Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    paulg1947 said:
    I've been waiting years & years for a manager to implement an attacking team  - one that has more shots than the opposition & puts that above defending.

Only problem is.............has he seen the current squad ?  A lot of rebuilding & coaching needed to get this lot shooting at every opportuinty.

At least I've found my home......... :)
    I've seen enough teams with lower budgets than us playing a passing and attacking style of football, to suggest you don't need a Man City budget to change your style, and that players can adapt
    But you do need the players. Squads way deficient on attacking options right now. You can’t polish a turd.
    Building from the back,  Players often have to pass across the goal area, if not back to the keeper, then again forward ,particularly if the other team''s forwards have a 'high press'policy. Are our defenders quality enough to execute this ,If not, there will be a lot of hearts in ones mouths. And whats all this about attacking football ? In the 50s and 60s a forward line advanced, all 5, in a W formation, leaving it open at the back .Jonny Summers scored for fun, but Willie Duff was always picking the ball out of the back of the net  Think 7-6 with Huddersfield and 6-6 with Middlesborogh, or was it Plymouth? Surely we need a balanced team, Mr BG and attack attack is beginning to worry me. 
    I think the mistake we all make is taking everything too literally. 
  • Options
    Still don't think using Stats,KPI performance and algorithms are necessarily the way to go for selecting Charlton managers. Other clubs yes. Just not us.
    Time will tell I suppose.
    I agree, but I don’t think for a moment that the only reason they’ve picked BG is because of his stats. 
  • Options
    From my Swindon-supporting mate:
    Hmm, he likes possession based football so expect to have the ball loads and not have a shot on target. No plan b but that’s probably more to do with the lack of depth in our squad. Saying that he did get us to the playoffs and the football wasn’t to horrendous so not all bad.
    Sounds like our last two managers, with the exception of getting to the play-offs!

Don't the stats say otherwise? 

Seems everyone has a Swindon supporting mate. Didn't realise they were so popular. 
    I was thinking the same. Bit of luck no one has a Bristol Rovers supporting mate. They got nothing but bad things to say about Garner. 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Interesting that he name drops John Bostock in there given the recent rumours. I know Gallen has been after him for a while but it could also imply that Garner has been having input on transfers for a little bit already
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited June 2022
    I'd like to be the first to welcome Stewie Grffin as the new manager of Charlton Athletic.... hope the negotiations are going well to get the rest of the family on board, Stewie.

Can't wait to see you adapt the tactics learned at the Jewish soccer school...

• Options
    I didn't think for one minute it would be Warburton or Beale (even if he really did apply last time)
    I'm very relieved we didn't go down the fallen star from yesteryear route again or indeed the internal appointment option.
    Up and coming / rising star is good.
    No idea how it will pan out but juices are flowing again and I can't wait for the new season to begin.
    I still think we need half a dozen quality additions and I don't know how suited or otherwise many of our current squad are for the style Garner promises.
    Just hope Thomas supports BG with the resources he wants and needs.
    No doubt it won't be a smooth ride I for one have got me mojo back. Woohoo!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All fart and no shit/all balls and no willy
  • Options
    Oh great. What are we supposed to moan about now?
  • Options
    edited June 2022

is that real?
    Yes.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

is that real?
    No.
  • Options
    thanks for clearing that up Rylo...
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Here's the chant I've been working on, to be sung raucously to the tune of ‘David Pleat’s A Pervert’, or should I say ‘My Old Man’s a Dustman’,

🎵
    Ben Garner's No Nigel,
    He's Proper Charlton Now,
    He F***ing Hates the Eagles,
    Says he'd rather be a Cow.
    (Moooooo!)
    🎵

Drawing out chanting ‘Moo!’ at the end appeals to my infantile sense of humour and the kids can join in with it. I can’t see it catching on, but ‘Goodbye Horse!’ mysteriously did back in the day.

Anyway, why not try it out at home and see what the missus thinks, those preferring more moderate language substituting “F***ing Hates” with “Doesn’t Like,” although it loses something in the delivery I find.

If sung loudly enough, he might even look over to milk it.

No! Alright I'll get my coat then and withdraw my application for the post of Poet Laureate.

Insert clown for cow 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Both assistants haven't yet been interviewed apparently. Hopefully they are soon...
    Not sure why they need to be interviewed if they’ve already worked with Garner. 
    Perhaps he is interviewing other coaches.
  • Options
    shit appointment - "Ben Garner's Red and White Army" doesn't scan well. It will have to be Benny...
  • Options
    TEL said:
    swordfish said:
    Here's the chant I've been working on, to be sung raucously to the tune of ‘David Pleat’s A Pervert’, or should I say ‘My Old Man’s a Dustman’,

🎵
    Ben Garner's No Nigel,
    He's Proper Charlton Now,
    He F***ing Hates the Eagles,
    Says he'd rather be a Cow.
    (Moooooo!)
    🎵

Drawing out chanting ‘Moo!’ at the end appeals to my infantile sense of humour and the kids can join in with it. I can’t see it catching on, but ‘Goodbye Horse!’ mysteriously did back in the day.

Anyway, why not try it out at home and see what the missus thinks, those preferring more moderate language substituting “F***ing Hates” with “Doesn’t Like,” although it loses something in the delivery I find.

If sung loudly enough, he might even look over to milk it.

No! Alright I'll get my coat then and withdraw my application for the post of Poet Laureate.

Insert clown for cow 
    clowns don't moo...
  • Options
    There could be a trio of Pembury boys.

Ben Garner, Jonny Williams and the new keeper ??????

Sam Billings !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rylo said:

is that real?
    Yes.
    Rylo said:

is that real?
    No.
    Rylo said:

is that real?
    Maybe.
    Can you repeat the question....

You're not the boss of me now, you're not the boss of me now and you're not so big...
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Benny G’s red & white Army,

Can just hear it ringing out on a northern trip to Morecombe.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Given BG wants to play pressing, attacking possession football [which will be great], how many of our current squad will survive this change of approach? JS will not fit into this style of play, will he?
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Given BG wants to play pressing, attacking possession football [which will be great], how many of our current squad will survive this change of approach? JS will not fit into this style of play, will he?
    He’ll trip over his own donkey feet
  • Options
    New song because Allez allez is very tiresome now.

We’ve got super Benny garner 
    He knows exactly what we need
    with lavelle at the back
    and stockley in attack
    charlton are gonna win the football league…(again)  
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKgGC45pdI
  • Options
    doe's he go by "Benny" or are people just using it to fit into songs?

• Options

His Mum calls him Benjamin, David 😉.
  • Options

Not at all…TS calls him the special one..couldn’t fit that in a song