Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    So if my catching up is right, we're signing Zlatan and Pep will be manager.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    How are there male managers in the women's game then?
    It's almost like some people think either the managers can't wait until the opposite sex are decent or simply can't think of them in a non-sexual manner. 

I mean seriously. It's 2022 and we still have people (Golfie) thinking in a very old fashioned way about the opposite sex. Says more about their thinking imo.
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the people dismissing Hayes as an option have any idea who she is, what her management style is like, what her tactical preference is, how she handles man management etc. Or are some just saying no because they saw a women's game on TV 6 years ago and decided they didn't like it? I reckon I can guess.
    Bingo - watch any Chelsea game or use two minutes of your life to watch my earlier links. 
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Henry Irving;
    is he just throwing out some left-field suggestions to get his like/lol count up?

Discuss
    Does @CatAddickthink they are just "random" names?

Discuss.
    Definitely not random 😉  
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the people dismissing Hayes as an option have any idea who she is, what her management style is like, what her tactical preference is, how she handles man management etc. Or are some just saying no because they saw a women's game on TV 6 years ago and decided they didn't like it? I reckon I can guess.
    Whenever I have seen her as a pundit she has made a lot of valid points and was very insightful and talked a lot of sense most of which I agreed with. She has also been very successful. However there is something about her I don’t like, just like there is something I don’t like about Lee Johnson for example. Nothing to do with gender.

I wouldn’t have an issue with a woman manager as long as she was the best candidate for the job and not just a tick box exercise.

I disagree with someone earlier saying Hayes should be looking for a Championship job. The women’s game is, in my opinion, totally different to the men’s game and she needs to earn her stripes as it were.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whenever I have seen her as a pundit she has made a lot of valid points and was very insightful and talked a lot of sense most of which I agreed with. She has also been very successful. However there is something about her I don’t like, just like there is something I don’t like about Lee Johnson for example. Nothing to do with gender.

I wouldn’t have an issue with a woman manager as long as she was the best candidate for the job and not just a tick box exercise.

I disagree with someone earlier saying Hayes should be looking for a Championship job. The women’s game is, in my opinion, totally different to the men’s game and she needs to earn her stripes as it were.
    Not totally different, imho, just less physical, and a little slower. But the gap has narrowed over the last ten years and will continue to do so. It’ll never be exactly the same as men’s though, but not 100% sure if that matters. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Golfie had a female boss once and it infuriated him so much he became self employed 
    Kept waking in on him when he was naked. To be fair, he really should wear clothes at his desk. 
    So it was golfie sat topless on the teams ESI lawsuit, secret is out now 😉
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I couple of things. 

Is attacking football modern?  I think a lot of things, high presses, low blocks, double pivots, false 9s etc etc are as old as the hills but they all have names now because there is so much air time and column inches to fill.

Do managers, in general, really have way they think the game should be played or a way they think they win the most games with the resources available?   You can afford an ideology when you have the resources, you have to be more pragmatic when you don't. 
    Attacking football is nothing new but the delivery of how the attacking football works is more so. Having out and out wingers and a target man or focus are gone in all the best teams. It wasn’t that long ago that you could still find this in the PL. 
    I think the main reason for that is there aren't enough good ones to go round.  Pep keeps trying to do with Zlatan at Barca and now Haaland at city. 

Bayern Munich and Real Madrid still play with a center foward, because they have got good ones.  They all keep buy Lukaku. 

If Liverpool wanted one who would they buy and how much would it cost?

Spain won everything without one but as soon as they could pick Costa they did. 
    Pep sold Zlatan because he didn’t suit his system. Haaland is a fair bit more than a target man.
    He also bought Zlatan in the first place.  The point is he isnt opposed to having one, he is opposed to shoe horning one in who isn't good enough.
    Pep clearly likes a striker, completely agree he’s played a false 9 because of a lack of options. 

I think you’re probably wrong about attacking football not being modern. The game has clearly developed, I heard Lineker recently talking about how the game had changed from an attacking perspective. It probably occurred a bit in places like Spain but English football has been reluctant to change its ways. Pep and Klopp have clearly helped accelerate the change too. I actually think midfielders have changed more than strikers though. 
    It depends what you actually mean by modern.  Pepe's football is based in a philosophy that's deeply rooted in the late 60s/early 70s.  

The reason English football has changed so much in the last 30 years is more than managers having different philosophies.  There are more better players playing on better pitches and the players are much, much fitter.  Brian Cloughs forest players couldn't play like Liverpool or City do because they weren't fit enough, the pitches were too bad and actually they weren't good enough.

I was watching the highlights of Liverpool v Forest from 1988 earlier (its on YouTube if you want to watch it) and the football wasn't that much different to most things you see now.  

I think the point about managers choosing systems/styles to win games with the resources available, as opposed to an ideology that thats how the game should be played, is valid.  Anyone that saw George Graham play and manage would back that up.  Remember "hoof ball" was actually invented, and adopted as standard, due to scientific research by Charles Reep.  We know it still works, when done properly. 

That said even managers like Big Sam had teams playing " progressive" football, when he had the players.  They were still good at the other stuff as well though.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

• Options
    edited May 2022
    JamesSeed said:

Not totally different, imho, just less physical, and a little slower. But the gap has narrowed over the last ten years and will continue to do so. It’ll never be exactly the same as men’s though, but not 100% sure if that matters. 
    My concern over Emma Hayes is that outside of Arsenal and City (and Utd to a lesser extent) the quality of opposition is quite bad. Even though they got to a European final, they still seem a level below the elite in Europe.

I wonder how she'd cope against much more experienced managers in a more competitive league, it'll be interesting to see how she gets on when she does get a job in the men's game. I feel like league 1 would be a fair enough level for her
  • Options

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So if my catching up is right, we're signing Zlatan and Pep will be manager.
    I thought it was Hannibal Hayes and Kid Currie ? or am i missing something?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    No idea who we’re going to get as not ITK. 

At this point in time I don’t actually care who we get. What I do care about is that whoever it ends up being, is brought in soon, gets a decent crack at a pre-season and is backed by TS longer than it takes for them (to cover all bases) to start being attacked by our wonderful* fan base.

This outgoing season was pants. Like every CAFC fan I am a knowingly masochistic optimist and look forward to every new season with hope and, in most years, entirely unjustified, belief.

The new manager, for me, doesn’t have to have played for us earlier in their career. They don’t have to be an international or Premier League megastar. I will be happy with someone who can both operate with a plan whilst not being afraid, or incapable, of changing the plan if things aren’t going the way we want.

I suspect I’m not the only one just hoping for an early announcement and a chance for a good season. We didn’t in any way deserve it last year but I’d love to see us out of this tier. We don’t deserve any more as our performances dictated we ended up where we did but our misfortune with owners over the years pre TS means we surely can’t be chagrined for expecting a turn in luck. 

COYA and get us some news to gee us all up ASAP.

* I don’t think we’re any worse than any other fan base but the fear, melancholia and utter divorce from reality over TS’ actions sometimes make for poor reading.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Emma Hayes had always impressed me -but  not a fan of her comments today whinging about the sanctions Chelsea have had to suffer (because they were owned by a super-rich thieving oligarch). My words in brackets. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I mean seriously. It's 2022 and we still have people (Golfie) thinking in a very old fashioned way about the opposite sex. Says more about their thinking imo.
    Yeah Golfie is incredibly old fashioned not wanting a female manager. He needs to get with modern times. Oh hang on, there's currently zero female managers of the 92 league clubs, he is with modern times.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I am not averse to a woman manager in principle, I just don't see any candidates at the moment I would like to manage us. Emma Hayes would be the closest and could work but I don't think the league she manages in is that strong yet although it is clearly growing. Somebody will have to be the first and take the risk however, and it could pay off.
  • Options
    I’d take Taylor from Exeter or Warburton.  I think Warburton is more current than Adkins was when we got him and has recently been managing at a higher level.  Providing the internal structure of however we do our recruitment is something he can live with.  The same goes for Taylor.  I think the fact Taylor’s plied his trade and learnt on the job and had success with Exeter is a good thing.  I would even go so far as to argue it makes him a better candidate than Jackson.

• Options
    Met a QPR fan in a pub yesterday who said he was at their last game and it was a really strange atmosphere.  Whole crowd singing his name and noone wants him to go
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    No inside info but confident we’ll find out this week. 
    A manager from the play-offs?
  • Options
    Funny isn't it a lot of people would have taken Tissy a few years ago.