Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Chelsea's women team manager is a bigger job then ours 
    People can laugh all they want on here but it’s true. 
    How do you define bigger then?
    Higher profile, better paid, better infrastructure, she's still got ambitions around the Champions League and competing with Barcelona. 
    With that logic, managing the Chelsea u16s is a 'bigger' job than Charlton first-team manager then.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Higher profile, better paid, better infrastructure, she's still got ambitions around the Champions League and competing with Barcelona. 
    With that logic, managing the Chelsea u16s is a better job than Charlton first-team manager then.
    I don't know how you have that leap, a step up from the U16s in the men's games is a step up, but not between one of the best jobs in the Women's game to a lower league in the men's sport.

It also predisposes that the Women's game should know its place
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Can’t argue against that as it’s subjective. What always makes me laugh on a Saturday if you go through the BBC sports they have the women’s premier league results between championship and league 1. Purely because everyone wants to see the women’s premier league results before the lower leagues.By default the Women’s Premier league is better than league 1 because it has a higher profile with media outlets.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Confused as to why people think he wouldn't leave Premier League Villa as it's a good job etc.
    Mckenna left Man Utd to take up his first managerial role... why wouldn't Beale leave Villa?
    A but different though McKenna (and Carrick) weren't part of the package they were "left overs" from the previous managers.  Beale specifically moved jobs twice to go with Stevie G MBE. 
    Wouldn't say they were leftovers. They were kept on even after Ole left (Carrick chose to leave) but Mckenna was a first-team coach under Ragnick so was part of the coaching set-up still.
    Beale following Gerrard from Rangers to Villa is a given, he wouldn't have stayed at Rangers when there's a guaranteed job for him at Villa. 
    But they weren't Ragnick's men, so to speak, and there was no guarantee that they would still be there next season as yet another manager comes in, wanting to bring his own people in.  Part of the decision for McKenna to leave was probably timing.  None of that applies to Beale currently.
    Fair, but this is Manchester United we are talking about. Mckenna could have stayed till the end of the season as who knew how Ragnicks tenure was going to go. Say they got top 4 and won a cup, if he is part of that set-up, his CV is going to be impressive. Instead, he opted to take a managerial job as soon as he could be because I assume, turning down a manager's job if that is what you wanted to do long term was too good to turn down, especially at a club like Ipswitch. 

Remember, Beale as publicly said positive things about Charlton whilst we were looking for a manager so effectively putting himself in the shop window as well as having a conversation with TS before. I think if he was that committed to following Gerrard, he wouldn't be doing that in my opinion. If Beale wants to be managerial and wasn't too annoyed at TS comments when we recruited before about wanting to be a little more "Ambitious" then I think we would see that Beale isn't as locked into Villa/Gerrard as you think.. 
    unfortunately Ipswich is a better job than ours at the moment. Biggest budget in the league, their squad should have gone up this year and I think will do next year. With them it’s just a case of when will they go up and their ambitions are being backed up by actions. For us it’s a lot less certain that will be getting promoted soon. As he’s in a top level coaching job he can afford to bide his time and only leave if the job is the right one, but not sure we will be viewed that way 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    With that logic, managing the Chelsea u16s is a better job than Charlton first-team manager then.
    I don't know how you have that leap, a step up from the U16s in the men's games is a step up, but not between one of the best jobs in the Women's game to a lower league in the men's sport.

You've phrased that in quite a misogynistic way, but yes, the women's game is even beyond boys football, let alone mens. Chelsea Women in 2021/22 had average attendance of between 3,000-4,000.
    In-case you didn't catch it but back in 2018 the last time an event like this was tried, the USA women's team (world champions) lost 5-2 to an U15's boys team, and let's face it, USA is hardly pre-eminent for mens football: Link. I agree with you in terms of satisfaction, European football etc - the Chelsea women's job is superior, but in terms of difficulty, experience, follwoing and prestige required then I'm sorry but it's nowhere near the vacant Charlton job. 
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

You've phrased that in quite a misogynistic way, but yes, the women's game is even beyond boys football, let alone mens. 
    In-case you didn't catch it but back in 2018 the last time an event like this was tried, the USA women's team (world champions) lost 5-2 to an U15's boys team, and let's face it, USA is hardly pre-eminent for mens football: Link. I agree with you in terms of satisfaction, European football etc - the Chelsea women's job is superior, but in terms of difficulty, experience and prestige required then I'm sorry but it's nowhere near the vacant Charlton job. 
    I phrased it in a misogynist way? Ok, love to know how. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

You've phrased that in quite a misogynistic way, but yes, the women's game is even beyond boys football, let alone mens. 
    In-case you didn't catch it but back in 2018 the last time an event like this was tried, the USA women's team (world champions) lost 5-2 to an U15's boys team, and let's face it, USA is hardly pre-eminent for mens football: Link. I agree with you in terms of satisfaction, European football etc - the Chelsea women's job is superior, but in terms of difficulty, experience and prestige required then I'm sorry but it's nowhere near the vacant Charlton job. 
    'Should know its place' was your phrase of choice. Also telling that you ignored the rest of the post :) 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    In which case she wont be coming to us then presumably. Debate is therefore pointless in the context of 'next manager'.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

'Should know its place' was your phrase of choice. Also telling that you ignored the rest of the post :) 
    I was responding to your post, which as the full quote says 'It also predisposes that the Women's game should know its place'

So you should try some basic comprehension lessons 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Jason Euell as Wimbledon manager with Pearce as his assistant.

You read it here first.
    Maybe a job for JJ. 
    @Dazzler21 Are you doing a list this year? because it looks like JJ is going to the Wombles. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

I was responding to your post, which as the full quote says 'It also predisposes that the Women's game should know its place'

That was still your choice of words, not mine. It's quite funny to see the mask slip - when your argument folds on it's merits, you default to trying to insult me personally, but I'm fine for 'comprehension lessons', thank you.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

That was still your choice of words, not mine. It's quite funny to see the mask slip - when your argument folds on it's merits, you default to trying to insult me personally, but I'm fine for 'comprehension lessons', thank you.
    Nice try, my argument is fine, you misquoted to try and make a point, that's fine people do it all the time, just don't get on the defence when I post the full quote in response you
  • Options
    and as Emma herself as said

"Women's football is something to celebrate, and the quality and the achievement of all the females I represent... it's an insult to them that we talk about women's football being a step down, with the dedication and the commitment and the quality they have," Hayes said.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    I wonder how many of the people dismissing Hayes as an option have any idea who she is, what her management style is like, what her tactical preference is, how she handles man management etc. Or are some just saying no because they saw a women's game on TV 6 years ago and decided they didn't like it? I reckon I can guess.
    Very narrow minded comment there. Do you assume that your opinions are clearly superior that you think anybody in disagreement must be a bigot or misinformed?
    Speaking as someone against the idea of Hayes as an option, having managed various teams of men and women I know in order to be an effective leader you have to manage people differently and men/women especially often require very different approaches. Emma has clearly proven herself in the womens game and as a good leader amongst women, that has not yet been proven the mens. I’d personally rather us not be the test of that considering how dire our last few years have been.
    Point out to me where I've included an opinion about how Hayes would be as manager in my post? What I found going through was that there was an immediate dismissal of her ability to do the job by someone who said they didn't give a toss about the women's game and was worried that it was inappropriate for a female manager to be in a job where there is a room where a man might take his shorts off. That made me wonder how many against it were in the camp of 'woman manager, women's football is bad, no thanks' and how many had followed the WSL this season and had an idea of her as a manager to base an opinion on. I'm still interested in that, I think it's interesting. You've then assumed my opinion on it and called me narrow minded based on that assumption, which isn't really my problem to be honest.  As it is, as much as I rate her as a manager I don't know how she would find this mess and I think she'd be a bigger risk than I'd want to take at this point after a pretty miserable season, though I'd trust her to tell a few of these players who they are fairly quickly!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

Nice try, my argument is fine, you misquoted to try and make a point, that's fine people do it all the time, just don't get on the defence when I post the full quote in response you
    That's a pure lie and others will be able to read for themselves.
    For the sake of the forum and thread I will not be responding to you anymore :) 

Back on topic, Taylor still leading the way at 2/1
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Maybe one day, but not yet. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Vfrf said:
    I wonder how many of the people dismissing Hayes as an option have any idea who she is, what her management style is like, what her tactical preference is, how she handles man management etc. Or are some just saying no because they saw a women's game on TV 6 years ago and decided they didn't like it? I reckon I can guess.
    Very narrow minded comment there. Do you assume that your opinions are clearly superior that you think anybody in disagreement must be a bigot or misinformed?
    Speaking as someone against the idea of Hayes as an option, having managed various teams of men and women I know in order to be an effective leader you have to manage people differently and men/women especially often require very different approaches. Emma has clearly proven herself in the womens game and as a good leader amongst women, that has not yet been proven the mens. I’d personally rather us not be the test of that considering how dire our last few years have been.
    Point out to me where I've included an opinion about how Hayes would be as manager in my post? What I found going through was that there was an immediate dismissal of her ability to do the job by someone who said they didn't give a toss about the women's game and was worried that it was inappropriate for a female manager to be in a job where there is a room where a man might take his shorts off. That made me wonder how many against it were in the camp of 'woman manager, women's football is bad, no thanks' and how many had followed the WSL this season and had an idea of her as a manager to base an opinion on. I'm still interested in that, I think it's interesting. You've then assumed my opinion on it and called me narrow minded based on that assumption, which isn't really my problem to be honest.  As it is, as much as I rate her as a manager I don't know how she would find this mess and I think she'd be a bigger risk than I'd want to take at this point after a pretty miserable season, though I'd trust her to tell a few of these players who they are fairly quickly!
    I didn't claim to say you had an opinion on Hayes, but you did have an opinion on those who didn't want her.
    I do agree with you on the 'taking shorts off' part, ridiculous and doesn't matter one bit, I'm sure two professions can control themselves around the opposite sex so a non-point for me. Once again, I didn't assume your opinion on Hayes, I read your comment before where you made an assumption on those of us who don't want her.
  • Options
    When Tommy binned Jacko, I kind of hoped that we had informally sounded out one or more of our preferred (list of) successors such that all that remained was negotiation of Ts &Cs and a swift appointment would be announced.
    Would it be safe to assume now that that was not the case?
    Would it then also be safe, do you think, to assume that Tommy views the Charlton Manager/Coach job/project as sufficiently attractive that he will be deluged with "A" list applicants from which he can cherry-pick the best?
    I don't think I subscribe to that view.
    I think the project will take years; I doubt the pay is that great and I think the recruitment model is flawed unless the manager/coach has primary input.
    Just my ill-informed opinion of course.
    What price Jason Euell in the role of caretaker manager when the season begins?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Emma Hayes:

After the woman's cup final yesterday Emma held her son Harry and I thought where is his twin ?
    What I didn't know until I checked after, was the twin Albie died at 28 weeks and Emma had to carry that dead baby until Harry could be born first and then the dead embryonic baby. This happened 4 years ago, Chelsea won the cup in 2018 and Hayes didn't tell her players until the following week so the players could remain focused and also celebrate the victory.

Emma Hayes is a very strong person and successful football coach. I always want Chelsea to lose whether Men's, Woman's or youth football But Hayes have been so successful as a coach and manager in woman's football that Wimbledon or Charlton or anyone in the 3rd tier would be a step down. 
    I have watched her coaching and she is loud and commanding and her players, mainly Internationals will run through walls for her as was demonstrated in extra time against a very good City team yesterday.

Personally the first woman manager coach in probably the National League will already be coaching in men's football. Chelsea have a female coach in their boys academy called Fiona Armfield. It won't be her because of her age. ( ageist Sam!)
  • Options
    Sky Sport are desperately trying to promote the woman's game……I think they’ll find the results somewhat disappointing and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them scale down considerably in the not too distant future.
    I love the fact that women are now playing football to a much higher standard and long may they do so.
    I have genuinely tried to get more interested but I find the standard way below what the man’s game has to offer.
    Therefore, sad to say, I have no time for it as there is so much male professional football on offer via TV and the media…etc.