Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Chris Houghton is a great shout. Why couldn't we attract someone like him?
    Who is he, do u mean Chris Hughton?
  • cs1986 said:
    Signing Marquis is a sure sign that we have no ambition. He wont get us promoted & doubt he'd sign to be cover for Stockley. 
    Marquis is a very good league one goalscorer and to get him for 12 months would not be a bad bit if business Stockley Aneke Marquis and one other not a bad 4 at this level 
    33 goals in 115 games in last 3 seasons your definition of a very good goalscorer is a bit off there pal
    Take away the Lincoln  stint and you have 28 in 105. That isn't  bad. 
    28 in 105 is worse than 33 in 115…

If he’s cheaper than Washington and willing to play fewer games, I’d understand the logic. At the moment though, I’m baffled by the suggestion that he’s under consideration.

Anyway, back to the manager discussion.
  • I'd be happy if they gave it to Euell.
    i said at the time that i would have given it to Euell instead of Adkins. Unfortunately, like Jackson before him, i think he's too deep in that changing room for the team to benefit from a change.  

Agree. No doubt that Jason is a very good coach but the thing is he’s that. A coach. He can be pally and share a laugh and joke with the dressing room. The manager in my opinion can’t or at least on his own terms. I want Jason to stay but I don’t want him promoted to manager. He is I’m sure too close to a lot of players to get that balance now. Should he move on and get the number one elsewhere then I’m sure he’ll thrive.
  • cs1986 said:
    Signing Marquis is a sure sign that we have no ambition. He wont get us promoted & doubt he'd sign to be cover for Stockley. 
    Marquis is a very good league one goalscorer and to get him for 12 months would not be a bad bit if business Stockley Aneke Marquis and one other not a bad 4 at this level 
    33 goals in 115 games in last 3 seasons your definition of a very good goalscorer is a bit off there pal
    Take away the Lincoln  stint and you have 28 in 105. That isn't  bad. 
    28 in 105 is worse than 33 in 115 mate 
  • Redhenry said:
    Chris Houghton is a great shout. Why couldn't we attract someone like him?
    Who is he, do u mean Chris Hughton?
    No he means Chris Houghton.  He manages an under 9's team in Kansas City
  • edited May 2022
    I'd be happy if they gave it to Euell.
    i said at the time that i would have given it to Euell instead of Adkins. Unfortunately, like Jackson before him, i think he's too deep in that changing room for the team to benefit from a change.  

Agree. No doubt that Jason is a very good coach but the thing is he’s that. A coach. He can be pally and share a laugh and joke with the dressing room. The manager in my opinion can’t or at least on his own terms. I want Jason to stay but I don’t want him promoted to manager. He is I’m sure too close to a lot of players to get that balance now. Should he move on and get the number one elsewhere then I’m sure he’ll thrive.
    Are you saying a coach can't become a manager? I always thought it was where you start.
  • Quick!!! You can still get 33/1 on Rob Edwards to be our Manager with BetVic. Whoever said that some bookies are the equivalent of Dick Turpin without the mask weren't too far wrong.

Are you saying a coach can't become a manager? I always thought it was where you start.
    It’s like everything, circumstances matter. 

You’d want to look at the dynamic in the dressing room. If the coaches keep a distance from the players, trust them professionally, listen to their concerns and opinions but are not trying to be their “friend”, then it can work 

I’d have more reservations if they were more “just one of the team”. To go from that to being in charge is difficult because now you may have to make difficult decisions that can impact a perceived friendship. 

So coach to manager - absolutely. Coach to manager on the same team - maybe not. 

It’s like everything, circumstances matter. 

You’d want to look at the dynamic in the dressing room. If the coaches keep a distance from the players, trust them professionally, listen to their concerns and opinions but are not trying to be their “friend”, then it can work 

I’d have more reservations if they were more “just one of the team”. To go from that to being in charge is difficult because now you may have to make difficult decisions that can impact a perceived friendship. 

So coach to manager - absolutely. Coach to manager on the same team - maybe not. 
    Also not forgetting that JJ actually played with Jason Pearce. Not very often you see someone as a player, coach and then manager all at the same club within a 7-8 year period and be successful. He needs to go and coach/manage at a new club where he isnt JJ the club legend and all-round good guy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Three players who were vocal in saying JJ should get the job were Purrington, Gilbey and Pearce, all 3 were dropped at various times when Jackson was manager.  Unclear to me if he was too close to the players ?

No problem with POTY George Dobson and the wives may have been friends anyway.

Both Gilbey and Inniss should've been made too drive to Sparrows lane on a Sunday  for a two hour session after their shit for brains, red cards.

I really hope the next manager has the Midas touch because our fan/critic base is divided more than I have ever know it.
    More factions than you see in the middle East.

Reset, and don't expect us to smash it then you can't be disappointed; or do you just enjoy being angry or skittish ?

Of course not. What I’m saying is that I think Jason is too close to our dressing room to make that jump at Charlton. If he decides to pursue his career elsewhere as manager I’m sure he’ll do very well.  
  • Quick!!! You can still get 33/1 on Rob Edwards to be our Manager with BetVic. Whoever said that some bookies are the equivalent of Dick Turpin without the mask weren't too far wrong.
    Was it BetVictor who tried to get Charlton fans to bet on Matt Godden joining us by claiming it was a done deal, when it wasnt
  • Jason Euell will be manager by Christmas when our new manager turns out to be a load of shit like Adkins and most of the other managers we’ve brought in with now previous connections with our club and know nothing about what this club is all about. 
    Euell just keeping seat warm working with SG on recruitment.. he will end up at Wimbledon with JJ

• Birmingham have backed Bowyer, wonder where this leaves Warburton? 
  • ButtleJR said:

Birmingham have backed Bowyer, wonder where this leaves Warburton? 
    That is only because Warburton said no as he is 100% coming to us or another club.
  • I was told this information in late 2021, I was told not to keep it to myself which I did do.

But now I will share it on here.

I know someone who works for the club in the medical setup.

This person told me in December 2021, that the atmosphere in the dressing room at that time was awful, almost toxic.

Some of the first team squad were barely speaking to each other.
    And Jackson had all but lost the changing room.

The reason behind this unrest was Covid.. 

Some senior players (I don’t know names or numbers) but certainly two, possibly more players were committed Anti Vaxers.

Other players felt unhappy to mix with anyone who refused to be vaccinated. This divided the squad and hence caused bad feeling.

Because of this, some players shunned the Christmas party.
    I also understand that some people who did attend the Christmas party then tested positive for Covid days after attending the party.
    Jackson being one of those.

This caused further bad feeling and unrest.

I don’t know any more, but I will speculate and say that this may well be part of the reason we had such a bad January, and then struggled for the remainder of the season.

Thanks for sharing. Assuming it’s true based on performances it’s not a surprise that there was no team spirit and separate groups.
  • My guess is very few professional footballers would join a club that didn’t have a manager lined up.
    Hope our manager is sorted by end of May at latest.
    Whoever it is will need time to assess the remnants of the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey.
    Well, the covid thread stirs up divisions on here, I suppose it's perfectly logical that the same may happen in the dressing room.
  • I was told this information in late 2021, I was told not to keep it to myself which I did do.

This person told me in December 2021, that the atmosphere in the dressing room at that time was awful, almost toxic.

Some senior players (I don’t know names or numbers) but certainly two, possibly more players were committed Anti Vaxers.

Other players felt unhappy to mix with anyone who refused to be vaccinated. This divided the squad and hence caused bad feeling.

I also understand that some people who did attend the Christmas party then tested positive for Covid days after attending the party.

I don’t know any more, but I will speculate and say that this may well be part of the reason we had such a bad January, and then struggled for the remainder of the season.

I hope this is true.  Because it would explain a lot.  And also give us a bit of that the agitators are gone and we can move forward.
    Did it really ever look like the players lacked spirit (other than maybe Ipswich, which I didn't see).  We were utter garbage, especially in the spell when we had no forwards, but I didn't sense a lack of spirit.   
  • To get serious for a moment, Ted Lasso will be available after the Season (3).
  • wmcf123 said:
    I was told this information in late 2021, I was told not to keep it to myself which I did do.

I hope this is true.  Because it would explain a lot.  And also give us a bit of that the agitators are gone and we can move forward.
    Did it really ever look like the players lacked spirit (other than maybe Ipswich, which I didn't see).  We were utter garbage, especially in the spell when we had no forwards, but I didn't sense a lack of spirit.   
    I’d have to disagree, I thought there were numerous occasions where some (emphasis on some) looked like they didn’t really care that much.  The turning point for me was losing to Plymouth away, before that game we were the closest to challenging for the top six as we had been all season, after we lost that I felt some lost interest as mid table was inevitable.
  • Not wishing to set a cat amongst the pigeons but George Dobson told me he hasn’t been vaccinated.  We were chatting he was telling me he was off to watch West Ham in Europe but couldn’t go to certain places for summer holiday as he wasn’t double jabbed
  • Thanks for sharing, Billericay, that would certainly explain our nosedive in form; I wouldn't want to be around anti-vaxxers either, let alone sharing a dressing room with the infectious halfwits.

I wonder who the two imbeciles in our squad were....anyone recently spotted taking homeopathic remedies, sporting a crystal pendant or banging on about astrology, for instance?

This could be an interesting guessing game.  I suppose we could start by identifying the thickest players in the squad who may need the help of a coach to tie their bootlaces before coming onto the pitch?

Any likely suspects?

• That's all we need Dobbo is a hammer !!! He will be off there to replace Rice next 😳 

( thought I would start that off something else for people to worry about 😂)