Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Pre-Season Friendlies | Preview & Match Threads (Welling p59, Swansea p67 )

Comments

• Options
    cafc4life said:
    Anyone going to watch the under 23s at Deal today?
    Nothing on the new wonderful CAFC web site with under 23 fixtures- TS rubbish again
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    paulg1947 said:
    paulg1947 said:
    I didnt see any of the match, but reflecting on the obvious ,that we have a dearth of forwards, it 'beggars belief' that we sold Connor Washington .O K he was no poacher, or target man , but a forward never the less.  No wonder Euell left ,The lunatics continue to run the asylum, at Charlton
    Please keep up. We did not sell Conor Washington. He received a better offer from a Championship team. 
    So where was our determined and defining offer then? As i say the lunatics still run the asylum at Charlton .As for that goal. Get the boys to watch videos of top teams ,that play out from the back, under pressure.Its unerving, but pretty to watch, when done right.One clear observation from myself, who i admit never played any meaningful football ,is the ball is always direct to the feet, and along the ground, Even back to the keeper. Which that goal (Kilmanock) was not.
    “When done right” sums it up. Playing out from the back comes with risk, and even those at the pinnacle of the game get it wrong sometimes. We can fully expect to concede quite a few from playing this way as teams know how to press effectively, and if you lose possession you are in trouble.
    Direct to feet is only good if a player is stationary. 
    Washington left for a Championship team. Offering more money for a 30 yr old is like chasing a plastic ball out to sea. Pointless and dangerous.
    Any style is ineffective when it’s not done right. Going long loses the ball more often so you give the opposition more chances to attack and use up energy trying to win the ball back.

Playing a more attacking and modern style can only help us attract better players. The players we’re going for are often going to have plenty of options so it’s likely playing style will be a factor they’ll consider.
    Could not agree more. The long ball up is not even 50/50 in most situations and I hope we continue to try and play this way even when things go wrong. My worry is the number of fans who will be jumping up and down when the mistakes happen. You just know that every time it happens “he should have just got rid”, “safety first” will be levelled at the poor sap who cocks it up.
    Clubs will know what we will be trying to do and will be setting their own traps to mitigate its effectiveness and we will have to be brave as fans as well.
  • Options
    The point of pre season games is to get match fitness and an understanding of what the players around you can and will do and vice versa so you can hit the ground running from that very first match and not waste August and September games playing like you started to get fit the week before and have yet to introduce all the team to each other because you’ve been too busy walking and talking and posting videos of it and then changing half the team for the next match because it’s their fault and not yours.
    That's a bit harsh, I don't think we signed half the squad in the last few days because Nigel was too busy walking and they were just sat around waiting for him to get back......
  • Options
    Interesting to see adigun is there, I take it he has signed a new deal? Was supposedly out of contract this summer and quite highly rated by other clubs 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    3-1 Euan Williams
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Good to see the 1st half team and Kanu is fit and well and scoring for U23.

I would still have liked the question put to Ben Garner about Daniel Kanu and is he in your plans for the 1st team squad this season ?

Be a bit vague about the names of incoming transfers but surely transparency is ok with our young talent ?
  • Options
    O’Connor, Harvey, Ness, Mitchell, Anderson, Williams, Gavin, Ladapo and Reilly are the second half subs. Shortage of a couple of numbered shirts confusing the issue here.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    4-1 - best guess is it was Reilly got that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I would still have liked the question put to Ben Garner about Daniel Kanu and is he in your plans for the 1st team squad this season ?

Be a bit vague about the names of incoming transfers but surely transparency is ok with our young talent ?
    Will he have actually seen him play yet?
  • Options
    5-2
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    6-2 Harris O’Connor
  • Options
    I checked Transfermkt and there are two goalkeepers called Aaron Jones.

One is at AFC Wombles and is 18. The other now plays in the Welsh League and used to play for Everton. He is 22.

I wonder which one it is.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Had Garner seen Miles Leaburn play when he was included in the Spanish trip ?

Someone has surely told him we have a prolific scorer in our academy who smashed it in the U18'S, and has played for the U23 and scores.

Doing his pre season with his peer group is fine for Daniel Kanu and may be best to wait until September to put him in the first team squad as at least he will be at Cafc until January.
  • Options

We didn’t have 19 and 20 shirts. Hence my caution.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Had Garner seen Miles Leaburn play when he was included in the Spanish trip ?

Someone has surely told him we have a prolific scorer in our academy who smashed it in the U18'S, and has played for the U23 and scores.

Doing his pre season with his peer group is fine for Daniel Kanu and may be best to wait until September to put him in the first team squad as at least he will be at Cafc until January.
    I have no idea why Leaburn was selected, over another dozen candidates, we already had 3 options for the one up top on tour.

I am sure people have told him but unless he has seen him he can't make an informed decision if he is good enough or not, can he?

So my point is there isn't much point asking him if he will feature now, is there?
  • Options
    6-2 is a good first set for Charlton and some of these lads are the real deal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Given how Leaburn played yesterday, I wonder if he was selected over Kanu because of his ability to play out wide - Isnt Kanu more of a central Striker, and so had Davison and Stockley in front of him?
  • Options
    Given how Leaburn played yesterday, I wonder if he was selected over Kanu because of his ability to play out wide - Isnt Kanu more of a central Striker, and so had Davison and Stockley in front of him?

The games I watched the 18's Leaburn was central and Kanu played on the right but always got in the box when the play came down the Left. 
  • Options
    Hope all is well with Tyreece Campbell
  • Options
    Oguntayo fit/injured ?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Injured.
  • Options
    Nice set up at Deal. Kanu’s 60 yard run down the left for the 5th goal was different class. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Injured.
    Any idea how serious?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:
    Injured.
    Any idea how serious?
    Don’t know, but no reason to think it’s bad.
  • Options
    A sign of his relative decline that Barker didn't make the Spain squad, when Henry only got on yesterday playing right back.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!