Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Jacko 4/6 favourite for the Wimbledon job.

Not sure if this is insider information or just someone having £50 on JJ getting the job.

Some dude said JJ had terrible results when picking the team ? But his record in his two spells when picking the team was 17 wins and 13 losses and League 2 will be a great place for JJ to prove 3-5-2 can be successful but maybe try to make the simple switch to 5-3-2 for game management purposes and have natural wing backs on at least one side if not both !

I'm convinced JJ will have success but obviously he made some mistakes in his 30 League games in charge. 

but he also improved 3 of the success stories this season:
    Dobson, Corey Blackett-Taylor, and Clare who found another position he can perform in.

We need players and a manager that can hit the ground running and the last day of the August window just won't work with incoming players. We scored our first goal from open play in our last game of August.

Can we stop ground hog day.

Please... stop... saying Clare was a great centre back. He was responsible for loads of conceded goals. He looked flashy taking the ball out of defence under zero pressure. That doesn't make him a great defender.

Thank you.
    Clare had a wonderful season and made that position his own lost count of last ditch tackles and blocks he made … he deserved to be rewarded in the POTY vote 
    Doesn’t mean he’s a great centre half just better than all the other dross we had.
  • It’s the weekend, bar deadline day, nothing ever happens or gets announced on the weekend, why are we worrying this morning?
  • Rossman92 said:
    It’s the weekend, bar deadline day, nothing ever happens or gets announced on the weekend, why are we worrying this morning?
    I’m not. It’s gone 2 in the afternoon here
  • edited May 2022
    Desire and putting in extra work on the training ground. My point is *Morgan can improve his overall game but my doubts are as much on his motivation. IF would be the correct word not WHEN as like many Charlton players they go from the sublime to the ridiculous: Sarr and Famewo in the past spring to mind. 

I'm disappointed in Albie's progress considering an early game in the championship where he passed and linked well with the better player around him that day: Cullen, Bielik, Williams etc.

I listened to Walker on radio five live last night and it was a great insight into the fact that not only are City the most skilled team along with Liverpool but the training is so intense and you are not allowed a bad training  session. The only poor trainer at Man City was Aguero who came alive on match days and that's why they have built a statue in his honour.

I know Man city play on a different planet but every team including Cafc and the step 4 and 5 teams and the many youth academy matches I watch have to continue to strive as you are only as good as your last match  in this social media society.

Maybe not friendly guys like Chris,Nigel or Johnnie next but a manager that cajoles but keeps some distant from the players on a social level and let  the bonding which is a vital component of team sport be taken by the Coaches.

* Every player at Charlton should strive to improve for Cafc sake and their own careers sake.
    I've mentioned this before, Shearer commented on the difference between Man U & City after the derby earlier this season. United defenders would stand off & let city attack them or at best trot towards them. City would sprint towards the man in possession, immediately putting him under pressure & this is throughout the team, 100% effort. He highlighted De Bruyne with 2 minutes left & City a comfortable 2-0 up, lose the ball near the Utd penalty area & chase back half the length of the pitch to get a tackle in.  

Not sure if this is insider information or just someone having £50 on JJ getting the job.

Some dude said JJ had terrible results when picking the team ? But his record in his two spells when picking the team was 17 wins and 13 losses and League 2 will be a great place for JJ to prove 3-5-2 can be successful but maybe try to make the simple switch to 5-3-2 for game management purposes and have natural wing backs on at least one side if not both !

I'm convinced JJ will have success but obviously he made some mistakes in his 30 League games in charge. 

Dobson, Corey Blackett-Taylor, and Clare who found another position he can perform in.

We need players and a manager that can hit the ground running and the last day of the August window just won't work with incoming players. We scored our first goal from open play in our last game of August.

Please... stop... saying Clare was a great centre back. He was responsible for loads of conceded goals. He looked flashy taking the ball out of defence under zero pressure. That doesn't make him a great defender.

Thank you.
    Clare had a wonderful season and made that position his own lost count of last ditch tackles and blocks he made … he deserved to be rewarded in the POTY vote 
    He went on a 5 game run where he was responsible for a goal a game. Not a natural defender.
  • So who was responsible for all the other goals then ? Talk us through the four at Ipswich
  • paulg1947 said:
    So who was responsible for all the other goals then ? Talk us through the four at Ipswich
    Clare wasn't playing against Ipswich mate
  • Desire and putting in extra work on the training ground. My point is *Morgan can improve his overall game but my doubts are as much on his motivation. IF would be the correct word not WHEN as like many Charlton players they go from the sublime to the ridiculous: Sarr and Famewo in the past spring to mind. 

I'm disappointed in Albie's progress considering an early game in the championship where he passed and linked well with the better player around him that day: Cullen, Bielik, Williams etc.

I listened to Walker on radio five live last night and it was a great insight into the fact that not only are City the most skilled team along with Liverpool but the training is so intense and you are not allowed a bad training  session. The only poor trainer at Man City was Aguero who came alive on match days and that's why they have built a statue in his honour.

I know Man city play on a different planet but every team including Cafc and the step 4 and 5 teams and the many youth academy matches I watch have to continue to strive as you are only as good as your last match  in this social media society.

Maybe not friendly guys like Chris,Nigel or Johnnie next but a manager that cajoles but keeps some distant from the players on a social level and let  the bonding which is a vital component of team sport be taken by the Coaches.

* Every player at Charlton should strive to improve for Cafc sake and their own careers sake.
    I've mentioned this before, Shearer commented on the difference between Man U & City after the derby earlier this season. United defenders would stand off & let city attack them or at best trot towards them. City would sprint towards the man in possession, immediately putting him under pressure & this is throughout the team, 100% effort. He highlighted De Bruyne with 2 minutes left & City a comfortable 2-0 up, lose the ball near the Utd penalty area & chase back half the length of the pitch to get a tackle in.  
    That's the difference between trying and not trying.  A professional footballer can run around a lot for 90 minutes without really trying.  It's those recovery runs, sprinting that little bit further, more often.

We have seen both this season.
  • edited May 2022
    Jacko 4/6 favourite for the Wimbledon job.

Thank you.

I didn't say Clare was a great Centre back, I said he found another position he can perform in ? Without injuries to our 3CB it would've been Gunter and Pearce so well done Sean.
    He had good games at RCB but with some mistakes obviously as defenders need to play as a unit.

In fact i have been saying Clare would make a good wingback in the 3-5-2 or attacking fullback in a 4 at this level as he has got pace and stamina. Suggested this to a Charlton player on Bank holiday Monday ( a player who will be here next season) and he agreed that if Cafc could keep our CB fit then having the pace of Sean Clare would be an asset as he didn't think Matthews was staying. The announcement on JJ and the guys being released came after our chat.
  • Sponsored links:

Thank you.

I didn't say Clare was a great Centre back, I said he found another position he can perform in ? Without injuries to our 3CB it would've been Gunter and Pearce so well done Sean.
    He had good games at RCB but with some mistakes obviously as defenders need to play as a unit.

In fact i have been saying Clare would make a good wingback in the 3-5-3 or attacking fullback in a 4 at this level as he has got pace and stamina. Suggested this to a Charlton player on Bank holiday Monday ( a player who will be here next season) and he agreed that if Cafc could keep our CB fit then having the pace of Sean Clare would be an asset as he didn't think Matthews was staying. The announcement on JJ and the guys being released came after our chat.
    Personally thought Clare was our most consistent defender this season.
    I would go along with that - which is pretty shameful on the “proper” central defenders. 
  • At the risk of upsetting the science bods on CL (hello Shooters) I think this black box malarky is overblown. Yes it has its place but the truly great managers, such as Bob Paisley, or player pickers like Peter Taylor used their outstanding intuition, or football insight to 'spot' a player. Think of  John Macgovern who helped Nottingham Forest win the European cup twice! I doubt if any other top club would have bought him but somehow Taylor and Brian Clough understood that he could 'read' a game better than most. 
  • Yeah who needs a black box they should just consult all the experts on here 

Thank you.

In fact i have been saying Clare would make a good wingback in the 3-5-3 or attacking fullback in a 4 at this level as he has got pace and stamina. Suggested this to a Charlton player on Bank holiday Monday ( a player who will be here next season) and he agreed that if Cafc could keep our CB fit then having the pace of Sean Clare would be an asset as he didn't think Matthews was staying. The announcement on JJ and the guys being released came after our chat.
    Personally thought Clare was our most consistent defender this season.

We were lucky to have Sean Clare to step in as a RCB and he was the most consistent defender over the season. Not a natural CB but is decent in the air and has pace. He loves to charge forward so will be interesting how the new manager uses him.
  • So anyway I met Martin Sandgaard today.

Said they've been very busy with manager interviews.

Like a good journalist I had a  tricky follow up question  ready and asked "British or Foreign" to which he replied "it will be a person". 

So there's some important inside info for you.

1. Person doesn't rule out a woman so stick £5 on my half-sister (it's a long story) Emma Hayes.

2. He's learning to keep his mouth zipped. Someone let Conor know.
    Wasn’t MS there when TS did his tour of the Museum? I have a vague feeling he was, but could well be wrong. 
    Good to hear the new manager will be a person. 
  • Don't think he was
  • edited May 2022
    So anyway I met Martin Sandgaard today.

Like a good journalist I had a  tricky follow up question  ready and asked "British or Foreign" to which he replied "it will be a person". 

1. Person doesn't rule out a woman so stick £5 on my half-sister (it's a long story) Emma Hayes.

Maybe you should have put it to him that a lot of people on CL think he and his dad are chancers and don’t know what they are doing, and asked for a reply. Not my personal view but a real answer may burst a few bubbles.😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn't the problem here that we have a number of Sandgaards people who are self-identifying as something that they are clearly not ... but, hey, who are you to deny someone that right?

If someone wants to self-identify as a knowledgeable football expert (with or without a hard shot), then that's cool.  This is the modern World, Grandad.
  • paulfox said:

Maybe you should have put it to him that a lot of people on CL think he and his dad are chancers and don’t what they are doing, and asked for a reply. Not my personal view but a real answer may burst a few bubbles.😂
    And maybe it's easy to suggest what other people should do or say from behind a keyboard 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • paulfox said:

Maybe you should have put it to him that a lot of people on CL think he and his dad are chancers and don’t what they are doing, and asked for a reply. Not my personal view but a real answer may burst a few bubbles.😂
    And maybe it's easy to suggest what other people should do or say from behind a keyboard 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Absolutely, but that’s not to say it wouldn’t be a relevant question. So maybe not quite so good journalism after all.😜😂👍
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Absolutely, but that’s not to say it wouldn’t be a relevant question. So maybe not quite so good journalism after all.😜😂👍
    Joke  head  over head your

• paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Not at all, don’t take things so seriously, it was a bit of sarcastic banter, I assumed would be understood.🙄
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Not at all, don’t take things so seriously, it was a bit of sarcastic banter, I assumed would be understood.🙄
    Whooooosh
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Whooooosh
    Ok, don’t really know what that means, I guess it’s not a good thing. Well done I’m assuming you’ve done something good.😂👍
  • Just wondering how many managers we’ve interviewed for the gig so far, & will they be done in person , or on zoom?

Also wonder if any of them have turned us down due to money / not having as much control over footballing stuff as they’d like, at what point do we start to get a bit concerned and how long should this process take?
    Everyone knows Tommy boy does all of his hiring and firing over the phone.