Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Exeter fans comments saying TS appears to be a "chancer"

They're definitely not grudging him a move to Charlton if he comes though. Fair play to them 
    Exeter fans also talking about a double promotion 😂
  • seth plum said:
    There is a link between Matt Taylor and Ged Roddy.
    Team Bath? 
  • edited May 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Re Matt Taylor -
    Exeter are a lower L1/top L2 team.
    The fact that it took Taylor 4 years to get Exeter promoted in 2nd place, isn't a massive plus for me.
    The fact that he's probably a really nice bloke, isn't a massive plus for me, so was JJ.
    The fact that he's not managed above L2 is a negative for me.
    The fact that he switched from goalie to outfield at age 23, doesn't really clinch it for me that he's a wonderfully versatile manager/coach. To be blunt, it is not relevant.

I'm not unhappy if it's Taylor, but I know the likes of Warburton have the better CV.
    May not be logical but I’m more excited by Taylor for some reason. Perhaps because Warburton has struggled (very) recently, whereas Taylor sounds like a young manager on the way up.
    I think I’d be happy with either. 

Warburton took QPR from lower mid table to 3rd by Xmas.
    He couldn't maintain it, when he lost half the team to injuries.
    Was it that many injuries, I didn’t realise. I just knew he was on his sixth choice keeper or something. 
    Ok, so either sound good, but Taylor is arguably a slightly bigger gamble (but more likely to be happy to join us).
  • Richard J said:
    seth plum said:
    There is a link between Matt Taylor and Ged Roddy.
    Team Bath? 
    Yeah.
    It looks like Matt Taylor got his degree at Bath.
    Taylor certainly played representative University football, as well as football at all sorts of levels.
    Taylor is interesting in as much as he doesn’t have a conventional CV.
    Easy to like from the outside, but personally I would like the acquisition of points most of all whoever is in charge.
  • He'd be fine for me, just get it done and bring some players through the door that the nect manager actually wants. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd be more than happy with Taylor. Young ambitious manager with promotion on CV - sounds okay to me.
    My thoughts exactly, we can all over complicate the pros and cons but what you’ve said here summarises it for me.
  • Exeter under Taylor, 9th,5th,9th and then promotion. So not hugely successful bar this season.

Would rather get Warburton 
  • Just think also what it would mean to Taylor, without tooting our own horns, I would say a manager who’s been slogging it away for 4 years at that shitty ground in carrot crunching land would dream of a shot at our place.  You can see him pouring his heart and soul into it, he played the game in a similar fashion.
    Quite an arrogance about this view. Agree it’s probably a footballing step up but I wouldn’t quite put it like you have.
  • Carrots are way better than meat…just sayin’.
  • Just think also what it would mean to Taylor, without tooting our own horns, I would say a manager who’s been slogging it away for 4 years at that shitty ground in carrot crunching land would dream of a shot at our place.  You can see him pouring his heart and soul into it, he played the game in a similar fashion.
    Quite an arrogance about this view. Agree it’s probably a footballing step up but I wouldn’t quite put it like you have.
    Oh completely, but this is the place to be arrogant about us right?  And we are pretty massive in comparison to Exeter, same league or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would be happy with Matt Taylor, although if we want a young coach/manager, who plays a variant of 3-5-2 and has not only played for the club but got promoted under Chris powell, didnt we already have one of those?
  • I would be happy with Matt Taylor, although if we want a young coach/manager, who plays a variant of 3-5-2 and has not only played for the club but got promoted under Chris powell, didnt we already have one of those?
    We did but is Taylor a better coach, tactician etc?
  • Would be interested to see what Exeter's budget was like over the last 4 years compared to the rest of League 2. If they had a budget in the bottom half but consistently competed towards the top would suggest Taylor has done a really good job. By contrast if they had the biggest in the league then he hasn't performed that well.
  • Would be interested to see what Exeter's budget was like over the last 4 years compared to the rest of League 2. If they had a budget in the bottom half but consistently competed towards the top would suggest Taylor has done a really good job. By contrast if they had the biggest in the league then he hasn't performed that well.
    They had an inflated budget due to the amount of money they made selling players.  They obviously had to replace them, at some cost.

I would imagine they would be quite high on total spend but also quite low on net spend.

The consistency achieved with that player turn over is quite impressive either way.
    Oh completely, but this is the place to be arrogant about us right?  And we are pretty massive in comparison to Exeter, same league or not.
    I think the truth lies somewhere between the two views - we have the potential to be "massive" as, dare I say, a Sheffield Wednesday but the bottom line is that next season all three of the clubs will be in League 1. As they might be the season after, the season after that and the season after that.

It's a bit like saying this season we are a bigger club than Peterborough who were in the Championship this season, or Wycombe possibly next season, but the proof is actually where the clubs sit at any particular time not just based on support. As we've found in being in League 1 in six out of seven consecutive seasons we have, as much as it pains me to say, actually, become a League 1 club in the same way as Millwall are a Championship club and Palace a Premier League Club. Yet some would still blindly argue that we are bigger than both of them.
    I don’t agree that we are massive I just mean when compared to Exeter, I’m not having for a second that it isn’t a step up, I don’t think anyone in the football world would be shocked by Taylor moving to a side in the same division when making the relevant comparisons of the two clubs.  
    But not one with four years experience and a promotion under his belt.