Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    cfgs said:
    Well Manning is definitely going to be managing in League 1 next season unless he leaves MK.
    He will be at MK next season unless someone wants to pay a hefty amount of bucks in compensation
  • Options
    20K pw = £1M pa, not £10M pa.
    Either way, ludicrous money.  It’s multiples of what we pay our players and, call me old fashioned, I think the blokes that kick the ball are more important.  What was JJ on?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I know Warburton is leaving QPR, but would a mid table League one club be a big enough draw, or does he see himself as a championship manager?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Warburton
    Think Charlton a great job for anyone the potential is massive .. Facillites second to none .

it’s a great challenge for anyone who has faith in himself 
    Facilities second to none!
    Ermmmm, they aren’t the worst by any means but to describe them as second to none is way off the mark.
  • Options
    I know Warburton is leaving QPR, but would a mid table League one club be a big enough draw, or does he see himself as a championship manager?

Depends on how much he is offered 
    Won't be much if Tommy is paying.
  • Options
    The facilities are rented
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    The facilities are rented
    The whole place is rented.
  • Options
    Quite how we are going to sign a manager with any real quality when our current head of scouting and recruitment was a travelling medical salesman less than two years ago is anyone's guess?
    Who dat?
  • Options
    Quite how we are going to sign a manager with any real quality when our current head of scouting and recruitment was a travelling medical salesman less than two years ago is anyone's guess?
    Who dat?
    The Enfield Pele.
  • Options

I don't think it's entirely out of the question. We did finish mid table this season but everyone will be aware that that's not our natural position.

If he wants a club where he gets a full summer, I'm not aware of any Championship clubs that have a vacancy other than the one he just left...
    We are the next London club in the pecking order after QPR from the league tables if he wants to remain in London. Not really a lot out there for current managers. Doubt he would get the Watford job. Only other local ish ones in championship is maybe Reading and Bristol which might come up next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    Was informed that Beale will be a non starter as he was not happy that Thomas said he had contacted him in an interview when Adkins left. I can't recall this can anyone verify please? Hoping this is not the case and Beale is a possibility. Thomas has verified to me that he tried to contact Beale last time.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-thomas-sandgaard-gives-update-on-charlton-athletic-managerial-situation/ (November 2021)

And then appointed…Jackson!
    Csnt believe a word he says really.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Was informed that Beale will be a non starter as he was not happy that Thomas said he had contacted him in an interview when Adkins left. I can't recall this can anyone verify please? Hoping this is not the case and Beale is a possibility. Thomas has verified to me that he tried to contact Beale last time.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-thomas-sandgaard-gives-update-on-charlton-athletic-managerial-situation/ (November 2021)

And then appointed…Jackson!
    Csnt believe a word he says really.
    The pressure on TS to appoint Jackson after those initial results was enormous. I’m not blaming Sandgaard for talking to someone and then being effectively forced into appointing someone else.
    He’s just so clumsy with his statements that while they’re supposed to be the official line they just seem more like gossip 
  • Options
    How soon is too soon to announce a new manager? - it will be a week on Wednesday (11th) since it was announced JJ wasn't being retained
  • Options
    Chris Wilder
    Paul Heckingbottom
    Ryan Lowe
    Shota Arveladze
    Steve Bruce
    Paul Ince
  • Options
    Chris Wilder
    Paul Heckingbottom
    Ryan Lowe
    Shota Arveladze
    Steve Bruce
    Paul Ince
    What’s the point in that list? Are they not all managing in the champ? 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Although it's obvious anyway I can confirm no chance on Lowe, and I do have a very reliable source on all things Preston which I shan't be revealing. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Chris Wilder
    Paul Heckingbottom
    Ryan Lowe
    Shota Arveladze
    Steve Bruce
    Paul Ince
    What’s the point in that list? Are they not all managing in the champ? 
    It was just a list of managers who have started their role in the Championship since Jacko got the job, in response to the post above mine…

“ it has been referred to on here that a bigger name was lined up whose now managing in the championship”

Not saying any of them are realistic options this summer. With the exception of Ince, probably.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we need to always remember the hours we were away from extinction. Then 'enter sandman' and we not only remained in existence but brought quality in many. areas of the club. Developing players, improving the excellent youth set up and infrastructure of the club. It's on a sound footing. Sandman didn't come in with a sledgehammer firing everyone. He gave current incumbent Lee Bowyer the benefit of the doubt (good decision). Didn't stand in his way (good decision) when he went to Brum. Hired what seemed a safe and experienced and proven pair of hands in Smiley Nige (good decision after the limited tactics of Bowyer). Acted to stop the decline and fired him (another good decision). Gave the untried JJ his first taste of management and didn't hurry to give him a contract but gave him a prolonged period of caretaker boss (another good decision) His first glaringly poor decision I feel was bowing to the unrelenting clamour from 'experts' aka fans! and gave him the job permanently. First whiff of pressure and the whole thing nose-dived. And saying JJ was part of his plans for next season only weeks ago (wrong decision) He owns the club. And while he can't simply do as he wants a la Roland Shathouse of yesteryear. He CAN hire and fire who he deems is right or not right for the progress of the club. And overall, silly comments aside, I think he has done a lot right. And firing JJ was also the right decision. He was righting the wrong decision of hiring him on a permanent in the first place. 

I am confident that he will hire THE RIGHT guy for this time. He has seen enough to know that tired old managers well past their best are no good. And untried glorified team coaches are not suitable either. And if he IS the RIGHT guy, he will get this club up in a year. I'd lose the whole frontline and bring in quality. So many games last season were lost not simply by JJ ineptitude but misfiring strikers. Missington particularly. But Stuckley too. 

Would really like to see Warburton. Definitely. would NOT want Hasselblad, Hughton, Evans or Ferguson take the reigns. 

The problem is if he did interview them all, they all probably all talk a good game, otherwise they wouldn’t have got jobs, how does he differentiate between them all, apart from them telling him what he wants to hear?
  • Options
    A lot of it will come down to who has sold Thomas ‘the best vision’ and who he feels he can get along with, not what the fans think.
  • Options
    A lot of it will come down to who has sold Thomas ‘the best vision’ and who he feels he can get along with, not what the fans think.
    That worked with Adkins 
  • Options

Sounds ideal ?
    We have a bad side and the spine is out of shape.
  • Options
    Fairly measured response from TS. He could be blowing smoke of course but would like to know who has applied! 

Not based on anything but I reckon Matt Taylor would have put his name forward!