Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Would be very happy with Taylor. 4 years experience of building a team on a small budget to get them promoted. Shows he had the patience, determination and general talent to get a handle on things. 
    He’ll need an owner with the same commitment, consistency and patience. I’m not sure we can say that about Sandgaard and I’m not sure I’d think it’s worth the risk if I were Taylor or any other manager currently at a club. 
    And a fan base. 
    Agreed 
  • matt88 said:

I like a high press but each successful manager or coach will have their own methods. On that basis Sandgaard would turn down Simeone and Ancelotti. 
  • Scoham said:
    Re Matt Taylor -
    Exeter are a lower L1/top L2 team.
    The fact that it took Taylor 4 years to get Exeter promoted in 2nd place, isn't a massive plus for me.
    The fact that he's probably a really nice bloke, isn't a massive plus for me, so was JJ.
    The fact that he's not managed above L2 is a negative for me.
    The fact that he switched from goalie to outfield at age 23, doesn't really clinch it for me that he's a wonderfully versatile manager/coach. To be blunt, it is not relevant.

I'm not unhappy if it's Taylor, but I know the likes of Warburton have the better CV.
    Does anyone know what kind of budget he’s had at Exeter and how it compares with the rest of the league?

@Addick Addict?
    I don't but he was allowed to spend some of the money to get the signings he wanted after losing those three or four players. 

• edited May 2022

I'd be happy if they gave it to Euell.
    i said at the time that i would have given it to Euell instead of Adkins. Unfortunately, like Jackson before him, i think he's too deep in that changing room for the team to benefit from a change.  

Agree. No doubt that Jason is a very good coach but the thing is he’s that. A coach. He can be pally and share a laugh and joke with the dressing room. The manager in my opinion can’t or at least on his own terms. I want Jason to stay but I don’t want him promoted to manager. He is I’m sure too close to a lot of players to get that balance now. Should he move on and get the number one elsewhere then I’m sure he’ll thrive.
    When was our fly on the wall documentary on Netflix where we got this info from
  • Michael Carrick

Discuss
  • Michael Carrick

Discuss
    To main stream for the hipsters.  

I did see someone say they don't want him because his teams don't play attacking football.  Based on his 3 game management career.  In which he was unbeaten.

Not the worst name linked to us, probably be a good manager for someone.
  • Oi Henry stop playing your silly games.
  • Michael Carrick

Discuss
    Who are you going to throw out there next Henry?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Has anyone thought that Rotherham are very good at getting promoted from League 1 (not so good at staying up) and Michael Smith is similar to Stockley; May be a tad better on the deck. With super Sub Aneke the goal every 90 minutes next season shouldn't we try to copy the hard working methods of the Miller men as opposed to getting the blue print from Pep Guardiola which we should purloined once we are back in the Championship ?

Passing from the flanks by wing back or attacking backs or CBT for JS and CS  to run on to not aimless boots up field which is so frustrating to watch as the ball goes flying over their heads.

Just saying as I don't think this high press will be possible for Cafc players for more than 45 minutes max unless we replace most of the squad.

Still prefer Warburton as new boss, as the assistant coach at Villa, Beale, won't be enameled with Thomas saying last time that Charlton have to aim higher than him. Not a great endorsement if you feel later he is the man you want.
  • Michael Carrick

Discuss
    Who are you going to throw out there next Henry?
    Tell you on Monday 
  • Michael Carrick

Discuss
    What does he know about league 1
    what managerial experience does he have

it’s a no from me
  • They have to let him bring his own coaching staff as well
    As long as he leave Ajose there
  • Swisdom said:
    Michael Carrick

Discuss
    What does he know about league 1
    what managerial experience does he have

it’s a no from me
    A "name" though 

Coached at a very high level.

Was never a player I liked and I'd hate all "Michael Carrick's Charlton" bollocks but he was linked with other EFL jobs.
  • Can’t remember which club but Carrick has been linked with some at our level.

Scott Brown new Fleetwood manager.
  • Carrick was linked to Lincoln but they went for Mark Kennedy who was Bows assistant at Birmingham 
  • Billyboy said:
    Taylor in to 9/2 with William hill
    Joint Fav now with JFH 4/1 with BetVictor
  • matt88 said:

Ahh yes of course. Someone has definitely sat down and processed the data of pressing for every single League One and League Two club. 

These stats are always unsourced and not to be trusted 
    What does the number even mean?
  • Re Matt Taylor -
    The fact that it took Taylor 4 years to get Exeter promoted in 2nd place, isn't a massive plus for me.
    The fact that he's probably a really nice bloke, isn't a massive plus for me, so was JJ.
    The fact that he switched from goalie to outfield at age 23, doesn't really clinch it for me that he's a wonderfully versatile manager/coach. To be blunt, it is not relevant.

I'm not unhappy if it's Taylor, but I know the likes of Warburton have the better CV.
    You think cos it took 4 years it’s a bad thing?  I see it as a good thing, shows what a bit of faith and patience can do in the midst of modern day revolving door management.  

Also shows he improved as a manager with time in his first role.
    So Charlton fans will be happy to give Taylor 4 years to get Charlton promoted?
    Err, that is definitely not happening, in anyone's world.
  • Sponsored links:

• I doubt many of us thought Lennie Lawrence would be such a great success when he was appointed.
    I'll be honest and say I wanted Gritt rather than Curbs.
    I was well pleased when we appointed Pardew.
    So I'll be honest and say I'd like Warburton, but other than that I really wouldn't like to call who would or wouldn't be a success.

Every single managerial appointment in football is an absolute hit and hope gamble.  If not Manchester United, pre Klopp Liverpool and Arsenal wouldn't have relative falls from grace.

The hope is that you try and stack the odds in your favour with rationale thought.  Adkins was a rationale appointment on paper. Fraeye was not. 

Very difficult job to pick a manager. 

I don't have a clue who would be good for us.  Even joking aside Klopp and Guardiola may fail at Charlton because the gulf in talent between the players they work with and those in League 3 and associated different management required may as well make it a different sport.

Get a half decent manager in, fund them and back their approach is probably the best bet for any clubs.  It's all a bit of  punt now especially as most seem to change bosses every couple of seasons these days before they perhaps have any real time to establish themselves.

• Can some one explain how we won at Rotherham if the intensity dropped off late in the season when the miller men were desperate to win ?
    I would love to see the stats on our games over the season by the Cafc analysts.

I agree we must've played in flip flops against Ipswich but we know there was issues by then over the uncertainty over contracts.
    You've cherry picked the best performance in 6 months though.
  • Think I was first on this thread to mention Taylor. ITK. 
  • edited May 2022
    Re Matt Taylor -

You think cos it took 4 years it’s a bad thing?  I see it as a good thing, shows what a bit of faith and patience can do in the midst of modern day revolving door management.  

Think Thomas will bank roll 32 million to stand still?  

That's not happening what ever the fans want.
  • Smithy said:
    Think I was first on this thread to mention Taylor. ITK. 

Might have to check that one Smithy though I wasn't ITK
  • Billyboy said:
    Taylor in to 9/2 with William hill
    Joint Fav now with JFH 4/1 with BetVictor
    So basically one person from this forum has stuck a tenner on.
  • Re Matt Taylor -

I guess it’s a good thing no one said that.