Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Mark Bonner.

Discuss.
    On 10 May 2021, Bonner signed a new 3-year contract with the club.

So TS would have to pay out to get him. Doesn’t rule MB out I guess 
  • Options
    Mark Bonner.

Discuss.
    Don’t know much about Bonner but appears to have done a pretty good job. One promotion and kept them up in a division they were expected to struggle in. I can see why he might be of interest after the Pell appointment today. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    paulfox said:
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:
    I rate Matt Taylor an Exeter play an expansive attacking game which fits with the direction TS wants to go in.

Whenever Taylor is interviewed he speaks well and seems to have his head screwed on.

I suspect it might be tricky to get him as he we will probably want to "finish" what he has started with Exeter.
    No disrespect to Exeter but could argue he has finished what he's started.

League One is really their ceiling level - He's done a great job getting them back at this level.

But think if he stays, the best he can do with them is mid-table
    I’d say that’s completely disrespectful, are you saying Exeter can’t go up any further? If so why on earth not?, I’m afraid you maybe need to take off the rose tinted glasses where we are concerned. There could be an argument that they are on the way up passing us on the way down.🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m not an Exeter fan for the record!!😂. Just not sure of our attraction level to people outside of Charlton.
    They've never been higher than League 1 and have average attendences below 5,000 most seasons. Lovely club I'm sure but if you're an ambitious manager, Charlton are a much more attractive proposition. 
    And I’m sure you would have been saying the same about Bournemouth for example a while back.  Too much living in the past I’m afraid, as proud as I am of our past, it has to be met with some realism that maybe we are not what we once were. 
    Bournemouth had a rich ambitious owner funding them. There will be plenty of examples of managers leaving smaller League 1 clubs for the bigger clubs in the division, regardless of whether that bigger club finished mid table. Managers think they’ll be the one to turn them around. And if the club has been a basket case in recent seasons then they have an ideal excuse if it doesn’t happen.
    My original point was, it’s unfair to disregard Exeter from progressing up the ladder because they are a small club, we were not loaded when we went up with curbs and regarded as not being that large a club. Just because we have had relative success quite a while ago now, we should not expect a lower league manager to think it’s a great upward progression. The loling on here because someone doesn’t agree is becoming fucking rediculous, disagreeing is fine, but if it makes people feel better the fill ya boots.🤣
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Scoham said:
    paulfox said:
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:
    I rate Matt Taylor an Exeter play an expansive attacking game which fits with the direction TS wants to go in.

Whenever Taylor is interviewed he speaks well and seems to have his head screwed on.

I suspect it might be tricky to get him as he we will probably want to "finish" what he has started with Exeter.

League One is really their ceiling level - He's done a great job getting them back at this level.

I’d say that’s completely disrespectful, are you saying Exeter can’t go up any further? If so why on earth not?, I’m afraid you maybe need to take off the rose tinted glasses where we are concerned. There could be an argument that they are on the way up passing us on the way down.🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m not an Exeter fan for the record!!😂. Just not sure of our attraction level to people outside of Charlton.
    They've never been higher than League 1 and have average attendences below 5,000 most seasons. Lovely club I'm sure but if you're an ambitious manager, Charlton are a much more attractive proposition. 
    And I’m sure you would have been saying the same about Bournemouth for example a while back.  Too much living in the past I’m afraid, as proud as I am of our past, it has to be met with some realism that maybe we are not what we once were. 
    Bournemouth had a rich ambitious owner funding them. There will be plenty of examples of managers leaving smaller League 1 clubs for the bigger clubs in the division, regardless of whether that bigger club finished mid table. Managers think they’ll be the one to turn them around. And if the club has been a basket case in recent seasons then they have an ideal excuse if it doesn’t happen.
    My original point was, it’s unfair to disregard Exeter from progressing up the ladder because they are a small club, we were not loaded when we went up with curbs and regarded as not being that large a club. Just because we have had relative success quite a while ago now, we should not expect a lower league manager to think it’s a great upward progression. The loling on here because someone doesn’t agree is becoming fucking rediculous, disagreeing is fine, but if it makes people feel better the fill ya boots.🤣
    So, genuinely you do not believe leaving Exeter for Charlton would be a step up?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    after watching that clip, i want Warburton...
    I think we’re going to get him.

Ticks boxes, experience, plays attacking football, London based, out of work so easier to get.  If I had to have a punt on it.
  • Options
    Sandgaard finally reveals himself as an undercover agent for Roland and appoints Guy Luzon.
    Other than Riga he was perhaps my favourite of the worst bunch. Batshit crazy mins you 
  • Options
    Mark Bonner.

Discuss.
    Hard one, that.
  • Options
    Mark Bonner.

Discuss.
    Hard one, that.
    Could face some stiff competition for him. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Scoham said:
    paulfox said:
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:

So, genuinely you do not believe leaving Exeter for Charlton would be a step up?
    I’ve not once said that, simply playing devils advocate,I’m saying it’s not as much as a big pull as it once may have been, there are a lot of people on here telling us TS doesn’t know what he’s doing, so based on that why would someone want to leave the stability of an improving side and the potential of another,  good season off the back of promotion that isn’t unusual to see. I really doesn’t matter what I believe the proof will be in the pudding next season, however you are welcome to think,what ever I believe to suit your narrative. It doesn’t matter how big a club we think we may be if we keep losing 20 odd games in league 1. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

What rose tinted glasses... I didnt even mention us in that post? 

I'm just basing my opinion on what Exeter have achieved in the past, combined with the fact they're fan owned - If they can get promoted to the Championship then they'll have done an excellent job, but I'd be surprised if they achieved it.
    You were eluding to the fact as I read it, that a move to us would be a step up, I was merely playing devils advocate and saying that maybe we see ourselves above others unnecessarily now.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exeter City have never been higher than L1/D3 in their history.
    They have spent the vast majority of their history in L2.
    Charlton have played in The Premier League and D1 and have won the FA Cup.
    Charlton have never played in L2.
    Moving to Charlton would obviously be a step up, end of story, unless you think Exeter are on a par with Charlton, Sunderland, Sheff W, Ipswich, Portsmouth etc.
    They are temporarily in the same division, nothing more and nothing less.
    You may as well say Brentford to Liverpool or Man U wouldn't be a step up.
    Brentford to Man U wouldn’t be a step up, it’s career suicide with those players.  I’d stay in west london!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

What rose tinted glasses... I didnt even mention us in that post? 

I'm just basing my opinion on what Exeter have achieved in the past, combined with the fact they're fan owned - If they can get promoted to the Championship then they'll have done an excellent job, but I'd be surprised if they achieved it.
    You were eluding to the fact as I read it, that a move to us would be a step up, I was merely playing devils advocate and saying that maybe we see ourselves above others unnecessarily now.

Ok what’s your point, twice I’ve said I was playing devils advocate maybe you chose not to see that.covered I couldn’t give flying f:-k if you agree or not, it’s a discussion, if you find satisfaction in just digging people out then you enjoy yourself on my behalf. We probably won’t even see Taylor, until his team are pulling our pants down anyway. So all this bollox would have been for nothing anyway.👍
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more I want Michael Beale.
  • Options
    Really can't see Warburton coming.
    From what I've seen his stock is still pretty high and many think he was harshly treated by QPR.

No way he'd come to this nut house.
  • Options
    Quite how we are going to sign a manager with any real quality when our current head of scouting and recruitment was a travelling medical salesman less than two years ago is anyone's guess?
    Bit late to the party as usual but think the same, why would a decent quality manager want to come to a club where the owner/CEO is based in the States with no experience of running a football club but won't employ or listen to experienced football people & our recruitment boffin is his son who again has no experience in football other than having a hard shot. Gallen appears to have taken a back seat as negotiator. It's a recipe for disaster & we'll end up with someone simply happy to take a wage & eventual pay off.
    What evidence is there you can share that Gallen has taken a back seat in negotiating? That’s his strong point according to the owner. Still crack on with the endless stream of negativity 
    I think you may have misinterpreted my post (or my bad English). When I said taken a back seat I meant from recruitment & was now seen more as just the negotiator. Again my opinion, no factual evidence.
    charltonbob you mispoke.
    "You said Gallen appears to have taken a back seat as negotiator".
    Now you say you meant a back seat from recruitment.
    Gallen is THE negotiator and also involved in the recruitment.
    Yes my grammar was poor ................ much like your spelling. But this is a public forum not an examination.
    It isn't a case of "Now I say" as though I have changed my mind. I made the point that it appears sandgaard jnr is getting more involved in recruitment while Gallen has taken a step backwards & seems to be viewed as a negotiator more than anything going by quotes I've seen recently by Sandgaard Snr. It made sense to me as I rushed to post before going out, next time I'll try & take a little more care. Many apologies for confusing you.

• Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Scoham said:
    paulfox said:
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:

I’ve not once said that, simply playing devils advocate,I’m saying it’s not as much as a big pull as it once may have been, there are a lot of people on here telling us TS doesn’t know what he’s doing, so based on that why would someone want to leave the stability of an improving side and the potential of another,  good season off the back of promotion that isn’t unusual to see. I really doesn’t matter what I believe the proof will be in the pudding next season, however you are welcome to think,what ever I believe to suit your narrative. It doesn’t matter how big a club we think we may be if we keep losing 20 odd games in league 1. 
    Like Lavelle did you mean?
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more I want Michael Beale.

Don't think he's coming.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh dear,  it's gonna drag on ain't it?

Same old same old Charlton!
  • Options
    Really can't see Warburton coming.
    From what I've seen his stock is still pretty high and many think he was harshly treated by QPR.

No way he'd come to this nut house.
    You're persistent, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Scoham said:
    paulfox said:
    Jints said:
    paulfox said:

Like Lavelle did  .
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    paulfox said:

He’ll probably join us to cut down on the travelling. 
    Taylor’s family are based in the North West
    Not for long ;-)

[PS ;-) doesn’t me I know something, sadly.]

Exter must cover more miles on their travels than practically any other club I’m guessing. Apart from Torquay maybe? 
    Plymouth?
    Yes. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Matt Taylor deserves credit for what he’s done at Exeter and it will be interesting to see how he does there next season.  If he stays

on a separate note I played golf with him just before he left us and he was one of the nicest blokes I’ve met!  He actually spoke to us as opposed to just standard cliched answers.  He was open and honest which we’d all agree we want in a manager.  Who knows if he’s got the necessary steel in him to manage some of the bigger characters we have in comparison to Exeter???

He should be the new Dr Who
    Funny

but he doesn’t tick enough boxes 
    Is that right?
  • Options
    This utopian vision that is taking hold won’t have any basis in reality. 

Fans are fickle. Can you imagine the Covered End if we were still nowhere near getting out of this league in April 2025?
    Yeah... it be empty 
  • Options

No it won’t .. think by end of next week we will have a new manager 
  • Options

No it won’t .. think by end of next week we will have a new manager 
    That's a guarantee  that it will take ages...
  • Options
    I want some more Exeter discussion.