Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• AndyG said:
    The point surely is do we know what the guy does ? I personally doubt he is running our recruitment but I dont know. We seem to love a target on here, AKA GED Roddy etc without really knowing the facts. Talking of which (not being controversial) what happened to Roddy the left back is he still with us ? Did we ever find out if he was Geds son ?
    Jacob Roddy is Ged Roddy's son. He is still shown on the Under 23s team page but got injured.
  • Freddie Ljungberg 

Pros

Scandi

At 45 still relatively young

Coached and played at top level

Was interim manager at Arsenal for a few games

Knows London and married to  a Londoner

Available and wants to be a manager 

Had red hair and a song the Covered End can adapt.

Good contacts in game.

Cons

Doesn't know league 1

Has been out of the game for two years

Youth and U23s coaching experience but little first team management 

"Freddie Ljungberg's Charlton Athletic"

Discuss
    You have done it for us.
  • edited May 2022
    I'd employ my son if I was TS. He needs somebody he can trust in there I suspect. I think it is crazy us focusing on MS as anything more than that. 
    I totally agree, in principle. 

We have people come on here, and other places, and say he isn't in charge of anything other than using some software.  They maybe right.

However my biggest gripe over the last year has been the recruitment.  Everything else is either a distraction or because the recruitment is shit. 

Why in God's name is Thomas pedling the narrative that Martin is in charge of recruitment.  He even says he is out scouting players because you can't trust the data alone.

Martin is either in charge of recruitment and Thomas is an idiot.  Or Martin isn't and Thomas is an idiot for making us believe he is.  Either way it's not a good look. 

Does it undo the good things he has done, probably not but it's totally avoidable either way. 
  • Ljungberg isn't a daft suggestion , could see him being someone that's maybe applied actually. Don't know a lot about how he is as a coach/manager bar a short spell at Wolfsburg. 
  • edited May 2022
    Nepotism is showing favouritism to a relation not the fact that you employ them.

I don't know Martin Sandgaard or what his skill set really is BUT I do know that the players or certain players felt Martin didn't have the experience to make football related decisions. It is the perception from the dressing room but he may be excellent and superb in the job he have fallen into; time will tell ?

We had the "boy in his bedroom" Thomas D, so nothing new at Cafc.
    And that's the problem isn't it?  People now believe the rumour and innuendo, in part, because it matches the narrative that Thomas describes.

It totally undermines the manager if the players know, or even think, that it's actually Martin they need to show their loyalty to. 
  • The players need to show loyalty to the fans and the accumulation of points.
  • Hibs were after Jon Dahl Tommason before they got Lee Johnston. Apparently they could not agree terms.
    Scandinavia connections. Possible? 
  • Sponsored links:

• When do the players report back for training?
    I'm not 100% certain but think Chuks said 16th June at the POTY dinner.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Nepotism is showing favouritism to a relation not the fact that you employ them.

I don't know Martin Sandgaard or what his skill set really is BUT I do know that the players or certain players felt Martin didn't have the experience to make football related decisions. It is the perception from the dressing room but he may be excellent and superb in the job he have fallen into; time will tell ?

We had the "boy in his bedroom" Thomas D, so nothing new at Cafc.
    And that's the problem isn't it?  People now believe the rumour and innuendo, in part, because it matches the narrative that Thomas describes.

It totally undermines the manager if the players know, or even think, that it's actually Martin they need to show their loyalty to. 

Players are young guys who get close to the coaches, Player liaison officer ( Tracey) agents and some with the manager but not normally owners and their families. 
    A difficult situation that I hope works out for all our sakes.
  • When do the players report back for training?
    Cheers Fanny!
  • Ties in with my 15th June prediction  :*
  • Oh, yes he is...

(feel free to join in the pantomime)
  • When are we going to appoint someone?
    15th of June.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we don't hurry up and appoint Matt Taylor soon I might be forced to publish my 10,000 word thesis on why we should break the bank to persuade Nigel Clough to move down south!
  • edited May 2022
    Crusty54 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Why in God's name is Thomas pedling the narrative that Martin is in charge of recruitment.  He even says he is out scouting players because you can't trust the data alone.

Martin is either in charge of recruitment and Thomas is an idiot.  Or Martin isn't and Thomas is an idiot for making us believe he is.  Either way it's not a good look. 

Does it undo the good things he has done, probably not but it's totally avoidable either way. 
    His son was appointed Director of Analysis in December. He is not in charge of recruitment.

I know that is his job title but why does Thomas keep saying he is, if he isn't?  It's a simple question.

Richard Cawley
    Replying to @WestLondonAddi1 @Maccn5 and 2 others
    It's pretty clear who is lining up players. Martin Sandgaard is heading up analysis side and Steve Gallen negotiates the deals. This has been mentioned before. Obviously Thomas, as the owner, has big input as well
  • He said Martin is charge of recruitment analysis.  That is only one part of the recruitment function.  Scouting, analysis, decision making on which recruits to negotiate with and the ultimate negotiation are all separate functions in recruitment.  All of these fall under Gallens and ultimately TS perview  Martin is responsible for one aspect but reports to Gallen.  I have no clue if he is qualified for that sub role but the ultimate decision of recruiting and signing players lie with Gallen and TS
  • He said Martin is charge of recruitment analysis.  That is only one part of the recruitment function.  Scouting, analysis, decision making on which recruits to negotiate with and the ultimate negotiation are all separate functions in recruitment.  All of these fall under Gallens and ultimately TS perview  Martin is responsible for one aspect but reports to Gallen.  I have no clue if he is qualified for that sub role but the ultimate decision of recruiting and signing players lie with Gallen and TS
    He does not report to Gallen.  Him and Gallen both report directly to Thomas.  Gallen negotiates.  Thomas as said this, on the record multiple times.... 

"Martin will work alongside, and learn from, Steve Gallen and they’ll both report directly in to me.”. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61c596681c4de/update-on-roles-of-steve-gallen-and-martin-sandgaard

He also says Martin goes out scouting.  It does not all full under Gallen, according the narrative spun buy the owner.  He should know. 

It either does fall under Gallen and Thomas is lying, or it doesn't. 
    That seems logical but that's not the way it has been explained by TS and that set up as described, crucially, doesn't include the manager either when JJ was here or now
    And yet Adkins had to be convinced to sign Dobson. Sounds to me as it is a team effort identifying targets, but I suspect that it is TS that has to be convinced to pay the money. 

Obviously that will be easier if there is broad agreement.

It would be nice if we could give them a modicum of time and see how the new recruitment team do in their first summer.
  • Redrobo said:
    He said Martin is charge of recruitment analysis.  That is only one part of the recruitment function.  Scouting, analysis, decision making on which recruits to negotiate with and the ultimate negotiation are all separate functions in recruitment.  All of these fall under Gallens and ultimately TS perview  Martin is responsible for one aspect but reports to Gallen.  I have no clue if he is qualified for that sub role but the ultimate decision of recruiting and signing players lie with Gallen and TS
    That seems logical but that's not the way it has been explained by TS and that set up as described, crucially, doesn't include the manager either when JJ was here or now
    And yet Adkins had to be convinced to sign Dobson. Sounds to me as it is a team effort identifying targets, but I suspect that it is TS that has to be convinced to pay the money. 

Obviously that will be easier if there is broad agreement.

It would be nice if we could give them a modicum of time and see how the new recruitment team do in their first summer.
    Do we have any choice? It really doesn’t 
    matter what people post on message boards In the meantime.
  • edited May 2022
    When do the players report back for training?
    I heard that another League 1 club (Bolton ?) were returning on the 16th. 
  • seth plum said:
    I am not sure what Martin Sandgaard does, or any detail at all as to why he is disparaged, although I am sure people will reasonably say others could do whatever MS is supposed to do much better, but beyond that what damage to good stuff balance is there?
    I certainly don’t know.
    However what does make sense to me is Thomas Sandgaard having somebody in location he can trust, and to be honest I don’t blame him.

Appreciate your thoughts Seth but its not about trust it’s nepotism and it’s bonkers. Yes he can do what he likes it’s his money but it’s pure wrong for our football club.
    None of us really know though. I suspect it’s just a good fit for TS to have his son here, to keep an eye on things as Seth said. I doubt very much that Martin is throwing his weight around overruling people who have much more experience than he does, even if TS is bigging him up, saying he runs the show. Fwiw, the body language between him and Gallen seemed ok after the U18s match at the weekend. If Martin *is* being is nightmare then I’m sure we’ll hear about it one way or another.