Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: England vs Hungary 4th, Germany 7th, Italy 11th and Hungary 14th June 2022

Comments

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Why are people so shocked? We had easy routes to semi's and the final in the last two tournaments making us look better than we are. As soon as we come up against a decent side we crumble. Not looked at the next world cup but if the route to the final is tougher than the last two I expect an exit in the last 16. 
    Exactly, and we could have easily lost the shootout to Colombia in the last 16, the public might have turned on Southgate then if that happened. 
    Yes, and we could easily have won the shootout against Italy and been European Champions. If we're going to start saying 'if we'd lost the match we won we'd not have done as well in the tournament' then we've reached a level of pointlessness that even Charlton Life isn't ready for.
    Because debating the could haves shouldn't happen on a football forum?
    I'm not sure that saying 'if we hadn't won a match we'd have lost a match and people would be sad instead of happy' is much of a could have to debate, is it? If any manager throughout history had some of their best wins taken off them then we'd view them differently. The public might change their mind on Messi if he hadn't scored all those goals.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Why are people so shocked? We had easy routes to semi's and the final in the last two tournaments making us look better than we are. As soon as we come up against a decent side we crumble. Not looked at the next world cup but if the route to the final is tougher than the last two I expect an exit in the last 16. 
    Exactly, and we could have easily lost the shootout to Colombia in the last 16, the public might have turned on Southgate then if that happened. 
    Yes, and we could easily have won the shootout against Italy and been European Champions. If we're going to start saying 'if we'd lost the match we won we'd not have done as well in the tournament' then we've reached a level of pointlessness that even Charlton Life isn't ready for.
    Because debating the could haves shouldn't happen on a football forum?
    I'm not sure that saying 'if we hadn't won a match we'd have lost a match and people would be sad instead of happy' is much of a could have to debate, is it? If any manager throughout history had some of their best wins taken off them then we'd view them differently. The public might change their mind on Messi if he hadn't scored all those goals.
    If you make it sound as dumb and basic as that, then sure. By that rationale surely the countless Charlton match threads where we've debated what might have been if we 'got that penalty', or if 'that goal wasn't offside' are equally pointless then. 
  • Options
    It was quite amusing us losing 4 nil to Hungary 
  • Options
    Can’t see past Argentina, they looked tasty at Wembley.
    We’ll huff and puff and grind out a quarter or semi which is good cos these players aren’t anywhere near as good as past teams 

I was looking at the team that played France in 2004 euros (admittedly subs were pony but the starting 11 ) and lost to two late Zidane goals in injury time in the group stage … we eventually lost to Portugal on pens in quarters I think.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Noticeable last Summer how all of a sudden a side like Germany were considered “not that good” only once England had beaten them….
    They did only win 1 game the whole tournament. 
    Right. So other strong footballing nations like France, Germany, Portugal and Belgium all faltered early-ish in the tournament but we didn’t. 

We didn’t get shown up by anybody, regardless of whatever revisionist nonsense comes out about the Final itself - where everybody became a tactical expert in the aftermath. 

This is the first proper bump in the road in Southgate’s 5 years - and if it comes in the Nations League then so be it. 

He’s not beyond criticism, but he’s well in credit. And for somebody to come in and better him then they need to win the World Cup - simple as that.
    Kind of the point, it was our tournament to win it. We had the form, we had the best squad in the competition. 

We took the early lead in the final....then just faded away and let Italy dominate for 60 minutes + ET. 
    Now where have I heard that before…
  • Options
    Carter said:
    You cannot blame Southgate for this result or any of the performances, its ridiculous to schedule these games the way they have. No wonder clubs get pissy about players going on international duty. 

We have a world cup coming up in the middle of the season because FIFA are run by corrupt maggots and toads and now the nations league which started as an honourable distraction from pointless friendlies scheduling games bang on top of each other with no time to rest, recover, train and prepare in between. In June! Fucking let them have a proper break, all this has done is let a ton of people throw mud at the most successful manager we have had in most of our lifetimes and propose we replace him rather than acknowledge the fixtures have been atrociously planned. 
    Errr yes.. you can do exactly that.

If this was a normal world cup year, THIS is the fucking garbage we would be served up right now. How much recovery would they have had? stop making excuses 

the world cup has been played for decades after the normal season in june/july
    It wasn't a World Cup game.
    It was the 4th friendly (dressed up as a competition) in 11 days in June when the players should have been on the beach recovering from a 10 month season.

I'm surprised some people think friendlies against Hungary hold the same importance as a World Cup.
    This ^^^

Plus the fact that we are not the best footballing nation in the world , and it’s pretty unlikely that we ever will be. The fact that the Premier League is very rich doesn’t mean we’ll win major tournaments, or even necessarily reach the final stages every time. 
    I’d rate us in the top 10 perhaps, so getting to the last eight is decent, any further is a bonus. 
    As fans I’d rate in the Top 20 at best. We turn at the drop of the hat, we have crap songs, and we fight too much. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Can’t see past Argentina, they looked tasty at Wembley.
    We’ll huff and puff and grind out a quarter or semi which is good cos these players aren’t anywhere near as good as past teams 

I was looking at the team that played France in 2004 euros (admittedly subs were pony but the starting 11 ) and lost to two late Zidane goals in injury time in the group stage … we eventually lost to Portugal on pens in quarters I think.

Before Euro 2020, Id argue 2004 was our best chance of a trophy. If only that Sol Campbell goal in ET against Portugal wasn't disallowed. 
    I would have said it was a perfectly good goal too. But England are never unlucky are they...   
  • Options
    The same thing happen against Argentina in '98 too - We had an unfair goal disallowed during Extra-Time

- Ironically was Campbell both time.
     - Score was 2-2 both times
     - We lost on penalty, both times!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He makes a lot of it, but his standing foot was kicked.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Everything is “embarrassing” nowadays apparently.

And no, we aren’t hearing too much about it - probably because the bigger topic is the fact that the team got the biggest tonking on home soil in 94 years which is a bit more of a pressing topic.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Only foreign players dive and cheat. Same as in league football when it’s only northern teams who are always dirty. 
  • Options
    I just wish we could get into the underdogs mentality, rather than having these unrealistic expectations. The plucky English making it to a final rather than ‘what a disgrace, we played well for half an hour, then we were rubbish’.
    I always thought the Irish fans in particular seem to have an absolute blast when they qualify for a major tournament, and any win is treated like a great triumph, any defeat a temporary setback. We English normally just get nervous during the tournament, and depressed when it’s over. 
  • Options
    He makes a lot of it, but his standing foot was kicked.
    Good spot! I hadn’t noticed that. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I just wish we could get into the underdogs mentality, rather than having these unrealistic expectations. The plucky English making it to a final rather than ‘what a disgrace, we played well for half an hour, then we were rubbish’.
    I always thought the Irish fans in particular seem to have an absolute blast when they qualify for a major tournament, and any win is treated like a great triumph, any defeat a temporary setback. We English normally just get nervous during the tournament, and depressed when it’s over. 
    We lost 4-0 to Hungary. 

Lots of criticism about being unhappy we had our worst home loss in 90 years. I don't get it. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We lost 4-0 to Hungary. 

Lots of criticism about being unhappy we had our worst home loss in 90 years. I don't get it. 
    biggest margin in a home defeat since 1928 !! .. this team had no pride, they did not want to be there, where is the joy at playing for your country ? .. as far as I am concerned they are a bunch of over spoilt, over ;paid silly little kids doing stupid drawings and play acting for the TV before the first Hungary game .. did you see that ? .. fuck the tattoos and the silly haircuts, just get out there and play with some spirit or stay with your clubs, forget about playing for England and let the manager find a squad that does want to play
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    You cannot blame Southgate for this result or any of the performances, its ridiculous to schedule these games the way they have. No wonder clubs get pissy about players going on international duty. 

We have a world cup coming up in the middle of the season because FIFA are run by corrupt maggots and toads and now the nations league which started as an honourable distraction from pointless friendlies scheduling games bang on top of each other with no time to rest, recover, train and prepare in between. In June! Fucking let them have a proper break, all this has done is let a ton of people throw mud at the most successful manager we have had in most of our lifetimes and propose we replace him rather than acknowledge the fixtures have been atrociously planned. 
    Errr yes.. you can do exactly that.

If this was a normal world cup year, THIS is the fucking garbage we would be served up right now. How much recovery would they have had? stop making excuses 

the world cup has been played for decades after the normal season in june/july
    It wasn't a World Cup game.
    It was the 4th friendly (dressed up as a competition) in 11 days in June when the players should have been on the beach recovering from a 10 month season.

I'm surprised some people think friendlies against Hungary hold the same importance as a World Cup.
    This ^^^

Plus the fact that we are not the best footballing nation in the world , and it’s pretty unlikely that we ever will be. The fact that the Premier League is very rich doesn’t mean we’ll win major tournaments, or even necessarily reach the final stages every time. 
    I’d rate us in the top 10 perhaps, so getting to the last eight is decent, any further is a bonus. 
    As fans I’d rate in the Top 20 at best. We turn at the drop of the hat, we have crap songs, and we fight too much. 
    Fucking hell what a shit take 
  • Options
    Harry Kane is now so good that he can actually hover in mid-air when his lone standing foot is kicked away.

Honestly, we got spanked 4 zip at home by Hungary and that’s what he tweeted about. England flag in the bio as well. Helmet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    This is total drivel.
  • Options
    I'm ready to be shouted down but once again I say England will never win anything whilst Southall is manager. All you people that keep going on repeating his record in the last 2 major tournaments seem to be ignoring the players England have at the moment. Imo he cost us both of those tournaments due to his negativity. Look at how these same players are now playing for england, they are so negative it's like watching us last season. Someone mentioned why jude Bellingham has stopped pressing forward like he used to ? I tell you why Southgate is stopping him because he is negative in his approach. A top manager would take these players to major honours by allowing them to play to their strengths. Southall is to scared to do so
  • Options
    Southgate not Southall  :D
  • Options
    Southgate not Southall  :D
    Hahaha apologies he isnt THAT bad 😂😂
  • Options
    Gammon said:
    Major said:
    Carter said:

Yes you can blame woke Southgate. How can you fire up your team for kick off, when you make them kneel first?
    It's a submissive gesture. Never mind the fact he obviously knows F all about what's really behind BLM.
    I’m sure you have no agenda here. Argue about his football not his politics.
    And he should stick to football and not get involved with politics.
    Needs to take a lesson from Eddie Howe.
  • Options
    Major said:
    Carter said:

Yes you can blame woke Southgate. How can you fire up your team for kick off, when you make them kneel first?
    It's a submissive gesture. Never mind the fact he obviously knows F all about what's really behind BLM.
    This is one of the most ridiculous posts i've ever read on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

You do realise we did the same during the Euro's yes?
    Yes, of course. But now it's tired and stale.
    Just like Englands performances have become/
  • Options
    Major said:
    Carter said:

Fuck - and I cannot stress this strongly enough - off. 
    Ignorance is bliss. Try reading.