Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I couple of things. 

Is attacking football modern?  I think a lot of things, high presses, low blocks, double pivots, false 9s etc etc are as old as the hills but they all have names now because there is so much air time and column inches to fill.

Do managers, in general, really have way they think the game should be played or a way they think they win the most games with the resources available?   You can afford an ideology when you have the resources, you have to be more pragmatic when you don't. 
    Attacking football is nothing new but the delivery of how the attacking football works is more so. Having out and out wingers and a target man or focus are gone in all the best teams. It wasn’t that long ago that you could still find this in the PL. 
    I think the main reason for that is there aren't enough good ones to go round.  Pep keeps trying to do with Zlatan at Barca and now Haaland at city. 

Bayern Munich and Real Madrid still play with a center foward, because they have got good ones.  They all keep buy Lukaku. 

If Liverpool wanted one who would they buy and how much would it cost?

Spain won everything without one but as soon as they could pick Costa they did. 
    Pep sold Zlatan because he didn’t suit his system. Haaland is a fair bit more than a target man.
    He also bought Zlatan in the first place.  The point is he isnt opposed to having one, he is opposed to shoe horning one in who isn't good enough.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Waiting for the womens fa cup and announcing Emma Hayes 
    Should have read the latest posts before posting my musings ! 
  • Options
    Ok, I'll bite.

No , I do not want a woman managing the men's team.

Ok, I've said it. So sue me.
    Did you moan when there were men managing the women's National football team? I bet you didn't! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I couple of things. 

Is attacking football modern?  I think a lot of things, high presses, low blocks, double pivots, false 9s etc etc are as old as the hills but they all have names now because there is so much air time and column inches to fill.

Do managers, in general, really have way they think the game should be played or a way they think they win the most games with the resources available?   You can afford an ideology when you have the resources, you have to be more pragmatic when you don't. 
    Attacking football is nothing new but the delivery of how the attacking football works is more so. Having out and out wingers and a target man or focus are gone in all the best teams. It wasn’t that long ago that you could still find this in the PL. 
    I think the main reason for that is there aren't enough good ones to go round.  Pep keeps trying to do with Zlatan at Barca and now Haaland at city. 

Bayern Munich and Real Madrid still play with a center foward, because they have got good ones.  They all keep buy Lukaku. 

If Liverpool wanted one who would they buy and how much would it cost?

Spain won everything without one but as soon as they could pick Costa they did. 
    Pep sold Zlatan because he didn’t suit his system. Haaland is a fair bit more than a target man.
    He also bought Zlatan in the first place.  The point is he isnt opposed to having one, he is opposed to shoe horning one in who isn't good enough.
    Pep clearly likes a striker, completely agree he’s played a false 9 because of a lack of options. 

I think you’re probably wrong about attacking football not being modern. The game has clearly developed, I heard Lineker recently talking about how the game had changed from an attacking perspective. It probably occurred a bit in places like Spain but English football has been reluctant to change its ways. Pep and Klopp have clearly helped accelerate the change too. I actually think midfielders have changed more than strikers though. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I'd be completely content with Taylor, but to be honest for all the talk of having a young attacking manager for the future, I'm really not convinced how much of a difference that makes at League One level really I think the squad is far more important. 

It's when you are in the Championship that you need that top quality manager as that's when you can really mould your squad with better quality players. Powell/Bowyer clearly aren't top managers but with a strong squad have been able to get promoted.

I'd rather Taylor than the other names in the betting odds though for sure. The Carrick shout did interest me though in terms of the same thought process that just even if he's not a great coach, he might have the contacts to get us some better loans etc
  • Options
    It strikes me that we need a manager who can get the confidence of TS and communicate with him so that he doesn't get silly ideas.  I'm not sure if Bowyer or Jackson ever achieved such a relationship, and while Adkins did his thinking was just outdated. Football owners need to be managed as well as players and the coaching staff, and while TS is an infinite improvement on recent versions this is still the case. Most successful clubs in the long term have good relationships between the manager and owner.  Taylor has done well on this score at Exeter, although the fan owned set up there may be different from our own.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll bite.

Yawn, what shock 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Ok, I'll bite.

Can’t see why. Coaching and good ideas for football are not the preserve of men. I don’t see a problem. We’re not asking her to go in goal are we.
    The only downside I can see is that some players would probably try to make life difficult for a female manager. At first at least. 
  • Options
    Would that be a lady manager  ;)
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Henry Irving;
    is he just throwing out some left-field suggestions to get his like/lol count up?

Discuss
    Yes.

Now that his given up wearing cardigans he has to have some other way of garning attention. 
  • Options
    Ok, I'll bite.

Can’t see why. Coaching and good ideas for football are not the preserve of men. I don’t see a problem. We’re not asking her to go in goal are we.
    Sure, if it is just a coach you're looking for. Managers tend to have more over-arching duties including handling personal issues, dressing somebody down when necessary, there are natural differences between the characters or women vs men. Maybe when this particular change happens in English football it will be a success, jury is still out for me on whether a woman in charge would be able to reign in 20+ young men all with bags of banter and attitude, having to retain that level of respect at the helm. 
    There's every chance Emma would come in and be a success, but as we haven't seen a female manager in the mens English game yet, I for one would rather us not be the guinea pig of this particular social experiment considering how wide apart the women's game currently is from the mens.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

The only downside I can see is that some players would probably try to make life difficult for a female manager. At first at least. 
    You dont think a women wandering around a male dressing room when players are in  the state of undress just slightly wrong. I bet there would be uproar of it was the other way round.

Is that your only reason? I’m sure if there was a female manager they could follow the team into the dressing room after a match for the debrief, and bugger off before the players got their kit off. 
    We did the same at my school with one of the teachers who seemed to want to hang around with his boys after the game. 
    And yes, there are plenty of male managers of women’s teams, and they don’t seem to have a problem. (c. @MuttleyCAFC)
    Anyway, this thread is in danger of being derailed. Perhaps a separate thread is in order for those who want to discuss this topic (not me!)?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

You dont think a women wandering around a male dressing room when players are in  the state of undress just slightly wrong. I bet there would be uproar of it was the other way round.

A man managing a women's team? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

Is that your only reason? I’m sure if there was a female manager they could follow the team into the dressing room after a match for the debrief, and bugger off before the players got their kit off. 
    We did the same at my school with one of the teachers who seemed to want to hang around with his boys after the game. 
    And yes, there are plenty of male managers of women’s teams, and they don’t seem to have a problem. (c. @MuttleyCAFC)
    Anyway, this thread is in danger of being derailed. Perhaps a separate thread is in order for those who want to discuss this topic (not me!)?
    Is the debrief part of getting there kit off?, maybe part of the problem!!😂🤣
  • Options
    Ah. The woman manager angle has gained some traction I see.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

Sure, if it is just a coach you're looking for. Managers tend to have more over-arching duties including handling personal issues, dressing somebody down when necessary, there are natural differences between the characters or women vs men. Maybe when this particular change happens in English football it will be a success, jury is still out for me on whether a woman in charge would be able to reign in 20+ young men all with bags of banter and attitude, having to retain that level of respect at the helm. 
    There's every chance Emma would come in and be a success, but as we haven't seen a female manager in the mens English game yet, I for one would rather us not be the guinea pig of this particular social experiment considering how wide apart the women's game currently is from the mens.
    Not a chance she’d drop down to manage us anyway 
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

Good.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

There are plenty of examples of it being"the other way round".
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

Good.
    True, give us more Adkins types 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

A man managing a women's team? 
    See Man City today
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Henry Irving;
    is he just throwing out some left-field suggestions to get his like/lol count up?

Discuss
    Does @CatAddickthink they are just "random" names?

Discuss.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

Just a stupid comment.