Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Pre-Season Friendlies | Preview & Match Threads (Welling p59, Swansea p67 )

Comments

• Options
    Disgraceful from Stockley not passing to Leaburn then. 
  • Options
    Woolacott has made MacGillivray look very good this half. 
  • Options
    Anyone still got Jason Euells number.😩
  • Options
    Good to see Charlton back playing again as a whole.

Positives
     - Inniss didnt get injured, and looked solid
     - Scott Fraser appears to be showing the type of promise we thought we were signing in January
     - Garner has hopefully learnt more from making the mistakes, than had we won 3-0

Negatives
     - The goal
     - Wollacott looks like he'll be number two this season
     - We're looking to create the perfect goal, rather than just leather it at the Goalkeeper
     - Gilbey along with Davison have been the weak links today.

Few neutral thoughts as well, as think it would be harsh to call Leaburn a negative, but dont think he's ready for First-Team Football as yet... Aaron Henry too could probably do with a League Two loan next season, but would like to see him involved with pre-season a little longer before making a final assessment.

Felt that Kirk impressed more today than he did during last season, a few signs of showing his talent... But a bit like DJ can really drift in and out of the game at times, and doesnt have the defensive capabilities that DJ does have.
  • Options
    All I’ll say is Karel Fraeye wouldn’t have lost this one 😉
  • Options
    Fraser and Kirk the only two who impressed at all second half
  • Options
    First half looked very encouraging. Second half we were very disjointed. Given Kilmarnock are 3 games ahead of us, I'd say we did reasonably well.

Only real negative for me (other than the goal) was Woolacott looking pretty average.
  • Options
    the thing learnt from that second half team is they have a lot of work to do . before any of them would have a chance of starting against Accrington.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stark difference between first and second half team. First half team so, so much more comfortable on the ball, Fraser and maybe Egbo (ignoring his ricket) aside. Lavelle and Inniss especially floundering where Elewere and O'Connell glid
  • Options
    I know the game was delayed but is rushing off straight to the airport really the best recovery from the first 45 minutes of preseason? 
  • Options
    Good workout. Plenty of chances and Garner’s style of play already coming through. O’Connell the best of the new boys. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Killie look good value at 7/2.
    Easy money.
  • Options
    Davidsons fault that lose if he had scored in first half 🤪
  • Options
    Lot's of positives, players will take time getting use to the style.. I like the way we are trying to play football - mistakes will happening during the season.. We didn't look sharp in front of goal, missed 2 or 3 very good chances within the 6 yard box basically. 
    O'Connell looks very good, leading from the back, calm on the ball, and could pick a pass.. Could be signing of the season!
    CBT is going to be a big player for us this year, if playing in that position and we can keep hold of him, he needs to be scoring 15 goals. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were by far the better team in the first half and they were the better side in the second. Hard to criticise a player in the first but only Kirk and Fraser did decently in the second as you say. Early days but not sure Wollacot is my type of keeper. Egbo playing out of position but Clayden looks a better left back.

Positives were CBT, and Aneke looking good. Midfield dominated them in first half and JFC and Morgan deserve credit. O'Connell looked comfortable on the ball. We need to sort out the full back positions and bring a striker in as a priority. With McGrandles, midfield is ok.
  • Options
    A few way too early predictions for this season.  1 Lavelle andInnis do not look comfortable with the ball at their feet.  Don’t be surprised if Deji ends up starting 2) there is going to be a real competition for who the starting GK will be 3) CBT and Kirk can create for others given they have less defensive responsibilities this year but can they score?  We need them too.  Otherwise too much reliance on Stockley. I am not certain they can.  Wouldn’t surprise me if one of them starts and we bring in a wide forward who is less of a creator and more of a finisher. 4) with Dobson, mcgrandles, fraser and JFC.  Our midfield 3 feels pretty strong.  When Albie and Gilbey are our 5th or 6th midfielder, then we are pretty deep in the position. 5) gallen - please go get us some fullbacks
  • Options
    Thought Morgan looked good, maybe he's starting to learn the deeper role a bit
  • Options
    I'm just trying to work out how I can blame Martin Sangaard 
    Blew the budget on the bloody woman's team that’s the trouble..
  • Options
    Get us a left back. they should not have released Purrington if they had no LB in mind. Also find a decent center forward ,  we need cover in that position. Another more mobile CB would be good.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Enjoyed watching that. Stream worked well and on the whole thought we looked decent value for it being our first ‘competitive’ run out. 

Plenty of food for thought for the coaching staff. From what I saw I feel like 4-3-3 is the way to go currently to get Kirk and CBT both up in attacking positions. Though that being said, was much more comfortable with our passing with 3 at the back. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!