.  It was only after KM left and RD gave up (chicken or egg?) that Bowyer didn't?
    Bowyer was backroom staff himself (effectively) when appointed manager so had no staff to bring.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

As you know what TS is thinking and what contracts he's offering I hope you can you tell us all the signings we'll be making.

The biggest shock for me today was Gallen saying we had over 100 applicants for the Managers role, clearly that's why it took so long, that's a lot of CV's to go through........
    50 of them were from here though. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Swisdom said:
    Right.  So it's now official and he's come out and said how he wants to play.  I don't think there's many fans who don't want to see us play in a more attractive manner.  To see us play with players who are confident of having the ball.  Players who actually want the ball.

All we, as fans, need to remember is there will be times it doesn't work.  There will be times we concede goals from "fucking about with it" and times where we won't just "knock it forwards" but as BG himself has said, we want to change the ethos of the club and to play like this throughout the ages groups.  The U18's particularly play nice and neat football and take the occasional risks and anyone who has seen them in the last couple of seasons has said how refreshing they are to watch.  Won't it be nice if the first team can replicate that!

I particularly like the way he says we will have a style of play that is the same both home and away.  It's now going to be up to the opposition to nullify us whereas we have been far too predictable previously.  I look forward to seeing us playing it around the opponents and watching them get knackered and watching players like JFC and Fraser pulling the strings.  I also wonder if BG will be able to harness Albie Morgan and get the best value out of him

Obviously there will need to be a number of new bodies and a change in the way the existing ones train and play but if it improves them, and us, I'm all for it.

I'm mildly excited and hope he gets a bit of time and patience, from fans and TS alike, to deliver 
    We played a similar style under Bowyer at times, especially in our promotion season.
    No we didn’t. We had players breaking forward quickly and scored a lot of goals on the counter. At no point under bowyer were we playing patient, intricate football
    The 45 minutes v Forest at The Valley?
    And Wembley. The build up to purrington a goal
    And the build up to Bauer’s goal was crazy. But they were isolated moments of excellence in an otherwise solid performance. 

Most of you have been watching Charlton much longer, and more regularly than me, but the best I’ve seen Charlton play was probably the 1-1 v Arsenal with the Dicanio penalty, when Parker ran the show. I think we were second in the Prem with Arsenal top, from memory? Well it shut my Arsenal mate up at least. 
    The 4-2 at home to Chelsea as well. 
  • Options
    One thing we can look forward to with Ben Garner is a manager that has spent a significant part of his career coaching all of kids, teens and adults. He’s going to be able to see what probably none of our recent managers have been able to see. Sounds like coaching is his passion and that’s got to be a massive positive. I expect signings of young players from league two and one that none of us have heard of but he will have tracked. I’m quite excited by the prospect of a Charlton style. Bring on the new season.
    This for me.

Was about to post the same thing. One thing is for sure, Garner has spent years coaching players- decent ones at that.It's not like he's just hung up his boots & taken his Pro licence (like some of our recent managers 😉). 

I spy good times ahead. Buying our season tickets tomorrow.
    Genuinely nice to see you express your happiness and so much so that you’re committing to a season ticket from it. Let’s hope for more positive times ahead, with the football they’re promising, I can see you taking a lot less stick. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    There’s a bit of flip flopping of the narrative going on, all the interviews are put to us in a positive tense, throughout there is an acceptance of mistakes and how they are going to try to put things right, everything people have been moaning about has been addressed within the interviews and explained how they intend to learn lessons. I think it really is time we as fans collectively do what we do best and get behind our club and help get out of this shit league, I think some attractive signings will really give us hope we can push on with. 
    I think sandgaards comment that "realistically most of our signings will be made later in the window" suggest that he has learnt very little from last seasons poor window.
    It says to me that he is in it for the long term and he would far rather get the right people in than rush the wrong ones. He has said he wasn’t happy with how it was done last summer and it will be different this time round, but realistically, the way football is because of transfer windows the best players sometimes only become available towards the end of the window.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

Didn't Luzon, Peters and Riga all bring back room staff with them?  Slade did, Robinson did.  It was only after KM left and RD gave up (chicken or egg?) that Bowyer didn't?
    My understanding was they were RD people, not Luzon, Peters or Riga's.

I fully expect the two guys to arrive, but suspect the delay/wrangling is over terms, and not the minor compensation to Swindon. They won't be getting straight 3 year deals! We are also yet to hear/understand (nor will we likely to) the terms of Garners, could it be like Jacksons and severance will be performance related? 
    If they were Roland people not Riga etc people why did they all change when the manager did?  Barker and Nugent weren't RD people.

The Jackson contract has no bearing on anything other than Thomas didn't really want Jackson and didn't like the football.  Full stop.  It was a tool to get a job done.  No evidence at all it's been used again.

Your either putting 2 and 2 together and making 25 or still grieving.
    Barker and Nugent were when RD had an about turn of actually employing experience in English leagues Managers.

I agree TS had doubts about Jackson, but he does about everyone. He has a very clear vision as to what he wants and how to achieve that, which in many respects is great, if it works. Two years in and so far it's been a categoric failure and I don't see much change between simply repeating the same mistakes time after time. Anyone notice TS saying signings will likely be towards the end of the window? Has he learnt nothing from last year? Or does he believe players will be more desperate, and therefore cheaper, as the window draws to a close? 

I really really hope I'm wrong and Garner becomes a massive success with us, but he'll be another manager (coach) working with an arm tied behind his back, make no mistake. We'll have a very small squad thats fit and up to speed by the 1st game, remember we're starting at the end of July this year! The window closes 1st September.....

FWIW I believe from speaking to people in the game Garner is a very respected coach, but then one of the most respected in the game was Les Read - management didn't exactly work out for him and he didn't work for an owner who wanted to dictate the style of play (AFAIK!).

As I say, I truly hope he'll be a massive success, and maybe he will and take us back to the premiership only leaving to take over from Southgate....... but the current set up and based on the last two years, he's set up to fail IMHO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So much said and written about this appointment that I doubt I have anything original to say, plus I’ve never knowingly watched a Ben Garner team play, so I’ll just say… Welcome Ben and good luck. 
  • Options
    One thing we can look forward to with Ben Garner is a manager that has spent a significant part of his career coaching all of kids, teens and adults. He’s going to be able to see what probably none of our recent managers have been able to see. Sounds like coaching is his passion and that’s got to be a massive positive. I expect signings of young players from league two and one that none of us have heard of but he will have tracked. I’m quite excited by the prospect of a Charlton style. Bring on the new season.
    This for me.

Was about to post the same thing. One thing is for sure, Garner has spent years coaching players- decent ones at that.It's not like he's just hung up his boots & taken his Pro licence (like some of our recent managers 😉). 

A positive golfie post!!!! He must have gone to the pub tonight and left his phone on the table when he went to the toilet

seriously....good post and i agree
  • Options
    It’s a huge relief! Now the attention can be turned to the Swanley game!
  • Options
    This for me.

Golfie I’m probably normally one of the first to get aggy with you when you have opinions which are counter to my normally more ‘positive’ ones. 

But have to respect you for a reasonable balanced comment here, and think it’s very important that people understand, as you mentioned, that Garner is just not some complete random pulled out of nowhere because he is ‘cheap’.

As you mention he is first and foremost a coach that has seen it all, and coached at the highest level. If you listen to any of his interviews his desire to reflect upon what he has done and continue to improve sounds like a massive strength. 

I’m so excited to finally have someone in, again as Sage has mentioned, who wants to implement an identity and style of play that certainly is in line with what I want to see.

Football is a funny old game, but I’m not buzzing for next season already. 
  • Options
    This feels very much little a massive roll of the dice in so much, it could go spectacularly well or bad either way
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

The turnover in coaching staff under the succession of foreign bosses was farcical - even more so than that of managers/head coaches. I’m not sure how many were closely associated with the incumbent - I assumed Duchatelet got them by making random selections in a telephone directory.
  • Options
    Welcome Ben Garner.
    You and I and thousands of others now share a football club. A great football club.
    I will always be here, a lot of us will always be here, so whatever whatever whatever, please Mr Garner, win lots of matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Nice to see so much positivity on here. 
     👍
    I feel it’s justified, but we’ll see. Looking forward to next season now. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

My understanding was they were RD people, not Luzon, Peters or Riga's.

I fully expect the two guys to arrive, but suspect the delay/wrangling is over terms, and not the minor compensation to Swindon. They won't be getting straight 3 year deals! We are also yet to hear/understand (nor will we likely to) the terms of Garners, could it be like Jacksons and severance will be performance related? 
    I know for a fact Peters assistants were his choice, one of them was his brother in law and the other was a guy he met whilst studying for his A license. 
  • Options
    If only someone could do a summary of the verbatim quotes from Thomas Sandgaard and a Bona fide Journalist on the SLP or the Swindon roundabout sports advertiser but not posters who say they have a mate who told them or folk on the internet called Sausage or Conor just in case it turns out to be attention seekers who just rehash what they hear from each other.

Both Airman Brown and buttleJR are good sources as the former has a track record of garnering info from the inner circle over the years and the latter has a connection with Thomas who tells him information which may be smoke and mirrors but young JR passes on in good faith.
    There is only one person who is a course and distance winner in this skill on CL ?
    I call for super woman @aliwibble to separate out the wheat from the chaff.
    Thankfully things have moved on since you posted that this morning @soapboxsam, cos my brain is mush at the moment, so I've generally been skipping big chunks of this thread. And that was before the dodgy perm posts started.
  • Options
    JonT_Abs said:
    Welcome Ben. 
    Fucking Hilarious…that’s proper done me…😂😭😭🤣
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

The turnover in coaching staff under the succession of foreign bosses was farcical - even more so than that of managers/head coaches. I’m not sure how many were closely associated with the incumbent - I assumed Duchatelet got them by making random selections in a telephone directory.

Published in 2017.
  • Options
    That list just shows how dire it was during those years.  I don’t even remember o4 recognize half the names on that list.  Jose jeunechamps???
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

& in sandgaards interview I believe he said that we had about 40 applications.
  • Options
    Having had time to read reports, and listen to interviews, actually excited for the season now, hopefully we can play attacking brand of football. Clearly TS didn’t like Jacko style or the way he was setting the team up, hence it took him so long to appoint him, and was basically forced to have as manager because of the run of results. Hopefully we get a few good signings in, and get off to a good start. Could be some entertaining games down the valley this year