Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Quite how we are going to sign a manager with any real quality when our current head of scouting and recruitment was a travelling medical salesman less than two years ago is anyone's guess?
    Bit late to the party as usual but think the same, why would a decent quality manager want to come to a club where the owner/CEO is based in the States with no experience of running a football club but won't employ or listen to experienced football people & our recruitment boffin is his son who again has no experience in football other than having a hard shot. Gallen appears to have taken a back seat as negotiator. It's a recipe for disaster & we'll end up with someone simply happy to take a wage & eventual pay off.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Redrobo said:
    TS maybe describing Manning. MKD will be saying goodbye to five of their first team who were on loan and will no doubt be targets for bigger Clubs to buy or get on loan next season. They also have a couple of good players that could, and probably will leave. Twine being one.

I see us a big upgrade that would give him the opportunity to build something more permanent and with the prospects of going a lot higher than MKD.
    Good call. And playing in that monster of a stadium when it’s virtually empty, week in, week out, must be thoroughly depressing. They still don’t feel like a real club to me. 
    Manning would be a good fit for us and I would love to see him appointed, but it will be expensive to attract him away from MK Dons. He would probably want a big upgrade in salary, and I believe we would also need to pay compensation as he is under contract. I think TS is more likely to go for someone out of work where no compensation will be needed, and where salary expectations are modest.
    Based upon what knowledge you have ?
    Exhibit A: Nigel Adkins
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I think Sandgaard juniors name should be included in the list of possibles.
    Does he have the required coaching badges? I don't think so, but not entirely sure.
    No but he’s the best footballer I’ve ever seen. Could have been pro if he’d wanted to. 
  • Options
    Quite how we are going to sign a manager with any real quality when our current head of scouting and recruitment was a travelling medical salesman less than two years ago is anyone's guess?
    Bit late to the party as usual but think the same, why would a decent quality manager want to come to a club where the owner/CEO is based in the States with no experience of running a football club but won't employ or listen to experienced football people & our recruitment boffin is his son who again has no experience in football other than having a hard shot. Gallen appears to have taken a back seat as negotiator. It's a recipe for disaster & we'll end up with someone simply happy to take a wage & eventual pay off.
    What evidence is there you can share that Gallen has taken a back seat in negotiating? That’s his strong point according to the owner. Still crack on with the endless stream of negativity 
    I think you may have misinterpreted my post (or my bad English). When I said taken a back seat I meant from recruitment & was now seen more as just the negotiator. Again my opinion, no factual evidence.
  • Options
    regardless of his age, Charlton connections, current club or hair colour and hope the package you offer makes him want to join us.
    So, you’re saying the next manager has to have hair???
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Personally, and I have to be honest, if we win and the football is terrible, I don't really care. Obviously, the football was generally terrible last season and we didn't win enough but it is the not winning enough which bothers me. 
    I think the manner of losing was an issue. Those losses we went down with a wimper and rolled over for teams. We wont win every game & play well but when we do lose, you want to at least see that the effort was there.
    I want to see some controlled possession with progressive passing and, on a good day, maybe some 1 touch stuff on occasion. Don't say you can't expect that in League One because I saw our opponents seem to do it every other week!
    It's hard to imagine us playing that stuff when Stockley is the focal point of our team
    It is but if we played it into his feet rather than pumping it in the general direction of his head he’d look better for it.
    Is Stockley good enough with his feet though? I’m not sure, Aneke is that kind of player but don’t think stockley is good enough to link play with his feet. 

I think Stockley is a top player for this level but only if you play to his strengths. I think the way to play better football that includes stockley is if he is not really involved in the build up, he can be an emergency out ball if needed. And the style should be trying to work the ball wide to put crosses in for him. Stockley also doesn’t really fit the high pressing side that TS wants, think he was a Bowyer signing and we only made it permanent because he did so well last year 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we need to always remember the hours we were away from extinction. Then 'enter sandman' and we not only remained in existence but brought quality in many. areas of the club. Developing players, improving the excellent youth set up and infrastructure of the club. It's on a sound footing. Sandman didn't come in with a sledgehammer firing everyone. He gave current incumbent Lee Bowyer the benefit of the doubt (good decision). Didn't stand in his way (good decision) when he went to Brum. Hired what seemed a safe and experienced and proven pair of hands in Smiley Nige (good decision after the limited tactics of Bowyer). Acted to stop the decline and fired him (another good decision). Gave the untried JJ his first taste of management and didn't hurry to give him a contract but gave him a prolonged period of caretaker boss (another good decision) His first glaringly poor decision I feel was bowing to the unrelenting clamour from 'experts' aka fans! and gave him the job permanently. First whiff of pressure and the whole thing nose-dived. And saying JJ was part of his plans for next season only weeks ago (wrong decision) He owns the club. And while he can't simply do as he wants a la Roland Shathouse of yesteryear. He CAN hire and fire who he deems is right or not right for the progress of the club. And overall, silly comments aside, I think he has done a lot right. And firing JJ was also the right decision. He was righting the wrong decision of hiring him on a permanent in the first place. 

I am confident that he will hire THE RIGHT guy for this time. He has seen enough to know that tired old managers well past their best are no good. And untried glorified team coaches are not suitable either. And if he IS the RIGHT guy, he will get this club up in a year. I'd lose the whole frontline and bring in quality. So many games last season were lost not simply by JJ ineptitude but misfiring strikers. Missington particularly. But Stuckley too. 

Would really like to see Warburton. Definitely. would NOT want Hasselblad, Hughton, Evans or Ferguson take the reigns. 

Sorry to perhaps sound picky but lets keep things in perspective.  We may have been heading towards Administration but 'extinction'. Not in 'existence'.  Likely not.  In fact it might have forced Roland's hand on the assets. 

However I was as pleased as the next fan that TS dug us out of the grip of Farnell etc.     
  • Options
    Personally, and I have to be honest, if we win and the football is terrible, I don't really care. Obviously, the football was generally terrible last season and we didn't win enough but it is the not winning enough which bothers me. 
    I think the manner of losing was an issue. Those losses we went down with a wimper and rolled over for teams. We wont win every game & play well but when we do lose, you want to at least see that the effort was there.
    The manager can only do so much or accept part of the blame for that though.  People on the pitch have got to do their jobs, and in our case the repetitive errors, lack of positional sense and indifference was on them imho.  
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    What evidence is there you can share that Gallen has taken a back seat in negotiating? That’s his strong point according to the owner. Still crack on with the endless stream of negativity 
    I think you may have misinterpreted my post (or my bad English). When I said taken a back seat I meant from recruitment & was now seen more as just the negotiator. Again my opinion, no factual evidence.
    charltonbob you mispoke.
    "You said Gallen appears to have taken a back seat as negotiator".
    Now you say you meant a back seat from recruitment.
    Gallen is THE negotiator and also involved in the recruitment.
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    The manager can only do so much or accept part of the blame for that though.  People on the pitch have got to do their jobs, and in our case the repetitive errors, lack of positional sense and indifference was on them imho.  
    Oh I agree to a point but then its the manager/coaches job to iron this out. Not excusing the players though as they were poor majority of the season. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    I want to see some controlled possession with progressive passing and, on a good day, maybe some 1 touch stuff on occasion. Don't say you can't expect that in League One because I saw our opponents seem to do it every other week!
    It's hard to imagine us playing that stuff when Stockley is the focal point of our team
    It is but if we played it into his feet rather than pumping it in the general direction of his head he’d look better for it.
    I honestly think he'd look worse for it, since it would be playing into one of his biggest weaknesses.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ultimately, I just want our new manager sorted sooner rather than later, and I would hope that timeliness of this appointment is playing into TS' thoughts about getting someone in place. Appreciate that we don't want to rush in to this, but time is against us - under NA, we had pre-season fixtures in early July and that is not far away. It's going to be delicate, but I can't imagine people like, for example - Manning, are going to be in any hurry to get on the phone in any good time if they have remaining games/playoffs/commitments. I kinda wish, like others have said, that TS had made this decision to bin JJ earlier, but I suspect he had this in his head and wanted to keep the players honest for the remaining games.

NA had a transfer window and full pre-season and still balls'd it up - new guy coming in will have less time for prep and players, plus added pressure of playoff minimum, expectation of high press football and probably a modest (albeit higher than most in L1) budget. It sounds less and less appealing for many managers, the more I think about it.
  • Options
    So which bucket does he fit in, a young coach or experienced manager?..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    So which bucket does he fit in, a young coach or experienced manager?..
    Experienced young ex Charlton 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This is very interesting 

https://youtu.be/QuJWqi_qwpU
    Good video that, have seen this guy talking before and he seems very good and level headed no matter what club he's talking about. A good insight there.
  • Options
    I rate Matt Taylor an Exeter play an expansive attacking game which fits with the direction TS wants to go in.

Whenever Taylor is interviewed he speaks well and seems to have his head screwed on.

I suspect it might be tricky to get him as he we will probably want to "finish" what he has started with Exeter.
  • Options
    I rate Matt Taylor an Exeter play an expansive attacking game which fits with the direction TS wants to go in.

Whenever Taylor is interviewed he speaks well and seems to have his head screwed on.

I suspect it might be tricky to get him as he we will probably want to "finish" what he has started with Exeter.
    No disrespect to Exeter but could argue he has finished what he's started.

League One is really their ceiling level - He's done a great job getting them back at this level.

But think if he stays, the best he can do with them is mid-table
  • Options
    How about Gary Cahill as player coach with an experienced No 2, seemed to work in the past 
  • Options
    barstool said:
    How about Gary Cahill as player coach with an experienced No 2, seemed to work in the past 
    Nah he's played for Palace to recently - Cant trust him.
  • Options
    Matt Taylor deserves credit for what he’s done at Exeter and it will be interesting to see how he does there next season.  If he stays

on a separate note I played golf with him just before he left us and he was one of the nicest blokes I’ve met!  He actually spoke to us as opposed to just standard cliched answers.  He was open and honest which we’d all agree we want in a manager.  Who knows if he’s got the necessary steel in him to manage some of the bigger characters we have in comparison to Exeter???

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Matt Taylor deserves credit for what he’s done at Exeter and it will be interesting to see how he does there next season.  If he stays

on a separate note I played golf with him just before he left us and he was one of the nicest blokes I’ve met!  He actually spoke to us as opposed to just standard cliched answers.  He was open and honest which we’d all agree we want in a manager.  Who knows if he’s got the necessary steel in him to manage some of the bigger characters we have in comparison to Exeter???

He should be the new Dr Who