Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• I think he could offer something as a squad player but his star is falling.
  • Tony Mowbury latest name but all I would say is when we were looking for a new man to replace Bowyer one man not mentioned was Adkins … 
    So you are saying Adkins is coming back?
  • Signing Marquis is a sure sign that we have no ambition. He wont get us promoted & doubt he'd sign to be cover for Stockley. 
    Marquis is a very good league one goalscorer and to get him for 12 months would not be a bad bit if business Stockley Aneke Marquis and one other not a bad 4 at this level 
    Agreed.

We also don’t know his domestic circumstances. At 30 I suspect being close to home might be important to him.
  • QPR after Liam Manning
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I thought he'd be delighted with someone coming from such a lower league background
  • Victor
    Hasselbaink 3/1
    Warburton 4/1
    Bowyer 5/1
    Lennon 5/1
    Beale 6/1
    Ferguson 8/1
    Taylor 10/1

Will Hill
    Warburton 4/1
    Lennon 4/1
    Bowyer 6/1
    Hasselbaink 8/1
    Beale 9/1
    Ferguson 10/1
    Taylor 10/1
    nice to see Lyle in the betting,player manager perhaps? TBH im still shocked Bowyer has gone
    We're a little ambitious trying to get Alex Ferguson out of retirement though
    It’s Sarah.  We haven’t had enough gingers since Nicky Bailey left 
  • John Eustace was a strong favourite for the Watford job before the Forest Green fella got it. Someone we might be interested in maybe? 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    Matt Taylor or Michael Beale would be my picks at this point but no idea if either would be a success. After the last few years, there doesn’t seem to be any logic when it comes to Charlton. 
    I’d be very happy with either of those two. Whoever it is has to be allowed significant input into signings and style of play. If you want them to continue be successful, back their expertise rather than force your own naive ideas into them. 
    I don’t see the issue around style of play - if an owner wants the team to broadly play a certain way (as long as the manager has room to be flexible in certain scenarios) they need to hire a manager that plays that way. I’m sure a lot of owners do it, including those who are running clubs successfully.

If you owned the club you probably wouldn’t hire a manager who plays defensive long ball football would you? Unless you like that style.
    True - but if you want a certain style of play you have to let the manager decide on formation, structure and the type of player they want. Do you think Adkins was allowed to do that?
    Agree but do we know that TS is pushing for more than a broad style, i.e. play out from the back, high tempo attacking football and a high press? I doubt he's forcing a formation and precise tactics onto managers.

I think we all agree Adkins didn't get the support he needed in the window. Changes have been made (Roddy leaving for one) and hopefully lessons learnt. TS knows we moved too slowly, it really shouldn't happen again.
    A lot of chatter last summer that the club/owner wanted a 4-3-3 and players (like Kirk), were signed on that basis.
    This, imo, was the biggest problem last year.  Even bigger than the players not being good enough and coming in too late and not match fit. 

No one gave enough consideration to what the players specific job and role was.  Just the position they played in. 

He is a good left winger , get him.  He is a good such and such get him.  He can do a job there etc etc.

The squad lacked natural combinations and the key components of a good team.  On paper it was a better squad than on grass and it was the sort of squad one of us would probably put together, including me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Could be rubbish but Warburton apparently in talks with Birmingham

So who is he having talks with, the current owners or the new (possible) owners? Why would the current owners sack Bowyer & pay out compensation if you've got a new crowd coming in ? it doesn't make sense.
    Is it legal to interview for a job where there is someone already in place?
    Yes, immortal but legal. 

Its how you sack the incumbent that's the issue.  99% of manager sackings aren't actually technically sackings are they.
    I was going to use this as an example in the lol thread until I re read it and saw my own typo! 
  • QPR after Liam Manning
    Booo
  • edited May 2022
    mart77 said:
    Warburton on Sky was just asked about being linked with us and Brum. He said he wouldn’t discuss it while people were in jobs and way it was discussed was that the club he was interested in taking over had a manager there, still in a job. 
    So "Silence Speaks Louder Than Words"..nice while it lasted... B)
  • Tony Mowbury latest name but all I would say is when we were looking for a new man to replace Bowyer one man not mentioned was Adkins … 
    When he was at Middlesbrough he was very insulting about Charlton saying we shouldn't be in the same division as them let alone on the same pitch....as for us winning ...yet we have played them 96 times in the league, 2nd most for us and won 35 to their 41.

Him being manger is as likely as Peppa Pig fan Johnson 🐖 flying. I loathe him for that one dismal pointless remark. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22228870
  • edited May 2022
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Tony Mowbury latest name but all I would say is when we were looking for a new man to replace Bowyer one man not mentioned was Adkins … 
    When he was at Middlesbrough he was very insulting about Charlton saying we shouldn't be in the same division as them let alone on the same pitch....as for us winning ...yet we have played them 96 times in the league, 2nd most for us and won 35 to their 41.

Him being manger is as likely as Peppa Pig fan Johnson 🐖 flying. I loathe him for that one dismal pointless remark. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22228870
    Mustapha Carayol has just been released by Gillingham and the legend Williams (OG) is coming home as manager?  Makes sense to me. 
  • edited May 2022
    Tony Mowbury latest name but all I would say is when we were looking for a new man to replace Bowyer one man not mentioned was Adkins … 

Except he didn't say that did he.
    He said we should be beating the likes of Charlton and unfortunately he was quite right, although somewhat harsh and condescending.
    Either way, he didn’t need to say it.
    easily could have just said “We should be winning our home games”
    knobish comment, but I’d still have him in a heartbeat 😂

• Addick_8 said:

Except he didn't say that did he.
    He said we should be beating the likes of Charlton and unfortunately he was quite right, although somewhat harsh and condescending.
    Either way, he didn’t need to say it.
    easily could have just said “We should be winning our home games”
    knobish comment, but I’d still have him in a heartbeat 😂

Definitely, which is why we remember it 9 years later (or however many years it was).
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    Matt Taylor or Michael Beale would be my picks at this point but no idea if either would be a success. After the last few years, there doesn’t seem to be any logic when it comes to Charlton. 
    I’d be very happy with either of those two. Whoever it is has to be allowed significant input into signings and style of play. If you want them to continue be successful, back their expertise rather than force your own naive ideas into them. 
    I don’t see the issue around style of play - if an owner wants the team to broadly play a certain way (as long as the manager has room to be flexible in certain scenarios) they need to hire a manager that plays that way. I’m sure a lot of owners do it, including those who are running clubs successfully.

If you owned the club you probably wouldn’t hire a manager who plays defensive long ball football would you? Unless you like that style.
    True - but if you want a certain style of play you have to let the manager decide on formation, structure and the type of player they want. Do you think Adkins was allowed to do that?
    Agree but do we know that TS is pushing for more than a broad style, i.e. play out from the back, high tempo attacking football and a high press? I doubt he's forcing a formation and precise tactics onto managers.

I think we all agree Adkins didn't get the support he needed in the window. Changes have been made (Roddy leaving for one) and hopefully lessons learnt. TS knows we moved too slowly, it really shouldn't happen again.
    A lot of chatter last summer that the club/owner wanted a 4-3-3 and players (like Kirk), were signed on that basis.
    This, imo, was the biggest problem last year.  Even bigger than the players not being good enough and coming in too late and not match fit. 

No one gave enough consideration to what the players specific job and role was.  Just the position they played in. 

He is a good left winger , get him.  He is a good such and such get him.  He can do a job there etc etc.

The squad lacked natural combinations and the key components of a good team.  On paper it was a better squad than on grass and it was the sort of squad one of us would probably put together, including me. 
    And there appears to have been no learning from that based on Sandgaard’s recent comments. 
  • Possible wishful thinking. However, could Warburtons apparent latest comments be due to the fact that his former assistant Eustace (seemingly rejected by Watford) is still employed by QPR and Warburton wants him to join his CAFC revolution 🙏? Seriously, why would they chose Brum over CAFC on the basis of an alleged 32 million (only) takeover that may possibly be completed at Brum some time in the future??!!! Warburton is my preferred choice for CAFC, but if he really considers Brum above CAFC, then we are probably better off without. Hopefully we will find out soon, one way or another, please….🤞
  • We all know what will happen. This will drag on another month after missing out on our 1st 2nd and 3rd targets, get someone underwhelming and they'll be gone by November.
  • edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

Probably, which is one reason he brought in Adkins, a manager who had been using 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 and continued to do so with us.

With the right players either formation could bring success, as could 3-5-2, a diamond or 4-4-2.

The problem was the players we brought in (and didn't) rather than the formation or the owner wanting exciting attacking football with a high press.
  • Also, I take it the whole "route to the first team" thing for coaches has gone out the window then?

• Chris Houghton anyone? I met him a few times as a player. Terrific bloke. If we get Marquis, Ben thompson, Aiden O'Brian and Romeo, we might as well ask Neil Harris to manage us and rename ourselves as 'The Spanner Rejects.' Ironically we would probably do better than this season.
  • When does pre-season training begin and when do the pre-season fixtures start? 

Realistically we need a manager before the former and a core of a squad before the latter.
  • The name Glen Riddersholm has been thrown into the mix elsewhere. Danish manager, previously at FC Midtjylland but currently assistant at Genk. Never heard of him myself, but it's something to talk about I guess.