Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    I blame David Attenborough. He must have criss crossed the planet hundreds of times recording his programmes. 

Me.....I've not flown anywhere for almost 15 years. And I drive a diesel car. 

Carbon footprint mate. 
    15 years without a holiday - no wonder you are so miserable. 
    There are some beautiful places in the UK.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I wouldn't trust anyone that uses a plumber to replace a boiler. The main reason being that you'd actually need a heating engineer.

If they are qualified as both then, well, smashing. If not then you most definitely wouldn't need a plumber unless they had gas safe qualifications.
  • Options

Fundamental proof, if it were needed, that this year is drier than last.

Can you put up an equivalent image from when it last snowed so that we can be in no doubt that when it snows the ground looks different from when it doesn't snow?

Climate change is real, but if you need to provide evidence, focus on climate, not weather...
    Perhaps these will satisfy better. https://climate.nasa.gov/interactives/climate-time-machine
  • Options
    Stig said:

Can you put up an equivalent image from when it last snowed so that we can be in no doubt that when it snows the ground looks different from when it doesn't snow?

Climate change is real, but if you need to provide evidence, focus on climate, not weather...
    Perhaps these will satisfy better. https://climate.nasa.gov/interactives/climate-time-machine

I fear you may have fundamentally missed my point...

A picture of drier land this year versus last year is no more representative of climate change than the fact that ice lolly sales will be higher this year versus last year. It's called weather...

If you want to inform people about climate change, use pictures that are related to climate change. A disappearing glacier over a number of years. That's proof, and there is plenty of it...
  • Options
    Stig said:

A picture of drier land this year versus last year is no more representative of climate change than the fact that ice lolly sales will be higher this year versus last year. It's called weather...

If you want to inform people about climate change, use pictures that are related to climate change. A disappearing glacier over a number of years. That's proof, and there is plenty of it...
    That's precisely what I posted in that NASA link.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

Then I think we are agreeing that showing a satellite image of 2021 versus 2022 is nonsense.
  • Options
    It's not the death of the planet. The planet will be fine. It may be the death of a lot of us, mostly in places a long way away.

The planet will be fine. 

https://youtu.be/BB0aFPXr4n4
    This was the thinking a few years ago but us really not the science anymore.

If nothing else the world is far too interconnected we rely on so many of these countries for our food. We will have serious civil unrest if not a full societal breakdown. People will be killing over water - in this country. Life as we know it will be over.

Even if it doesn't cause mass deaths in this country (the science says it will) does it suddenly became okay that the mass deaths happen in Africa and Asia? Is it okay if whole continents become uninhabitable?

The timescales on this are much shorter than people are assuming as well. Its the exponential growth of all of this. We are already 30-50 years ahead of where they thought we would be even 5-10 years ago. Thats only gonna get bigger. 

It's almost too late to act. 
    It seems that someone is saying what I've said for a long time, only I believe that it is already too late. 
    The time for urgency was 20-30 years ago. I want us to still try and fight climate change (if only to save other species) but I lost hope for humanity some time ago.
    I'm on holiday in Greece at the moment and just the amount of plastic on the beaches is staggering. The ignorance of people is unbelievable, and that's just in Europe. Asia is never going to do what is needed in time to save the planet.

Indonesia is absolutely disgusting in regards to pollution…..positively archaic.

• Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

Then I think we are agreeing that showing a satellite image of 2021 versus 2022 is nonsense.
    ... and the Nasa data isn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

... and the Nasa data isn't. 
    correct
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Plenty about Climate Change from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

https://www.ipcc.ch/
  • Options
    I wouldn't trust anyone that uses a plumber to replace a boiler. The main reason being that you'd actually need a heating engineer.

If they are qualified as both then, well, smashing. If not then you most definitely wouldn't need a plumber unless they had gas safe qualifications.
    Phenomenal effort at missing the point. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022

To be fair, mate, it's probably a spectacular effort on your part to have completely ignored/missed (wilfully or otherwise and for reasons, if there are any, I'm not party to) the fact that it was a facecious comment based on nothing more than a correction of a well meaning post.
  • Options

To be fair, mate, it's probably a spectacular effort on you part to have completely ignored/missed (wilfully or otherwise and for reasons, if there are any, I'm not party to) the fact that it was a facecious comment based on nothing more than a correction of a well meaning post.
    Or it was just me using a metaphor to explain why ignoring experts on certain professions is not something that should be encouraged, mate. 
  • Options

To be fair, mate, it's probably a spectacular effort on you part to have completely ignored/missed (wilfully or otherwise and for reasons, if there are any, I'm not party to) the fact that it was a facecious comment based on nothing more than a correction of a well meaning post.
    Or it was just me using a metaphor to explain why ignoring experts on certain professions is not something that should be encouraged, mate. 
    .....and that's absolutely fine. I made a light hearted comment about not needing a plumber as they can't replace boilers and here we are  :/
  • Options

.....and that's absolutely fine. I made a light hearted comment about not needing a plumber as they can't replace boilers and here we are  :/
    Okay fair doos, my plumber did for the record, but yes we’re probably veering off topic a little.
  • Options

Okay fair doos, my plumber did for the record, but yes we’re probably veering off topic a little.
    Deffo gas certified as well then  ;)
  • Options
    Freezing me bollocks off tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Is your boiler broke by any chance??
    And he asked a plumber to fix it
  • Options
    The lack of rain and thunderstorms down south is annoying, when other parts of the country have had loads of rain today
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Kind of. Painters in
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    And he asked a plumber to fix it
    Well it is his freezing plums
  • Options
    More fires. Fire brigade are tackling forest fires in Surrey, one in Hayes and one in Thamesmead as well as other locations.  London Fire Brigade declared  major incident in London. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    More fires. Fire brigade are tackling forest fires in Surrey, one in Hayes and one in Thamesmead as well as other locations.  London Fire Brigade declared  major incident in London. 
    The Surrey one is down the road from me. Hankley Common, where they filmed Skyfall ending scene
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Rudders22 said:
    The Surrey one is down the road from me. Hankley Common, where they filmed Skyfall ending scene
    Great golf course.
  • Options
    There was a huge crop fire near Lenham in Kent yesterday

Dreadful fires in United States, Yosemite National Park and Lake Mead showing as almost empty. We visited both in the early 80s and Lake Mead was a huge body of water, so very sad to see it so depleted. Yosemite National Park was stunning and again it's very sad to see if ablaze.

We have to do more to keep temperature rises to a minimum. 
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Rudders22 said:
    I hope you are ok bud?

Do you need to be evacuated?