Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    There was a huge crop fire near Lenham in Kent yesterday

Dreadful fires in United States, Yosemite National Park and Lake Mead showing as almost empty. We visited both in the early 80s and Lake Mead was a huge body of water, so very sad to see it so depleted. Yosemite National Park was stunning and again it's very sad to see if ablaze.

We have to do more to keep temperature rises to a minimum. 
    We’re on day 7 of our heatwave here in Boston. It’s normal for us to have heatwaves (3 or more days over 90F - 32C) but this one seems longer than usual. 

As someone pointed our earlier, the big difference is that we expect these, just like we expect 4 feet of snow in the winter. As a result much is designed around that, and during periods like this, cooling centers are opened for people who don’t have a/c. 
  • Options
    Sat, Sun & Monday next week reading 27 each day.  Would normally get excited about that in years gone by, but given recent events it’s not as exciting anymore :-( 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Rudders22 said:
    More fires. Fire brigade are tackling forest fires in Surrey, one in Hayes and one in Thamesmead as well as other locations.  London Fire Brigade declared  major incident in London. 
    There's a forest in Thamesmead? 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    More fires. Fire brigade are tackling forest fires in Surrey, one in Hayes and one in Thamesmead as well as other locations.  London Fire Brigade declared  major incident in London. 
    Wouldn’t call it a forest, but the Thames Path is lined with woodland from West Thamesmead down towards Erith. There is an accompanying park where Gallions Hill is. This is ‘West Thamesmead’ which is actually quite a distance from the main part of Thamesmead most people will know.

I live about 2 mins walk from the fire - and it’s currently taped off by police and fire brigade. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Trumpton on call
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    The Thamesmead one has been quoted as making £2 million in improvements
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Sorry I should have said tip !

• Options
    edited July 2022
    There was a huge crop fire near Lenham in Kent yesterday

Dreadful fires in United States, Yosemite National Park and Lake Mead showing as almost empty. We visited both in the early 80s and Lake Mead was a huge body of water, so very sad to see it so depleted. Yosemite National Park was stunning and again it's very sad to see if ablaze.

We have to do more to keep temperature rises to a minimum. 
    We’re on day 7 of our heatwave here in Boston. It’s normal for us to have heatwaves (3 or more days over 90F - 32C) but this one seems longer than usual. 

As someone pointed our earlier, the big difference is that we expect these, just like we expect 4 feet of snow in the winter. As a result much is designed around that, and during periods like this, cooling centers are opened for people who don’t have a/c. 
    Looks like your going to get some rain later in Boston (BBC). Lived in NJ (right on the Hudson river) from Sept 2000 to March 2001, it was hot in September around 80f but by the time Christmas came it was freezing.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    last Tuesday 19th was 38 degrees c around here .. yesterday Tuesday 26th was 17 degrees c .. yoyo weather
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got my first lot of rain this morning for almost a month.

Fecking problem is that we are on holiday in Cornwall. 20° & drizzle !!!!

As the Pet Shop Boys once sang....what have I done to deserve this.
  • Options
    Got my first lot of rain this morning for almost a month.

Fecking problem is that we are on holiday in Cornwall. 20° & drizzle !!!!

As the Pet Shop Boys once sang....what have I done to deserve this.
    Lived there for 10 years before we came back, always rains(-:
  • Options
    This is exactly the sort of positioning we should be taking imo, regardless of how drastic it sounds 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/01/climate-endgame-risk-human-extinction-scientists-global-heating-catastrophe?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    Why would human extinction be a bad thing ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Looking at it from an objective view of a planet 4.5bn years old and our place on it, I take your point.

from a personal view I’m not quite ready for extinction just yet.  Besides, we’re in our what, 10th season out of 15 in league one, who wouldn’t want life on earth to continue for as long as possible given that consistency 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    It wouldn't just be humans, it would be almost all mammals and most reptiles too. It would cause a shift in the foodchain that would spiral out of control and would be an almost complete mass extinction event. 
  • Options
    Cats and dogs, living together…..
  • Options
    This was quite entertaining re' human extinction -

https://youtu.be/l11zPNb-MFg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    South East Water has today announced a ban on hosepipes and sprinklers from 12th August.

https://www.southeastwater.co.uk/about/updates/tubs
  • Options
    ME14addick said:
    South East Water has today announced a ban on hosepipes and sprinklers from 12th August.

Doesn't actually cover me as I'm thames water. But the old boy next door (lived in that house longer than I've been alive) has been and brought himself 3 massive water butts. Not to connect to the downpipe on the back of his house or on his shed but to fill up from the hose in the anticipation of a hosepipe ban so that he would still be able to water his garden. I even offered to connect one to his shed for him but he said he's not bothered about collecting it. He's confident he's found a way to beat the system.

Facepalm 
    Bet he's got a motor, tank full to the brim, for his 5 miles a week shopping trip
  • Options

"The demand for water this summer has broken all previous records, including the Covid lockdown heatwave. We have been producing an additional 120 million litres of water a day to supply our customers, which is the equivalent of supplying a futher four towns the size of Maidstone or Eastbourne, daily.

"We are taking this step to ensure we have enough water for both essential use and to protect the environment. This will enable us to also reduce the amount of water we need to take from already stressed local water sources."

But they're not going to bring in the hosepipe ban for another week and half, so people can use their hosepipes and reduce water supplies even more. Well done.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    ME14addick said:

Doesn't actually cover me as I'm thames water. But the old boy next door (lived in that house longer than I've been alive) has been and brought himself 3 massive water butts. Not to connect to the downpipe on the back of his house or on his shed but to fill up from the hose in the anticipation of a hosepipe ban so that he would still be able to water his garden. I even offered to connect one to his shed for him but he said he's not bothered about collecting it. He's confident he's found a way to beat the system.

Facepalm 
    Bet he's got a motor, tank full to the brim, for his 5 miles a week shopping trip
    Got a large SUV for a man that has lived alone for 30 years and has no family. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    ME14addick said:

Facepalm 
    Got a large SUV for a man that has lived alone for 30 years and has no family. 
    Reckon forensics need an afternoon on that by the sound of it
  • Options
    Ross said:

"The demand for water this summer has broken all previous records, including the Covid lockdown heatwave. We have been producing an additional 120 million litres of water a day to supply our customers, which is the equivalent of supplying a futher four towns the size of Maidstone or Eastbourne, daily.

"We are taking this step to ensure we have enough water for both essential use and to protect the environment. This will enable us to also reduce the amount of water we need to take from already stressed local water sources."

But they're not going to bring in the hosepipe ban for another week and half, so people can use their hosepipes and reduce water supplies even more. Well done.

I suppose they need time to make sure everyone is aware of the ban.
  • Options
    Ross said:

I suppose they need time to make sure everyone is aware of the ban.
    Fair point, but all it will do is what I've said above. Everyone will be washing their cars between now and the 12th, and giving their gardens a good old water on the evening of the 11th. Just seems counter intuitive to me.
  • Options
    Much needed rain here yesterday
  • Options
    Much needed rain here yesterday
    Where abouts are you then @Lincsaddick ?