Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    I find that interview quite interesting, does make me feel like it's more likely going to be a first timer young head coach from a PL club . 

Warburton aside I just don't especially rate the " experienced" names that have been banded about. Likes of Lennon and Kean I could see applying and probably Darren Ferguson as well. 
  • Options
    I feel going down the younger coach route would be the way forward to build something at the club. 

Does anyone think any of our existing coaches would throw their hat in the ring, i.e. Anthony Hayes or Hamza Serrar? 
  • Options
    Another name that hasn't really been mentioned is Paul Cook? 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    He's back at Chesterfield now - Be surprised if TS showed interest given his Ipswich performances.
  • Options
    I think we need to always remember the hours we were away from extinction. Then 'enter sandman' and we not only remained in existence but brought quality in many. areas of the club. Developing players, improving the excellent youth set up and infrastructure of the club. It's on a sound footing. Sandman didn't come in with a sledgehammer firing everyone. He gave current incumbent Lee Bowyer the benefit of the doubt (good decision). Didn't stand in his way (good decision) when he went to Brum. Hired what seemed a safe and experienced and proven pair of hands in Smiley Nige (good decision after the limited tactics of Bowyer). Acted to stop the decline and fired him (another good decision). Gave the untried JJ his first taste of management and didn't hurry to give him a contract but gave him a prolonged period of caretaker boss (another good decision) His first glaringly poor decision I feel was bowing to the unrelenting clamour from 'experts' aka fans! and gave him the job permanently. First whiff of pressure and the whole thing nose-dived. And saying JJ was part of his plans for next season only weeks ago (wrong decision) He owns the club. And while he can't simply do as he wants a la Roland Shathouse of yesteryear. He CAN hire and fire who he deems is right or not right for the progress of the club. And overall, silly comments aside, I think he has done a lot right. And firing JJ was also the right decision. He was righting the wrong decision of hiring him on a permanent in the first place. 

I am confident that he will hire THE RIGHT guy for this time. He has seen enough to know that tired old managers well past their best are no good. And untried glorified team coaches are not suitable either. And if he IS the RIGHT guy, he will get this club up in a year. I'd lose the whole frontline and bring in quality. So many games last season were lost not simply by JJ ineptitude but misfiring strikers. Missington particularly. But Stuckley too. 

Would really like to see Warburton. Definitely. would NOT want Hasselblad, Hughton, Evans or Ferguson take the reigns. 

The problem is if he did interview them all, they all probably all talk a good game, otherwise they wouldn’t have got jobs, how does he differentiate between them all, apart from them telling him what he wants to hear?
    How would you differentiate between them ? I’m sure TS would take advice and look at stats and I expect that’s how you’d do it too. There’s no perfect or surefire way of making any appointment.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    RedRobin said:
    I feel going down the younger coach route would be the way forward to build something at the club. 

Does anyone think any of our existing coaches would throw their hat in the ring, i.e. Anthony Hayes or Hamza Serrar? 

They can but they will be rejected as It feels like Thomas Sandgaard will go for a established manager but one who has just finished this season in employment. 

TS was right to give the Job to Jackson as his record was top 6 as a caretaker and entitled to sack him at the end of the season. I'm and was gutted as I thought with new faster Wing backs we could kick on even if the 3-5-2 needed work on when out of possession !

No insider info on the next manager but about the time JJ was getting the phone call from Sandgaard on bank holiday Monday I was in conversation and being told that Johnnie Jackson doesn't know his position for next season and this very reliable source confirmed that many players were unsure what was going to happen. No real breaking news but; CBT has interesting initials considering his nervous disposition before matches when he gets anxious and Chuks Aneke prefers to start on the bench.  Makes you realize how the mind of footballers have to be worked on as much as their bodies.
  • Options
    Milton Keynes play a 3-5-2. Manning Out.

QPR play a 3-5-2. Warburton out.

What’s Mike Bassett up to?
    3-5-2 is not a problem at all, in fact it can be a benefit.
    Jacko's problem was trying to play a formation without having the players able to play it.
    Hence wingers and full backs trying to play wing back.
    Full backs and midfielders asked to play in central defence etc.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    He's back at Chesterfield now - Be surprised if TS showed interest given his Ipswich performances.
    In favour one minute. Out of favour the next.
    Sooner or later Sandgaard will realise that he has to stick with someone for longer than 6 months, maybe a couple of seasons before they show their true potential, as unpleasant as that may sound.
    Smashing it out of the park straight after you've walked on the door is highly unlikely in this industry and this league.

Still convinced Jacko was the man for that.
    Thats something we as fans need to realise as well.

With TS on social media, he's going to have seen the calls for Adkins / Jackson to go - Has that slightly helped influence his decision a little bit - Really wouldn't be surprised if it was the case with Adkins, as the atmosphere was turning on him so early in games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jacko's problem was trying to play a formation without having the players able to play it.
    Wing back is not a position that people grow up playing- all wing backs are either defenders or wingers converted.   He didn't have the players to play 433 or the diamond so that is what he was left with.  It wasn't great- the games were dull, but it worked a lot better than 9 in 13 Nigel achieved.  
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Good shout that
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Sooner or later Sandgaard will realise that he has to stick with someone for longer than 6 months, maybe a couple of seasons before they show their true potential, as unpleasant as that may sound.
    Smashing it out of the park straight after you've walked in the door is highly unlikely in this industry and this league.

This 
  • Options

Fixation on formations is a problem.

Dobson is a perfect example of a player doing the job he's good at and focus on it. He wasn't suited to the job Sunderland wanted him to perform and was rubbish as far as their fans were concerned.

A team where as many of the players are playing their best and favoured position but is imbalanced in terms of formation might have been better than experimenting with pegs and round holes.  So ideal manager in my book is one who can spot where his players should be playing and allow the formation to be dictated by what he has available.  Play 3-5-2 if you think that's the optimal formation when you have the players to pull it off.

If it's a coach then again I would like to think he was good at getting players better at what they already do well rather than turning a midfielder into a full back.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Smashing it out of the park straight after you've walked on the door is highly unlikely in this industry and this league.

With TS on social media, he's going to have seen the calls for Adkins / Jackson to go - Has that slightly helped influence his decision a little bit - Really wouldn't be surprised if it was the case with Adkins, as the atmosphere was turning on him so early in games.
    The initial reason for the sackings has got to be based on the football/results from both managers. I fully accept that the results under JJ were better minus that terrible run but the football itself was dreadful. 

Lack of fit strikers was part of the problem in that terrible run but surely if you cant score goals then you make yourselves harder to beat and maybe pinch a late goal or nick a draw instead of playing the same way as if you had these fit strikers. If you cant adapt to give the team the best chance to get results then long term, it doesnt bode well.
  • Options
    I think we need to always remember the hours we were away from extinction. Then 'enter sandman' and we not only remained in existence but brought quality in many. areas of the club. Developing players, improving the excellent youth set up and infrastructure of the club. It's on a sound footing. Sandman didn't come in with a sledgehammer firing everyone. He gave current incumbent Lee Bowyer the benefit of the doubt (good decision). Didn't stand in his way (good decision) when he went to Brum. Hired what seemed a safe and experienced and proven pair of hands in Smiley Nige (good decision after the limited tactics of Bowyer). Acted to stop the decline and fired him (another good decision). Gave the untried JJ his first taste of management and didn't hurry to give him a contract but gave him a prolonged period of caretaker boss (another good decision) His first glaringly poor decision I feel was bowing to the unrelenting clamour from 'experts' aka fans! and gave him the job permanently. First whiff of pressure and the whole thing nose-dived. And saying JJ was part of his plans for next season only weeks ago (wrong decision) He owns the club. And while he can't simply do as he wants a la Roland Shathouse of yesteryear. He CAN hire and fire who he deems is right or not right for the progress of the club. And overall, silly comments aside, I think he has done a lot right. And firing JJ was also the right decision. He was righting the wrong decision of hiring him on a permanent in the first place. 

I am confident that he will hire THE RIGHT guy for this time. He has seen enough to know that tired old managers well past their best are no good. And untried glorified team coaches are not suitable either. And if he IS the RIGHT guy, he will get this club up in a year. I'd lose the whole frontline and bring in quality. So many games last season were lost not simply by JJ ineptitude but misfiring strikers. Missington particularly. But Stuckley too. 

Would really like to see Warburton. Definitely. would NOT want Hasselblad, Hughton, Evans or Ferguson take the reigns. 

The problem is if he did interview them all, they all probably all talk a good game, otherwise they wouldn’t have got jobs, how does he differentiate between them all, apart from them telling him what he wants to hear?
    How would you differentiate between them ? I’m sure TS would take advice and look at stats and I expect that’s how you’d do it too. There’s no perfect or surefire way of making any appointment.
    Really?

Name names.

This is a large part of the problem.  It doesn't occur to him.  He thinks he knows best.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if we do end up implementing a complete new playing style and philosophy next season, if on the whole the fan base will get behind it, even if it does produce mixed results to begin with. 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

100% agree.

Fans ask for this but then as soon as there is a couple of bad results it’s ‘sack him now - he’s lost the dressing room’. It’s a shame that the least tolerant are normally the most vocal.

Time will tell is TS has got it right with Jackson. It is a brave move that could go either way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    TS maybe describing Manning. MKD will be saying goodbye to five of their first team who were on loan and will no doubt be targets for bigger Clubs to buy or get on loan next season. They also have a couple of good players that could, and probably will leave. Twine being one.

I see us a big upgrade that would give him the opportunity to build something more permanent and with the prospects of going a lot higher than MKD.
    Good call. And playing in that monster of a stadium when it’s virtually empty, week in, week out, must be thoroughly depressing. They still don’t feel like a real club to me. 
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if we do end up implementing a complete new playing style and philosophy next season, if on the whole the fan base will get behind it, even if it does produce mixed results to begin with. 
    It’ll only last until Xmas before the next manager changes it.
  • Options
    I am sure Nathan Jones will be manager at some point during the next 5 years, just need the timmings to work
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Really?

Name names.

This is a large part of the problem.  It doesn't occur to him.  He thinks he knows best.
    Sandgaard hasn’t become a multi millionaire with a successful international company by continually making the wrong decisions. I’m pretty confident he takes advice. You don’t like him but why this continual posting of negatives when you have absolutely no fecking clue how TS operates. 
    I base my opinion on evidence.  If he 'takes advice' (which you are pretty confident about), then who?  Or is that confidence merely an opinion?

And my comments are not 'negatives' ... they are observations based on his actions and outcomes.

OK for you?
    TS took advice on buying us in the first place and has spoken of talking to Steve Parry at Crystal Palace. There have also been suggestions that he talks to Mathew Benham.
    Just saying.
  • Options
    My biggest fear is we get a 'name' manager who is on the way down. Surprised at the lack of progress...
  • Options
    My biggest fear is we get a 'name' manager who is on the way down. Surprised at the lack of progress...
    Or surprised at not being told about the progress?