Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2022
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

I'm curious as to why you think this.

I literally just said this to someone.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

So why now TS is looking properly is it apparently to long.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

Are you just looking for a reason to moan?
    A stick to beat TS with?

We are not the only club without a manager atm

Lincoln haven't had a manager for 10 days
    Fleetwood magical 7 day(according to you) is up tomorrow.

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them
    I've come in for criticism here so I shall explain my reasoning:

It had been clear for several months that we weren't going either up or down a division.
    For those last few months we were generally in 13th- 17th place, weren't we? Therefore TS either thought:
    A. This is bad but I trust that JJ can sort it out for next season.
    B. This is bad and I need to change manager.

If it were B then he should have replaced him with a month or more to go so that the new manager can make his assessments.
    If it were A then he appears to have changed his mind at the last minute, probably due to the Ipswich result. My opinion is that this is what's happened. That's why I call it a petulant decision. It can't be because of our final position as we finished the season in almost the highest position we'd reached all season.

I may be wrong. What I know for sure was that I thought TS was great when he bought the club and I'm still thankful for that. What I now think is that he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club, and that we'll finish lower next season and then the next and so on until he changes his ways.

This

(contract termination timing fair point. Not convinced that TS knows how to run a football club & will have accrued significant debt by time he does)
  • Options
    Think the pool we are fishing in is 

Out of work or lower league managers.

Can’t see anyone coming from a good club with TS calling all the shots. Not enough football DNA involved in football decisions. 
    Do you think we are the only club where the owner is involved in decision making? 

Afc Wimbledon have a committee of non footballing people who make all decisions on player contracts and transfers.

that's one example. I reckon there are a lot more out of the 92. It's not 1970 where the local skip firm director buys the local club, funds it and takes a back seat. 

Sandgaard invests £7m a year just to keep the club going, do yo blame him for wanting to know where his money is going or wanting to be involved in the process?
    The Wimbledon that just got relegated ? 

I agree he should have a interest, but there is a big difference between being involved and calling all  the shots if I don’t know what I am talking about. 

I can buy shares in BP but i don’t think I should be involved in choosing  where to put he next oil rig. 
    I k ew I was setting myself up for that comment. Yes, relegates Wimbledon whose board allowed their top scorer to be sold to Wrexham and bought in a poor replacement without input from their manager, hence relegation.

I used them as an example because two different fans who have invested in them have told me how they are run and I didn't want to name other clubs without having any knowledge.  As I said, I'm sure other clubs are run in this way. Doesn't levy at spurs have the final say on transfers?

my point is, it's not just us being run in this way. 

I would prefer football people to make football decisions, but football doesn't seem to be run that way anymore
    Owners even in league one and two need to invest a lot of money these days just to survive and stand still. I doubt many are going down the route of giving carte blanche to someone with purely a cosseted football background. Certainly you’d be a fool not to include them in the process but the days of all powerful managers are I think done. 
  • Options
    Not sure where Marquis fits into a high pressing game 
  • Options
    Think the pool we are fishing in is 

Out of work or lower league managers.

Can’t see anyone coming from a good club with TS calling all the shots. Not enough football DNA involved in football decisions. 
    Do you think we are the only club where the owner is involved in decision making? 

Afc Wimbledon have a committee of non footballing people who make all decisions on player contracts and transfers.

that's one example. I reckon there are a lot more out of the 92. It's not 1970 where the local skip firm director buys the local club, funds it and takes a back seat. 

Sandgaard invests £7m a year just to keep the club going, do yo blame him for wanting to know where his money is going or wanting to be involved in the process?
    The Wimbledon that just got relegated ? 

I agree he should have a interest, but there is a big difference between being involved and calling all  the shots if I don’t know what I am talking about. 

I can buy shares in BP but i don’t think I should be involved in choosing  where to put he next oil rig. 
    I k ew I was setting myself up for that comment. Yes, relegates Wimbledon whose board allowed their top scorer to be sold to Wrexham and bought in a poor replacement without input from their manager, hence relegation.

I used them as an example because two different fans who have invested in them have told me how they are run and I didn't want to name other clubs without having any knowledge.  As I said, I'm sure other clubs are run in this way. Doesn't levy at spurs have the final say on transfers?

my point is, it's not just us being run in this way. 

I would prefer football people to make football decisions, but football doesn't seem to be run that way anymore
    Sure and I agree with your argument

But - and I am guessing - but I would imagine that most of the clubs that are run this way don’t have the owner and his non football son making recruitment decisions and patterns of play. 

It’s also probably easier to do the higher up the pyramid you go , as the players should be more able to adapt to different playing styles. 
  • Options
    He doesn’t , nor does Stockley and Aneke 
  • Options
    Marquis would make perfect sense as a back up to Stockley. 
    We missed Stockley hugely when he was out. 
    We would still need to replace Washington with a pacey younger forward

• Options
    We missed Stockley when he was injured and we need quality and competition in the squad.
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Can just see it being announced on CAFC's Insta page now - A photo of Bow with the slogan "Unfinished Busines"

And Jackson as his assistant. 

Chris Powell new left back
    Don't be silly Sir Christopher Powell - Director of Football
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022

If Marquis is the answer then wtf is the question.
    Who would be a budget Stockley replacement in case of injury, but probably be half as good?
  • Options
    Without having to scroll through all the previous posts has there been any mention about Matt Taylor? Just got Exeter up and is a former player of ours. 
  • Options
    He doesn’t , nor does Stockley and Aneke 
    Washington however…
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Without having to scroll through all the previous posts has there been any mention about Matt Taylor? Just got Exeter up and is a former player of ours. 
    yeah big conversation about him, pages 1-50 are non-stop Matt Taylor rumours. 
  • Options

If Marquis is the answer then wtf is the question.
    in one word or less, describe "meh"
  • Options
    And this is how you dont go about trying to sign someone from a different club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    redbuttle said:
    @ButtleJR as you had the connection with Thomas Sandgaard from early doors in his tenure I find it interesting to hear what you say whether you're the messenger or if you are joining the dots from what information you accrue.

It makes sense to get the new manager in ASAP as we have Season tickets to sell and players to join the club so the new gang of four can get to work: Thomas and Martin Sandgaard, Steve Gallen and the new manager who will hopefully inspire fans and critics to buy season tickets or at least not give up on the "project".

I assume your dad gets his info from you, (he said he did last season) so I wonder if you can say why Stockley won't be here next season as it will be news to Jayden ! Your dad have said it a couple of times and I wondered who is behind this story ?
    Actually I didn't get the info from junior it was from earlier posts on here..

Cheers redbuttle for clearing that up. I remember seeing someone say Wigan and I knew going North wasn't on Jayden's radar as he has his family all settled in the south East including a new born.
    A proud Poole boy and a gentle giant off the pitch.
  • Options
    Interesting that Eustace is still odds on and Edwards is 4s to get the Watford job.....
  • Options
    Warburton and Beale were both high on our list, no idea how far they have got with either of them.
    Not very far championship finished last weekend and the prem another two weeks to go … would expect Warburton would want to get away for a few weeks and AV won’t let anyone talk to Beale till season over 
    Sounds like Warburton is about to take the Birmingham job.
    Bowyer still in the role … 
  • Options
    All the latest Birmingham City news as former owner David Sullivan is reportedly set to fund a proposed takeover at St Andrew's for Laurence Bassini
  • Options
    All the latest Birmingham City news as former owner David Sullivan is reportedly set to fund a proposed takeover at St Andrew's for Laurence Bassini
    Copied and pasted from your news source of choice?  If only there were multiple other threads about it...
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I see nobody has mentioned Shadab Iftikhar yet.
    Probably because it is too tricky spelling his name! :)
      Bit tricky singing " Shadab Iftikhar's Red Army!!"
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Could be rubbish but Warburton apparently in talks with Birmingham

So who is he having talks with, the current owners or the new (possible) owners? Why would the current owners sack Bowyer & pay out compensation if you've got a new crowd coming in ? it doesn't make sense.
    Maybe it's Roland Rat!!!!!