Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    Cantersaddick, Am I a boomer as I was born in ‘53. ‘76 was a long hot summer with a continuous drought from mid May from memory, whilst the temperature wasn’t as hot as now, the drought and associated fun of the government suggesting sharing a bath with a friend made it memorable to most of us in our 20’s. I worked in Croydon and passed Thornton Heath which was alight under ground for 6 months, we had a standpipe outside our house, where you could fill your kettle up from or your bath if you were enthusiastic or in love. 

It’s memorable to me for 3 reasons (these are listed in order of importance) in cricket I got my first five for, secondly I scored my first 50, and lastly I got engaged. Whilst on the cricket theme it was a very wet early season and we recorded our most rained off games in a season. Have a good day losing your shit as you so elegantly put it, and I think up the boomer might be appropriate. 😀. 

Oh and the winter of ‘63 was good as well, but perhaps that’s for a more appropriate day.
    I'm not denying it was memorable. But its the same argument as with covid anecdotes does not equal scientific fact. 

As I said it was clearly much more prolonged which will have had other impacts but in terms of peaks it was nowhere near (not even in the top 10 recorded) and it was incredibly localised as the charts I posted showed so the global impact of it on the climate would have been much more minimal.

I more focusing towards people who are using their memories of 1976 as some kind argument that climate change isnt happening.

Not everyone who was born in the boomer generation falls into the "boomer" category. Some are incredibly progressive in their views and try to understand the concerns of the generations that they brought into the world. Others simply do not which infuriates the younger generations because it was the boomer generation that oversaw the biggest accumulation of wealth in history whilst also systematically destroying the environment and leaving mountains of public debt and little to no economic opportunities for their own children.
    Nothing like a sweeping generalisation regarding a generation - useful to have someone to blame. 
  • Options
    Cantersaddick, Am I a boomer as I was born in ‘53. ‘76 was a long hot summer with a continuous drought from mid May from memory, whilst the temperature wasn’t as hot as now, the drought and associated fun of the government suggesting sharing a bath with a friend made it memorable to most of us in our 20’s. I worked in Croydon and passed Thornton Heath which was alight under ground for 6 months, we had a standpipe outside our house, where you could fill your kettle up from or your bath if you were enthusiastic or in love. 

It’s memorable to me for 3 reasons (these are listed in order of importance) in cricket I got my first five for, secondly I scored my first 50, and lastly I got engaged. Whilst on the cricket theme it was a very wet early season and we recorded our most rained off games in a season. Have a good day losing your shit as you so elegantly put it, and I think up the boomer might be appropriate. 😀. 

Oh and the winter of ‘63 was good as well, but perhaps that’s for a more appropriate day.
    I'm not denying it was memorable. But its the same argument as with covid anecdotes does not equal scientific fact. 

As I said it was clearly much more prolonged which will have had other impacts but in terms of peaks it was nowhere near (not even in the top 10 recorded) and it was incredibly localised as the charts I posted showed so the global impact of it on the climate would have been much more minimal.

I more focusing towards people who are using their memories of 1976 as some kind argument that climate change isnt happening.

Not everyone who was born in the boomer generation falls into the "boomer" category. Some are incredibly progressive in their views and try to understand the concerns of the generations that they brought into the world. Others simply do not which infuriates the younger generations because it was the boomer generation that oversaw the biggest accumulation of wealth in history whilst also systematically destroying the environment and leaving mountains of public debt and little to no economic opportunities for their own children.
    Also their children are the snowflake millenials, so you can blame them for that "legacy" as well ;)
  • Options
    *Heatwave intensifies*

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    The problem is it's going to potentially be hotter than we've ever recorded here. 39°C in the middle of a city, wearing a suit or a uniform, whilst walking around a place full of concrete, tarmac, glass, steel and pollution feels much worse than 39°C whilst laying on a beach next to crystal clear waters in nothing but a pair of loose shorts with a cocktail in your hand
    I remember working with young Aussies and Saffers in London (when they'd just come over for the first time), who would laugh at how the Brits couldn't cope with any heat.

Until they experienced it themselves, after which they changed their tune  :D
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Hottest place in England yesterday - Nantwich!

Phew what a scorcher!
    You need to find a picture to go with this, and add a "Would Ya?" comment.  See, I'm getting the hang of this CL now! 😎
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited July 2022
    33.5 at midday.  Humidity 28%. 
    The station's highest temperature recorded was 37.4 on 31 July 2020 at 2:55pm.
    The station's lowest humidity recorded was 20% on a number of occasions the latest being 24 July 2012.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It'll be 23 degrees by Friday and nobody will care, the world will go on polluting and abusing the planets natural resources whilst hoping someone else will solve the looming climate crisis and people will be squabbling over something else. 
    fixed
    contradicted yourself lol..
  • Options
    35.3 and 24% humidity at 1pm.
  • Options

I am a boomer and yes, through starting my own business and selling it, buying property and investing wisely I have accumulated wealth. However when my wife and I depart this planet our wills will leave all of the above to our children.

My mum & dad lived in a council flat, we did not own a car, never had a regular holiday and when we did never abroad, and when they shuffled off all they left me was bills to pay.  

• Options
    Hex said:
    35.3 and 24% humidity at 1pm.
    Pull up a chair, crack open a beer and enjoy whatever the temp and humidity.
  • Options
    If you enjoy Test cricket, you're likely to enjoy @Hex's stats!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Blimey - let's hope that as part of your life there are no societal trends that you take part in that with the benefit of 30 - 50 years of hindsight could have been different.

I recall on another thread you were aghast that you might have to work hard at some point as your generation has had it harder than anything that's gone before (you haven't)...

You come across as a proper millennial snowflake.
    Its not about the mistakes but the attitude now even though the evidence has clearly shown it to be wrong. This thread has shown how any climate change deniers there are and that there are even more who are just indifferent. So they havent even used that benefit of hindsight theyve just stuck their head in the sand and carried on with the same damaging approach even when presented with evidence. I'm sure there will be things society does now that are looked on as wrong in the future but I hope that I for one will have the grace to admit it when faced with evidence and change my ways as much as possible. 

I have no idea what you are going on about in the bit in bold. I've had to work my arse off for everything I have and have managed to somehow buck the trend for my generation and be able to buy a house in my 20's. So good one mate. Doesn't stop me speaking up about the injustice that others are facing but sure happy to be a snowflake if thats the case.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Been sat in front of a fan all day as lucky enough to be WFH, curtains closed etc so not too hit at all, but just took some washing out to dry (think it should do that OK!).

Not sure anyone's mentioned it, but a bit hot, innit?
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    @Hex

Just so I can plan my the rest of my day out, at what time will Barnehurst explode?

mendonca said:
    If you enjoy Test cricket, you're likely to enjoy @Hex's stats!

About 3:50pm, during the Tea Break ....
  • Options
    Been sat in front of a fan all day as lucky enough to be WFH, curtains closed etc so not too hit at all, but just took some washing out to dry (think it should do that OK!).

Not sure anyone's mentioned it, but a bit hot, innit?
    They tell you they are a fan but you shold hear what they say behind your back.

I'll get me coat.  Although I don't need it, obvs.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    76 was a long warm summer, but not doesn't feature in one of the 10 hottest days in Met Office history

I remember being in Gravesend around that time sleeping at my nephews house, he had no curtains in his spare room bloody hot with the sun bearing down on me, got up and said my goodbyes was back in Eltham by around 10am.

• Options
    It'll be 23 degrees by Friday and nobody will care, the world will go on and people will be squabbling over something else. 
    No, they won’t.
  • Options
    I'm following the advice given to close all windows and doors, pull curtains and blinds etc and it does appear to be helpng so far 

I'm working from home today and the room faces south, has windows at either end and a patio door on the other wall, which is in the sun all day. Normally I would have a door open and the temperature often reaches over 30C when it is lower than that outside. Today with everything closed, a desk fan and tower fan on my back, the temperature is 29C. The outside thermometer which isn't in the sun yet is showing 35C.

• Options
    35.7 at 2pm with 22% humidity.
  • Options
    I'm following the advice given to close all windows and doors, pull curtains and blinds etc and it does appear to be helpng so far 

I'm working from home today and the room faces south, has windows at either end and a patio door on the other wall, which is in the sun all day. Normally I would have a door open and the temperature often reaches over 30C when it is lower than that outside. Today with everything closed, a desk fan and tower fan on my back, the temperature is 29C. The outside thermometer which isn't in the sun yet is showing 35C.

Probably won’t work tomorrow as night time temperature is to high. Prior to say around 9 am have all your doors and curtains opens in the rear. Open all your windows at the front at get a through draft going, the lower morning ambient will lower your room temperatures considerable. When the outside ambient is 3 or 4 degree lower shut the doors, curtains etc,. My garden is the same as yours and using this method the house temperature is normally 21 to 23c which slowly rises to around 26.