Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Pre-Season Friendlies | Preview & Match Threads (Welling p59, Swansea p67 )

Comments

• Options
    Great burst forward by Clare, but crap pass to CBT
  • Options
    Not watching & not that bothered about performances at this stage. These games are just to get minutes into your legs & to get back into the swing of things. 

True, but it’s interesting to see how players are used and whether there comfortably in the style. For example, I am not sure how DJ fits into our style, but I can see how Deji will get game time as he looks calm and comfortable with the ball at his feet.
  • Options
    Maybe it is just me, but I feel like JFC has an issue where he likes to drift out quiet wide on the left.
    I’m not a massive fan if I’m honest, I wasn’t bothered when he was leaving and whilst we had a duty of care after he was injured, I wouldn’t have given him a contact 
    With our current options in midfield he wouldn't be in my first XI, but I rate him, as I think he is technically very good on the ball.

I am just not sure about his positioning. It could be tactical, but his first game back under JJ last season he was sometimes back next to the left back. Would much prefer to see him picking up the ball in central positions because that's where I think he is best.

• Options
    Looking pretty good first half. 
    Quite enjoyable so far 👌 
  • Options
    For anyone watching.  What formation are we playing?? Apologies if already mentioned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Half time, Charlton had the better chances. Dead ball delivery still a concern . Killi being quite physical for a friendly, Morgan clattered a couple of times.
  • Options
    Good first half and a lot of positive signs.

O’Connell confident passing out from the back, Chuks looks good in midfield, Elerewe has bulked up a bit, CBT causing the most problems as usual, the midfield of JFC/Morgan are knocking it about nicely. All in all we’re moving the ball quickly and look like a decent side.

Only real negative is Davison just isn’t good enough. As already mentioned he needs moving on permanently.
  • Options
    For anyone watching.  What formation are we playing?? Apologies if already mentioned.
    Looks like its a 3-5-1-1 almost.

Macca
    Clare - Elerewe - O'Connell

Is the back line.

Morgan and Forster-Caskey are playing in the centre with Clayden and CBT as wing backs, but CBT has been playing very high - Davison is almost playing as sole Striker, with Aneke behind him, they've certainly not been playing alongside each other.
  • Options
    well not certain i saw any change in style of play. Still concerned about our backs playing the ball out under pressure, they and keeper looked very uncomfortable. Most effective player during this half Blacket-Taylor. Aneke played the number 10 role well.
    Jayasemi still a headless chicken.
  • Options
    Was wondering why McGrandles looked so depressed in that video and then he explained it at the end... He watches Scottish Football
  • Options
    Enjoyable first half - Unfortunate not to be ahead, but more interested in the players getting minutes into their legs.

Positives:
     - Corey Blackett-Taylor looks like he's going to give Full-Backs nightmares
     - Nice patient build up play; Garner-Ball looks well on the way to being introduced.
     - Been impressed with Macca's distribution
     - Charles Clayden has looked comfortable at Wing-Back

Negatives
     - We're going to have to accept the risk of being pressed if we dither at the back.
     - Josh Davison is probably the one out there who isnt convincing me.
     - Even 45mins could be too much for Chuks
     - The co-commentator!!
    Agree with this.

On being pressed at the back though, I think on the whole we are going to want that to happen as it will give us more opportunity to break through the lines. But we will have to accept that there will be occasions when the opposition press well, and that we will make mistakes through it.

Not that our defence was tested but I liked what I saw from O'Connell he look very calm and unfussed.

• Options
    I originally thought we was playing a 4-2-3-1 but we switch to a back 3 when playing out and get Clayden to lap further forward to create overloads. 

Aneke in the 10 has been positive as his touch and calmness on the ball spraying out passes then joining the attack. 

CBT and DJ as inverted wingers cutting in with pace has really caused problems, but sadly Davison hasn't been at it even just keeping the ball under control. 

Morgan and JFC have both come deep to collect and play the ball has been pleasing to see as well.

Really like the look of O'Connell though could be a key player this season.
  • Options

Macca

Is the back line.

Morgan and Forster-Caskey are playing in the centre with Clayden and CBT as wing backs, but CBT has been playing very high - Davison is almost playing as sole Striker, with Aneke behind him, they've certainly not been playing alongside each other.
    Thanks, interesting to see if he changes it second half.  

What position does Leaburn play is he winger or forward?
  • Options
    I have enjoyed seeing good old JFC playing.
    Good to see Clare back and playing.
    I think the criticism of Davison is a little bit harsh, he is not a wonderful player but there is an honesty about him that I quite like.
    Worth remembering how young Deji is, i think he will make it as a footballer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought maybe we were playing 3-4-2-1.

Macca
    Claire-Deji-O'Connell
    CBT-Morgan-JFC-Clayden
            Aneke-DJ
            Davison
  • Options
    Could do without the soft rock. Yuk. 
  • Options
    I thought maybe we were playing 3-4-2-1.

Macca
    Claire-Deji-O'Connell
    CBT-Morgan-JFC-Clayden
            Aneke-DJ
            Davison
    I think its a positive we don't really know.  It was more fluid than unorganised chaos. 

I don't think it was symmetrical which is what has caused confusion, as it did in the first half at Sunderland. 
  • Options
    Hooray, football rather than Metallica 
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Macca

Is the back line.

Thanks, interesting to see if he changes it second half.  

What position does Leaburn play is he winger or forward?
    He's out wide today, but think he can play both
    Enjoyable first half - Unfortunate not to be ahead, but more interested in the players getting minutes into their legs.

Positives:
     - Corey Blackett-Taylor looks like he's going to give Full-Backs nightmares
     - Nice patient build up play; Garner-Ball looks well on the way to being introduced.
     - Been impressed with Macca's distribution
     - Charles Clayden has looked comfortable at Wing-Back

Negatives
     - We're going to have to accept the risk of being pressed if we dither at the back.
     - Josh Davison is probably the one out there who isnt convincing me.
     - Even 45mins could be too much for Chuks
     - The co-commentator!!
    Agree with this.

On being pressed at the back though, I think on the whole we are going to want that to happen as it will give us more opportunity to break through the lines. But we will have to accept that there will be occasions when the opposition press well, and that we will make mistakes through it.

Not that our defence was tested but I liked what I saw from O'Connell he look very calm and unfussed.

Yeah O'Connell probably impressed the most as a result, the videos we saw when he signed suggested that he'll be the best at playing out from the back - But he equally had that experience to just get rid of it in sensible fashion, rather than a panicked hoof
  • Options
    Interested to see how Kirk does in the second half. Might tell us a lot about his motivation and his chances of staying with us.
  • Options
    How has Jayden not scored there! Nice from Kirk in the build up
  • Options
    How he hell did Stockley not just score... Great play from Kirk
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!