Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    I have searched South East Water website and cannot find it stated that you can water new plants with a hose, though you can with a watering can.
  • Options
    Friend’s planter on her balcony in Cologne just spontaneously combusted.
  • Options
    Looked like there was a big fire Dartford way when I was going for a walk just now. 
  • Options
    Dartford heath again from what I'm hearing.
  • Options
    That'll be the heat lamp too close to the grow 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    who on earth would swim in the sea at Folkestone? Place is a khazi
    Not having that. It’s glorious. Swam in there 2 mornings in a row in July. Mermaid beach. Plenty of people doing the same. 
    Yes, but they had just jumped off dinghy’s 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    That'll be the heat lamp too close to the grow 
    Actually not in Cologne.  She's in Cologne, this was at her house in Nunhead - even more likely it was the grow lamp, admittedly.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    25c to 30c in August is called summer not a heatwave to panic about.
    It’s the drought, not the heat. Well, both in combination. 
    two days ago my rain barrel/water butt was nigh on empty .. the sky has been cloudless all week, everyone has been praying for rain, the weather forecasts make no mention of rain .. BUT today my water butt is full .. the ground is dry and so is the garden soil .. there must have been a terrific overnight rainfall and nobody here seems to have noticed.  OR .. am I living in a parallel universe where rain falls unnoticed and the garde4ns bloom forever ? .. answers on a postcard please
    A giraffe wandered over from the serengetti-esque wolds and took a massive piss in it?
  • Options
    Dartford heath again from what I'm hearing.
    Probably another BBQ
  • Options
    Thunder and lighting rolling down the Thames in Greenhithe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cooler here today, nice breeze, I can feel the rain will be here this evening
  • Options
    We’ve been promised rain and thunderstorms from today all weekend, yet my phone is showing nothing forecast until Wednesday at the earliest now.
  • Options
    Chucking it down in North London (Golders Green), hoorah
  • Options
    South East Water have said they have reduced leaks by 15% and their target is to halve leaks by 2050, that is unacceptable.  All profits should be ploughed back into dealing with leaks, it is crazy that water companies are allowed to get away with so much. 
    Shareholders expect a return on capital employed, if they are not provided with it there will be no funding to fund the continuing operation and all the capital schemes that are undertaken every year. It’s not quite as simple as just plough all profits back into dealing with leaks.

And It’s not like gas and electric where water companies can just put prices up. They are regulated and any increased revenue driven by higher demand has to be paid back to customers as part of the next price review.
  • Options
    The current funding model is failing the public. Perhaps we need a new ownership and funding system and an acknowledgement that private ownership is not suitable for natural monopolies.
  • Options
    Should we as customers also be prepared to pay more for what is a precious and under-appreciated resource, esp as climate change begins to impact in an unprecedented way?

South East Water has confirmed the average household will pay £221 a year or 60 pence a day for their tap water supply from 1 April 22.

• Options
    The failing has been with the regulation, which hasn't set strict enough standards.

It is worth noting, that part of the problem, especially in the southeast, is the extra housing being built, all using the same water mains, meaning water being pumped through at higher pressure, increasing the chance of burst water mains. And while the water companies may be flawed, if under control of the state then any investment can easily be turned off by politicians wanting to spend money elsewhere.
  • Options
    Woke up this morning at 4.30 as the dog needed a piss, it was so hot inside I took her for a walk, it’s not even cool outside at 4.45am ffs
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Not having that. It’s glorious. Swam in there 2 mornings in a row in July. Mermaid beach. Plenty of people doing the same. 
    Mermaids?! Really? Wow, are you actually a mermaid then @suzisausage
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The économist Maxime Combes has named the June 2022 heatwave TotalEnergies n°1. Scientists are pushing for heatwaves to be named (as we do already with hurricanes) and to name them after the most polluting companies on the planet. Bring it on, I say.

Here's a list for the first 90:

https://www.science.org/content/article/just-90-companies-are-blame-most-climate-change-carbon-accountant-says
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    . oops, wrong thread
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Just had a letter from my provider (Affinity) and our water bill is actually going down this year
  • Options
    Mermaids?! Really? Wow, are you actually a mermaid then @suzisausage
    There were no mermaids. I think it’s because of the shape of the concrete tidal rock thing. (My geography gcse fails me for the word). 

Or the cafe at the back of the bay. 
  • Options
    Still no rain here in Swanley. The only day this week it rained was Tuesday & although we had a fair amount it was only for 2 or 3 hours. No deluges or flooding that other parts of the country had. Even on Wednesday when the Test match at Lords was rained off from 3pm we had nothing. I travelled down to see a client in Ashford & still nothing going down or coming back. 

Where the fuck is the rain !
  • Options
    The temperature at the moment is 4 degrees above the average for this time of year, and some parts of Southern Europe are still seeing 32.5 degrees.  I was reading about the Thwaites ice sheet in the western Antarctic today.  I think we’re going to screwed so much sooner than we thought 😩 very bad.  
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    cabbles said:
    The temperature at the moment is 4 degrees above the average for this time of year, and some parts of Southern Europe are still seeing 32.5 degrees.  I was reading about the Thwaites ice sheet in the western Antarctic today.  I think we’re going to screwed so much sooner than we thought 😩 very bad.  
    It's dreadful, I'd recommend watching the final programme in the BBC Frozen Planet 2 series. It explains how the melting of both Arctic and Antarctic ice sheets, glaciers and sea ice is accelerating and the effect it is having on the planet. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Still no rain here in Swanley. The only day this week it rained was Tuesday & although we had a fair amount it was only for 2 or 3 hours. No deluges or flooding that other parts of the country had. Even on Wednesday when the Test match at Lords was rained off from 3pm we had nothing. I travelled down to see a client in Ashford & still nothing going down or coming back. 

Ah, I see where the rain was. It was there all along, and has now decided to make an appearance. All 3 months of it. 
  • Options

Ah, I see where the rain was. It was there all along, and has now decided to make an appearance. All 3 months of it. 
    Extreme weather is a product of global warming.
  • Options
    If 22 today didn’t hammer home the problems we’ve got then I don’t know what will.  We need real leaders who have to do so much more 
  • Options
    What a lovely day.