Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Pre-Season Friendlies | Preview & Match Threads (Welling p59, Swansea p67 )

Comments

• Options
    A good work out against a team who are further down the line in terms of playing together and fitness levels. Understandably some players had to play out of position but that will change as we continue recruiting. 
    The three who I was concerned about before today are Davison, Gilbey and Morgan. Of those Morgan looked as though he may benefit from Garner but I wouldn't be unhappy if he was moved on. Never really rated Davison and don't think he is L1 standard and certainly not in a squad that should be aiming for a top six spot. Regarding Gilbey I really think we can and should be looking at better. So for me all three to go which will free up much needed spaces. Would replace those 3 with an attacking midfielder and a goal poacher leaving an additional squad space free.

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Gilbey should be the one surplus to requirements
    Today was textbook. Aside from sloppiness in possession and utter ineffectiveness in attack, this was a case study in how he hides from being available for the ball in positions where he can play forward passes, and then makes himself available when the option is a five-yard wall-pass, achieving nothing. Watching him play is fucking torture 
    You have this weird obsession with the Albie vs Gilbey debate.  Neither are going to be starting for us this year and neither were the problem today.  The problem today was how uncomfortable our defense in the second half looked, the lack of depth at the wide positions such that we had to play Henry, Leaburn and Egbo out of position and the lack of finishers up front
    I don't think that's accurate. As far as I can tell Leuth isn't flying the flag for Morgan, he just can't stand Gilbey.
    BTW for those of us who weren't watching, do we have a consensus on what position the players were playing in the first and second half?
    Yes:

First half:
    RB: Clare
    CB: Deji
    CB: Bones
    LB: Claydon

MC: Morgan
    MC: JFC

RW: CBT
    10: Aneke
    LW: DJ

CF: Davisson

Second Half:
    RB: Henry
    CB: Lavelle
    CB: Inniss
    LB: Egbo

MC: Dobson
    AMC: Gilbey
    AMC: Fraser

RW: Leaburn
    LW: Kirk

CF: Stockley
    Ben Davisson hasn't been with us for years. Josh Davison though... 
  • Options
    No injuries was the other big positive after the last few seasons. 
  • Options
    A ball playing goalie needs to do a bit better than that with their first touch!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No names on our shirts.
    To the tune of Three Lions?
    they couldn't even get a set of socks out there, so no chance of any shirt printing being done ;)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No names on our shirts.
    To the tune of Three Lions?
    they couldn't even get a set of socks out there, so no chance of any shirt printing being done ;)
    Not a fan of those lyrics...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    paulg1947 said:
    I didnt see any of the match, but reflecting on the obvious ,that we have a dearth of forwards, it 'beggars belief' that we sold Connor Washington .O K he was no poacher, or target man , but a forward never the less.  No wonder Euell left ,The lunatics continue to run the asylum, at Charlton
    Please keep up. We did not sell Conor Washington. He received a better offer from a Championship team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ... Charlton Nil.

In the immortal words of Jim Davison.
  • Options
    There is a really irritating loud bird on the stream now!!
    Magpie?
  • Options
    Didn’t watch and won’t bother until the home game which I’ll go to.  Really doesn’t mean too much just a chance for Garner to see players in an (almost) competitive game.  I remember previous crap pre-seasons where we’ve gone on to do really well and pre-seasons where we’ve won or drawn most and had terrible seasons.  Hopefully we’ve got 4 or 5 to join yet and just one player could change everything!
  • Options
    Still think we need a goal poacher 
  • Options
    ...but it really doesn't matter though 
    Exactly. Next it’ll matter when one team loses a 5-a-side drill in training 
  • Options
    ...but it really doesn't matter though 
    Well, it does if you then want to say its been a perfect week. 
  • Options
    I'm just trying to work out how I can blame Martin Sangaard 
    Great news - you don't need a reason! Just make some unfunny comment about something something hard shot and move on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Egbo, does something bad.
    ITS THE FIRST GAME OF PRESEASON Aaarrrraaffgghhhghhhsjdhjebdjsj fuck you

Gilbey, does something bad.
    FUCKING SELL THE CNUT CAN'T PERFORM AGAINST KILMARNOCK RUINED OUR SEASON Aararrraggghhhghhhh fuck you. 
    Probably because Egbo has played 45 minutes for us whilst Gilbey has done 2 years (badly).

Morgan - new coach, new style, clean slate, HIS SEASON HAS COME
    Stockley - Garner will re-invent  Stockley, ITS WHAT GOOD COACHES DO

Gilbey - Too old, too crap, FINISH HIM
    I’m not sure that’s reflective of what’s actually been posted but okay.  
  • Options
    I think we can all agree, we need to add about 10% more intensity to training.
  • Options
    Still think we need a goal poacher 

As we haven't replaced Conor Washington yet that is a Shay Given. 
  • Options
    So the general feeling is we haven't replaced Washington with a like for like.  Last year the problem was we played Washington wide in a front 3.

Where is this Washington replacement going to play? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    So the general feeling is we haven't replaced Washington with a like for like.  Last year the problem was we played Washington wide in a front 3.

Where is this Washington replacement going to play? 
    Possibly it's fairer to say we haven't actually replaced Washington at all. Not necessarily a like for like needed but we have three established strikers and one is Chuks so an extra body up front certainly won't hurt.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    paulg1947 said:
    I didnt see any of the match, but reflecting on the obvious ,that we have a dearth of forwards, it 'beggars belief' that we sold Connor Washington .O K he was no poacher, or target man , but a forward never the less.  No wonder Euell left ,The lunatics continue to run the asylum, at Charlton
    Please keep up. We did not sell Conor Washington. He recieved a better offer from a Championship team. 
    Having received no offer from us
    He told someone at Bexleyheath Golf Club that Charlton were not prepared to renew his contract on the same terms. 

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Goal was a poor one to concede but it’s only pre season and it’s the minutes in legs that matter.

In terms of improving and making sure it doesn’t happen again…

- Lavelle shouldn’t be passing it to a full back who has already been closed down. You’re asking for a turn over when you do that. Better to turn and give it back to the keeper.
    - Egbo needs to be careful with how much weight he’s putting on a pass back to the keeper (least to blame IMO, better to be slightly over hit than under hit)
    - Wollacott needs to be better positioned to receive the pass back from Egbo. Pointing out his first touch is obvious but being more centrally positioned instead of getting sucked towards the ball would’ve given him more time to take the ball down and redistribute it the other way.

• Options
    Anyone know if we can recall AMB? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    aliwibble said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Gilbey should be the one surplus to requirements
    Today was textbook. Aside from sloppiness in possession and utter ineffectiveness in attack, this was a case study in how he hides from being available for the ball in positions where he can play forward passes, and then makes himself available when the option is a five-yard wall-pass, achieving nothing. Watching him play is fucking torture 
    You have this weird obsession with the Albie vs Gilbey debate.  Neither are going to be starting for us this year and neither were the problem today.  The problem today was how uncomfortable our defense in the second half looked, the lack of depth at the wide positions such that we had to play Henry, Leaburn and Egbo out of position and the lack of finishers up front
    I don't think that's accurate. As far as I can tell Leuth isn't flying the flag for Morgan, he just can't stand Gilbey.
    BTW for those of us who weren't watching, do we have a consensus on what position the players were playing in the first and second half?
    Yes:

First half:
    RB: Clare
    CB: Deji
    CB: Bones
    LB: Claydon

MC: Morgan
    MC: JFC

RW: CBT
    10: Aneke
    LW: DJ

CF: Davisson

Second Half:
    RB: Henry
    CB: Lavelle
    CB: Inniss
    LB: Egbo

MC: Dobson
    AMC: Gilbey
    AMC: Fraser

RW: Leaburn
    LW: Kirk

CF: Stockley
    Ben Davisson hasn't been with us for years. Josh Davison though... 
    I know Ben- great guy. 

Chucks behind Stockley inspires thoughts of high pressing football .  
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!