Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Re Matt Taylor -
    Exeter are a lower L1/top L2 team.
    The fact that it took Taylor 4 years to get Exeter promoted in 2nd place, isn't a massive plus for me.
    The fact that he's probably a really nice bloke, isn't a massive plus for me, so was JJ.
    The fact that he's not managed above L2 is a negative for me.
    The fact that he switched from goalie to outfield at age 23, doesn't really clinch it for me that he's a wonderfully versatile manager/coach. To be blunt, it is not relevant.

I'm not unhappy if it's Taylor, but I know the likes of Warburton have the better CV.
  • Taylor warburton or beale would do me any of the 3
    I messaged a Wiltshire based Addick chum this exact shortlist a week ago. Manifesting from the South West to the South East 🤞🤞

If this goes through I highly recommend everyone checks out Matt Taylor's appearances on the My New Football Club podcast (an Exeter City themed pod hosted by comedians David Earl and Joe Wilkinson). Very candidly gives an insight into his career there and comes across really well in general (quite stern but with a decent sense of humour). 
    Stockley has been on the same podcast too, it's where he originally revealed more about his injury than the club or Cawley had managed to report at the time.
    Think Taylor may have managed Stockley for a season or so at Exeter actually...
    Half a season but was sold in the January - managed to find the net 16 times in 25 appearances before he left though - so does know how to get the best out of him
  • Re Matt Taylor -
    The fact that it took Taylor 4 years to get Exeter promoted in 2nd place, isn't a massive plus for me.
    The fact that he's probably a really nice bloke, isn't a massive plus for me, so was JJ.

I'm not unhappy if it's Taylor, but I know the likes of Warburton have the better CV.
    So does Nigel Adkins
  • Re Matt Taylor -
    The fact that he switched from goalie to outfield at age 23, doesn't really clinch it for me that he's a wonderfully versatile manager/coach. To be blunt, it is not relevant.

Does anyone know what kind of budget he’s had at Exeter and how it compares with the rest of the league?

@Addick Addict?
  • As Cawley has posted this, I would assume a deal is close.

Matt Taylor ticks a lot of boxes, I just hope he is given time
    Having never seen Exeter play, are you able to say what sort of football and formation they play?

I assume it’s the fluid, high press style that Sandgaard wants and demands?
  • edited May 2022
    Re Matt Taylor -

Clearly Warburton's CV is better than Taylor's, and given a straight choice i feel that most of us would go for Warburton but he will be aiming higher than us, we have to cut our cloth as the saying goes.
    Taylor has taken Exeter  up, and is highly thought of by the club and fans, and i feel would be a good choice, so hopefully negotiations go well.
  • As Cawley has posted this, I would assume a deal is close.

Having never seen Exeter play, are you able to say what sort of football and formation they play?

It is not. This season they have played 3-4-1-2 but they are about mid-table for pressing in league 2. Jackson's press was top 6 in league 1. Think Sandgaards comments were about how it dropped off and became a lot less intense. I don't think that was Jacksons fault though as the players did not put the same effort in once they had nothing to play for
  • Would be very happy with Taylor. 4 years experience of building a team on a small budget to get them promoted. Shows he had the patience, determination and general talent to get a handle on things. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done for being the messenger Billericay, but why would it be toxic at Cafc when every club has been affected by Covid and are split with pro and anti or just would rather not have the vaccine. Dressing rooms with young guys between 18-35 have a few falling outs but I don't believe the medical guy when he said it was a toxic atmosphere over Covid. 

Wish I had heard this chatter last week as I would've ask the player I saw on bank holiday Monday how the guys were with covid. The main thing we talked about was who was staying and who was going and JJ still waiting for news of his own position. 
    ( About the time JJ heard the news !)  I was told the atmosphere was still good but the uncertainty over contracts obviously affects the players who are coming to the end and want to know the clubs position. A good candid chat.

When you win the atmosphere is good in dressing rooms and when you lose it gets edgy. Charlton under JJ went on winning runs and losing runs but nothing where the wheels came off or Downed tools. Myriad of reasons why we lost but an insult to JJ to say the Atmosphere was toxic. Players moan when they are injured or having treatment that's what they do. That's what the medical guy would hear. I'm not shooting the Messenger but believe it's false news or an exaggerated story. 
  • Would be very happy with Taylor. 4 years experience of building a team on a small budget to get them promoted. Shows he had the patience, determination and general talent to get a handle on things. 
    He’ll need an owner with the same commitment, consistency and patience. I’m not sure we can say that about Sandgaard and I’m not sure I’d think it’s worth the risk if I were Taylor or any other manager currently at a club. 
  • edited May 2022
    NabySarr said:
    As Cawley has posted this, I would assume a deal is close.

It is not. This season they have played 3-4-1-2 but they are about mid-table for pressing in league 2. Jackson's press was top 6 in league 1. Think Sandgaards comments were about how it dropped off and became a lot less intense. I don't think that was Jacksons fault though as the players did not put the same effort in once they had nothing to play for
    Agree the intensity dropped off but it could be argued it was Jackson’s job to keep the squad motivated rather than entirely blaming the players.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    In truth, be very happy with this 👍 Wasn’t there an Exeter player that we were after but went slightly higher up the pyramid? Could have been Peterborough.
    Anyone who's first name, or surname, rhymes with handle.  Or left backs that weren't actually left backs 
  • edited May 2022
    Can some one explain how we won at Rotherham if the intensity dropped off late in the season when the miller men were desperate to win ?
    I would love to see the stats on our games over the season by the Cafc analysts.

I agree we must've played in flip flops against Ipswich but we know there was issues by then over the uncertainty over contracts.
  • Can some one explain how we won at Rotherham if the intensity dropped off late in the season when the miller men were desperate to win ?
    I would love to see the stats on our games over the season by the Cafc analysts.

I agree we must've played in flip flops against Ipswich but we know there was issues by then over the uncertainty over contracts.
    Probably more accurate to say we were inconsistent, there were games where it picked up but others where we didn’t press well at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    As Cawley has posted this, I would assume a deal is close.

Agree the intensity dropped off but it could be argued it was Jackson’s job to keep the squad motivated rather than entirely blaming the players.
    Think even Jurgen Klopp would struggle to get an intense press from a team with nothing to play for and most being out of contract or on loan. He kept them going better than I expected tbh in that final 10 games I was expecting similar to Powell 2011 but we actually did ok until Ipswich 
    He’ll need an owner with the same commitment, consistency and patience. I’m not sure we can say that about Sandgaard and I’m not sure I’d think it’s worth the risk if I were Taylor or any other manager currently at a club. 
    Yeah I get that. I do think though that Taylor will want to progress his own career and a poor season with Exeter due to lack of funds or whatever could really dent his prospects. 
    This is the profile Sandgaard is chasing so he would have to follow his own advice if he wants the success..appreciate that isn't a given.

• edited May 2022
    Can some one explain how we won at Rotherham if the intensity dropped off late in the season when the miller men were desperate to win ?

Assume you haven't seen the hours of work put up by @lancashire lad..on the thread "End of Season Statbank", if not give it a read... B)
  • Can some one explain how we won at Rotherham if the intensity dropped off late in the season when the miller men were desperate to win ?

I think this is where TS comments make a bit more sense. I think he said we struggled to break down a low block and I think it is probably right that we didn’t do well against the poorer teams in the league that were more likely to sit back and defend. But against the better teams like Rotherham we usually did better. Again I don’t think this was Jackson’s fault as the team didn’t have anyone good at unlocking a set defence because JFC/ Fraser weren’t fit enough and Lee was playing terribly. So all we had was pass to CBT and see what he can do 
  • Taylor in to 9/2 with William hill
  • Exciting. He was one of my two top targets and will be really pleased if he gets the gig.

Assume you haven't seen the hours of work put up by @lancashire lad..on the thread "End of Season Statbank", if not give it a read... B)

I have and Lancs lad is excellent.