Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Options
    Was VAR used at all tonight?
    Made a nice change 
  • Options
    Was VAR used at all tonight?
    No
  • Options
    Great to see an ex Charlton player pick up another Champions League winning medal.
    A bit daft that teams can have their whole squad available, rather than say 18
  • Options
    Love the honesty of Grealish, to be fair I think he was a bit hard on himself as Inter to their credit gave him very little room with 2/3 on him most times and Haaland had the same issue but that leaves space for Rodri and what a goal he got.  
  • Options
    Must feel amazing for those fans who were @ Wembley in '99
    I was thinking similar. 
    Gillingham to CL winners. 
    Paul Dickov? 
    Genuinely pleased for City, doesn't seem that long ago that we stuffed them 4-0 at The Valley.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Wish we had 2 other good centre backs, imagine an england team playing the same formation as city tonight with a midfield/front line of

-------------- Stones - Rice
    Saka - Foden - Bellingham -Grealish
    ----------------------Kane
  • Options
    Wanted Inter. 

Don’t like City. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So pleased for Grealish, him and Rice are probably my favourite players at the minute.
    Good week for the pair of them.
    Grealish Kane Rice Stones Walker Foden Saka has there ever been a more likeable national team 
    And that list doesn’t include Rashford who is arguably more famous for feeding hungry kids than he is for football. 
  • Options
    At this rate Stones will be playing No 9 for City next season  :D
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Wish we had 2 other good centre backs, imagine an england team playing the same formation as city tonight with a midfield/front line of

Who is a world class centre back these days? Everyone decent seems to be in there 30's already I'd consider world class.

Just look at this list 
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/best-centre-backs-defenders-in-the-world
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Quite happy for Trent to play that Stones role with Stones at CB though. We really need to find a quality CB but other than the Italians, I would say that generally it’s not a particularly strong area in modern day football. Nowhere near the levels of 20 years ago 
  • Options
    Is Sergio now the ultimate John Terry?

Treble, world cup, 6 nations, Ryder Cup, where will he end up next?
  • Options
    Delighted for Stones, Grealish, Foden & Walker.

And as soon as they bought on Lukaku I knew it was City’s.
  • Options
    Lukaku played like he did for Belgium in the World Cup when he missed about 4 sitters. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Who is a world class centre back these days? Everyone decent seems to be in there 30's already I'd consider world class.

Just look at this list 

Dias, Saliba, Upamecano, Kim, all early to mid 20s from that list?
  • Options
    Alvarez has won a treble and the World Cup in the last 6 months. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Just look at this list 

Dias, Saliba, Upamecano, Kim, all early to mid 20s from that list?
    Would you put them in world class territory? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "The Harder I practice the luckier I get."
    Gary Player.

No Bull shit comments from Pep or any of the players last night, as after the marathon season with the World Cup shoehorned into the middle, a tired looking City just got over the line after achieving the richly deserved Treble which their sublime skill and hard yards deserved in 22/23.

After losing to Chelsea in the COVID 20/21 final and snatching defeat from the Jaws of Victory in the semi final 21/22 against Real Madrid, the fluidity was missing against the Italy masters of how to frustrate and close down in this final.

No masterclass on playing around, through and starving the opposition of the ball as City did against a lack lustre Real Madrid in the second leg of the semi final, who could never match the endeavours of Inter Milan in Turkey.

The winning and only goal was taken with aplomb by Rodrigo who had a record of 1 goal in every 10 for Man City to go with his 1 goal in 41 for Spain.

The great innovator Pep had Stones in a number 8 role after the ginger genius KDB succumbed to the hamstring injury that was being nursed over the last two months.

Great skill by Phil Foden who took advantage of Serendipity by nearly scoring a wonder goal but a weak shot ruined a potential 2nd goal for the blue Moonies.

Lewis, Palmer, Alvarez all waiting to play their part in 23/24.

An abundance of riches on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    As an aside from the football, I thought Jake Humphrey and Rio Ferdinand’s tribute to floor manager Mat Wayne was really respectful, touching and genuine. Humphrey was visibly and audibly fighting back his emotions.
    Wayne was my age. 52. RIP.
  • Options
    huge let down yet again for the Italian teams. 3 finals, no winners. 
    Thought Inter were poor. tactics were abysmal. Lukakeys missing sitters didn't help. Man city hobbled over the line. disappointed. 
  • Options
    I agree that Lukaku missed some decent chances but felt City struggled a bit to handle him and Inter were better when he was on.
  • Options
    One thing i liked was when they did a post-match interview with Haaland and they showed a clip of him as a kid training with a Balotelli City shirt on. 

Obviously the money helps, but the fact he obviously has an affection for City through his Dad might just help them to keep him a bit longer than expected before Madrid come after him.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Wanted Inter. 

Don’t like City. 
    You actually wanted a foreign club to beat an English one…..unbelievable Jeff.😠
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    One thing i liked was when they did a post-match interview with Haaland and they showed a clip of him as a kid training with a Balotelli City shirt on. 

Obviously the money helps, but the fact he obviously has an affection for City through his Dad might just help them to keep him a bit longer than expected before Madrid come after him.
    The days of Real Madrid being everyone’s go to bench mark are long since gone.
  • Options

The days of Real Madrid being everyone’s go to bench mark are long since gone.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/07/real-madrid-jude-bellingham-seal-initial-100m-deal-borussia-dortmund

Mbappe won't be far behind if, if not this summer, certainly the next one.

I would be shocked if Haaland never moves to Madrid.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leuth said:
    huge let down yet again for the Italian teams. 3 finals, no winners. 
    Thought Inter were poor. tactics were abysmal. Lukakeys missing sitters didn't help. Man city hobbled over the line. disappointed. 
    Their tactics were abysmal?! How else do you play it against City? They could have easily taken it to extra time. They got it tactically right 
    all they had to do was put a player on the wing who could cross the ball. overload that wing with two other players then you create chances against a feeble man city team. they didn't do that. and when they bothered to attack it was after they conceded a goal. their tactics were abysmal. 

but yeah they got it right.... who won the game in the end?...