Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

1282930313234»

Comments

• Options
    It's pretty scary what's going on across Europe. 2nd year running to have something like this too. Only by luck of the jet stream that we aren't experiencing the same. 

Frequency of el nino events has always been something climate scientists have said would be a warning sign that things are getting real bad. 
    It’s terrible.  Italy beating its highest recorded temperature today by a full 2 degrees.  This is only going to get worse.  The thing I think is being missed or not made enough of is that it’s probably going to be very similar to when an elderly or young person gets sick.  They can go downhill very quickly.  Personally, I think that’s what we have here.  

It’s really depressing me to be honest.  
  • Options
    I was in Athens last week and it was brutal (death was coming for me at the Parthenon). In Rhodes now where it’s slightly better. Think it’s even worse in parts of Spain and Italy. 
  • Options
    One of the worst things I’ve read is the release of methane in the arctic as temperatures get warmer.  We can and we must do all we can to reduce carbon emissions, but as a result of our neglect, this is a direct result that we’re pretty powerless to do anything about.  I don’t know if anyone has read anymore on the subject, but it seems that once it gets into the atmosphere, there’s no stopping it.  

Next UN climate conference (for what it’s worth), is Nov/Dec this year in Dubai, and then COP 2024 is in Aus next year.  I’m typing this in the futile hope the last few years have hit home.  I highly doubt it in relation to action needed/action taken 

• Options
    cabbles said:
    One of the worst things I’ve read is the release of methane in the arctic as temperatures get warmer.  We can and we must do all we can to reduce carbon emissions, but as a result of our neglect, this is a direct result that we’re pretty powerless to do anything about.  I don’t know if anyone has read anymore on the subject, but it seems that once it gets into the atmosphere, there’s no stopping it.  

Next UN climate conference (for what it’s worth), is Nov/Dec this year in Dubai, and then COP 2024 is in Aus next year.  I’m typing this in the futile hope the last few years have hit home.  I highly doubt it in relation to action needed/action taken 

Helps with your question.

How long do greenhouse gases stay in the air? | Environment | The Guardian
  • Options
    The summer is getting hotter and hotter each year... The heat is becoming unbearable. I can't imagine living without air conditioning during this time of the year with temperatures between 28-35 every day. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Genuinely interested in the specific actions we must all take. I think many of us do stuff (recycling, reduced food waste, less meat in the diet etc etc.) but is that enough? 

I'd suggest some would advocate a ban things that many of us do - fly on holiday / on business, drive diesel cars, eat meat etc etc.

I'm not looking to respond and debate, but worth understanding what others that are clearly passionate about this think in terms of specific actions.  
  • Options
    Can we not just merge this with the JSO thread?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can we not just merge this with the JSO thread?
    Agree. We don't want to underplay the issue, but you're right. Having a keen interest in the subject, I'm never sure where to post as there are at least three related threads now, one of which is in the HoC area.

I think this article is relevant here, I hope.

Media reaction: Extreme weather hits world’s seven continents in July 2023 - Carbon Brief
  • Options
    34 in Rimini... sea breeze making it very bearable.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Corfu is tad too hot for me atm. Some very red folk around!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Genuinely interested in the specific actions we must all take. I think many of us do stuff (recycling, reduced food waste, less meat in the diet etc etc.) but is that enough? 

I'd suggest some would advocate a ban things that many of us do - fly on holiday / on business, drive diesel cars, eat meat etc etc.

I'm not looking to respond and debate, but worth understanding what others that are clearly passionate about this think in terms of specific actions.  
    It’s tough, that’s for sure.  Individually if we all do what we can then that’s a start, but when I said that I was speaking more as a collective.  That’s nigh on impossible without some sort of collective approach that seems so far off given political and national interests.  We’re talking some sort of revolutionary way of the human race changing its thinking.  

I would never want to dictate to people what they can and can’t do.  I mean, I own a car that uses unleaded petrol.  I am very interested in exchanging it for an electric, but that would mean finding at least 3k in part exchange.  I can limit my flying, but then I have a work trip to Vancouver next month.  Holidays.  Do I never leave this country again to go abroad? If I’m serious about doing my bit then yes, but how many people would ever do that.  It’s a complete mess 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I was in Athens last week and it was brutal (death was coming for me at the Parthenon). In Rhodes now where it’s slightly better. Think it’s even worse in parts of Spain and Italy. 
    Done the Parthenon this time last year.
    We was up the top by 10am and that was bad enough.
    How people were going up there at 12 / 1 o'clock is beyond me.
  • Options
    Went to the acropolis about 20 years ago and it was boiling when I was there. Stupid place to put it imo. 
    The maintenance ain't much better. 
    I wouldn't spend a week in there
  • Options
    Went to the acropolis about 20 years ago and it was boiling when I was there. Stupid place to put it imo. 
    The maintenance ain't much better. 
    I wouldn't spend a week in there
    If you did you’d have lost your marbles.
  • Options
    I spent a day in Death Valley as part of a west coast tour some years ago.I have never experienced anything like it,even coming out of the restaurant at 11pm it was over 100 f.If it has got hotter there now as reported it must be unbearable.
  • Options
    Saturday in Death Valley. And that's with a bit of cloud cover. 56.7 is the hottest ever recorded on Earth. We'll break that in the next 5 years, easy
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Saturday in Death Valley. And that's with a bit of cloud cover. 56.7 is the hottest ever recorded on Earth. We'll break that in the next 5 years, easy
    can we move day 4 of the test over there? we might get a result. The boundary might be a bit long though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

It's a good question 

As ever there is the issue of what individuals  can choose to do vs what governments legislate for 

Things like getting solar roof tiles onto all properties (surely a no brainer) and using public transport over private vehicles are often a hard choice for people to make due to cost/convenience etc. Getting those ideas actioned would require government interventions in the form of subsidies and taxes etc.

The idea that it is too expensive to save humanity is a ludicrous concept. 

In reality, I believe we need much more radical changes than the examples i have given above, many of which wouldn't be popular with people habituated to a frenzy of consumption and historical excess. Too hung over to dig right into that now, though :)
  • Options
    cabbles said:

It's a good question 

As ever there is the issue of what individuals  can choose to do vs what governments legislate for 

Things like getting solar roof tiles onto all properties (surely a no brainer) and using public transport over private vehicles are often a hard choice for people to make due to cost/convenience etc. Getting those ideas actioned would require government interventions in the form of subsidies and taxes etc.

In reality, I believe we need much more radical changes than the examples i have given above, many of which wouldn't be popular with people habituated to a frenzy of consumption and historical excess. Too hung over to dig right into that now, though :)
    We recently had solar panels installed via the KCC Solar Together scheme.  They reckon it gets you a one third reduction in price.
  • Options
    Needs to be made a standard requirement for newly constructed buildings asap

How much did it cost you, then? How long shouod it take to pay for itself?
  • Options
    Hex said:
    cabbles said:

It's a good question 

We recently had solar panels installed via the KCC Solar Together scheme.  They reckon it gets you a one third reduction in price.
    I hear that KC and the Sunshine Band are proponents of solar panels too  B)

• Options
    Give it up.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Give it up.
    Rick Astley would never 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Highly recommend this book: 

SOS
    What You Can Do to Reduce Climate Change – Simple Actions that Make a Difference
    By Seth Wynes · 2019

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/SOS/DNabDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Incredibly easy to read and well written. Covers micro action that we as individuals can take and shows the impact they can have on the bigger picture. Talks about travel, consumer decisions, voting, household swaps. Everything. But uses science and analysis to show that these small actions can have a large impact on the bigger picture.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

It's a good question 

You're not wrong about governments and international changes being needed as well as large corporation's getting onboard. But (and the book I recommended above covers this) but what people do in their small decisions will feed through to governments and corporations. If its a factor that you think about in your purchasing decisions - is this sustainably sourced, is it from recycled materials, how much waste will this produce etc. then the corporations will follow where the demand goes. If its a factor in your voting decisions the political parties policies will follow the opinion.

We cant sit and wait for them to lead the way we need to show them where we want them to go. 
  • Options
    Needs to be made a standard requirement for newly constructed buildings asap

How much did it cost you, then? How long shouod it take to pay for itself?
    It cost £10k for 14 panels plus 3.2kW battery.  We moved recently so have no idea on when it will have paid for itself.  You'd need a crystal ball on energy prices in any case.  At my age we have done it for the planet but it will help to charge our EV when we get one next year.
  • Options
    recently up here in sunny Lincs it's been almost cold and autumnal enough to justify putting on the heating