Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• It thought a new manager had two years to get coaching badges
  • Meanwhile the people at that Charlton Athletic Museum, who must be in the know, posted this.

A nod's as good as wink to a blind horse

I’m wondering if he’s the only person, player or supporter to have ever done that button up. It’s a no from on that basis.
  • Good to hear from @ExeterDave.

I liked Taylor as a player, and admire what he's done at Exeter.

I think he'd be absolutely nuts to apply for the Charlton job under this ownership.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    As Leo Tolstoy who managed Arsenal (Tula, not Woolwich) and did some writing in his spare time almost said:

All good owners are alike, but every bad owner is bad in their own way 

So fans can criticise TS and IMHO there are a number of valid reasons and other concerns at present (and some nonsense too) but he isn't ESI 1 or 2, Roland, the Spivs, Murray, Hulyer or the Glikstens.  He is a different person in a different time.

So comparisons, which are inevitable, are unhelpful.   

He doesn't have to be as bad as Roland to be bad.

And not being as bad as the Spivs, Roland, or ESI (which I don't think he is) doesn't put him beyond criticism either.

Not going to rehash yet again what mistakes he has or hasn't made.

I expect everyone, especially me, to make mistakes.

It is how people react and learn from those mistakes that is telling.

That's why this managerial appointment and the summer's recruitment will be, IMHO, the key indicator for TS.

We don't know the internal timetable for the managerial appointment so we don't know if it is ahead of, on or behind schedule.

We do know that no has been announced on the OS. Yet.
    This cast-iron delineation between 'good owners' and 'bad owners' is the sort of bullshit that our fans have gone insane swallowing. We've ended up in the situation where the only 'acceptable' owner has limitless cash, limitless patience, gives the manager limitless control, and probably does limitless damage in their day-job of human-rights-abusing oil potentate. Football is fucked and we don't know we're born. Sandgaard is fine. He cares. He'll very easily do. 
    Not if we continue to drop down the leagues he won't. Or even fail to get promoted.

He doesn't have oligarch unlimited funds and no way would he hang around throwing £8m a year of his families finite inheritance into the bottomless money pit of league one perpetually and no one could expect him to.

Particularly when the fanbase expects us to be challenging to play at a higher level.

If we were AFC Wimbledon or Burton then plodding along in yhis league with low expectations and mirrored lower expenditure I think it would be sustainable.

But we're not and both fans and owner know that and will want to get to the championship asap where both fans and owner would likely be far more comfortable in staying in that league for the foreseeable.

But don't you see how your logic, which is sound, would surely mean he cares a LOT that we get promoted? And that would square with my own observations. Nothing he's done indicates contentment with League One
    Oh yes I wholly agree with that sentiment mate. Where my concern stems from is whether he has the nous and experience, or has it in his management team, to achieve our wholly mutual objectives.

I still think our objectives are aligned between fan and owner in a way not seen under prior owners eg football success.

Concern is that it appears it requires really well executed strategies, shit ton of money, right managerial and playing appointments and a slice of fortune in today's game even in our increasingly daunting league one.

Concern is thar TS is still in the "figuring it out" stage and that his proclamations of top 2 etc seem wildly optimistic/ naive if he truly believes them. Also worry he would lose interest/ be understandably terrified of doing a serious amount of his wealth year after year especially when there is no adulation and potential for the opposite with each season that failed to get near stated expectations.

I don't question his heart or intentions but his understanding and experience of what is required beyond admirable positivity and can do attitude and the money he's gratefully pumping in to keep us going.
    All completely fair, and I wish this were the tenor of all the criticism - reasonable, balanced, understanding, constructive. 

We're an abused, sick, desperate fanbase though, so I suppose it's inevitable that it isn't. 
  • i hope TS gets Curbs in
    I would like to see him involved in ‘some way or another’ on the team/playing side of things.
    Not sure how that could be accomplished though, first off an agreement with the new manager would need to be made in order that he would agree to the idea.
    Of course……..would Curbs himself be interested?
  • Please tell me it could not happen.Martin Sandgaard Mananger Jason Euell Head Coach ?
    It can't happen

MS doesn't have any coaching badges which are now a requirement for managerial roles in the EFL and EPL.
    Which rather begs the question as to why BetVic have him as a 12/1 shot - what happened to the old betting adage "if you can't win, you can't lose"?
  • Sponsored links:

• I still believe that TS is in it for the right reasons, i.e building success for the fun times to roll. If financial gain comes in the deal, mores the pleasure. He wants it to come good as much as us, and has 8,000,000 reasons a season (if figures are as suggested).

I like most fans just want to see success and good football. It makes me feel good on a Saturday and Sunday morning the Mrs reaps the benefit.

Not all owners or managers can get the recipe right, as only 3 clubs gain promotion, which is generally the yardstick of a successful season.

Our collective distain is set to remain until TS gets the recipe right. Success is crucial to TS winning favour with the fans. Shiny seats, a good U18, U23, women's team are very much appreciated, but the 1st team is what the majority including myself, use to measure football happiness.

Get it right TS or trouble will be brewing. 
  • edited May 2022
    paulfox said:
    wmcf123 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    I am not sure what Martin Sandgaard does, or any detail at all as to why he is disparaged, although I am sure people will reasonably say others could do whatever MS is supposed to do much better, but beyond that what damage to good stuff balance is there?
    I certainly don’t know.
    However what does make sense to me is Thomas Sandgaard having somebody in location he can trust, and to be honest I don’t blame him.

Appreciate your thoughts Seth but its not about trust it’s nepotism and it’s bonkers. Yes he can do what he likes it’s his money but it’s pure wrong for our football club.
    None of us really know though. I suspect it’s just a good fit for TS to have his son here, to keep an eye on things as Seth said. I doubt very much that Martin is throwing his weight around overruling people who have much more experience than he does, even if TS is bigging him up, saying he runs the show. Fwiw, the body language between him and Gallen seemed ok after the U18s match at the weekend. If Martin *is* being is nightmare then I’m sure we’ll hear about it one way or another. 
    There are two camps here - blind faith in Sandgaard or enormous sceptics.  One is based on evidence, one is based on hope.  
    To a greater or lesser extent the story of every ownership (discounting ESI2) over the last decade is the same - movement from optimism/goodwill to disappointment/ antagonism. The timescale and depth of disillusionment differed but the trajectory has been the same. I think that is more accurate than “two camps” - it is a dynamic and people move from one to the other position over time. The movement has been one way only.

Perhaps it was ever thus. You can apply it to the Glikstens, Hulyer, Fryer and even the Murray-led administration although there was significant success mixed into those (over and above promotion from the third tier).

I do not think the fans were responsible for what happened with the spivs/Duchatelet/ESI - the reality was that all of these owners were wankers, to use the technical term. The movement in opinion was thus inevitable as they got found out, on and off the pitch. None of those people were going to run the club successfully over time, however the fans reacted. All of them, incidentally, were overtly or covertly opposed by their own staff.

It’s important both to learn from history and not to conclude that this dynamic is inevitable. But right now the trajectory is the same, whether people like it or not.
    The trouble is our fan base have been scarred from the wankers as you technically call them, has your stance changed on TS? As your tone of post regarding him seems to have changed or am I misinterpreting things( easily done) are we in danger of trying to find TS out as you say and eventually push the guy away  for what has been described as naive mistakes?. If the people with an agenda against him have concrete evidence that history is repeating then show the evidence so it can be acted upon, otherwise it could end in tears and open ourselves up to Thomas giving it bollox, and low and behold we’re asking the same questions of the new incumbent, eventually the doubters are going to have to accept what we have and not what they would want in a perfect world.
    I’m not sure who the people “who have an agenda” against TS are or what their “agenda” is, But I do recognise this as the way any criticism of the spivs, Duchatelet and ESI was dismissed. Until it wasn’t. 
    I know who they are but they are on another forum……thankfully.
  • Please tell me it could not happen.Martin Sandgaard Mananger Jason Euell Head Coach ?
    It can't happen

MS doesn't have any coaching badges which are now a requirement for managerial roles in the EFL and EPL.
    Now, now @Henry Irving you know you can't let facts get in the way of a trublesome story...😉
  • Meanwhile the people at that Charlton Athletic Museum, who must be in the know, posted this.

I’m wondering if he’s the only person, player or supporter to have ever done that button up. It’s a no from on that basis.
    I checked and on the 1997 head and shoulders shots only two people had done up the top button.

Beale and this famous player

I checked and on the 1997 head and shoulders shots only two people had done up the top button.

Beale and this famous player

I think it’s just great you have bothered to check😂👍
    It can't happen

Which rather begs the question as to why BetVic have him as a 12/1 shot - what happened to the old betting adage "if you can't win, you can't lose"?
    We know why

Golf Addick contacted them and asked for odds.  They gave him 25/1 and he stuck £20 on.  Immediately dropped to 12/1.

Well done @golfaddick for proving just how meaningless such betting markets are.
  • Thanks for that amazing check on buttons Henry. I’m impressed but we had to know.
  • Thanks for that amazing check on buttons Henry. I’m impressed but we had to know.
    Also a very astute observation, hopefully our new manager has such an eye for detail!!😂
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    @ExeterDave the great Fred Binney played for both of our clubs.
    The best person I ever employed and worked alongside arrived with a first from Exeter University.
    I like the ground development seen on the telly since my last visit to the proper St James’ Park, what is the away capacity?
    My understanding is that true Devonians pronounce it ‘Egg-zet-ur’, unlike our terrible Grockle mispronounciation.
    Looking forward to us playing each other next season, and whatever the management situation I hope you do well.

True Devonions pronounce it Baahb'lon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3-Gu2zmaY
  • I just had a thought; 2022-23 season will mark the 40th anniversary of Allan Simonsen's time with us. He could revive his managerial career (on hold for the last decade I think) back at The Valley, maybe for just 16 games? He's not yet turned 70, and is the right nationality!

• Those who said we would be late again taking action in the transfer window to secure key players, were dismissed as moaning pessimists.

Few could have predicted we wouldn't even have a manager to sign them up and one of our few consistent players would already have left without replacement. 

Not even a sniff of a new manager, as far as I can tell.  There is plenty of time of course but clearly no-one was lined up or even sounded out before Jackson was dismissed. It seems there was no planning or contingency in place. Instead we now appear to have uncertainty and confusion at a crucial time for team building for the next campaign. 

As a confirmed optimist and true believer  in Mr S. I  will continue to hope for the best despite all the mounting evidence to the contrary. 

• DA9 said:

Is TS perfect?  No
    Is he anywhere near the levels of shithousery, incompetence and criminal behaviour of previous incumbents, No
    Has he made mistakes, Yes, but I believe all to do with inexperience, naivety and ego rather than some Machiavellian plot.

Rant over 
    He did say Elvis was over rated :- )

But, yes I agree.

He wants success in the same way we fans do.
  • RedRobin said:
    So no news then? The club is a joke, takes us weeks to get anything done. Last summer we went about a month without signing anyone during the window, and we wonder why we failed last season. 
    But season not over yet ? how many other deals have there been ?
    It can’t happen .. don’t have the badges