Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Pre-Season Friendlies | Preview & Match Threads (Welling p59, Swansea p67 )

Comments

• Options
    Garner will not want to start the season picking players who's strengths don't lie in the positions they're required to play to suit the system. I predict more comings and goings in July, which should be "Get your sh*t together month" for Ben & the boys.
  • Options
    Sounds like we wanted a left back & a finisher.

# just saying  

• Options
    Wollacott reminded me a little of Thuram. I don't think first choice keeper will be a 50/50 choice. But it was only half a game.
  • Options
    Enjoyed watching that. A good work out in the mid day Spanish heat against a fitter side and good to see two different patterns of play in each half.

We got bodies in their box much better in the first half. 2nd half we got the ball out to Charlie Kirk well but Fraser, Dobson, Gilbey and Leaburn were all a bit tentative getting forward.

I think it’s glaringly obvious where we need players and what needs work, but all in all this seems to have been a successful trip.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's a clear back 3 there but then both wing backs were well advanced.  Confused but interged. 

When a back 3 is played the idea is your wings backs get forward in attacking mode other wise you end up as 5 at the back ?

When I typed that Clare, Deji and O'Connell were knocking it back and forth across our penalty area, CBT was in the opposition half and Clayden?  Who knows you couldn't see that touch line because of the camera angle.

If I had to put a label on the first half formation I would say it was a very lopsided 433.  CBT was certainly not playing wing back, neither was Clayden.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't see the match as out this morning, just watched the 3 minutes high lights on the OS, and looked like we created a few good openings, but failed on the finishing front unfortunately, and what a stupid naive back pass for their goal. Ben sounded positive, and we matched them in fitness considering they are three weeks into their pre season.
    So onto Dartford,.. B)
  • Options
    Wollacott reminded me a little of Thuram. I don't think first choice keeper will be a 50/50 choice. But it was only half a game.
    Didn’t like his preference for punching rather than catching. Mostly just gives it back to the opposition.
  • Options
    Didn’t like his preference for punching rather than catching. Mostly just gives it back to the opposition.
    I didn't like the save he made. That has to go wide rather than central.
  • Options
    GIlbey wasn't great but wasn't crap either today.
    Not really sure how you can be classed as great, crap or average in a pre season knock about.
    On that basis how does a team manager judge the players,if preseason games are just a knock about.
  • Options
    Not watched the game as an on holiday, but mildly interesting that the second half lineup which many were more excited by, seemed to do worse than the first half one.
  • Options
    Good early assessment there @seth plum - Cant really argue with any of that.

I think I was more disappointed (in pre-season terms) that Egbo was on the left, rather than his performance as he's one I'm most excited to see from the new signings - But then that'll change across the next three games.

Will be surprised if Miles Leaburn gets loaned out this term, reckon he'll have a year in the U23s first.

Really hope that Clayden and Henry get some minutes against QPR and then go out on loan to League Two in September.
  • Options
    If Wollacott had not made that mistake I wonder if people would be so down on his performance.

It's easy for us to say Macca will be first choice after that (and I was impressed with what I saw from him). But on the flip side we were totally dominant that half, and he didn't have a save to make - which Wollacott obviously did and did well when called upon. 

Will have to see more of him moving forwards to make any sort of judgement. But I think it will only be good for the club if we have both Wollacott and MacGillivray competing for that number one spot.  
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Said to myself that players will need time to settle, adapt to a new style of play etc. but after this result, that's me done with Charlton.
    Same for me. Why we aren’t winning 12-0 in our first pre-season game in the boiling heat is beyond me. We’ve got a new manager and some new players - they have had more than long enough to settle in and play the new system. It’s that fucking new kits fault. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Egbo, does something bad.
    ITS THE FIRST GAME OF PRESEASON Aaarrrraaffgghhhghhhsjdhjebdjsj fuck you

Gilbey, does something bad.
    FUCKING SELL THE CNUT CAN'T PERFORM AGAINST KILMARNOCK RUINED OUR SEASON Aararrraggghhhghhhh fuck you. 
    Probably because Egbo has played 45 minutes for us whilst Gilbey has done 2 years (badly).
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Gilbey should be the one surplus to requirements
    Today was textbook. Aside from sloppiness in possession and utter ineffectiveness in attack, this was a case study in how he hides from being available for the ball in positions where he can play forward passes, and then makes himself available when the option is a five-yard wall-pass, achieving nothing. Watching him play is fucking torture 
    You have this weird obsession with the Albie vs Gilbey debate.  Neither are going to be starting for us this year and neither were the problem today.  The problem today was how uncomfortable our defense in the second half looked, the lack of depth at the wide positions such that we had to play Henry, Leaburn and Egbo out of position and the lack of finishers up front
     There was no problem today, it was our first pre-season game and the lads were under a new manager, playing a new style, with a few out of position. 

Personally think too many are looking too deeply at this. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Today was textbook. Aside from sloppiness in possession and utter ineffectiveness in attack, this was a case study in how he hides from being available for the ball in positions where he can play forward passes, and then makes himself available when the option is a five-yard wall-pass, achieving nothing. Watching him play is fucking torture 
    You have this weird obsession with the Albie vs Gilbey debate.  Neither are going to be starting for us this year and neither were the problem today.  The problem today was how uncomfortable our defense in the second half looked, the lack of depth at the wide positions such that we had to play Henry, Leaburn and Egbo out of position and the lack of finishers up front
    I don't think that's accurate. As far as I can tell Leuth isn't flying the flag for Morgan, he just can't stand Gilbey.
    BTW for those of us who weren't watching, do we have a consensus on what position the players were playing in the first and second half?
  • Options
    Egbo, does something bad.
    ITS THE FIRST GAME OF PRESEASON Aaarrrraaffgghhhghhhsjdhjebdjsj fuck you

Gilbey, does something bad.
    FUCKING SELL THE CNUT CAN'T PERFORM AGAINST KILMARNOCK RUINED OUR SEASON Aararrraggghhhghhhh fuck you. 
    Probably because Egbo has played 45 minutes for us whilst Gilbey has done 2 years (badly).

Morgan - new coach, new style, clean slate, HIS SEASON HAS COME
    Stockley - Garner will re-invent  Stockley, ITS WHAT GOOD COACHES DO

Gilbey - Too old, too crap, FINISH HIM
  • Options
    If Wollacott had not made that mistake I wonder if people would be so down on his performance.

It's easy for us to say Macca will be first choice after that (and I was impressed with what I saw from him). But on the flip side we were totally dominant that half, and he didn't have a save to make - which Wollacott obviously did and did well when called upon. 

Will have to see more of him moving forwards to make any sort of judgement. But I think it will only be good for the club if we have both Wollacott and MacGillivray competing for that number one spot.  
    I have tried not to let the mistake sway me. It was other aspects that didn't convince.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    aliwibble said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    I don't think that's accurate. As far as I can tell Leuth isn't flying the flag for Morgan, he just can't stand Gilbey.
    BTW for those of us who weren't watching, do we have a consensus on what position the players were playing in the first and second half?
    Keeping it very simple...

Goalkeeper: Wollacott and Macca
    Left-Back: Egbo and Clayden (LWB)
    Centre-Backs: Inniss | Clare | Elerewe | O'Connell | Lavelle
    Right-Back:  Henry and CBT (RWB)
    Midfield: Fraser | Gilbey | JFC | Dobson | Morgan
    Wingers: Kirk | Leaburn | DJ
    Behind the Striker: Aneke
    Striker: Davison | Stockley
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Yes:

First half:
    RB: Clare
    CB: Deji
    CB: Bones
    LB: Claydon

MC: Morgan
    MC: JFC

RW: CBT
    10: Aneke
    LW: DJ

CF: Davisson