Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• I would be happy with Matt Taylor, although if we want a young coach/manager, who plays a variant of 3-5-2 and has not only played for the club but got promoted under Chris powell, didnt we already have one of those?
    Dont think there is an issue playing 3-5-2 but under JJ it wasnt working. That doesnt mean it cant, just might need a tweak from someone more experienced to make it work.  
  • DA9 said:
    ***Warburton spotted at the Valley***

Just driving past the Valley, the clues are there if you look close enough!

A Danish one at that!
  • Scoham said:
    I would be happy with Matt Taylor, although if we want a young coach/manager, who plays a variant of 3-5-2 and has not only played for the club but got promoted under Chris powell, didnt we already have one of those?
    We did but is Taylor a better coach, tactician etc?
    Taylor is different from JJ and Bowyer in that he started as a defensive coach at Exeter, then was successful as their U23 Premier League coach (probably why he gets youngsters and wants to promote them) and then stepped up to manage the first team - he's been on a six year journey in doing that. He hasn't learnt how to manage at CAFC with the influences that are prevalent here in the way that JJ did under Bowyer and Bowyer did under Robinson. The other aspect is that the voice and much of what they say is the same whether they are coach or manager. 

Taylor would come to the Club knowing about its history, its fans etc but without any pre-conceived ideas about the squad and more to the point without the players having any pre-conceived ideas about him. On a much grander scale I would liken it to Steven Gerrard taking all that he has learnt about managing at Rangers and Villa before he eventually possibly becomes Liverpool Manager. There's nothing that Gerrard doesn't know about Liverpool but they didn't want him learning his craft there. 
  • Re Matt Taylor -
    Exeter are a lower L1/top L2 team.
    The fact that it took Taylor 4 years to get Exeter promoted in 2nd place, isn't a massive plus for me.
    The fact that he's probably a really nice bloke, isn't a massive plus for me, so was JJ.
    The fact that he's not managed above L2 is a negative for me.
    The fact that he switched from goalie to outfield at age 23, doesn't really clinch it for me that he's a wonderfully versatile manager/coach. To be blunt, it is not relevant.

I'm not unhappy if it's Taylor, but I know the likes of Warburton have the better CV.
     I dont get this -Quote-- The fact that he has not manged above L 2 is a negative for me. Since when has man mangement been comensurate with a high League.team. I doubt if the most successful managers started at Real Madrid Barcelona.Man City etc They started near the bottom in some respects, then worked ,up Like a good scout will spot potential,in a young player, before he (the player) gets a greedy agent
  • Coaching is an art. It’s not just knowing what you want to get across to the players, it’s being good at getting it across. Much like teaching. Where coaching moves that even further forward is when the coach has innovative ideas and is able to get his players to buy into his ideas and ideals. You need to add man management into the mix. The ability to blend the squad to get the best out of them. Lots of variables but it’s no coincidence that very successful coaches and football innovators are often able to reproduce their success. No idea whether Taylor fits my view or not but he’s young, on the upward curve of a career and has achieved some success. I don’t think we’ll be able to get much better at this point. 
  • Re Matt Taylor -
    The fact that it took Taylor 4 years to get Exeter promoted in 2nd place, isn't a massive plus for me.
    The fact that he's probably a really nice bloke, isn't a massive plus for me, so was JJ.
    The fact that he switched from goalie to outfield at age 23, doesn't really clinch it for me that he's a wonderfully versatile manager/coach. To be blunt, it is not relevant.

I'm not unhappy if it's Taylor, but I know the likes of Warburton have the better CV.
    You think cos it took 4 years it’s a bad thing?  I see it as a good thing, shows what a bit of faith and patience can do in the midst of modern day revolving door management.  

Also shows he improved as a manager with time in his first role.
    So Charlton fans will be happy to give Taylor 4 years to get Charlton promoted?
    Err, that is definitely not happening, in anyone's world.
    On our budget and finacial position. As frustrating as it would be,I would take 4 years
  • paulg1947 said:
    Re Matt Taylor -

You think cos it took 4 years it’s a bad thing?  I see it as a good thing, shows what a bit of faith and patience can do in the midst of modern day revolving door management.  

On our budget and finacial position. As frustrating as it would be,I would take 4 years
    If the fans could see a progression year on year in squad allied to an attractive style of football then I think most would see that something is being built and worth the wait.
  • Scoham said:
    I would be happy with Matt Taylor, although if we want a young coach/manager, who plays a variant of 3-5-2 and has not only played for the club but got promoted under Chris powell, didnt we already have one of those?
    Taylor is different from JJ and Bowyer in that he started as a defensive coach at Exeter, then was successful as their U23 Premier League coach (probably why he gets youngsters and wants to promote them) and then stepped up to manage the first team - he's been on a six year journey in doing that. He hasn't learnt how to manage at CAFC with the influences that are prevalent here in the way that JJ did under Bowyer and Bowyer did under Robinson. The other aspect is that the voice and much of what they say is the same whether they are coach or manager. 

Taylor would come to the Club knowing about its history, its fans etc but without any pre-conceived ideas about the squad and more to the point without the players having any pre-conceived ideas about him. On a much grander scale I would liken it to Steven Gerrard taking all that he has learnt about managing at Rangers and Villa before he eventually possibly becomes Liverpool Manager. There's nothing that Gerrard doesn't know about Liverpool but they didn't want him learning his craft there. 
    I think it also has some similarities to the Powell and Bowyer appointments. Both understood the club but had spent enough time away from Charlton that they didn’t have existing relationships and ideas about staff and players. I know Bowyer was a coach under Robinson but not for long. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I think it also has some similarities to the Powell and Bowyer appointments. Both understood the club but had spent enough time away from Charlton that they didn’t have existing relationships and ideas about staff and players. I know Bowyer was a coach under Robinson but not for long. 
    I never understand this.  

It's probably very important that people running the business side of the club understand the history so they understand why certain things work and certain things don't.  But does that really also translate to the manager of the first team?

Are we any different to any other club in the fact we have a ground, a training ground, play 11 a side football on a similar size pitch?  The fans want to win football matches, preferably with aesthetically pleasing football, and the minimum expectation is that they players look like they care and are putting in the required effort.  Doesn't that describe every club?
    I dunno, ask Curbs, Powell and Bowyer. 
  • paulg1947 said:
    Re Matt Taylor -

And i will be 78 then.How optimistic is that?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

It's probably very important that people running the business side of the club understand the history so they understand why certain things work and certain things don't.  But does that really also translate to the manager of the first team?

Are we any different to any other club in the fact we have a ground, a training ground, play 11 a side football on a similar size pitch?  The fans want to win football matches, preferably with aesthetically pleasing football, and the minimum expectation is that they players look like they care and are putting in the required effort.  Doesn't that describe every club?
    But there are dozens of other reasons Curbishley and Powell were successful, that haven't applied to almost any other manager we have had in the last 30 years. 

Pardew knew the club, Jackson knew the club, Les Reed knew the club.

Was it, in any way, the same club in when Bowyer came back than when left?
  • edited May 2022
    paulg1947 said:
    Re Matt Taylor -

If the fans could see a progression year on year in squad allied to an attractive style of football then I think most would see that something is being built and worth the wait.
    We've been in league one for most of the last 13 years; maybe we need to reassess where we feel we should be.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

And Jackson. 
  • Uboat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

And Jackson. 
    And Pardew
  • seth plum said:
    Carrots are way better than meat…just sayin’.

As the actress said to the bishop!!... B)

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

What if I asked Pardew, Reed, Jackson or Parkinson?
  • edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

Good point. While you’re there ask Riga, Luzon, Peeters, Slade, Adkins and Robinson as well. 
  • Uboat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

And Jackson. 
    And Les Reed
  • Sponsored links:

• We don't have to make "understanding the Club" the be all and end all. But if we were to substitute "Club" for "fans" would that change things? What sort of relationship did Pardew enjoy, given his Palace background, compared to say Steven Gerrard at Liverpool? Do we not think that a former player like Taylor, who never left anything behind when playing and who I have yet to find one of our fans who have net him say a bad thing about (check further up), means that they get that much more time by most fans? 
  • https://theathletic.com/3270961/2022/04/26/exeter-city-promoted-at-last-doing-it-our-way/

An excellent article; shame it's paywalled. I'd love for Taylor to come in. Here's the intro (and hopefully the Athletic don't clamp down on this too much cos I know they're sometimes hard on that sort of thing):

The outside of the academy building at Exeter City’s Cliff Hill training ground is the best advert for the methods behind their promotion-winning League Two campaign.

Painted in red, white and black are the giant-like faces of the successful academy graduates of seasons past — Ollie Watkins of Aston Villa and EnglandChelsea and Wales’ Ethan Ampadu, Jordan Moore-Taylor of Forest Green Rovers, Christy Pym of Peterborough United and veteran defender Dean Moxey.

Plans have been approved and funds signed off for new training facilities, costing more than £2 million, which is no bad thing given there are another 15 academy graduates on the books who have earned their place on the wall having made their senior debuts or become first-team regulars. The production line is impressive, even enviable, for a League Two club that has built a reputation on giving players a chance even when it has counted against them.

“We made certain sacrifices going into last season and in the middle of the pandemic, we felt it was the right thing to do to promote young players,” says manager Matt Taylor, who replaced Paul Tisdale in 2018. 

“We barely recruited going into last season which meant there was a big emphasis on the younger players and it could have gone two ways. We could have been in a relegation dogfight based on the squad we had and the number of young players we needed to perform. 

“But somehow, we stayed close or relatively close to the top of the table. That group of six to seven players have come into the season with 30 or 40 games under their belts, which is incredible experience. We don’t see them as young players who are inconsistent anymore. We see them as young players who know the level and have played at it before.”

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

Good point. While you’re there ask Riga, Luzon, Peeters, Slade, Adkins and Robinson as well. 
    Riga knew the club second time didn't he? Was relegated. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

Some things you can't fight whether you know the club or not. 
  • edited May 2022
    We don't have to make "understanding the Club" the be all and end all. But if we were to substitute "Club" for "fans" would that change things? What sort of relationship did Pardew enjoy, given his Palace background, compared to say Steven Gerrard at Liverpool? Do we not think that a former player like Taylor, who never left anything behind when playing and who I have yet to find one of our fans who have net him say a bad thing about (check further up), means that they get that much more time by most fans? 
    They probably would get more time but making it "a thing" ignores all the other factors that led to Curbishley's, especially, success.  Much higher up the list of reason would be actually being a good manager, the support and cooperation of the board/owner and the authority to do what he wanted, with in reason.

The only time since he left those circumstances have been replicated was the "summer of Powell".
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I never understand this.  

Some things you can't fight whether you know the club or not. 
    I'm not blaming Riga, just stating a fact. 
  • edited May 2022
    DA9 said:
    We will hire who ever is left on the self in late August. 
    That’s the spirit!
    Watford and Fleetwood have hired already . The rest with managers are signing players and we are tracing last years disaster when we had a manager who apparently was bi passed on some signings of which , somewere late anyway . We then scrabbled around in September.  The answer was Soarè.
    When I pointed out in mid June our recruitment was slow and  not in line with smashing the league I was rounded on by all. Now everyone  agrees last summer was piss poor. 
    That is why I say thar, history  doesn't exactly point to anything else does it , with Tommy.
    Why he just doesn't  do his badges and have done with it. 
    3 managers in 20 months isn't  goi g to attract a high flyer does it.
    I hope I am wrong. 
    What manager was apparently bi & why didn't he stiffen up the back 3 ?