Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    If the Marquis link is true which would make sense as a back up to Stockley then maybe Michael Appleton is set to be our next manager 
    Christians use The Old Testament to find all the prophecies relating to Christ. All those Appleton pics over the last ten years are our Old Testament. 
  • Options

Well we're not winning promotion or any cups with him in charge 
  • Options
    Whoever it is, expect them to be Charltonised by October. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    In at 50-1 is Shadab Iftikhar ?

Someone has put a lady Godiva on the Highland League manager Fort William and TBF he has got International experience as assistant coach with Mongolia.
    Only 33 years old and is a track suit manager. He prefers the 4-4-3 and was very successful with this formation for a few games until an Eagle eyed ref had a recount.

Shadab has all the badges and has a big fan base. His manta is play with a smile on your face, spread out and run around. High press, low press, and make your families proud.

He has my respect he is a qualified "A" licence coach. 
  • Options
    Blackburn now also looking for a new manager 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daniel Farke 3/1 favourite there atm
  • Options
    Daniel Farke 3/1 favourite there atm
    Yeh can’t imagine we’re competing with them
  • Options
    Matt Taylor or Michael Beale would be my picks at this point but no idea if either would be a success. After the last few years, there doesn’t seem to be any logic when it comes to Charlton. 
  • Options
    I’ve just got this horrible feeling it’s gonna be Neil Lennon 😐
  • Options
    I’ve just got this horrible feeling it’s gonna be Neil Lennon 😐
    I don't get the Lennon link at all.  As in where does it come from?  Even someone like Mick Mccarthy you can make some sort of logical explanation why the bookies might think it possible.  Lives local etc etc.

But Lennon and Kean I just don't see how anyone has put that together.  Unless they are actively pushing for the job.

Saying all that Laudrup was short priced last time and Adkins wasn't even mentioned until the day before he got the job.  I don't think Robinson was either. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Matt Taylor or Michael Beale would be my picks at this point but no idea if either would be a success. After the last few years, there doesn’t seem to be any logic when it comes to Charlton. 
    I’d be very happy with either of those two. Whoever it is has to be allowed significant input into signings and style of play. If you want them to continue be successful, back their expertise rather than force your own naive ideas into them. 
  • Options
    That's our shot at Shadab Iftikhar gone then.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I’d be very happy with either of those two. Whoever it is has to be allowed significant input into signings and style of play. If you want them to continue be successful, back their expertise rather than force your own naive ideas into them. 
    I don’t see the issue around style of play - if an owner wants the team to broadly play a certain way (as long as the manager has room to be flexible in certain scenarios) they need to hire a manager that plays that way. I’m sure a lot of owners do it, including those who are running clubs successfully.

If you owned the club you probably wouldn’t hire a manager who plays defensive long ball football would you? Unless you like that style.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    chev said:
    Mr 53589961 knows his onions and is a seriously ITK account 

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    I don’t see the issue around style of play - if an owner wants the team to broadly play a certain way (as long as the manager has room to be flexible in certain scenarios) they need to hire a manager that plays that way. I’m sure a lot of owners do it, including those who are running clubs successfully.

If you owned the club you probably wouldn’t hire a manager who plays defensive long ball football would you? Unless you like that style.
    True - but if you want a certain style of play you have to let the manager decide on formation, structure and the type of player they want. Do you think Adkins was allowed to do that?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

True - but if you want a certain style of play you have to let the manager decide on formation, structure and the type of player they want. Do you think Adkins was allowed to do that?
    Agree but do we know that TS is pushing for more than a broad style, i.e. play out from the back, high tempo attacking football and a high press? I doubt he's forcing a formation and precise tactics onto managers.

I think we all agree Adkins didn't get the support he needed in the window. Changes have been made (Roddy leaving for one) and hopefully lessons learnt. TS knows we moved too slowly, it really shouldn't happen again.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Alex McLeish was at the Valley recently wasn't he?
    sorry pwr the next 50 pages
    yes, he was sat in my row at the Lincoln game 😳😩😔
  • Options
    Signing Marquis is a sure sign that we have no ambition. He wont get us promoted & doubt he'd sign to be cover for Stockley. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

Agree but do we know that TS is pushing for more than a broad style, i.e. play out from the back, high tempo attacking football and a high press? I doubt he's forcing a formation and precise tactics onto managers.

I think we all agree Adkins didn't get the support he needed in the window. Changes have been made (Roddy leaving for one) and hopefully lessons learnt. TS knows we moved too slowly, it really shouldn't happen again.
    A lot of chatter last summer that the club/owner wanted a 4-3-3 and players (like Kirk), were signed on that basis.
  • Options
    Tony Mowbury latest name but all I would say is when we were looking for a new man to replace Bowyer one man not mentioned was Adkins … 
  • Options
    If I had to bet on it, I would say we have targets which we won't get and this will drag on and on because I don't believe the capacity to learn is there. I desperately want to be proven wrong but am at a point where I need to see some evidence. This club has made me cynical. We should have kept Jacko and backed him.