Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    paulfox said:
    I rate Matt Taylor an Exeter play an expansive attacking game which fits with the direction TS wants to go in.

Whenever Taylor is interviewed he speaks well and seems to have his head screwed on.

I suspect it might be tricky to get him as he we will probably want to "finish" what he has started with Exeter.
    No disrespect to Exeter but could argue he has finished what he's started.

League One is really their ceiling level - He's done a great job getting them back at this level.

But think if he stays, the best he can do with them is mid-table
    I’d say that’s completely disrespectful, are you saying Exeter can’t go up any further? If so why on earth not?, I’m afraid you maybe need to take off the rose tinted glasses where we are concerned. There could be an argument that they are on the way up passing us on the way down.🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m not an Exeter fan for the record!!😂. Just not sure of our attraction level to people outside of Charlton.
    What rose tinted glasses... I didnt even mention us in that post? 

I'm just basing my opinion on what Exeter have achieved in the past, combined with the fact they're fan owned - If they can get promoted to the Championship then they'll have done an excellent job, but I'd be surprised if they achieved it.
    You were eluding to the fact as I read it, that a move to us would be a step up, I was merely playing devils advocate and saying that maybe we see ourselves above others unnecessarily now. We as a fan base would have got the right arse if people had said we’d reached our ceiling when in the championship, to then get promoted to the prem. all I’m saying is we no longer have a right to put tickets on ourselves as a club. We are being caught up and overtaken.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think Exeter will look at Burton, Yeovil, Wycombe etc and think that could be them within a season or three.

Yes it’s more common than not that such teams find it hard to break through to the next level but I’m sure Taylor believes they have the set-up in place to emulate those other team’s successes.

Edit to add the below paragraphs:
    Taylor would need to be convinced that Sandgaard’s intentions are serious to consider moving at this point in time IMO.

It’s not impossible though. Look at Wilder who left Northampton for Sheff Utd the season after getting them promoted.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I rate Matt Taylor an Exeter play an expansive attacking game which fits with the direction TS wants to go in.

Whenever Taylor is interviewed he speaks well and seems to have his head screwed on.

I suspect it might be tricky to get him as he we will probably want to "finish" what he has started with Exeter.

League One is really their ceiling level - He's done a great job getting them back at this level.

I’d say that’s completely disrespectful, are you saying Exeter can’t go up any further? If so why on earth not?, I’m afraid you maybe need to take off the rose tinted glasses where we are concerned. There could be an argument that they are on the way up passing us on the way down.🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m not an Exeter fan for the record!!😂. Just not sure of our attraction level to people outside of Charlton.
    They've never been higher than League 1 and have average attendences below 5,000 most seasons. Lovely club I'm sure but if you're an ambitious manager, Charlton are a much more attractive proposition. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:

They've never been higher than League 1 and have average attendences below 5,000 most seasons. Lovely club I'm sure but if you're an ambitious manager, Charlton are a much more attractive proposition. 
    And I’m sure you would have been saying the same about Bournemouth for example a while back.  Too much living in the past I’m afraid, as proud as I am of our past, it has to be met with some realism that maybe we are not what we once were. 
  • Options
    I think you'll find Exeter have never played in The Premier League and aren't owned by a stinking rich owner.
  • Options
    Exeter City have never been higher than L1/D3 in their history.
    They have spent the vast majority of their history in L2.
    Charlton have played in The Premier League and D1 and have won the FA Cup.
    Charlton have never played in L2.
    Moving to Charlton would obviously be a step up, end of story, unless you think Exeter are on a par with Charlton, Sunderland, Sheff W, Ipswich, Portsmouth etc.
    They are temporarily in the same division, nothing more and nothing less.
    You may as well say Brentford to Liverpool or Man U wouldn't be a step up.
    Your putting words in my mouth with the last bit of bollox, all the wonderful history you give as an argument doesn’t mean fuckall while we are finishing mid table league 1. Maybe look at the company we were keeping in the last league table,not the examples of sides you are comparing us to for the reality. That’s where we are at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you'll find Exeter have never played in The Premier League and aren't owned by a stinking rich owner.
    Are you saying it will never happen for a fact? No you can not.  It could happen to any number of clubs. Bournemouth didn’t always have that rich owner.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    paulfox said:
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:

And I’m sure you would have been saying the same about Bournemouth for example a while back.  Too much living in the past I’m afraid, as proud as I am of our past, it has to be met with some realism that maybe we are not what we once were. 
    Bournemouth had a rich ambitious owner funding them. There will be plenty of examples of managers leaving smaller League 1 clubs for the bigger clubs in the division, regardless of whether that bigger club finished mid table. Managers think they’ll be the one to turn them around. And if the club has been a basket case in recent seasons then they have an ideal excuse if it doesn’t happen.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Are you saying it will never happen for a fact? No you can not.  It could happen to any number of clubs. Bournemouth didn’t always have that rich owner.
    But the original point that was being made is that right now Exeter are unlikely to be able to push a great deal higher with their resources. It's entirely possible that Taylor is sat around thinking 'I'll never leave, what if a billionaire buys us tomorrow!' but more likely he would view Charlton and Exeter the way he did when he was a player, which is that one has the resources and set-up to climb higher in the pyramid than the other, which likely makes Charlton a more attractive prospect. It's not disrespectful to recognise a gulf in resource.
  • Options
    Taylor would be bound to be at least a bit interested in the job, though worth noting that it's not a Chris Powell situation.

Powell was a club legend "returning home" to the club where he had the strongest bond. Taylor was a decent player for us, but only played 58 games. Indeed he played far more for Exeter
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I think Matt Taylor was if Jacko's closet mates in the promotion winning squad. Would Taylor come here based on conversations with Jacko based on how it really works behind the scenes here?

Hope I'm wrong as he would be great appointment 
    My thoughts too.

• Options
    Mark Bonner.

Discuss.
  • Options
    paulfox said:

He’ll probably join us to cut down on the travelling. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    paulfox said:

Taylor’s family are based in the North West
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:

It’s not living in the past, just a bit of common sense 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mark Bonner.

Discuss.
    For any particular reason?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Mark Bonner.

Discuss.
    Based on the new setup at the club, both Mark Bonner and Mark Warburton would make a lot of sense

Given both Tom Pell and Jon de Souza have worked with each of them respectively elsewhere.

Given that Tommy Sandgaard is our owner, I think we can rule out any common sense, so can disregard Bonner / Warburton ;)

I mean we thought that about Roddy / Adkins
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    paulfox said:

Not for long ;-)

[PS ;-) doesn’t me I know something, sadly.]

Exter must cover more miles on their travels than practically any other club I’m guessing. Apart from Torquay maybe? 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    paulfox said:
    The chances of Exeter City reaching The Premier League is roughly on a par with Charlton getting into The Champions League.
    I presume you think that's likely?
    Man U could be non league in 4 years time and Charlton could be Champions of Europe, blah blah.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    paulfox said:

Not for long ;-)

Exter must cover more miles on their travels than practically any other club I’m guessing. Apart from Torquay maybe? 
    Chorley to be exact
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:

It’s not living in the past, just a bit of common sense 
    Common sense is conspicuous by it's absence.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    paulfox said:

Not for long ;-)

Plymouth?
  • Options
    Mark has a Boner.

Discuss.
    😬