Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 8 quid pint is with us ...

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    most pubs will be shut soon was in the kings arms bexleyheath last thursday around 6 of us for pre bowling work drinks it was 7.30pm and there were 8 people in there including my crowd.

for context on pricing the barrowboy and banker london bridge saturday night was £44.60 for 6 pints 
    3 asahi 
    2 amstel 
    1 ipa - cant remember the name 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    I paid £44 for two large glasses of Savignon Blanc in Mayfair a few weeks back (The Audley).
    That is mental. I'd have told them to pour that wine back in the bottle and forget about it.
    I was having a drink before going to the restaurant next door…Scott’s. I won’t tell you how much lunch cost🥸
    Eyewatering was it!? Perhaps worthy of another thread altogether!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It's getting extortionate, but the problem is that we're the mugs that are paying it.
    Not me.
    Paid £3.19 for a pint in my local last night
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    mendonca said:
    It's getting extortionate, but the problem is that we're the mugs that are paying it.
    Not me.
     is your local a Tesco express? 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    mendonca said:
    Not me.

and was it a pint of milk?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    mendonca said:
    Not me.

Pint of Coors
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    mendonca said:
    Not me.

Pint of Coors
    Blimey!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    mendonca said:
    Not me.

Pint of Coors

so a large glass of water then ;-)
  • Options
    I was in The Red Lion in Westminster yesterday and paid £15 for two drinks. Then I saw a framed letter on the wall from Fullers Brewery congratulating the pub for taking £90+k in a week. Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
  • Options
    Off to Epsom races today and Sandown tomorrow, most pints will be £7.50.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    I paid £44 for two large glasses of Savignon Blanc in Mayfair a few weeks back (The Audley).
    Yeah but that's all relative, a large glass should be a 250ml measure, so a third of a bottle of wine. So an entire bottle of wine bought by the glass (the most expensive way) is £66, in a place in Mayfair, is actually very good going, as it suggests the whole bottle is only about £60
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I was in The Red Lion in Westminster yesterday and paid £15 for two drinks. Then I saw a framed letter on the wall from Fullers Brewery congratulating the pub for taking £90+k in a week. Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
    Revenue and margin are two very different things...
  • Options
    Got done £7.80 for a pint of lager in Penge, nice little craft taproom but still felt like a watershed moment
  • Options
    Got done £7.80 for a pint of lager in Penge, nice little craft taproom but still felt like a watershed moment
    Which one mate? I'm a Penge dweller although a non drinker these days. Still find myself dragged to watering holes even if I'm only on the water.
  • Options
    On the subject of prices sky rocketing, a first class stamp is going up to £1.25 next month.  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    £5.50 for Neck Oil in East Peckham (Kent). Average I suppose
  • Options
    Took a client out a few weeks back and we went to 'The Globe at Borough market. He went for Madri at £6.80. I clocked they had DEYA on and went for that, 'Steady Rolling Man 5.2%, £9.20 ffs! 

A pint of 'Hop Skip and Juice by Vocation is £6.70 in my local in West Yorkshire. Lovely drop though 5.7%. Currently on clubcard price £7 for 4 x 440mml. 
  • Options
    Which one mate? I'm a Penge dweller although a non drinker these days. Still find myself dragged to watering holes even if I'm only on the water.
    Place was called Craft Metropolis, would be surprised if they didn't do a decent non-alcoholic one as well.

Bonus was that you can order Yard Sale pizza there too.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    True to an extent - and you can't have margin without revenue - but from a punters perspective they are both exactly the same thing when it comes to bleeding customers to generate them.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    True to an extent - and you can't have margin without revenue - but from a punters perspective they are both exactly the same thing when it comes to bleeding customers to generate them.
    Yes, am not sure everybody will see it as a stat that they're proud of achieving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A pint of Ruddles ale in Wetherspoons Norman Wisdom in Deal yesterday cost me all of £1.89 and a very good ale too 
  • Options
    As a student in Southampton in the Mid 90's, the famous Clowns and Jesters did 50p pints every Monday.

I'm gladdened to hear that 30 years later its still £1 a pint.

Clowns was the "wine bar" upstairs and Jesters was the night club downstairs (although quite how the stairs passed any fire regulations I'll never know).

Even during the height of summer, when it hadn't rained for months, you would somehow stagger out of Jesters with trousers covered in mud.

As a student, I worked in Spiders nightclub Hull. Bells was 60p a shot, I just had a quick nose expecting it to have surpassed the quid barrier, no, it's 80p a shot. They do these weird homemade cocktails that are ridiculously cheap.

PINT COCKTAILS
    Pangalactic Gargleblaster
    Pernod, Splash of Galliano, Vodka, Blackcurrant, Orange and Cider on Ice
    £3.10
    Fluffy Duck
    Vodka, White Rum, Malibu, Advocaat and Lemonade on Ice
    £3.30
    Green Monster
    Vodka, White Rum, Malibu, Advocaat, Blue Bols, Midori and Lemonade on Ice
    £4.50
    Sweet Death
    Vodka, Southern Comfort, Peach Schnapps, Midori, Lime and Lemonade on Ice
    £4.20
    Kangaroo
    Double Vodka, Advocaat, Cider, Blackcurrant and Lemonade on Ice
    £3.30

HALF INT COCKTAILS
    Tyzer
    Vodka, White Rum, Blackcurrant and Lemonade on Ice
    £1.70
    Black Widow
    Double White Rum, Lime, Coke and a Jelly Worm on Ice
    £1.90
    Black Russian
    Vodka, Tia Maria and Coke on Ice
    £2.00
    Tarantula
    Pernod, Cider and Blackcurrant on Ice
    £1.60
    Green Gremlin
    Blue Bols and Cider on Ice
    £1.60
    Harvey WallBanger
    Vodka, Splash of Galliano and Orange on Ice
    £1.80
    Red Yeti
    Double Vodka and Red Devil Energy Drink
    £2.60
    Brown Bomber
    Brandy and Chocolate Milkshake on Ice
    £1.20
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    As a student in Southampton in the Mid 90's, the famous Clowns and Jesters did 50p pints every Monday.

I'm gladdened to hear that 30 years later its still £1 a pint.

Clowns was the "wine bar" upstairs and Jesters was the night club downstairs (although quite how the stairs passed any fire regulations I'll never know).

Even during the height of summer, when it hadn't rained for months, you would somehow stagger out of Jesters with trousers covered in mud.

As a student, I worked in Spiders nightclub Hull. Bells was 60p a shot, I just had a quick nose expecting it to have surpassed the quid barrier, no, it's 80p a shot. They do these weird homemade cocktails that are ridiculously cheap.

PINT COCKTAILS
    Pangalactic Gargleblaster
    Pernod, Splash of Galliano, Vodka, Blackcurrant, Orange and Cider on Ice
    £3.10
    Fluffy Duck
    Vodka, White Rum, Malibu, Advocaat and Lemonade on Ice
    £3.30
    Green Monster
    Vodka, White Rum, Malibu, Advocaat, Blue Bols, Midori and Lemonade on Ice
    £4.50
    Sweet Death
    Vodka, Southern Comfort, Peach Schnapps, Midori, Lime and Lemonade on Ice
    £4.20
    Kangaroo
    Double Vodka, Advocaat, Cider, Blackcurrant and Lemonade on Ice
    £3.30

HALF INT COCKTAILS
    Tyzer
    Vodka, White Rum, Blackcurrant and Lemonade on Ice
    £1.70
    Black Widow
    Double White Rum, Lime, Coke and a Jelly Worm on Ice
    £1.90
    Black Russian
    Vodka, Tia Maria and Coke on Ice
    £2.00
    Tarantula
    Pernod, Cider and Blackcurrant on Ice
    £1.60
    Green Gremlin
    Blue Bols and Cider on Ice
    £1.60
    Harvey WallBanger
    Vodka, Splash of Galliano and Orange on Ice
    £1.80
    Red Yeti
    Double Vodka and Red Devil Energy Drink
    £2.60
    Brown Bomber
    Brandy and Chocolate Milkshake on Ice
    £1.20
    Jesters famous cocktail was "The Jesticle". A pint of bright green stuff. not sure what was in it...
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    Turnover can go up massively whilst cash margin remains the same if selling prices rise in line with cost inflation, so higher revenue may be about survival rather than "bleeding". I think we would all agree that based on the number of pubs closing they aren't really ripping anyone off. They are just very expensive. 

I agree that its strange to be promoting a revenue turnover. I'm sure that certificate was for staff rather than customer eyes...
  • Options
    Having down a pub crawl in London tonight, I genuinely think depending on area most pubs in London can charge whatever the f*ck they like. If they’ve got a thing going on where they’re popular with people standing out on the street when the weather is nice like tonight, fill your boots. 

I covered about 20,000 steps tonight and everywhere was rammed. 
  • Options
    Having down a pub crawl in London tonight, I genuinely think depending on area most pubs in London can charge whatever the f*ck they like. If they’ve got a thing going on where they’re popular with people standing out on the street when the weather is nice like tonight, fill your boots. 

£10 in two years.
  • Options

People are happy to pay them prices.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    Turnover can go up massively whilst cash margin remains the same if selling prices rise in line with cost inflation, so higher revenue may be about survival rather than "bleeding". I think we would all agree that based on the number of pubs closing they aren't really ripping anyone off. They are just very expensive. 

I agree that its strange to be promoting a revenue turnover. I'm sure that certificate was for staff rather than customer eyes...
    That may well be so, as it certainly felt crass seeing such eyewatering numbers up on the wall. I bet their £10pph bar staff were delighted with it too.

https://www.breakroom.cc/en-gb/employers/fullers/pay