Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I am not sure what Martin Sandgaard does, or any detail at all as to why he is disparaged, although I am sure people will reasonably say others could do whatever MS is supposed to do much better, but beyond that what damage to good stuff balance is there?
    I certainly don’t know.
    However what does make sense to me is Thomas Sandgaard having somebody in location he can trust, and to be honest I don’t blame him.

Appreciate your thoughts Seth but its not about trust it’s nepotism and it’s bonkers. Yes he can do what he likes it’s his money but it’s pure wrong for our football club.
    Yes it is clearly nepotism.
    Whether looking at the bigger picture it is wrong is more complicated.
    Maybe TS is worried about who he can trust.
    Wasn’t there some post recently about staff members acting differently when TS is around compared to when he is in Colorado?
    I’m not aware of that but if it’s true then he has big problems. To me that would suggest that he is not engaging the staff due several scenarios. Lack of clarity on the message. His behaviour being inconsistent vs the message. Or they don’t believe in the message. Pure speculation but bringing in your inexperienced son does not feel as though that’s going to change things for the better. 

Look at Arsenal and the Kroenkes Stan brings in son Josh but the Arsenal fans from what I can gather can’t stand them. I say that in that Arsenal have the 5th biggest wage budget and will finish in that position. Maybe I’m talking myself around the son is a red herring. If he spends like a drunken sailor and we have the biggest budget in L1 eventually we will be promoted regardless of who is in charge.
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    I am not sure what Martin Sandgaard does, or any detail at all as to why he is disparaged, although I am sure people will reasonably say others could do whatever MS is supposed to do much better, but beyond that what damage to good stuff balance is there?
    I certainly don’t know.
    However what does make sense to me is Thomas Sandgaard having somebody in location he can trust, and to be honest I don’t blame him.

Appreciate your thoughts Seth but its not about trust it’s nepotism and it’s bonkers. Yes he can do what he likes it’s his money but it’s pure wrong for our football club.
    None of us really know though. I suspect it’s just a good fit for TS to have his son here, to keep an eye on things as Seth said. I doubt very much that Martin is throwing his weight around overruling people who have much more experience than he does, even if TS is bigging him up, saying he runs the show. Fwiw, the body language between him and Gallen seemed ok after the U18s match at the weekend. If Martin *is* being is nightmare then I’m sure we’ll hear about it one way or another. 
    There are two camps here - blind faith in Sandgaard or enormous sceptics.  One is based on evidence, one is based on hope.  
  • Crusty54 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Why in God's name is Thomas pedling the narrative that Martin is in charge of recruitment.  He even says he is out scouting players because you can't trust the data alone.

Martin is either in charge of recruitment and Thomas is an idiot.  Or Martin isn't and Thomas is an idiot for making us believe he is.  Either way it's not a good look. 

Does it undo the good things he has done, probably not but it's totally avoidable either way. 
    His son was appointed Director of Analysis in December. He is not in charge of recruitment.

Not got the badges or qualification to be a manager or coach .. he is just part of SG team 
  • Crusty54 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Why in God's name is Thomas pedling the narrative that Martin is in charge of recruitment.  He even says he is out scouting players because you can't trust the data alone.

Martin is either in charge of recruitment and Thomas is an idiot.  Or Martin isn't and Thomas is an idiot for making us believe he is.  Either way it's not a good look. 

Does it undo the good things he has done, probably not but it's totally avoidable either way. 
    His son was appointed Director of Analysis in December. He is not in charge of recruitment.

Not got the badges or qualification to be a manager or coach .. he is just part of SG team 
    That’s got to be a wind up because there’s a quote from TS on the official site saying MS and SG both report directly into him just a few posts up.

"Martin will work alongside, and learn from, Steve Gallen and they’ll both report directly in to me.”. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61c596681c4de/update-on-roles-of-steve-gallen-and-martin-sandgaard
  • edited May 2022
    So TS has said two different things about his son’s role and confused things. Shock. Let’s move on. 
  • So TS has said two different things about his son’s role and confused things. Shock. Let’s move on. 
    What was the other thing he said?
  • Fumbluff said:
    He has the most powerful shot in football
    Hot Shot Hamish 
  • If we get much beyond the end of this week we will once again appear unable to recruit our targets, this time a manager.  As an optimistic person it is rare for me to feel that I think we are close to throwing away another season if we don't have a manager in place this time next week. We currently need a lot of players in and have no manager/head coach.

Yes I know I am repeating the obvious, unless you are a certain poster, but sorry that was cathartic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

That’s got to be a wind up because there’s a quote from TS on the official site saying MS and SG both report directly into him just a few posts up.

"Martin will work alongside, and learn from, Steve Gallen and they’ll both report directly in to me.”. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61c596681c4de/update-on-roles-of-steve-gallen-and-martin-sandgaard

At this point, people are just purposely ignoring what's been said and it's all just got a bit tiring and dull now.
  • edited May 2022

The big issue seems to be your owner's interference, which I think might be the thing that really gives Taylor pause. At Exeter he has pretty much complete control over everything. Unlike in the past we don't have an experienced director of football behind the scenes. I don't know if he'd be willing to work with an owner who is telling him how to play and who to sign.

Thanks Dave. Interesting last paragraph when an outsider is looking at our club at present. Gives you food for thought 
  • Thanks Dave. 
    My money’s on him not joining us, for what it’s worth (very little). Would be happy enough if he did though. 
    One thing’s for sure, I’ll be happier if we announce someone by the weekend so we can get on with ‘rebuilding’ (again).
  • Heyo, Exeter fan here popping along to share some thoughts on Matt Taylor as there seems to be a lot of talk about him going to you. No idea if any of it is genuine or not and obviously hope he doesn't go, but that's the nature of football.

He's clearly done some great stuff with a midtable budget this season. It's taken some time to get there though, you might need a little patience to get to where you want to be. Doesn't sound like your owners are in for that. We've had some dire results over the last 4 years and there was a vocal minority calling for him to be gone, particularly the end of last season.

As far as tactics go, we've done really well with 5-3-2, which I read is what you've been playing and it not being an ideal fit. I wouldn't worry too much about that, we were forced into it by having a bunch of players best suited to wingback and no fullbacks or wingers.

Developing academy players is something we're known for and I've seen people on here are keen on it. Obviously a lot of this is down to the academy itself, which was churning out gems before Taylor and will continue to do so after he's gone (hopefully!). He deserves credit for bringing them into the first team, but again that's been a longterm project requiring patience as they are gradually introduced. This close season he's been unusually ruthless culling them, with some real surprise releases. I guess that's either a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. 

The big issue seems to be your owner's interference, which I think might be the thing that really gives Taylor pause. At Exeter he has pretty much complete control over everything. Unlike in the past we don't have an experienced director of football behind the scenes. I don't know if he'd be willing to work with an owner who is telling him how to play and who to sign.

Our owner doesn't want to pick the side, he just wants to tell the manager to play a certain style and recruit for him.  All well and good to play attacking football if you are good enough.

The main drawback with our owner is the fact he is on Twitter, the idiots get in his ear and then he finally reacts.
  • cfgs said:
    Heyo, Exeter fan here popping along to share some thoughts on Matt Taylor as there seems to be a lot of talk about him going to you. No idea if any of it is genuine or not and obviously hope he doesn't go, but that's the nature of football.

He's clearly done some great stuff with a midtable budget this season. It's taken some time to get there though, you might need a little patience to get to where you want to be. Doesn't sound like your owners are in for that. We've had some dire results over the last 4 years and there was a vocal minority calling for him to be gone, particularly the end of last season.

As far as tactics go, we've done really well with 5-3-2, which I read is what you've been playing and it not being an ideal fit. I wouldn't worry too much about that, we were forced into it by having a bunch of players best suited to wingback and no fullbacks or wingers.

Developing academy players is something we're known for and I've seen people on here are keen on it. Obviously a lot of this is down to the academy itself, which was churning out gems before Taylor and will continue to do so after he's gone (hopefully!). He deserves credit for bringing them into the first team, but again that's been a longterm project requiring patience as they are gradually introduced. This close season he's been unusually ruthless culling them, with some real surprise releases. I guess that's either a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. 

Our owner doesn't want to pick the side, he just wants to tell the manager to play a certain style and recruit for him.  All well and good to play attacking football if you are good enough.

The main drawback with our owner is the fact he is on Twitter, the idiots get in his ear and then he finally reacts.
    Which is still a problem. Any manager or coach you recruit has been successful because they’ve chosen to play a certain way, with certain types of player etc. Why would you then force them to change that and expect it be successful? 
  • cfgs said:
    Heyo, Exeter fan here popping along to share some thoughts on Matt Taylor as there seems to be a lot of talk about him going to you. No idea if any of it is genuine or not and obviously hope he doesn't go, but that's the nature of football.

Either way, it's less responsibility than Taylor enjoys at Exeter.
  • cfgs said:

Which is still a problem. Any manager or coach you recruit has been successful because they’ve chosen to play a certain way, with certain types of player etc. Why would you then force them to change that and expect it be successful? 
    You wouldn’t, you’d hire a manager who has a similar footballing philosophy to you. If I owned the club I’d never hire a manager who only plays a long ball game for example.
  • cfgs said:

I agree, I am old fashioned a manager gets sacked if results are poor so he should be allowed to build a team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    cfgs said:

You wouldn’t, you’d hire a manager who has a similar footballing philosophy to you. If I owned the club I’d never hire a manager who only plays a long ball game for example.
    That parts obvious. What about input into transfers?
  • Scoham said:
    cfgs said:

Got to find someone willing to work under the structure you’ve put in place, or change it.

Wonder if that’s a reason we haven’t hired anyone yet?

It’s not a unique structure to us and can work but MS is completely unproven, it’s not as if he’s worked his way up from being an analyst in the academy or joined after being successful elsewhere.

I can see a head coach coming in as I don’t expect TS to change the structure at this point in time.
  • edited May 2022
    @ExeterDave

Thanks for your post on all things Exeter and Matt Taylor. Best of luck in 44 of your games next season.

You say 5-3-2 but is it more attacking in the sense that most of the time it is 3-5-2 with the wing backs playing a large part of the game attacking rather than holding their positions in a defensive shape in a Tony Pulis type formation where you double up on the opposition's wide player/s ?
    You negate more than be offensively minded ?

Formations are always flexible when you are in or out of possession obviously and also is the word locally that Matt Taylor is a mate of the players or he is the gaffer and expects players to show discipline on and off the pitch ?

I, like you have doubts about the working relationship between Thomas Sandgaard and Matt Taylor if he was offered or if he accepted the Job as Matt had a lot of freedom at Exeter and major decisions were all down to him within the monetary constraints.

Cheers.

• edited May 2022
    cfgs said:

Interesting stuff Dave and thank you for taking the time and bother of posting. My only comment on what you’ve said is that should Matt at some point decide to move on to a bigger challenge than Exeter City, and I say that with all due respect, it’s unlikely that he’ll ever get the control and responsibility he’s enjoying currently. 
  • Taylor will have no doubt had a chat with Jackson and others he knows from the club in weighing up any offer.

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    cfgs said:

Got to find someone willing to work under the structure you’ve put in place, or change it.

It’s not a unique structure to us and can work but MS is completely unproven, it’s not as if he’s worked his way up from being an analyst in the academy or joined after being successful elsewhere.

I can see a head coach coming in as I don’t expect TS to change the structure at this point in time.
    I believe it is 
  • cfgs said:

And a whole lot more pressure and expectation. Even whilst an asumed  salary bump and move to a, respectfully, relatively higher profile club may be enticing on paper the reality may be different when factoring in additional expectation and implied less control.

I'm sure Taylor at this point has more insight of what it's like managing Charlton Athletic in 2022 from inevitable chats with Jackson and others he may know than most of us on here and therefore may not be the assumed no brained in accepting any offer he may have received. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    cfgs said:

I believe it is 
    Well in that case, they might as well not hire anyone at all and just do it themselves. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    cfgs said:

Agree and in my opinion, that’s still a huge problem. You’d think they’d compromise on the recruitment strategy a bit as it clearly hasn’t worked.