Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    The fact is we are on a course to disaster as a planet. That is 100% given. The trouble is very few of us are willing to change our lives enough to slow it down globally.

That isnt over reacting it's cold hard facts, not in our lifetime perhaps but certainly within the next 100 years
    You’re 100% right. That’s why we need a government that will actually take drastic steps, and change our behaviours. (eg two holidays flights a year only.)

It probably will be in our lifetimes, even us ‘seniors’, and action needs to be taken now. Problem is, governments are short term, and they’d rather spend money on tax cuts or services. 
  • Options
    Well it has just started to rain in Petts Wood.  Sirting outside with a cold beer :)
  • Options
    That makes Clive sound like Typhoid Mary AFKA!
  • Options
    Did they have these flash fires in 1976?
    A couple of them were a bit loud and lairy, but flash is bit OTT 😉
  • Options
    I got a bottle of water from the little shop at the station this morning and glanced at the papers, where The Scum had 43c plastered on the front…
    43c? Must have been for the American market.
    You’d be hard pressed to find anyone in the US who could tell you what 43c is. 
  • Options
    Seen a lot of sarcasm last couple of days from toughies about snowflakes, coping with the heat etc. Don’t mind admitting I’ve found the last couple of days at home very difficult to work through and it’s had a clear effect.

I’m generally fit and never sleep during the day, yet I was asleep at lunchtime on Sunday, within 5 mins of finishing work yesterday I’d fallen asleep, slept fine through the night yet after I dropped my son off this morning I then fell asleep twice when I got home, waking up at 9.20 when I should have started work an hour earlier. Got through today and then fell asleep for 45 mins again as soon as I’d finished this afternoon. Just feel groggy and like it’s drained everything out of me. If it’s hitting me like that, what the hell must it be doing to the elderly and vulnerable? 
    Lots of fluids, a wet towel around you etc. The reason you feel tired is during the heat your body is using up it's energy to stop you overheating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sky News is amongst the very worst of doom mongerers in this country.
    They have been showing the same loop of the Wennington fire for over 3 hours now and nothing else.
    They are desperate for this fire to spread across London and create a modern day Armageddon!
    It needs to be shown so that those who keep downplaying the effects of Climate Change can see what we're facing.
    It is not just climate change, we have had a dry hot summer so far and grass dries out. Plenty of instances of forest fires all over the country in years gone bye, sadly caused by nature, a stray fag butt, disposable BBQ's, littered glass bottles & dickheads having a laugh. 

Yes its been a hot couple of days, yes the high temps are probably down to climate change but you cannot pin everything on it, accidents, nature and dickheads have been around for a long time and will continue to be so.  
    An oxymoron if ever I have heard one. 

Yes, the majority of fires are man-made. However, the reason they require 30 fire engines-plus to sort out today is because of the heat and speed at which these fires spread due to the weather (and therefore climate change). 
    My point is that we are in July, which as we all know is a summer month. I am 64 and as long as I can remember the grass becomes dormant and dries out in June, July and August and therefore becomes more of a fire risk. 

Our history books in the UK are littered with field/forest fires from the New Forest to the glens in Scotland some long before kids could spell climate change 
  • Options
    They have been showing the same loop of the Wennington fire for over 3 hours now and nothing else.
    They are desperate for this fire to spread across London and create a modern day Armageddon!
    It needs to be shown so that those who keep downplaying the effects of Climate Change can see what we're facing.
    It is not just climate change, we have had a dry hot summer so far and grass dries out. Plenty of instances of forest fires all over the country in years gone bye, sadly caused by nature, a stray fag butt, disposable BBQ's, littered glass bottles & dickheads having a laugh. 

Yes its been a hot couple of days, yes the high temps are probably down to climate change but you cannot pin everything on it, accidents, nature and dickheads have been around for a long time and will continue to be so.  

Yes, the majority of fires are man-made. However, the reason they require 30 fire engines-plus to sort out today is because of the heat and speed at which these fires spread due to the weather (and therefore climate change). 
    My point is that we are in July, which as we all know is a summer month. I am 64 and as long as I can remember the grass becomes dormant and dries out in June, July and August and therefore becomes more of a fire risk. 

Our history books in the UK are littered with field/forest fires from the New Forest to the glens in Scotland some long before kids could spell climate change 
    West Ham started it
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Raining in Bexleyheath now
    SkyNews BREAKING - *Flood warning in North Kent*

Just to spice the thread up a bit
    Both of those extremes described my crack after doing the school pick up with all the kids books
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:
    The fact is we are on a course to disaster as a planet. That is 100% given. The trouble is very few of us are willing to change our lives enough to slow it down globally.

That isnt over reacting it's cold hard facts, not in our lifetime perhaps but certainly within the next 100 years
    You’re 100% right. That’s why we need a government that will actually take drastic steps, and change our behaviours. (eg two holidays flights a year only.)

It probably will be in our lifetimes, even us ‘seniors’, and action needs to be taken now. Problem is, governments are short term, and they’d rather spend money on tax cuts or services. 
    Get you with your two holiday flights per year limit being a "drastic step"!
    Is that there and back?
    This made me laugh more than it should 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:

Throw in a Gary Lineker tweet and it’s war. 
  • Options
    Hark…thunder coming in from Maidstone

hold me!
  • Options
    Highest temperature today was at RAF Coningsby Lincolnshire 40.3…….a few miles north of Boston.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:

Both of those extremes described my crack after doing the school pick up with all the kids books
    TMI McBobbin! TMI!
  • Options

Has it been 40 degrees before then?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    Hilarious. 
    Lighten up 
    OI PUT THAT OUT YOU’LL CAUSE A FIRE!!!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:

Throw in a Gary Lineker tweet and it’s war. 

• Options
    Has anyone seen that farmer in spain head towards the fire in his bulldozer to dig a fire ditch when you see the digger disappear as the flames engulf him?