Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Was definitely in the “shopping at Lidl” camp when this was announced but everything I’ve read/watched/heard since he won me over.

Welcome Ben, cant wait to watch some fast paced attacking football.  
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Just win games (except in the Johnny Pizza Painting shit) and get out of this fuck hole division   Perleeeeease .

has he got that bit of steel to deal with a certain breed of footballer , let’s hope so 

about time Gallen got some more Bielik and Cullens in rather than the recent dross 

hopefully he gets the coaching support he used at Swindon and not BRFC (someone will now tell me it’s the same people!)

welcome Joel , you thought the inbreds from Swindon were a freak show , you ain’t seen nothing yet !

• Options
    Not entirely sure about this appointment. Swindon fans seem very non -plexed. I suppose in the greater scheme of things they didn't see enough of him to make a measured judgement.

Bit of a gamble by TS and if this one blows up in his face I'm really not sure what happens next.
  • Options
    Welcome Ben Garner, got an extremely good feeling about this. 

Reckon we are gonna win by some big scorelines  and look like a real dominant side. 

You’ll have to excuse me as I read a lot of posts, but a regular poster made an excellent point earlier. The last load of managers we have had sort of just fell into managing or did it for the sake of it, we have an experienced, passionate coach here who has been employed by reputable clubs and developed players. I reckon we will see some real improvement in our players individually and I can’t wait to see how we look on the first day of the season 
    You need good players to be dominant and play attacking football . 
  • Options
    Just had a chance to watch the three interviews on YouTube. Very pleased with all of them.

- Garner speaks well, calm demeanour, knows what needs to be done. Looking forward to seeing what the team looks like in a couple of months time.

- Gallen set a few rumours straight re: our transfer policy etc. Good to hear it from him, a face and name that the fanbase as a whole respects.

- Sandgaard’s switch of focus is undeniable. Not more talk of blowing the league out of the water. Every decision is being made to help give the team the best foundations and the best opportunity to gain as many points as they can.

Whether it all pans out, we’ll find out by summer 2023 but I can’t poke holes in anything the club put out today.

Welcome Ben Garner. Hopefully it’s a long and successful era.
    I wonder who the experienced managers who have premier league experience were who made it to the last 5/6 shortlist that TS mentioned? 

Immaterial now but…

Gary Monk?
    Tony Pulis?
    Tim Sherwood?
    Stuart Pearce?

Others might be John Terry, Jonathan Woodgate?

Not important now but interesting.

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Reckon we are gonna win by some big scorelines  and look like a real dominant side. 

You’ll have to excuse me as I read a lot of posts, but a regular poster made an excellent point earlier. The last load of managers we have had sort of just fell into managing or did it for the sake of it, we have an experienced, passionate coach here who has been employed by reputable clubs and developed players. I reckon we will see some real improvement in our players individually and I can’t wait to see how we look on the first day of the season 
    And we already have 5-7 before we have even got down to business, if he can get a side like Swindon playing ball with minimal investment, I’m sure he can get a side like ours playing with an owner who puts his money where his mouth is
  • Options
    On another note, watching the TS interviews? Is he having a pop at JJ/Stockley? Obviously there’s whispers of Stockley wanting out and Wednesday being linked by one of their local journos, TS says something along the lines of ‘the days of knocking it up to a big striker are over’. Feels like a bit of a pop when you consider that was our previous managers style and our main strikers strength..

I am not opposed to selling Stockley if it means it makes way for other strikers who have looked good like Alfie May or Stockton.

Get the feeling based on our owner, manager and style we we trying to implement that Stockley will be off 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:
    swordfish said:
    Here's the chant I've been working on, to be sung raucously to the tune of ‘David Pleat’s A Pervert’, or should I say ‘My Old Man’s a Dustman’,

🎵
    Ben Garner's No Nigel,
    He's Proper Charlton Now,
    He F***ing Hates the Eagles,
    Says he'd rather be a Cow.
    (Moooooo!)
    🎵

Drawing out chanting ‘Moo!’ at the end appeals to my infantile sense of humour and the kids can join in with it. I can’t see it catching on, but ‘Goodbye Horse!’ mysteriously did back in the day.

Anyway, why not try it out at home and see what the missus thinks, those preferring more moderate language substituting “F***ing Hates” with “Doesn’t Like,” although it loses something in the delivery I find.

If sung loudly enough, he might even look over to milk it.

No! Alright I'll get my coat then and withdraw my application for the post of Poet Laureate.

Insert clown for cow 
    clowns don't moo...
    You're not wrong, and without the (moo..) the whole thing falls apart.

Instead of 'cowI tried using 'sow', but grunting doesn't work as well and might offend the local constabulary.

Besides, I don't want to see our own BeeGee wearing big red shoes and making us out to be a 🤣OXO.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    Garner's obviously happy with how things are. 
    Is he ? 
    Just going by the fact he's just signed a 3 year contract, I'd say he was happy. Maybe you know a fact that says he ain't happy, 48 hours into it??
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

And we already have 5-7 before we have even got down to business, if he can get a side like Swindon playing ball with minimal investment, I’m sure he can get a side like ours playing with an owner who puts his money where his mouth is
    I'd love to be optimistic, although innate pessimism does mean that you are pleasantly surprised a lot.  I don't see the 5-7 though.  I can see CBT playing in an attacking side, plus Dobbo as insurance.  I can't see any of our strikers playing in a high tempo, high pressing side.  JFC would be good enough if he can stay fit; jury massively out on Fraser/Kirk etc. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Just had a chance to watch the three interviews on YouTube. Very pleased with all of them.

- Garner speaks well, calm demeanour, knows what needs to be done. Looking forward to seeing what the team looks like in a couple of months time.

- Gallen set a few rumours straight re: our transfer policy etc. Good to hear it from him, a face and name that the fanbase as a whole respects.

- Sandgaard’s switch of focus is undeniable. Not more talk of blowing the league out of the water. Every decision is being made to help give the team the best foundations and the best opportunity to gain as many points as they can.

Whether it all pans out, we’ll find out by summer 2023 but I can’t poke holes in anything the club put out today.

Welcome Ben Garner. Hopefully it’s a long and successful era.
    I wonder who the experienced managers who have premier league experience were who made it to the last 5/6 shortlist that TS mentioned? 

Immaterial now but…

Gary Monk?
    Tony Pulis?
    Tim Sherwood?
    Stuart Pearce?

Others might be John Terry, Jonathan Woodgate?

Not important now but interesting.

He also said some on the final shortlist have taken other jobs. Assume Beale is one of those, not sure who the others would be, not that it matters now.
  • Options
    To the tune of Lee Lee Lee Bow-yer it will be Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner which will be a bit of a low in creativity.
    If the fans want the manager to up our game, then Garner has the right to expect the fans to up their game in chants.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

I'd love to be optimistic, although innate pessimism does mean that you are pleasantly surprised a lot.  I don't see the 5-7 though.  I can see CBT playing in an attacking side, plus Dobbo as insurance.  I can't see any of our strikers playing in a high tempo, high pressing side.  JFC would be good enough if he can stay fit; jury massively out on Fraser/Kirk etc. 
    that’s fair enough mate. The 4 I think without a doubt are good enough are; Dobson, CBT, JFC and Fraser. Then you can make arguments that Stockley, Innis, Lavelle are good players and even Morgan/DJ/Kirk could be good players in the right setting. Only time will tell. I am certainly more glass half full if that helps haha 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good interviews, certainly, and Garner comes across as a bright guy who knows what he is talking about.

However, to achieve the vision of effective high press attacking football in this division requires good athletic players, with strong mentalities who are probably younger too. This will not come cheap and we need 5 or 6 of this ilk who can walk straight into the 1st team.
  • Options
    Good interviews, certainly, and Garner comes across as a bright guy who knows what he is talking about.

However, to achieve the vision of effective high press attacking football in this division requires good athletic players, with strong mentalities who are probably younger too. This will not come cheap and we need 5 or 6 of this ilk who can walk straight into the 1st team.
    Not entirely true. Coaching and tactics play a big part as well. Things like starting position, closing off passing routes, and acting in unity are important.

I would also argue that the attributes you list apply are basic requirements for any footballer we would want to see at our Club.
  • Options
    So a question.

When was the last time we took a in work manager from another club?

Dowie had resigned, the Belgian network moving the deckchairs on the Titanic doesn't count.

Tarbuck was unemployed as were Slade, Mullery and Parkinson, Jacko and Bowyer inhouse as were Bailey, Craggs, Lawrence, Curbs and Gritt, Firmani and Foley.  Powell was employed but as a coach not a manager.

So I make it that the last manager we took from another club was Andy Nelson in 1974!

Before that I'm not sure about Stokoe but otherwise it might be Jimmy Seed.
    Karel Fraeye joined from VW Hamme, a Belgian third tier club at the time and not part of Roland’s network.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    If only someone could do a summary of the verbatim quotes from Thomas Sandgaard and a Bona fide Journalist on the SLP or the Swindon roundabout sports advertiser but not posters who say they have a mate who told them or folk on the internet called Sausage or Conor just in case it turns out to be attention seekers who just rehash what they hear from each other.

Both Airman Brown and buttleJR are good sources as the former has a track record of garnering info from the inner circle over the years and the latter has a connection with Thomas who tells him information which may be smoke and mirrors but young JR passes on in good faith.
    There is only one person who is a course and distance winner in this skill on CL ?
    I call for super woman @aliwibble to separate out the wheat from the chaff.
    Thankfully things have moved on since you posted that this morning @soapboxsam, cos my brain is mush at the moment, so I've generally been skipping big chunks of this thread. And that was before the dodgy perm posts started.

Ali, I'm so pleased the impasse finished and you never have to start an abridged version that you undertook when breaking down the Guinness book of records thread. Your green perm will never be mentioned again.
    Cheers.