Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Vfrf said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Vfrf said:
    Ok, I'll bite.

No , I do not want a woman managing the men's team.

Ok, I've said it. So sue me.
    Can’t see why. Coaching and good ideas for football are not the preserve of men. I don’t see a problem. We’re not asking her to go in goal are we.
    Sure, if it is just a coach you're looking for. Managers tend to have more over-arching duties including handling personal issues, dressing somebody down when necessary, there are natural differences between the characters or women vs men. Maybe when this particular change happens in English football it will be a success, jury is still out for me on whether a woman in charge would be able to reign in 20+ young men all with bags of banter and attitude, having to retain that level of respect at the helm. 
    There's every chance Emma would come in and be a success, but as we haven't seen a female manager in the mens English game yet, I for one would rather us not be the guinea pig of this particular social experiment considering how wide apart the women's game currently is from the mens.
    @vfrf -   why would a woman managing a group of male footballers be any different to a woman managing a group of male accountants, doctors, bank staff, bakers etc 

There is absolutely no difference in managing a women's team to managing a men's team.
    How do you qualify that statement when it's never been done?
    In all of those industries you've mentioned, there's often a relatively balanced mix of both sexes in the actual teams. As a female manager in mens football, you'll often be the only female in the room unless you bring your own background staff so to say there's absolutely no difference is a hell of an assumption. You can't get past the biology of there being differences in men and women, also for what it's worth, I never said she'd be unsuccessful - I just said I don't want us to be the first team to do it as it could backfire and I'm quite frankly fed up with gambling and saying 'next year we'll kick on'. 
    explain what coaching and tactics can be employed by men that cannot be used by female players.
    the biology is irrelevant to tactics, unless you want the striker to squeeze the defenders balls as the corner comes in.
    Reverse pass
  • Options
    When Tommy binned Jacko, I kind of hoped that we had informally sounded out one or more of our preferred (list of) successors such that all that remained was negotiation of Ts &Cs and a swift appointment would be announced.
    Would it be safe to assume now that that was not the case?
    Would it then also be safe, do you think, to assume that Tommy views the Charlton Manager/Coach job/project as sufficiently attractive that he will be deluged with "A" list applicants from which he can cherry-pick the best?
    I don't think I subscribe to that view.
    I think the project will take years; I doubt the pay is that great and I think the recruitment model is flawed unless the manager/coach has primary input.
    Just my ill-informed opinion of course.
    What price Jason Euell in the role of caretaker manager when the season begins?
    He might have had a favourite but still want to interview others.

The time it’s taking could be due to the season not being over yet for some candidates.

I’m not convinced our set up will put that many managers off. There’s only so many vacancies and they’re either a hero if they succeed or likely get a pay off after being sacked, and in that scenario they can put the blame on TS and the structure he put in place.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    90+ new posts,thought something had happened....silly me
    No just some chat about a Lady called Emma 

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    4pm today was my prediction.

Have you a name to go with the time ?
    Shadab Iftikhar is the left field pick.

Shad has international experience as well with coaching the Mongolian team who are really fit guys with plenty of horse power.
    Done well this season, definite improvement, and ended up scoring more goals than those Lossiemouth bastards.
  • Options
    Shad has international experience as well with coaching the Mongolian team who are really fit guys with plenty of horse power.

Iftikhar is more qualified, coaching wise than Gareth Southgate when Gibson hired him as manager at Middlesbrough !

Well done Seth for thinking outside the box but Shady doesn't make the shortlist as doesn't have the kudos even though being manager of Fort William in the Scottish Highlands League is not too shabby for the A licence coach. 

• Options
    Why has this thread turned into a conversation around women’s football? I really don’t want to, nor do I expect to have to, read about it when trying to read the latest conversation around who the next Charlton manager may or may not be. 
    It’s turned into a women’s football thread because Emma Hayes was mentioned as a legitimate candidate (she has actually been linked with the QPR job) but she was quickly dismissed in case she couldn’t keep out of the men’s showers according to some idiots on here. But let’s all get back to pretending Neil Lennon could be a serious candidate after his successful Bolton spell. 
  • Options
    Why has this thread turned into a conversation around women’s football? I really don’t want to, nor do I expect to have to, read about it when trying to read the latest conversation around who the next Charlton manager may or may not be. 
    It’s turned into a women’s football thread because Emma Hayes was mentioned as a legitimate candidate (she has actually been linked with the QPR job) but she was quickly dismissed in case she couldn’t keep out of the men’s showers according to some idiots on here. But let’s all get back to pretending Neil Lennon could be a serious candidate after his successful Bolton spell
    Weren't Bolton in administration when he was there?

Without looking at why all these managers succeed in one place and fail in another, or even if they do both in the same place its not actually a good metric to employ, or not, a manager is it?

Just looking at Wikipedia you could say that Powell was really good here then aweful, when we know that wasn't the case. 

This forum can't even agree if Jackson was a good manager delt a bad hand or an OK manager who underplayed the cards he was delt and we are privy to every game he managed us for. 
  • Options

Carrick was one I mentioned earlier.

Next up was going to Robbie Fowler.  Rank outsider but at least the players would have a nice place to rent.

Discuss
  • Options
    I literally know nothing about whether Carrick or Fowler would be decent choices or just big names. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cor woman cant manage men because of biological differences. JESUS christ what century are we in. Ive had female managers for the entirety of my 'career'. Some have managed me okay, some have managed me brilliantly one was a incompetent disaster. Nothing to do with a biological difference.

On a side note the only man who ever managed me for any period of time was a crystal palace supporting acholic bully. 

Biological differences between men and women cor blimey wheres is the cave man mallet. 
  • Options
    I literally know nothing about whether Carrick or Fowler would be decent choices or just big names. 
    Same here.
    But with their premier league connections maybe some decent loan signings could happen. 
  • Options
    Cor woman cant manage men because of biological differences. JESUS christ what century are we in. Ive had female managers for the entirety of my 'career'. Some have managed me okay, some have managed me brilliantly one was a incompetent disaster. Nothing to do with a biological difference.

On a side note the only man who ever managed me for any period of time was a crystal palace supporting acholic bully. 

Biological differences between men and women cor blimey wheres is the cave man mallet. 
    Or woman.....

Monty Pythons The life of Brian - I want to be a woman on Make a GIF
  • Options
    I would like Michael Carrick.
  • Options
    Can there be a separate thread for the debate on Women's football? This thread is about replacement 1st team manager.
      Or is that being sexist?
    Gordon Bennett!!!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I’ve read a few articles of him being highly regarded as a coach. Wouldn’t mind him.
  • Options

Oh, which club did you play for?
  • Options
    It’s turned into a women’s football thread because Emma Hayes was mentioned as a legitimate candidate (she has actually been linked with the QPR job) but she was quickly dismissed in case she couldn’t keep out of the men’s showers according to some idiots on here. But let’s all get back to pretending Neil Lennon could be a serious candidate after his successful Bolton spell. 
    It was also said that the Chelsea womens job is 'bigger' than the mens Charlton job, which is mental.
    Which some agree, with, some don’t. The original point was, Emma Hayes could be a legitimate candidate for a head coaching/manager job in men’s football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not quite sure what Robbie Fowler has ever done to warrant any mention for any manager job. Is he even a coach anywhere?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Not quite sure what Robbie Fowler has ever done to warrant any mention for any manager job. Is he even a coach anywhere?
    Think he had a spell in Australia but came back because of COVID. Also coached in India it seems. 
  • Options
    https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/charlton-athletic

Beale slipped into 2nd favourite, not convinced BV have any insider info, just responding to the news cycles. Still Taylor for me.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Think he had a spell in Australia but came back because of COVID. Also coached in India it seems. 
    Didn't he do some work under Robinson at Mk Don's?
  • Options
    I know this sounds double Dutch ?

Frank de Boer and Ronald de Boer.

Frank's ambition to play entertaining football in South London remains a true ambition and this isn't Peter Pan in never Netherlands. This is a man who hates Palace for not giving him time and refuses to play Boering football.

Not about money, but about cleaning up Charlton Athletic who were left with dirty stains after Southall and co left skid marks that lingers.
    Frank and Ronald would use the Ajax brand to give CAFC a bright future.

We would see double with the De Boer twins; (buy one, get one free) auto Promotion and Wembley winners in the Papa John's trophy- not in four seasons but one.

The futures bright, The futures Orange.
    I think you need to get your coat Sam!
  • Options
    I know this sounds double Dutch ?

Frank de Boer and Ronald de Boer.

Frank's ambition to play entertaining football in South London remains a true ambition and this isn't Peter Pan in never Netherlands. This is a man who hates Palace for not giving him time and refuses to play Boering football.

Not about money, but about cleaning up Charlton Athletic who were left with dirty stains after Southall and co left skid marks that lingers.
    Frank and Ronald would use the Ajax brand to give CAFC a bright future.

We would see double with the De Boer twins; (buy one, get one free) auto Promotion and Wembley winners in the Papa John's trophy- not in four seasons but one.

The futures bright, The futures Orange.
    I think you need to get your coat Sam!
    and his medicine
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    CLthesaurus - 'Hayes grenade', Adj phrase. - to create controversial debate via a throwaway post. 
    Usage 'Have a butchers on the new manager thread, someone has chucked in a Hayes grenade'
    Similar - 'pass the popcorn', ''stand back and light the fuse'. 
    (Often reinforced by the word 'discuss') 
     :wink:  

So no more talk of Emma, Ben or Anthony.
    All 3 are sent to room 101.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I’ve read a few articles of him being highly regarded as a coach. Wouldn’t mind him.
    He's a name young players would be keen to play for. Would help massively in the loan market.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    CLthesaurus - 'Hayes grenade', Adj phrase. - to create controversial debate via a throwaway post. 
    Usage 'Have a butchers on the new manager thread, someone has chucked in a Hayes grenade'
    Similar - 'pass the popcorn', ''stand back and light the fuse'. 
    (Often reinforced by the word 'discuss') 
     :wink:  

So no more talk of Emma, Ben or Anthony.
    All 3 are sent to room 101.
    What about Melvyn?
  • Options
    It was also said that the Chelsea womens job is 'bigger' than the mens Charlton job, which is mental.
    I think the correct term is ‘attention seeking’