Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    I was told this information in late 2021, I was told not to keep it to myself which I did do.

But now I will share it on here.

I know someone who works for the club in the medical setup.

This person told me in December 2021, that the atmosphere in the dressing room at that time was awful, almost toxic.

Some of the first team squad were barely speaking to each other.
    And Jackson had all but lost the changing room.

The reason behind this unrest was Covid.. 

Some senior players (I don’t know names or numbers) but certainly two, possibly more players were committed Anti Vaxers.

Other players felt unhappy to mix with anyone who refused to be vaccinated. This divided the squad and hence caused bad feeling.

Because of this, some players shunned the Christmas party.
    I also understand that some people who did attend the Christmas party then tested positive for Covid days after attending the party.
    Jackson being one of those.

This caused further bad feeling and unrest.

I don’t know any more, but I will speculate and say that this may well be part of the reason we had such a bad January, and then struggled for the remainder of the season.

I hope this is true.  Because it would explain a lot.  And also give us a bit of hope that the agitators are gone and we can move forward.
    Gilbey was very ill with Covid . Fraser caught it almost as soon as he arrived. He is still suffering  the effects.

I wonder if Gilbey was an anti vaxer .

Anti vaccination is stupid. When I was 6 I caught polio. I ended up in hospital where a new vaccination was just available.  It was administered into my back in several places.

It seemed to work as I made a good recovery. 

In the hospital room next to mine was a youngish man in an iron lung unit. I could  see him through  the window. He had been in the RAF  from early in the war. There was no vaccination when he fell ill.

It is stupid to risk serous illness for the sake of vaccine protection . 

I can easily see how devicive such an attitude would be in these circumstances. 

He booked to get vaccinated, but then misplaced the bit of paper he wrote his appointment time on. He realized late what had happened and ran really hard to get there but arrived just too late.
  • edited May 2022
    I was told this information in late 2021, I was told not to keep it to myself which I did do.

But now I will share it on here.

I know someone who works for the club in the medical setup.

This person told me in December 2021, that the atmosphere in the dressing room at that time was awful, almost toxic.

Some of the first team squad were barely speaking to each other.
    And Jackson had all but lost the changing room.

The reason behind this unrest was Covid.. 

Some senior players (I don’t know names or numbers) but certainly two, possibly more players were committed Anti Vaxers.

Other players felt unhappy to mix with anyone who refused to be vaccinated. This divided the squad and hence caused bad feeling.

Because of this, some players shunned the Christmas party.
    I also understand that some people who did attend the Christmas party then tested positive for Covid days after attending the party.
    Jackson being one of those.

This caused further bad feeling and unrest.

I don’t know any more, but I will speculate and say that this may well be part of the reason we had such a bad January, and then struggled for the remainder of the season.

I hope this is true.  Because it would explain a lot.  And also give us a bit of hope that the agitators are gone and we can move forward.
    Gilbey was very ill with Covid . Fraser caught it almost as soon as he arrived. He is still suffering  the effects.

I wonder if Gilbey was an anti vaxer .

Anti vaccination is stupid. When I was 6 I caught polio. I ended up in hospital where a new vaccination was just available.  It was administered into my back in several places.

It seemed to work as I made a good recovery. 

In the hospital room next to mine was a youngish man in an iron lung unit. I could  see him through  the window. He had been in the RAF  from early in the war. There was no vaccination when he fell ill.

It is stupid to risk serous illness for the sake of vaccine protection . 

I can easily see how devicive such an attitude would be in these circumstances. 

He booked to get vaccinated, but then misplaced the bit of paper he he wrote his appointment time on. He realized late what had happened and ran really hard to get there but arrived just too late.
    When they didn’t let him in, he pulled the nurses blouse twice inside 5 mins 
  • Another tenner from @Addick Addict;)
  • Another tenner from @Addick Addict;)

Not me - he's still 9/2 with William Hill anyway
  • edited May 2022
    There's obviously been a conversation... which is more than you can say for any other candidate we're aware of. Whether that conversation will lead anywhere is another question.

Unless you're in the Sandgaard or Taylor families, we're all in the dark in reality.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Matt Taylor odds now down to 2/1… promising 
    Means nothing … Remember Adkins was not even in the betting and got the job 
  • I was thinking what’s the absurd but slightly believable candidate you could make a rumour about: I think Sven Goran-Eriksson
  • PWADDICK said:
    That's a pretty good post. 
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    I believe he was the clear favourite towards the end, hence there was no surprise when he was appointed
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I would be happy with Matt Taylor, although if we want a young coach/manager, who plays a variant of 3-5-2 and has not only played for the club but got promoted under Chris powell, didnt we already have one of those?
    We did but is Taylor a better coach, tactician etc?
    Taylor is different from JJ and Bowyer in that he started as a defensive coach at Exeter, then was successful as their U23 Premier League coach (probably why he gets youngsters and wants to promote them) and then stepped up to manage the first team - he's been on a six year journey in doing that. He hasn't learnt how to manage at CAFC with the influences that are prevalent here in the way that JJ did under Bowyer and Bowyer did under Robinson. The other aspect is that the voice and much of what they say is the same whether they are coach or manager. 

Taylor would come to the Club knowing about its history, its fans etc but without any pre-conceived ideas about the squad and more to the point without the players having any pre-conceived ideas about him. On a much grander scale I would liken it to Steven Gerrard taking all that he has learnt about managing at Rangers and Villa before he eventually possibly becomes Liverpool Manager. There's nothing that Gerrard doesn't know about Liverpool but they didn't want him learning his craft there. 
    I think it also has some similarities to the Powell and Bowyer appointments. Both understood the club but had spent enough time away from Charlton that they didn’t have existing relationships and ideas about staff and players. I know Bowyer was a coach under Robinson but not for long. 
    I never understand this.  

It's probably very important that people running the business side of the club understand the history so they understand why certain things work and certain things don't.  But does that really also translate to the manager of the first team?

Are we any different to any other club in the fact we have a ground, a training ground, play 11 a side football on a similar size pitch?  The fans want to win football matches, preferably with aesthetically pleasing football, and the minimum expectation is that they players look like they care and are putting in the required effort.  Doesn't that describe every club?
    I dunno, ask Curbs, Powell and Bowyer. 
    What if I asked Pardew, Reed, Jackson or Parkinson?
    Good point. While you’re there ask Riga, Luzon, Peeters, Slade, Adkins and Robinson as well. 
    Riga was a success when he didn't know the club, then when he came knowing the club he failed 
  • PWADDICK said:
    PWADDICK said:
    I believe he was the clear favourite towards the end, hence there was no surprise when he was appointed
    Are we near the end then?
  • Redrobo said:
    PWADDICK said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Are we near the end then?
    Was just making an observation 
  • Are we there yet?
  • edited May 2022
    There's obviously been a conversation... which is more than you can say for any other candidate we're aware of. Whether that conversation will lead anywhere is another question.

Unless you're in the Sandgaard or Taylor families, we're all in the dark in reality.

Not necessarily, all the tweet said was it's believed Taylor is one we're considering. 

Could be looking to start talks if others drop out, could be considering a proper offer to him, could be media bollocks to put pressure on someone else.
  • So at this stage Taylor is under consideration. No mention if the club have spoken to Exeter for permission. 

However if Taylor has got any sense he wants to speak to Jackson on how the club has been since Taylor left in 2013. 

No better person to ask than Jackson 
  • mendonca said:
    PWADDICK said:
    No he was 25/1 at the start 
  • shirty5 said:
    So at this stage Taylor is under consideration. No mention if the club have spoken to Exeter for permission. 

However if Taylor has got any sense he wants to speak to Jackson on how the club has been since Taylor left in 2013. 

He would make a small fortune writing a book about last 12 years 
  • shirty5 said:
    So at this stage Taylor is under consideration. No mention if the club have spoken to Exeter for permission. 

Good idea, ask the man that’s just been sacked,I’m sure it will be a glowing recommendation. might as well not bother and let TS be manager himself. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    paulfox said:
    shirty5 said:

Good idea, ask the man that’s just been sacked,I’m sure it will be a glowing recommendation. might as well not bother and let TS be manager himself. 
    Well they played together for 2 seasons. If you was going for a job and you knew someone who used to work there would you not ask them?

Of course you would. Anyway how do you know what Jackson would say? 
  • I would take the manager odds with a massive pinch of salt, it takes a bet of £1 to move one of these markets, it’s completely random, with next to no liquidity and set up for people to lose money
  • The precedent for Matt Taylor would be Andy Nelson, who left a smaller club (Gillingham) having just got them promoted from the 4th tier in 1974 to rescue us from our languishing in the old 3rd division. It worked, for a few years anyway. But, since then any real success has come via those in their first full managerial roles: Bailey, Lawrence, Curbishley, Powell & Bowyer. Others with extensive "proven track records" have in the main been dismal failures. The choice therefore must be between Taylor & Beale?
  • edited May 2022
    shirty5 said:
    paulfox said:
    shirty5 said:

Well they played together for 2 seasons. If you was going for a job and you knew someone who used to work there would you not ask them?

I don’t have a clue to be honest, do you think JJ is likely to be full of praise? I’d have thought TS approach would be to highlight the fresh start and lessons had been learned, so make a decision on that basis.not somebody else’s word, be his own man so to speak. Just an opinion, no need to get shirty… shirty!!😜👍🤣.  I’d just like a decision soon so they can get on with it to be honest.
  • paulfox said:
    shirty5 said:
    paulfox said:
    shirty5 said:

I don’t have a clue to be honest, do you think JJ is likely to be full of praise? I’d have thought TS approach would be to highlight the fresh start and lessons had been learned, so make a decision on that basis.not somebody else’s word, be his own man so to speak. Just an opinion, no need to get shirty… shirty!!😜👍🤣.  I’d just like a decision soon so they can get on with it to be honest.
    Now now Mr Fox. I take it you know the meaning of the shirty5 name on here then? 
  • shirty5 said:
    paulfox said:
    shirty5 said:
    paulfox said:
    shirty5 said:

Now now Mr Fox. I take it you know the meaning of the shirty5 name on here then? 
    No not really, happy to be educated. I was just being light hearted, saw the opportunity so took it.🤣
  • shirty5 said:
    mendonca said:
    PWADDICK said:
    To be honest the toothed fairy and Easter bunny are only 33s.  You can still get 25s on Jackson and the new Watford gaffa!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    mendonca said:
    PWADDICK said:
    To be honest the toothed fairy and Easter bunny are only 33s.  You can still get 25s on Jackson and the new Watford gaffa!
    Not denying that, however I was correcting Ronnie Moore’s claim re Adkins from March 2021
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I would be happy with Matt Taylor, although if we want a young coach/manager, who plays a variant of 3-5-2 and has not only played for the club but got promoted under Chris powell, didnt we already have one of those?
    We did but is Taylor a better coach, tactician etc?
    Taylor is different from JJ and Bowyer in that he started as a defensive coach at Exeter, then was successful as their U23 Premier League coach (probably why he gets youngsters and wants to promote them) and then stepped up to manage the first team - he's been on a six year journey in doing that. He hasn't learnt how to manage at CAFC with the influences that are prevalent here in the way that JJ did under Bowyer and Bowyer did under Robinson. The other aspect is that the voice and much of what they say is the same whether they are coach or manager. 

Taylor would come to the Club knowing about its history, its fans etc but without any pre-conceived ideas about the squad and more to the point without the players having any pre-conceived ideas about him. On a much grander scale I would liken it to Steven Gerrard taking all that he has learnt about managing at Rangers and Villa before he eventually possibly becomes Liverpool Manager. There's nothing that Gerrard doesn't know about Liverpool but they didn't want him learning his craft there. 
    I think it also has some similarities to the Powell and Bowyer appointments. Both understood the club but had spent enough time away from Charlton that they didn’t have existing relationships and ideas about staff and players. I know Bowyer was a coach under Robinson but not for long. 
    I never understand this.  

It's probably very important that people running the business side of the club understand the history so they understand why certain things work and certain things don't.  But does that really also translate to the manager of the first team?

Are we any different to any other club in the fact we have a ground, a training ground, play 11 a side football on a similar size pitch?  The fans want to win football matches, preferably with aesthetically pleasing football, and the minimum expectation is that they players look like they care and are putting in the required effort.  Doesn't that describe every club?

Agreed, I always find it hilarious when managers do the " The one thing the Cambridge fans demand is hard work and fighting for the shirt" as if that was unique, and Peterborough fans were happy to see lazy, half arsed players!
    It's insulting as well.  Powell was successful because he didn't need a sat nav to find his way to the training ground and knew Chris Parkes.