Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 8 quid pint is with us ...

Comments

• As I don't drink bitter can anyone say why it seems (based on the figures given here) that lager is so much more expensive. 
    Because people with the taste buds of a teenager deserve ripping off?  :D  
    Our tastebuds are relatively at their peak in our teens/early twenties, towards middle age they decline and we are unable to perceive taste as much.
  • Anything over a fiver is profiteering. You know you can get it for under £3 a pint in the supermarket and they are still making a decent profit on that. I like real ale/craft beers and the 'shop-pubs' have been great but boy are they over-charging. They usually run one or two cheaper lines at £4.XX but most are way over a fiver and often £6 plus.  CIU clubs (eg The Radical Club in Plumstead) still manage to serve pints at well under a fiver and their costs won't be miles away from regular pubs. It's really no wonder large high street pubs are going out-of-business. 
    Your first two sentences are nonsense (actually apart from the bit about you liking beer, the whole post is broadly nonsense).
  • We should standardise this to the only universally-available beer that is still drinkable, Guinness
  • I'm by no means tight at all, but fuck that paying some of the prices mentioned on this thread. A couple of months back me and the missus were in Bath for 2 nights, wandered into a pub around 2pm one afternoon and ordered a pint of Peroni and a G&T....£14.50....I politely told them no wonder their pub was empty!

Always got a stash of booze out in the shed/garage and it's no wonder we drink more at home now and have people round rather than go to the pub
  • £5.30 for a Pride by the river in Chiswick on Saturday. 
  • As an overseas reader who stopped drinking 3 years ago, this thread is absolutely astonishing!
  • Cloudworm said:
    As an overseas reader who stopped drinking 3 years ago, this thread is absolutely astonishing!
    There’s a lot of functioning alcoholics who will pay whatever it costs to avoid reality for an hour or two.
  • Problem is I find drinking at home soooo boring.
  • When I started work 1971 it was 15p a pint and I was on a tenner a week so that’s 66 pints. 
    Today at say a fiver a pint that equates to £330.00
    So you could say beer hasn’t quite caught up with pay. 
  • £7.50 for a Guinness at Lords last week. If you take the cup back you get a £1 back but the bastards shut the bar before the close of play 
  • Sponsored links:

• Last Autumn a pint of Brewdog IPA in The Chapel, Broadstairs, was 6.50. Two weeks ago in Wetherspoons, Canterbury, you could have got 2.5 pints of the same for that money – also Ruddles 1.79 (if you like that sort of thing). Expect W will put its prices up soon. We have 8 micros in Broadtairs/St. Peters and you can get a decent brew for 3.50. My wife had a 9 quid glass of Sauvignon Blanc down the front the other day. Apparently the rise in beer price is due to Barley shortage.

• The Owner of The Chapel is interesting.
  • One for the feeling old thread, but i remember the five pound pint thread on Charlton life!
  • edited June 2022
    A few posters have mentioned prices at gig venues. Me and my brother went to the Scala in Kings Cross the other week and they were punting out cans (yes cans) of red stripe for about 6 quid each! They also had a selection of craft cans available, as well as draft stuff, which I imagine was waaay more expensive. How can you justify that for a can ffs? They didn't even open them or poor it into a plastic cup lol

Edit. We still had three each though!
  • There's a lot of pubs owned by the 'Pubco' type companies ... Punch Taverns, Enterprise Inns/Ei, etc.

Many of these are run by tenants who are contracted as terms of their lease to buy their drinks ('wet sales') from the Pubcos - at far higher cost than can be bought on the open market. The tenant probably pays more for his beer than you pay in the supermarket.

The tenant landlord has all his overheads: high rent, high priced drinks contract, all the overheads of running a commercial building, staff etc .... no surprise many struggle to make a living.

Again, no surprise ..... these are often the pubs that charge the highest prices. The tenants are working for nothing otherwise.

• As I don't drink bitter can anyone say why it seems (based on the figures given here) that lager is so much more expensive. 
    Our tastebuds are relatively at their peak in our teens/early twenties, towards middle age they decline and we are unable to perceive taste as much.
    Speak for yourself...  ;):D
  • Gribbo said:
    As I don't drink bitter can anyone say why it seems (based on the figures given here) that lager is so much more expensive. 
    Would've agreed 15 odd years ago, but some of the lagers out nowadays are lovely.
    Yes - that's true, but somehow I feel Golfie is a Carling or Fosters man...  :s;):D  
  • My local micro pub in Newent Gloucestershire is my happy place ❤️
  • Acab said:
    When I started work 1971 it was 15p a pint and I was on a tenner a week so that’s 66 pints. 
    Today at say a fiver a pint that equates to £330.00
    So you could say beer hasn’t quite caught up with pay. 
    It certainly ain't caught up with your pay you earn a fortune. 
    See you Saturday. 
    You can buy the beers 🍺
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    YTS1978 said:
    A few posters have mentioned prices at gig venues. Me and my brother went to the Scala in Kings Cross the other week and they were punting out cans (yes cans) of red stripe for about 6 quid each! They also had a selection of craft cans available, as well as draft stuff, which I imagine was waaay more expensive. How can you justify that for a can ffs? They didn't even open them or poor it into a plastic cup lol

Edit. We still had three each though!
    You answered your own question with your edit.
    As long as desperate drinkers keep paying it they’ll keep charging it.
    How many places will survive the ‘cost of living crisis’? I suspect many people will just reprioritise stuff: aka still find the money for it- but that’s dependency for you.
    I know I’m negative but I just find peoples obsession with it remarkable, it’s quite surreal seeing the queues at the O2 to pay £7.50 a pint it was like a weird zombie apocalypse that someone had managed to monetise!
  • Gribbo said:
    As I don't drink bitter can anyone say why it seems (based on the figures given here) that lager is so much more expensive. 
    Would've agreed 15 odd years ago, but some of the lagers out nowadays are lovely.
    Yes - that's true, but somehow I feel Golfie is a Carling or Fosters man...  :s;):D  
    Now that should be something for him to moan about..
  • Cloudworm said:
    As an overseas reader who stopped drinking 3 years ago, this thread is absolutely astonishing!
    Same here, doubt its pound a pint in my old Student Union either. 
  • £3.45 for Timothy Taylor Landlord in The Peacock in Chesterfield. Luvvley Jubley
  • mendonca said:
    The Owner of The Chapel is interesting.
    Yes, It;s you ...
  • Tilmanstone Welfare Sports and Social club. £3.40 pint of Fursty Ferrett.
  • £4.80 Guinness in The Bugle, waiting for the big announcement. 
  • edited June 2022
    £5 for a Stella in the holiday Inn next to the tax payers stadium. 
  • Up until a few years ago I always thought Central London prices were high.
    But £6 a pint for Central London isn't that bad considering the rest of the country.
    Yes some of the beers are £8+ but it's the centre of London.
    As I said on another thread, stayed in Hythe last week and a pint and glass of pimms £18+ just  to look at the sea while you're having a drink.
    I think the glass of pimms wasn't much cheaper than if youd been in the bar at Selfridges in London.
    On our travels up north for the away games some boozers are £5+ for a pint.

• Don’t come to Boston - my trusty price converter tells me I regularly pay around £11.40 for an imperial pint. 

When I was over a couple of weeks ago, the bartender in Craft was mildly shocked when I insisted I still wanted a pint of something that was gonna cost me £13.50. Must have been good because I can’t remember what it was, but I know it was strong and delicious.